Obama continues to play the race card

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 06:32 am
Is Obama so lame that he must play the race card?

He is trying to turn every criticism, large and small, into racism.
The downward slide continues.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,661 • Replies: 75
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 06:49 am
I don't suppose you have a cite for this race-card-playing?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 06:51 am
He heard from someone that read an editorial that was posted to a message board from a blog.

Or Rush told him.

One of those.

Or, Fred, the invisble alien sitting on his shoulder told him. I forgot about that possibility.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 06:53 am
The two of you must not be paying attention to your Messiahs every move.
Get yourself up to speed.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 06:59 am
Here's what I know:

Obama said:

Quote:
"So nobody really thinks that Bush or McCain have a real answer for the challenges we face, so what they're going to try to do is make you scared of me. You know, he's not patriotic enough. He's got a funny name. You know, he doesn't look like all those other Presidents on those dollar bills, you know. He's risky. That's essentially the argument they're making."

As Mark Murray at First Read says:

Quote:
Obama's remark yesterday seemed innocuous. In fact, it's similar to what he has said many times before. "I know that I don't look like the Americans who've previously spoken in this great city," Obama noted in last week's speech in Berlin.

Perhaps more important, Obama's remarks wouldn't have been seen as playing the race card if Davis hadn't issued this release. After all, the best way to play the race card sometimes is to accuse the other side of playing it.

Could you argue Obama has used the color of his skin as an attempt to garner votes? Yes. Could you also argue that some Republicans have played the race card? Yes. (See here and here and here.) And was it inevitable that race was going to play a role in this campaign? Yes.

But Obama's remarks yesterday seemed like an obvious observation; Obama was very subtle. Davis, though, decided to use a sledgehammer.

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/07/31/1238296.aspx

Is THAT what you're tacking the "race card" thing on?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 07:01 am
Quote:
(See here and here and here.)

Links embedded in the original -- these are the links corresponding to the three "here"s:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/07/21/kevin-bryant-south-caroli_n_114098.html

http://thinkprogress.org/2008/06/17/gop-convention-button-asks-if-obama-is-presidentwill-we-still-call-it-the-white-house/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bluejersey/2651744658/
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 07:07 am
You can just see Davis and the other McCain people waiting for something to pounce on so they can say Obama "played the race card," and waiting, and waiting, and meanwhile their chances are going down down down, but they're still waiting, and they're starting to get frustrated, and they're waiting, and then they see this and they say "Good enough... let's move!!"
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 08:21 am
Other than offering hopelessness and a change for the worse, the race card is all Obama has to play.

Democrats picked a lame horse that doesn't yet realize that he's not in the race.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 08:24 am
Don't you need to go donate an organ to keep your candidate warm?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 08:27 am
I would suggest you donate your brain to Obama, but that would make him less intelligent.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 08:32 am
Re: Obama continues to play the race card
H2O_MAN wrote:

If he didn't play the race card, what would he play?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 08:33 am
Why is there so much heat (read: insults) in these political threads? We can't all like the same candidate or party, but why does it get so insulting?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 08:35 am
You're wasting you time on this one, Soz. He hasn't, nor will he, read any of those or anything else. You've already witnessed the depth of his research... and apparent capacity for same. Sozlet would roll her eyes and thrash him, but he's oblivious to the FACT that his ignorance is as obvious as his political postings are baseless.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 08:35 am
Re: Obama continues to play the race card
Miller wrote:
H2O_MAN wrote:

If he didn't play the race card, what would he play?

Exactly - put a fork in him, he's done.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 08:38 am
I'm looking forward to 8 years of your posts that go like this:

2009: No, now he's done!
2010: Surely he must be done now!
2011: He's finished, finished I say!
2012: He won't last another day!
2013: No way he'll finish his 2nd term!
2014: He's outta here!
2015: Stick a fork in him again!
2016: Finally my prediction is correct! He really is finished!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 08:38 am
by Scott Rogers
Obama Plays 'Race' Card
June 07, 2007 01:53 PM EST

It didn’t take too long before Barack Obama decided to play the race card, did it? It is very sad. This week the AP reported that in a speech, Obama blasted the Bush administration for Katrina recovery efforts. He also went so far as to say the problems that were in New Orleans before the hurricane were Bush’s fault also. The biggest slam came when he said that Bush has done nothing to defuse a ‘quiet riot’ among blacks that will erupt like it did in Los Angeles 15 years ago. Now, I presume Obama isn’t talking about the 80’s metal band here. Did I hear him right? He is basically saying that he would approve of race riots. Amazing.

