This chick rocks: Sarah Haskins

littlek

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 10:37 am
Has anyone ever heard of her? A friend of mine (male, by the way) just sent me a link. She is smart, funny and current in her feminism.

Sarah Haskins Clips
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 3,714 • Replies: 53
No top replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 11:05 am
I truly do not need more than a yogurt in my life.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 07:44 pm
I wonder if there's a good source for quotes from her. A lot of it is visual-graphic humor though.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 07:51 pm
One of my favorite bits is during the clip about weddings. The pop culture tells women that they need to lose weight to get married. There are three tv shows devoted to weddings/brides on cable (somewhere, don't ask me). One poor bride-to-be is shown a computer-generated prediction of what she'll look like in three years. There's an image of a still pretty svelt woman in bike shorts and a sports bra. Sarah Haskins shows up wearing the same and saying "Wait, that's what I look like now." BRILLIANT!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 08:00 pm
She should get back in the kitchen where she belongs.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 08:21 pm
I know I'm old, but to hear "chick" in the same sentence as "feminism" makes me want to throw up, because of the ignorance contained in the juxtaposition.

But I will have a look.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 08:22 pm
Thanks for the introduction... she's good.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 08:34 pm
well, bunny, even good things should not be overdone. some of us chicks don't mind being called that and don't take it as a demeaning or marginalizing thing, whatever the origins are. it's part of today's lingo and it also depends on context. i get what you're saying, but, anyway. that's how i feel.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 08:35 pm
I think it's a generational thing. And Sarah Haskins does actually make mention about those generational differences - but not in thew context of the word 'chick'.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 08:41 pm
dlowan wrote:
I know I'm old, but to hear "chick" in the same sentence as "feminism" makes me want to throw up, because of the ignorance contained in the juxtaposition.

But I will have a look.

I should also say, I know (not ignorant) that the word chick is controversial to some. I used it intentionally.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 08:54 pm
Huh, some of us, cough, transcend generations. I'm older than much of the Hillary fanatic group, though not all. Not that all for Hillary are fanatic, just saying there is a certain irate group. From what I've seen so far, I get her just fine. Haven't looked at the botox or yogurt bits yet, but am not worried that I'm not going to like them. (Edits out the word 'chicky' - I was laughing too hard.)

Among other things, I like her seeming awkwardness - not clear if that is performance or her normal way. In either case, I also like that part.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 02:17 am
Wow! Different world.

You guys have Botox infomercials?

She's good.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 03:51 pm
Apparently we do, dlowan. I don't watch TV and when I do, the ads sort of freak me out. So, I don't pay that much attention. But, watching tv with non-americans is quite educational. Just ask Dasha what she thinks of the ads here.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 03:58 pm
gotta have those botox ads ... makes it easy to find a provider when the bride tells the bridesmaids they need to have it done (just read about that in the NYT today)

strange new world indeed
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 05:56 pm
That article was horrifying. I'm not sure what the expression was on my face when I read about the bride requiring boob jobs for her bridesmaids, but I'm sure it was entertaining. (One bridesmaid refused and got by with a push-up bra.) (GACK.)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 06:12 pm
sozobe wrote:
That article was horrifying. I'm not sure what the expression was on my face when I read about the bride requiring boob jobs for her bridesmaids, but I'm sure it was entertaining. (One bridesmaid refused and got by with a push-up bra.) (GACK.)

You're kidding? Please!!!!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 06:23 pm
Haven't any of you heard of Botox parties?

The hip new way to socialize while you become a Stepford Wife.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 06:35 pm
Diane wrote:
Haven't any of you heard of Botox parties?

The hip new way to socialize while you become a Stepford Wife.

Nope.

I do not know anyone who has used Botox or had plastic surgery...except one schoolmate who, many years ago, replaced her very characterful Jewish nose with an oddish one that made her look goggle-eyed. Oh...two women I waitressed with while I was at uni had had boob jobs.

Not that I have any reason to think that Botox and plastic surgery are not well used here, but they appear to run in very different circles from those I run in.

I cannot imagine any bridesmaid who would not murder a bride who tried to insist on a boob job, but what would I know? I think all expensive weddings are a heap of ****, anyway. There have been a few at work recently, one of which had me in convulsions re the fuss made. The other couple had a very small, quiet one. I think they are worth a big, fun party....but nothing more. The funnest weddings I have been to have been where guests bring food and drink to supplement what the couple and their families provide.

Doctors etc are very restricted in how they may advertise here, too. I was dumbstruck when I saw the ads in the New York subway for doctors and lawyers etc!!!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 02:35 pm
Just surfed into this thread -- Sarah Haskins does rock! And she had me the moment this newspaper disappeared and the wedding dress appeared on her instead. <grin>

Thanks for pointing out a new oasis in the desert of American TV! Any idea which network she appears in?
sozobe

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 02:39 pm
dlowan wrote:
sozobe wrote:

You're kidding? Please!!!!

I wish I were!!!

but no.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/fashion/24skin.html

Quote:
0 Replies