roger

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 12:22 am
@FreeDuck,
Sorry to hear that.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 03:03 am
@ossobuco,
But also of forest. Took me awhile, it wasn't my forest at first. But that passed.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 09:25 am
Hey FD,

I spent this weekend in Big Basin state Redwood forest, and heck - it's great and much closer to the bay area. I'd recommend this over or equal to the farther northern redwood forests -

www.bigbasin.org

Cheers
Cycloptichorn
FreeDuck

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 11:41 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Oh, thanks, Cyclop. I am still very much planning to do this vacation next year and love that I have so many great suggestions consolidated in one place -- this thread. Thanks everybody. I'll keep you posted on the plans.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 02:49 pm
@FreeDuck,
Well, we (Mrs. Walter and I) will do our 'Great American Vacation' in May/June. (Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Nevada, California and finally one week in and around Boston - four weeks all in all.)
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 03:27 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Good time of year to be visiting the southwest. Shouldn't be too terribly hot here yet.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 03:46 pm
@Butrflynet,
I know, it's not the first time that I've been there.
0 Replies

cphathaw

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2013 08:36 am
48 states in 5 days beginning and ending roanoke va thanks
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2013 12:57 pm
Well it's finally going to happen. Only took me a few years. The rough plan right now starts with the Grand Canyon in late May, followed by Yosemite, San Francisco, and Redwood National Park on the California coast. From there I would really love to make it to Glacier National Park and then to Minnesota to visit some old friends and my sister who will be there. There will be a little less camping than I had planned before, but I did invest in a brand new VW diesel wagon for the trip to save on gas for all the driving, and I have the important reservations in place. I really can't wait!!
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2013 01:01 pm
@FreeDuck,
A Freeduck sighting! Hi there!.

Sounds like a great trip to a lot of my favorite places. I look forward to hearing all about it and seeing the pictures.
FreeDuck

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2013 01:06 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thanks! I will try to post often from the road.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2013 01:10 pm
@FreeDuck,
Glad you still picked the Redwood National Park!
Setanta

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2013 01:11 pm
Well, i'll be go to Hell. A genuine Freeduck sighting! I hope you have a wonderful trip, and all the fun which is consistent with not being arrested.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2013 01:18 pm
That's a pleasure to see you back again, Freeduck!

(We did nearly the same route two years ago ... with a couple of more states, though, but missing some places you go to Wink )
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2013 01:20 pm
@ossobuco,
Free Duck - I can't remember if I told you about this thread; I think not, since you were going to go Highway 5. (You may still go over 299 to 5 when you leave the redwood forest areas to go east...)

This is about Highway 101..

http://able2know.org/topic/28171-1
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2013 02:26 pm
Hah! Thanks Set and Walter. Osso, this trip is all about the driving so 101 sounds like the winner. Thank you!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2013 04:15 pm
@FreeDuck,
Grand Canyon, San Francisco, Yosemite, Redwood --- hey, that's not the way to New Jersey!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2013 04:25 pm
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:

Well it's finally going to happen. Only took me a few years. The rough plan right now starts with the Grand Canyon in late May, followed by Yosemite, San Francisco, and Redwood National Park on the California coast. From there I would really love to make it to Glacier National Park and then to Minnesota to visit some old friends and my sister who will be there. There will be a little less camping than I had planned before, but I did invest in a brand new VW diesel wagon for the trip to save on gas for all the driving, and I have the important reservations in place. I really can't wait!!

If you need a local guide for a day in SF, let me know - I'd be happy to do it, or to provide advice if you have specific activities you'd like to see or do.

One thing to keep in mind is that it's going to take a lot longer for you to get from SF to Redwood national park than you think it will. Looks pretty straight on the map, but once you zoom in... it's totally squiggly in parts. I've camped there and it's awesome, you're not gonna believe it. Great time of year to go!

Cheers!
Cycloptichorn
ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2013 04:41 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
It used to take me 4 to 4.5 hours to get to Eureka Arcata area, with a stop to pick up a sandwich to go in Healdsburg (Oakville Grocery Store, yes) or get a latte somewhere. There were slow going places - even on the highway if traffic was heavy at Santa Rosa, and in rainy season (not when FD is going) at Confusion Hill, and then the twisty bits, but I don't remember them as too onerous unless an asshole was tailgating.. basically beautiful. Hmmm, wonder if there are still roosevelt elk hanging around Orick, near the turnoff to the fern forest by the coast.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2013 07:38 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

If you need a local guide for a day in SF, let me know - I'd be happy to do it, or to provide advice if you have specific activities you'd like to see or do.

One thing to keep in mind is that it's going to take a lot longer for you to get from SF to Redwood national park than you think it will. Looks pretty straight on the map, but once you zoom in... it's totally squiggly in parts. I've camped there and it's awesome, you're not gonna believe it. Great time of year to go!

Cheers!
Cycloptichorn

I will take you up on that. I have been looking at hotels in SF and can't be sure whether the locations are good. For instance, I get a discounted rate at Marriott and they have a pretty good deal on one at Fisherman's Wharf. Is that a good spot in terms of things to walk to, eat, explore, etc...? Also it looks like the beach campsites at Redwood are first come first served, is that how it was when you went? I was hoping to lock in a reservation but if that's not possible I will plan to leave very early from SF. Thanks Cyclo!