Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 02:40 pm
Thomas wrote:
Any idea which network she appears in?

No, but the videos are online here.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 02:58 pm
sozobe wrote:

You've got a problem with that? Well, you sure won't be no bridesmaid at my wedding!

Walter Hinteler wrote:
No, but the videos are online here.

Thanks, Walter. It appears that Current TV is the network.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 10:03 pm
Sarah Haskins seems to have dropped off the TV screen and the Web sometime in early 2010. I miss her. Anyone know what happened, and what she's doing now?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 04:12 am
@Thomas,
Sarah Haskins does rock! a breath of fresh air.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 04:49 am
@littlek,
Her site http://current.com/shows/infomania/target-women/ is now on my Google Bookmark bar. She's a funny fountain of reason and sanity.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 05:07 am
I suppose i'll excoriated for saying this, but the things she is saying seem rather obvious to me. She rocks because . . . ?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 05:18 am
OK, wait . . . she rocks because people are difficult to wean from stupidity, and it will take generations of telling women to respect themselves, and how to respect themselves, before commentaries such as hers can be dispensed with--is that it?
chai2

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 05:29 am
well, yes.

since we've being hearing the opposite for eons, it'll take awhile for the truth to take hold.

Missed this thread the first time littlek. I've seen her just once on TeeVee. Didn't know she had a series of videos.

and yes, she rocks.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 05:37 am
So far, the videos of her that i've watched are only mildly amusing. She's holding up a mirror to society to say: "See how stupid you are when it comes to self-image?" and "See how stupid you are when it comes to being suckered by politicians?" and "See how stupid you are when it comes to being suckered by capitalists?" These aren't new ideas, and they're not necessarily exclusively feminist (and i don't know if she bills herself as a feminist, or if that label is being applied by others). Men, for god's sake, shave the hair off their chests, and it's not just gay dudes doing it, either. Men are exploited with the bowflex and the six-pack abs ads. Perhaps one could argue that women are more the victims of poor self-image exploitation than men--but i don't really see this as a feminist issue. And i don't think she rocks.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 05:40 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
OK, wait . . . she rocks because people are difficult to wean from stupidity, and it will take generations of telling women to respect themselves, and how to respect themselves, before commentaries such as hers can be dispensed with--is that it?

Huh? In the episodes I heard, Haskins isn't telling women anything. Instead, she makes fun of stupid stereotypes propagated in TV commercials by pretending to take them seriously. I suppose that's what littlek meant in her initial post about Haskins being "current in her feminism". (I don't know much about feminism, so I wouldn't know.)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 05:41 am
Yeah, i get that part. It's one of the oldest forms of comedy--and it ain't exclusive to "feminist" issues.
Thomas

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 05:44 am
@Setanta,
Fine. Who cares if it's about feminism or not?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 05:51 am
I don't, certainly. However, in Kay's first post, she is being touted as a feminist.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 05:53 am
@littlek,
littlek wrote:
Has anyone ever heard of her? A friend of mine (male, by the way) just sent me a link. She is smart, funny and current in her feminism.

See what i mean? I don't see her content as especially feminist, unless feminism is so broadly defined as to be meaningless. And i only find her rather mildly amusing, for the reasons i've already given.
Thomas

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 05:59 am
@Setanta,
Fine. She does rock for me, because I do find her smart and funny, whether she's a feminist or not. If she doesn't rock for you, that's a matter of indifference to me.
chai2

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 02:24 pm
whew, I'm glad we got that settled.

Now for the more interesting question...

Thomas, Set, do you shave your chests?
Setanta

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 02:26 pm
@Thomas,
Your indifference is sufficiently diminished that you decided to expostulate on it. When someone says that something rocks, i take that to mean that it is high quality. I find her only mildly amusing, and not at all original.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 02:29 pm
Set, I think we all get your point.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 02:30 pm
Apparently, Thomas didn't.

EDIT: I am as entitled to make my point, as others are to keep saying she rocks, when clearly she doesn't.
littlek

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 02:34 pm
@Setanta,
Just keep in mind that you are able to state your point: she doesn't rock. And I am entitled to state my point: she rocks.