Help me plan our Great American Vacation

FreeDuck

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 11:52 am
@Diane,
That sounds downright luxurious! Thank you Diane. It looks like we will be there the 26th of May and heading out to the Grand Canyon the next day. There's a chance we may get there early enough to actually see Albuquerque. I'll pm you our contact info.

Thanks osso for contacting Diane, and Tico, we will most definitely wave to you.
Diane

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 06:44 pm
@FreeDuck,
So glad you'll be driving through Albuquerque. Osso, Butrflynet, Bumble Bee will be here and I'll bet we can talk Roger into coming down from Farmington.
roger

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 07:09 pm
@Diane,
Likely. Days can be hard to schedule in, but late afternoons can be fit in quite well.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2013 08:11 am
Now that sounds lovely. I'm adding it to my list of things to look forward to on this trip.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2013 11:49 am
@Diane,
Diane is a kickass host. Also, she's a kickass markswoman if one of the kids should ever misbehave.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2013 12:31 pm
@Thomas,
Well, I've always had the emergency phone number of the Albuquerque Family Advocacy Center at hand ... but tried to behave, too Wink
roger

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2013 12:36 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Always best to be prepared.
0 Replies

John devid

Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2013 11:24 pm
@FreeDuck,
The Great American Vacation are Yellowstone,San Diego,San Francisco,Yosemite,Orlando-Walt Disney World etc famous attractions are there.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 03:21 pm
@FreeDuck,
Just happened to pop into this thread based on Chicago Joe's reference to your travels. When you set your dates for the San Francisco area, please let me know. Be more than happy to show you around Northern California.
Also, your plans to visit Chicago is on my notice meter, so let us know the dates of your visits to the Windy City. I'm due for another jaunt to one of my favorite midwest cities.

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 07:55 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Thanks ci. As of now we look to be in San Fran from May 31 to June 2 and would love to see it from the eyes of a local. Chicago will be towards the end -- nothing firm but probably around the 13th of June.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 08:44 pm
@FreeDuck,
All within the last hour or so, my friend who lives in Mexico called to tell me our trip that was planned several months ago is a "go," and it conflicts with your dates in San Francisco. Sorry, but I'll be away from May 26 to April 9. Maybe Cyclo can be your host while you are here.

I'm sure Cyclo will do a yeoman's job, and you'll also enjoy his company.

jdenny

Reply Thu 9 May, 2013 03:30 am
@FreeDuck,
I suggest you van is the better choice for you. This is a great way to spend time together with the kids. The places are beautiful and good option to enjoy a vacation with family and also for friends.
FreeDuck

Reply Thu 9 May, 2013 06:39 am
@cicerone imposter,
Oh, that sounds fun, CI. No worries, I'm sure we will find our way around just fine. I was planning to get a city pass and just wander the city for two days and see what we can get into. Have fun on your trip!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 9 May, 2013 06:43 am
@jdenny,
Thanks! I went with a diesel station wagon that should save us several hundred dollars on the trip and still have room to bring our own food and camping gear.
0 Replies

Krocker360

Reply Tue 28 May, 2013 06:23 am
RV is the best option you can still put tent if ever you want to, and you are right it's the Great Vacation.
You should start where you're near, btw, where you from?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 28 May, 2013 02:15 pm
Some of us have gotten to meet Ducky (wonderful, smart, sane, likes her children) and her children (almost more wonderful and enjoy their mother). Roger and Diane met them for a repast at Flying Star and then came to my house for a few minutes. I've been dealing with advanced dog pee issues for umpteen weeks and we're on the last round of antibios or else veterinary stuff, so I don't leave for long. But - the last two days have been quieter, pee-wise. So I went with them and Diane for breakfast yesterday morning - excellent experience.

They were headed for the Grand Canyon. I stifled myself on things they could see in California since I don't like being told any of that myself.

My life long love of travel (not that I have all that much) was from traversing the U.S. with my parents, all so long ago.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 28 May, 2013 02:36 pm
Free Ducky, here's a link, us smiling about your trip - I didn't read the well wishes to you before breakfast, so here they are -

http://able2know.org/topic/3742-498#post-5338939
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 28 May, 2013 08:13 pm
@ossobuco,
The house has been far too quiet and lonely since Free Duck and her children left on Memorial Day.

She is wonderful, smart, funny and a beautiful mom. Her kids are funny, loving each other and mom openly. They all have a great sense of play and enjoy playing games on ipads with each other and mom.

I hope they have enjoyed the Grand Canyon and that the weather has cooperated.

We are all looking forward to hearing from the Free Ducks during their travels.

oxoxoxox
Ticomaya

Reply Tue 28 May, 2013 09:30 pm
@Diane,
I trust FD waved to me to the South as she passed by on her way to the Big Ditch. Too bad she didn't have enough time to swing by.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2013 09:45 pm
Ah man, sorry we didn't have time to visit with you, Tico, but we loved the Big Ditch. Diane is a fabulous host and I enjoyed visiting with Roger and Osso. Wish we had more time but Diane was a champ and took us around to see so much more than we thought we would have time for. You guys are truly the bestest!

We stayed two nights at the Big Ditch and even managed a few little hikes and adventures. I've never seen anything like it but.... I love Yosemite so much more. Can't even begin to describe it. We came in through the back door from Nevada after visiting my uncle and aunt in Las Vegas (where they took us to the old strip and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves) and could hardly believe the number of amazing things we saw. Red trees, blue waters, bizarre rock formations and waterfalls. The place itself feels spiritual and I think we should have booked at least three nights there instead of just two. I'd like to go back right now actually.

Just made it to San Francisco this evening and plan to explore it tomorrow using the city pass. I'll update again when I have something more interesting to say. For now I'll just say it's a big beautiful country and I've still not seen the half of it.