“This administration was colorblind in its incompetence, but the poverty and the hopelessness was there long before the hurricane.”

How is this Bush’s fault exactly? Let’s examine Obama’s claims. First of all, President Bush is not responsible for how states run their STATE governments. Most presidents, as you know, know that we elect Governors for this job and decide to work on the country as a whole and let states deal with more specific ‘STATE’ issues. Second, it is Bush’s fault that the people of New Orleans re-elected an imbecile mayor, Ray Nagin, to another term. We all know that Ray Nagin has complained a lot about federal assistance to his city. However, he has also neglected to provide information on where the majority of government funds disappeared to. This is the money that was supposed to strengthen the levees and provide support for displaced families. Maybe Nagin gave it to William Jefferson, who by the way Nagin still supports, even after Jefferson’s indictment. Third, according to Obama, Bush is responsible for natural disasters and acts of God. Am I to assume here that because Bush created the hurricane then he is a god? After all, he sat around and did nothing while the wind and rain slammed into New Orleans. I suppose President Obama would be out there in the storm, physically going from house to house personally to remove people stranded in the line of fire? Doubtful.

Obama clearly has no clue. This should not be a surprise. Whenever a candidate is having bad luck in a race, its best to play a card no other candidate can play, the race card. What is so bothersome, however, about his speech, is that repeatedly he referred to race riots. He stated if Bush doesn’t fix Louisiana, it will be the fault of only Bush and no one else there. Where is the governor of Louisiana? We all know where Nagin is. Where are the rest of Louisiana’s elected officials? Does Obama know that this state has its own legislature? Apparently not, it’s Bush’s fault remember?

“Those ‘quiet riots’ that take place every day are born from the same place as the fires and the destruction and the police decked out in riot gear and the deaths,” Obama said. “They happen when a sense of disconnect settles in and hope dissipates. Despair takes hold and young people all across this country look at the way the world is and believe that things are never going to get any better.”

Obama must realize, that by giving these types of speeches, he is only creating unrest among the citizens of Louisiana.

Are you sure you want a president who is going to tell all people who have gotten a rough deal recently to stand up and riot, destroying neighborhoods and creating havoc on the streets? Better yet, attack policemen who are trying to protect the law biding citizens? Could you imagine if a Republican candidate blamed Nagin or other politicians in Louisiana in this manner? What if he mentioned that other races should stand up and riot? There would be heck to pay for sure. This speech by Obama, definitely being played down by the main stream media, is inspiring hate and racism. In essence, Obama is calling Bush a racist. And you know what? He is going to get away with it. Is Obama the true racist or is he just uninformed? You decide.

The full AP article is available here http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/06/05/politics/main2888706.shtml
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 08:41 am
Mame wrote:
Why is there so much heat (read: insults) in these political threads? We can't all like the same candidate or party, but why does it get so insulting?
Because virtually all campaign threads are now constantly watermarked with idiocy. Demonstrating weaknesses in some of these people's argument's is about as effective as explaining that square pegs don't fit in round holes to a houseplant.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 08:43 am
Mame wrote:

I don't fault folks for supporting a particular candidate. I fault folks when they fail to make the "will this post make me appear brain dead?" test before hitting "submit."
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 08:44 am
FreeDuck wrote:
I'm looking forward to 8 years of your posts that go like this:

2009: No, now he's done!
2010: Surely he must be done now!
2011: He's finished, finished I say!
2012: He won't last another day!
2013: No way he'll finish his 2nd term!
2014: He's outta here!
2015: Stick a fork in him again!
2016: Finally my prediction is correct! He really is finished!

Ha!

You have a vivid imagination there Duck, I hate to burst your bubbles though ...
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 08:45 am
H2O_MAN wrote:
I would suggest you donate your brain to Obama, but that would make him less intelligent.

Hey, congratulations! This actually qualifies as a moderately successful retort!

Keep working at it; you may someday achieve adequacy on a regular basis.
0 Replies