Help me plan our Great American Vacation

Thomas

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2013 09:54 am
@FreeDuck,
When in San Francisco, I usually stay in the Chateau Tivoli, a Victorian B&B that's central enough to walk most places, and that sits near a bus line bringing you almost everywhere else in town. I loved it, and they do have big-enough suites to hold a family a of four for a night or two. One caveat: It's been five years since I last visited San Francisco (at least three years too long, now that I think of it). So if the place had changed for the worse, I wouldn't know. But a quick look at ratings on the internet suggests that everything is still good --- that is, unless you prefer big-box chain hotels over B&Bs.

http://www.chateautivoli.com/
FreeDuck

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2013 10:39 am
@Thomas,
Thanks Thomas! I'll check it out. I have no real preference in accommodations other than good location and affordability. Everything else is bonus.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 07:19 pm
@FreeDuck,
Hey, glad it's happening!

Will you be going through Columbus at all?
FreeDuck

Reply Sun 21 Apr, 2013 07:12 pm
@sozobe,
Hey! Sadly I think the closest we will get to Columbus is Chicago. I'm still working out the second half of the route but at the moment we have a few days planned in Duluth MN before we head back to ATL, with a stop in Chicago to break it up.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 21 Apr, 2013 07:45 pm
@FreeDuck,
Ducky - I've been a precise planner and a desultory planner, and both work.
Some places may take more time than you imagine. Listen to your heart.
FreeDuck

Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2013 08:35 am
@ossobuco,
I know what you mean, osso. I have both firm reservations for this trip and some very very loose ideas of where we will be on other parts of it. I'm consolidating a list of friends of friends and free places to stay just in case plans change and hotels/campgrounds are not available.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2013 10:30 am
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:

Hey! Sadly I think the closest we will get to Columbus is Chicago. I'm still working out the second half of the route but at the moment we have a few days planned in Duluth MN before we head back to ATL, with a stop in Chicago to break it up.

I'm sure the Chicago A2K contingent would love to see you if you have the time.
FreeDuck

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2013 11:58 am
@joefromchicago,
Thanks Joe! I hope I will have time.
0 Replies

John devid

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 01:32 am
@FreeDuck,
Move to Florida...

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 08:21 am
@John devid,
I was born and raised there. I will never live there again. Thanks for the suggestion.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 08:24 am
Any Albuquerque folks have space to put up one adult and two kids on or around the 26th of May? It looks like that will be the most convenient place for us to stop over on the last leg of our journey. We don't take up too much space and will bring food. Smile
ossobuco

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 08:32 am
@FreeDuck,
Hi, Ducky. I'd sure like to see you. I don't have the space myself. Or do I? You have sleeping bags? I'll think on that, moving some stuff around.
FreeDuck

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 09:06 am
@ossobuco,
We have sleeping bags, air mattresses, and a tent. We are not opposed to camping in someone's yard.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 09:21 am
@FreeDuck,
I'm thinking a no on this because of stuff going on with my dog. I'll pm you over the weekend.
FreeDuck

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 10:15 am
@ossobuco,
Ok, no worries. I've got plenty of time to make arrangements. Hope all is well with your dog.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 10:50 am
@FreeDuck,
She's been peeing in the house off and on and still - for a couple or 3 months now. She has a difficult to treat urinary tract infection, still taking antibiotics. If they don't work, there may be other more advanced treatments in store. Meantime, the house is not the healthiest place in the world to sleep on the floor, and outside's is no picnic either. Aside from dog doo, barking neighbor dogs, weeds, etc., I've seen black widows out there.

This makes me remember that my cousins found a camp ground for their rv over on highway 40, not too far away - not sure if that was also a regular camp ground.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 11:24 am
@FreeDuck,
New Mexico is back in the plans, eh?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 03:21 pm
Yikes, Osso, I'm sorry to hear that. Not much fun for you or the dog.

Hi Roger, yes it's back in the plans. Happens to be on the way to the Grand Canyon, which is our first official destination. I'm getting really excited.
Ticomaya

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 03:43 pm
@FreeDuck,
Be sure to wave as you pass by Flagstaff. I'm on the left.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 06:07 pm
@FreeDuck,
Freeduck, I live in Albuquerque and would love to put you up. I have a guest room with a pull out king size bed, good-sized sofa in the living room and a love seat that would fit me, a 5' 1" short person.

Let me know your plans. You have a standing invitation to stay here.