0
   

Obama continues to play the race card

 
 
Joe Nation
 
  2  
Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 08:47 am
Yeah, boyoboy, a black man who is suspected of being a Muslim, but denys it, who is also both a former egghead professor at a lawschool and (please hold your nose) a social worker type neighborhood organizer, if you know what I mean, AND, this is the worst one except maybe the black part, he is a politician.

Joe(OOwhee, yet ....he is still wacking the heck out of Mac.)Nation
0 Replies
 
H2O MAN
 
  0  
Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 08:55 am
DrewDad wrote:
H2O_MAN wrote:
I would suggest you donate your brain to Obama, but that would make him less intelligent.

Hey, congratulations! This actually qualifies as a moderately successful retort!

Keep working at it; you may someday achieve adequacy on a regular basis.


Wow!

I dumb it down and you respond with congratulations, amazing.
0 Replies
 
Miller
 
  1  
Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 08:57 am
Joe Nation wrote:
egghead professor at a lawschool


Good old U of C and it's affirmative action programs. Now if they only had something else to offer the citizens of Chicago's SouthSide. Mad
0 Replies
 
Miller
 
  0  
Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 08:59 am
FreeDuck wrote:
I'm looking forward to 8 years of your posts that go like this:


It won't be 8 years, 'cause lung cancer once activated works rapidly.
0 Replies
 
Gala
 
  1  
Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 09:23 am
I haven't read through all the posts-- but I think you're referring to Obamas remarks something to the effect of: "I don't look like them" in reference to some speech about previous politicians who have gone for the White House.

He could have omitted this comment from his speech, and I do think it's playing the race card. We all know Obama is the first-- but more importantly, McCain is running such a poor campaign, it's not necessary to bring this up.
0 Replies
 
FreeDuck
 
  2  
Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 09:30 am
Miller wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
I'm looking forward to 8 years of your posts that go like this:


It won't be 8 years, 'cause lung cancer once activated works rapidly.


Pictures Miller in the audience at inauguration mashing vigorously on a garage door opener... "activate! activate dammit!"
0 Replies
 
DrewDad
 
  2  
Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 09:34 am
H2O_MAN wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
H2O_MAN wrote:
I would suggest you donate your brain to Obama, but that would make him less intelligent.

Hey, congratulations! This actually qualifies as a moderately successful retort!

Keep working at it; you may someday achieve adequacy on a regular basis.


Wow!

I dumb it down and you respond with congratulations, amazing.

Now there you go and disappoint folks again. How on earth could you have "dumbed it down" from the "you're stupid and your mother dresses you funny" insults you've supplied in the past?
0 Replies
 
sozobe
 
  1  
Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 09:54 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Pictures Miller in the audience at inauguration mashing vigorously on a garage door opener... "activate! activate dammit!"


Laughing
0 Replies
 
Gala
 
  1  
Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 11:28 am
sozobe wrote:
Here's what I know:

Obama said:

Quote:
"So nobody really thinks that Bush or McCain have a real answer for the challenges we face, so what they're going to try to do is make you scared of me. You know, he's not patriotic enough. He's got a funny name. You know, he doesn't look like all those other Presidents on those dollar bills, you know. He's risky. That's essentially the argument they're making."


As Mark Murray at First Read says:

Quote:
Obama's remark yesterday seemed innocuous. In fact, it's similar to what he has said many times before. "I know that I don't look like the Americans who've previously spoken in this great city," Obama noted in last week's speech in Berlin.

Perhaps more important, Obama's remarks wouldn't have been seen as playing the race card if Davis hadn't issued this release. After all, the best way to play the race card sometimes is to accuse the other side of playing it.

Could you argue Obama has used the color of his skin as an attempt to garner votes? Yes. Could you also argue that some Republicans have played the race card? Yes. (See here and here and here.) And was it inevitable that race was going to play a role in this campaign? Yes.

But Obama's remarks yesterday seemed like an obvious observation; Obama was very subtle. Davis, though, decided to use a sledgehammer.


http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/07/31/1238296.aspx

Is THAT what you're tacking the "race card" thing on?


Innocuous, yes. It's the race card, nonetheless. He'd be a fool to not bring up that he looks different, because you know what? He does look differeent from any other white guy running for president.

That's not a judgement so much as an observation. What other choice does he have as a black man but to point this out?

If he ignores it, he could end up like Kerry, who thought his swiftboating thing would go away.
0 Replies
 
Gala
 
  1  
Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 11:39 am
sozobe wrote:
Here's what I know:

Obama said:

Quote:
"So nobody really thinks that Bush or McCain have a real answer for the challenges we face, so what they're going to try to do is make you scared of me. You know, he's not patriotic enough. He's got a funny name. You know, he doesn't look like all those other Presidents on those dollar bills, you know. He's risky. That's essentially the argument they're making."


As Mark Murray at First Read says:

Quote:
Obama's remark yesterday seemed innocuous. In fact, it's similar to what he has said many times before. "I know that I don't look like the Americans who've previously spoken in this great city," Obama noted in last week's speech in Berlin.

Perhaps more important, Obama's remarks wouldn't have been seen as playing the race card if Davis hadn't issued this release. After all, the best way to play the race card sometimes is to accuse the other side of playing it.

Could you argue Obama has used the color of his skin as an attempt to garner votes? Yes. Could you also argue that some Republicans have played the race card? Yes. (See here and here and here.) And was it inevitable that race was going to play a role in this campaign? Yes.

But Obama's remarks yesterday seemed like an obvious observation; Obama was very subtle. Davis, though, decided to use a sledgehammer.


