Help me plan our Great American Vacation

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 10:02 am
@FreeDuck,
Do you have any definite range of dates yet for each state?
JPB

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 10:14 am
@FreeDuck,
It can be hot and humid or absolutely lovely and comfortable, and switch from one to the other quite quickly.

I found a place in NJ that rents VW campers "for the entire east coast". They may be able to help you or maybe put you in contact with someone in your area.

Renting VW Westfalia campers for New England and all of the Eastern US. Located in Millville, NJ 08332, between Philadelphia and Atlantic City with pick-up service available at airport and Amtrack stations.

http://www.northeastcampers.com/
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 10:42 am
Samba.com and westfakia community have some addtional information.
(Westfalia itself hasn't any different infos, they only know the places mentioned on those two sites .... by referring to the sites[the factory is just a few miles away, so I asked them].)
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 10:47 am
Yay SF and Redwood national park are still on the list!

That will be fun. When are you going to go on the trip?

Cycloptichorn
Thomas

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 10:53 am
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:
I've always wanted to visit Chicago and never have. What's the summer like there?

Why, windy of course!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 03:09 pm
@Butrflynet,
Not really, no. I was thinking we would leave mid-June, but a lot depends on the hubby's business. We need to nail it down soon, though, because it is time to start making a few key reservations.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 03:12 pm
Thanks for the links guys. I've seen the classified lists on samba and have tried the northeastcampers.com but that site looks like a placeholder page to me so I thought they were no longer in business. It's crazy how much more prevalent the VW Eurovan campers are on the west coast. Maybe we should buy one and then rent it out to people when we get back.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 03:13 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Still unsure about timing but thinking June. What's the weather like at that time, do you know?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 03:23 pm
@FreeDuck,
Well, a little cold. But not that bad, warm during the day. No rain to speak of, really, so outside stuff is cool - just wouldn't recommend the beach for swimming, too cold for that.

The Redwood forests will be fantastic that time of year...

Cycloptichorn
sozobe

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 06:46 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
[belts]FROM THE REDWOOD FOREST
TO THE GULF STREAM WAAAATERRS
THIS LAND WAS MADE FOR YOU AND ME[/belts]
FreeDuck

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 07:54 pm
@sozobe,
We will be singing that song at the tops of our lungs all the way there. I really can not wait.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 10:06 am
Saddest of sadness, we decided today to postpone our Great American Vacation until next year. It was going to be a financial stretch for us, and my husband just started a business that he would have to find someone else to run in order to go, and we decided that we should probably just play it safe. Waiting one more year should allow us to stabilize our business and our savings so that we can do this vacation without going into debt. We'll just have to do it next year, snif.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 10:11 am
@FreeDuck,
Oh! Schniff!!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 10:16 am
@FreeDuck,
Bummer.

On the other hand, maybe if you do it next year, you'll be able to make a stop in New York.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 10:22 am
@FreeDuck,
Dang, well, we'll see ya in the giant trees next year.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 10:33 am
@FreeDuck,
Oh, tartersauce!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 03:00 pm
@FreeDuck,
Oh bummer! Well, the beauty in all this is that even next year, everything will be
still there....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 03:04 pm
@FreeDuck,
Aww....

Does sound smart though.

Next year!
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 12:09 am
Oh man! I wish I had seen this earlier!

I did about 7,000 miles by myself back in 2007 and went to many of the places you listed in your original post.

The one thing that stands out on the list above all else is the redwoods. Do not miss this. The most beautiful road I navigated my whole trip was the CA 101 from San Fransisco to Eureka. The canopy gets so thick sometimes you have to turn your headlights on during the day!

I'd also suggest...

Devil's Tower (WY)
Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse (SD)
Grand Coolie Dam (I think was in WA)

There lots of cool places in the southwest. I love Albuquerque, NM. Also, if you have kids with you they might have fun playing on the giant rocks or chasing lizards at the roadside rest stop on I-40 near Gallup, NM. Gallup is a pretty cool road town. I always think of it as the classic pit stop.

T
K
O
ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 12:13 am
@Diest TKO,
Yeh.
Wish I'd met you then. A person of LA, Eureka, and Albuquerque. What? I am primarily from LA, no matter what dys natters.
Primarily of LA, long time.