Columbus, Ohio

Setanta

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 05:48 am
Sozobe, Clintonville is located about two miles north of the OSU campus on either side of High Street (which is the east side of the campus). From roughly Hudson north to East North Broadway (some would say as far as Henderson Road, but between North Broadway and Henderson is mostly commercial), Clintonville is very much the affluent working to middle class neighborhood. Schools are "ok" public schools, the neighborhood has a lot of young thirty-somethings, and reasonably progressive ideas in that age group. The houses are largely depression era, although Clintonville has been there for some time, and there are some older houses; and Columbus has grown in all directions, enveloping the town from the south. This would be a good neighborhood to live in, a very "homey" place with an urban touch.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 08:33 am
Hey, sounds pretty good.

Except the "OK" public schools part... can you give me any more info along those lines? (And THANKS, again, for being such a great resource.)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 08:35 am
Simply that i don't have any information that the schools in Clintonville are in any way superior to other Columbus public schools. It is a neighborhood in which parents are likely to be active in such matters, however.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 08:38 am
Hey, very promising!

What about, like, trees, parks, general feel of the neighborhood geographically?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 09:21 am
Fair amount of trees--tree lined streets when you get off the High Street. Not many parks, but a real biggy nearby, the Park of the Roses, which has an annual rose festival. The park itself is extensive, so it would be good for dogs, small humans, etc. Geographically, Clintonville has that odd feel of so much of Columbus. I once interviewed at the Department of Water, which agency used the interview board method--all the supervisors in a department interview the candidate. I made a remark which probably cost me the job, although the gentleman who would have been my immediate supervisor agreed with me. I said: "Columbus isn't so much a city as it is an agglomeration of small towns." Others on the board resented what they saw as a slur on the city. But in fact, with Clintonville, Grandview Heights, Marble Cliff, Mifflin township, Bexley, etc., that is what you have. Since the 1940's, Columbus has grown outward in all direction, scooping up all of these townships in the process. So Clintonville is that weird sort of entity you find around here, a small town set in the middle of a large city.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 12:55 pm
Well that sounds just about poifect!

Very Happy

<Gettin' happier about a possible move, which is looking increasingly possible BUT nothing definite yet>
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 08:08 pm
Bexley?

Merion village?

(HUGELY appreciative, really. E.G. may get the verdict as early as Thursday. Yoiks.)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 08:15 pm
Don't know what Merion village is, although there is a small city named Marion about an hour northwest of here . . .
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 08:17 pm
Huh. Seeing a lot of "Merion Village"s. Like this:

http://www.realtor.com/Prop/1031889027

(Not so much that house, but first example I found.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 08:25 pm
Thursday, Friday, godforbidtheweekendwait, listening here.

Well, whatever. I lived in Ohio once or twice. Dayton, 1942 - 46; summer of '54, when I was twelve. Long stories, short memorable memories.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 08:25 pm
Go back to that site, and click on the "map and directions" icon. On the map, click to zoom out, click twice, no more, no less. You will see Interstate 70 to the north. That neighborhood is not bad, but the environs ain't so pretty. The city's trash burning power plant (now shut down for several years) used to dump a ton of PCB's there, and the whole neighborhood reeked. On the maps, you'll see a green rectangle at the top, left of center. That is Schiller Park, on the sound side of German village. I had never heard that that particular neighborhood was called Merion Village. I don't regret that, the less time i spend in that part of town, the better i like it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 08:29 pm
According to the map, that's near the Africentric School.

Part of the directions from Setanta's zip code :

Turn right on Mine Ln 0.0

3. Turn left on Hilliard Rome Rd 1.1

4. Take ramp and go East on I 70 E (West Fwy E) 9.1

5. At exit 100A take ramp to W Fulton St 0.2

6. Straight on W Livingston Ave 0.1

7. Go South on Us Hwy 23 (S High St) 1.1

8. Turn left on Hanford St 0.2

I think I know where this is. Let's see if Setanta chimes in. (I think we drove in this neighbourhood when I was there last)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 08:32 pm
Quote:
Essentially, our main boundaries are German Village to the north, the Scioto River to the west, Route 104 and Markison to the south, and Goethe Alley (just west of Parsons) to the east. Our boundaries were previously larger, but for now we are focusing on this area. When issues come up outside or our boundaries, we decide whether or not to get involved on a case-by-case basis.

http://www.netwalk.com/~dougr/merion.html
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 08:33 pm
Miss Girl, when we went to Mr. Bailey's Lecture on Why I hate German Poets, we parked on the south side of Schiller park. The street to the west of us is City Park. You'll see that on the map. That neighborhood was about half-a-mile south of us. The park we visited is at the south end of the high-rent district in German village. For about four or five blocks south of that park, one is still in what was once German village, and technically still is, but the Gays and Yuppies who now inhabit German village would deny that. I still remember in the days when German village had not quite gotten trendy, the tone was decidedly working class, with a strong dose of West Virginia West. That has now receded to the south--the neighborhood about which Our Dear Sozobe is inquiring.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 08:36 pm
snow nudging along the curbs, stalwart houses braving the winter chill...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 08:36 pm
I wondered if it was the neighbourhood we drove through, between the Old Deaf School Park and the Conservatory - when we were going back to, and along, High Street.

Very neat stuff about Merion Village History here ...... click

The schools in the area don't seem to be too prosperous. Some not too flattering photos found through a google search.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 08:41 pm
That article refers to Parsons Avenue, which is quite a bit to the east of the map location which Soz' site provides. That part of Parsons Avenue is not very prosperous, either, for that matter. In fact, i wouldn't call any of the neighborhoods of Parsons Avenue prosperous. The farther south you go on either High Street, or Parsons Avenue, about a mile or a mile-and-a-half east of High Street, and more or less parallel (as much so as any streets in Columbus, which habitually wander), the more you enter the sad neighborhoods, abandoned by the flight of industry, but saddled with the tombs of factories and warehouse. Imagine Spadina fifty years ago.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 08:45 pm
Hey, a Columbus thread!

I spent a year at the Pontifical College Josephinum before coming to a mutual decision with my religious superiors that my vocation lay elsewhere.

Worked with kids at the Boy's Club and took clandestine karate lessons at a Y near Schiller Park.

Went back there to visit friends I had made and got involved in a long-distance (Boston-Columbus) relationship that was both intense and doomed.

Queen City of the Scioto!

Sports note - used to be a minor league affiliate of the California Golden Seals. Any guesses what sport?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 08:59 pm
Let's see.

hmmmmm, George from Ma. There's only one sport I can think of - Soccer!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 09:04 pm
They now have The Crew, an MLS franchise . . .
0 Replies