Whether the conservative media decides to turn it inot something more than it is is another issue, but all you've pointed out here is someones opinion.
0 Replies
 
FreeDuck
 
  1  
Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 12:56 pm
Gala wrote:

Innocuous, yes. It's the race card, nonetheless. He'd be a fool to not bring up that he looks different, because you know what? He does look differeent from any other white guy running for president.

That's not a judgement so much as an observation. What other choice does he have as a black man but to point this out?

If he ignores it, he could end up like Kerry, who thought his swiftboating thing would go away.


I don't see how it can be innocuous, nothing more than an observation, he'd be a fool not to bring it up, and has no choice but to mention it yet... it's still the race card? Maybe we need to revisit what it means to "play the race card".
0 Replies
 
Cycloptichorn
 
  1  
Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 12:58 pm
It's just a shitty attack by a floundering campaign, and nothing more.

McCain's crew knows that if they can't get Obama dirty, they are hosed; so they will do their best to dirty him up, including injecting race into the discussion as much as possible.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies
 
Gala
 
  1  
Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 01:10 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
I don't see how it can be innocuous, nothing more than an observation, he'd be a fool not to bring it up, and has no choice but to mention it yet... it's still the race card? Maybe we need to revisit what it means to "play the race card".


could you clarify your remarks? what you've written is confusing.

as far as "we" revisiting the issue, isn't that what "we" are doing right now?
0 Replies
 
Gala
 
  1  
Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 01:13 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
It's just a shitty attack by a floundering campaign, and nothing more.

McCain's crew knows that if they can't get Obama dirty, they are hosed; so they will do their best to dirty him up, including injecting race into the discussion as much as possible.

Cycloptichorn


It's a dumb, desperate attack coming from a floundering campaign.

Nonetheless, Obama is no saint as you seem to see him-- he's exploiting his color where he can and playing it down where it won't help him.
0 Replies
 
H2O MAN
 
  0  
Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 01:14 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
It's just a shitty attack by a floundering campaign, and nothing more.


I never thought I would hear you speak of Obama's campaign that way, but for possibly the very first time - you are 100% correct.
Obama's campaign is in deep trouble
0 Replies
 
Cycloptichorn
 
  1  
Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 01:15 pm
Gala wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
It's just a shitty attack by a floundering campaign, and nothing more.

McCain's crew knows that if they can't get Obama dirty, they are hosed; so they will do their best to dirty him up, including injecting race into the discussion as much as possible.

Cycloptichorn


It's a dumb, desperate attack coming from a floundering campaign.

Nonetheless, Obama is no saint as you seem to see him-- he's exploiting his color where he can and playing it down where it won't help him. he is, afterall, human.


I don't really see him as a 'saint,' like you say above; but I'm not exactly sure at what point he exploited his color. I guess it's a part of who he is, and does that give him both advantages and disadvantages? Of course. But he doesn't walk around talking about it all the time or anything.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies
 
FreeDuck
 
  1  
Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 01:21 pm
Gala wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
I don't see how it can be innocuous, nothing more than an observation, he'd be a fool not to bring it up, and has no choice but to mention it yet... it's still the race card? Maybe we need to revisit what it means to "play the race card".


could you clarify your remarks? what you've written is confusing.

as far as "we" revisiting the issue, isn't that what "we" are doing right now?


Sorry to confuse you. You said that his remarks are innocuous. And you said that it's nothing more than an observation, and that he'd be a fool not to bring it up, and he has no choice to mention it -- that's me summarizing. And then you said he's playing the race card. From my understanding of what it means to play the race card, your description is not really compatible.

Clearer?
0 Replies
 
glitterbag
 
  1  
Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 01:24 pm
Last night on the Daily Show, Jon Stewart played a little of the newest McCain ad that showed pictures of Brittany Spears, Paris Hilton along with Obama in an attempt to characterize Obama as a mere celebrity. He then showed copy of a contribution list that showed Paris Hilton's parents had contributed the legal maxium amount to John McCain's campaign and quipped "Thank you very much for the contribution, but you'll have to excuse me while I go take a public dump on your daughter"

Comedy Central reruns the Daily Show several times the day after the show it would be worth the time to check out the show, it was pretty funny. However, it does point out a lot of nasty stuff that is being said about both candidates so if you tend to get angry when comics take a jab at your candidate you might want to skip it.

Personally I can't wait for this election to be over, it is nasty, mean-spirited and brings out the worst in people on this forum. Apparently there is no such thing as "civil discorce" when you talk about politics or politicians. I find it amusing that people keep referring to the candidates as arrogant, and Jon Stewart asked "These guys want to be the next leader of the free world, what should their pitch be??? 'Vote for me, I'm nothing special'" . Does strike me funny.

I don't know why anyone runs for public office, they take such a beating. I serve on the Board of my Community Association with 4 others, and even though we only have 70 homes it can get downright nasty. None of us get a salary, of course, it's a volunteer board.....but listening to the litany of complaints and demands get wearisome, and I've asked a few of the biggest complainers to run for a seat, but they would rather sit and take pot shots then actually do anything.
0 Replies
 
H2O MAN
 
  0  
Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 01:33 pm
I'm certain Jon Stewart would go down on Obama if the opportunity arose.
0 Replies
 
glitterbag
 
  2  
Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 02:58 pm
like I said, civil discourse seems to be a lost art.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

Obama '08? - Discussion by sozobe
Let's get rid of the Electoral College - Discussion by Robert Gentel
McCain's VP: - Discussion by Cycloptichorn
Food Stamp Turkeys - Discussion by H2O MAN
The 2008 Democrat Convention - Discussion by Lash
McCain is blowing his election chances. - Discussion by McGentrix
Snowdon is a dummy - Discussion by cicerone imposter
GAFFNEY: Whose side is Obama on? - Discussion by gungasnake
 
Copyright © 2022 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 01/22/2022 at 11:01:51