Moslem Group Celebrates 9/11

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 09:46 am
littlek wrote:
HobitBob, sorry to hear about your incident, must have been awful.

Au, I guess we are trying to redefine your concept of terrorism by pointing out that civilian casualties are all the same. Those in the towers, those on the Baghdadi streets, those in the busses in Isreal and those in the Gaza - all innocent victims. Why is it different when our military kills civilians?

You got it, K. Defining what constitutes "terror" could be difficult in this conversation -- because Au simply cannot see retaliation by Israel as acts of terrorism.

And defining what "celebrating" means is also a difficult prospect. Some "celebrating" takes place in the street -- and some in churches and synagogues.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 09:54 am
au1929 wrote:
Frank Actions prove the point. Where else have acts of terror been triggers for celebration?

Now let's just think about that for a minute or so, Au.

Jews have a holiday called "Passover" do they not?

And "Passover" refers to a specific incident -- the fact that the god of the Jews "passed over" the homes of Jews during the god's wonton slaughter of the firstborn of Egypt -- an barbaric act of terrorism if ever there was one.

And this horrendous act of terrorism is "celebrated" by Jews worldwide each and every year.

I think that meets the criteria in the challenge of your question.

Quote:
And who commits the preponderance of these acts?

I'll leave that for your to decide.

Almost all Jews doing it every year for the last several thousands of years -- or the Arabs in the Middle East recently.

Which do you say is the "preponderance?"
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 09:54 am
Craven
Quote:
Israelis routinely chant for Arab blood. After suicide bombings their disgust at the muddlers perpetrated by the terrorists often leads to a group chanting "death to Arabs."

I can understand, but not condone, the feelings of the people involved in the Israeli/Palestinian conflict on both sides. However, how does one explain away acts of terror around the world. Acts primarily of Muslim "Fringe Groups" Bali for instance.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 10:00 am
The Jews at Passover celebrate their freedom from slavery.
I can't help but comment that one who believes not a word of the bible suddenly uses it in an argument.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 10:06 am
Frank
Bringing up Passover is about as valid as the Egyptian lawyer who is looking to sue every Jew in the world for the gold that they took upon leaving Egypt. What is that a gazillion dollars?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 10:08 am
au1929 wrote:
I can't help but comment that one who believes not a word of the bible suddenly uses it in an argument.

Frank please consider his argument here.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 10:11 am
au1929 wrote:

I can understand, but not condone, the feelings of the people involved in the Israeli/Palestinian conflict on both sides. However, how does one explain away acts of terror around the world. Acts primarily of Muslim "Fringe Groups" Bali for instance.

I certainly don't think it should be explained away. I just don't think characterizing a comunity as uncivilized based on the actions of the most extreme among them is a fair argument to make.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 12:10 pm
au1929 wrote:

Funny, if that is what they are doing, they probably should have called it "Freedom from Slavery!"

But the fact is they call it Passover -- and Passover speaks to a single event in the many that ultimately lead to the release of the Hebrews from captivity in Egypt.

It more than likely is a myth -- but the myth has meaning. And the events depicted in the story of the passover of the god of the Hebrews while engaging in his wonton slaughter of the babies of Egypt (in fact the slaughter of the first born of every human and animal in Egypt) was terrorism on a cosmic scale.

I dare say if the Egyptians celebrated a day that used as its title the name of an event that commemorates the slaughter of a bunch of Hebrew babies -- we'd be hearing a different story from you.

Quote:

Where on Earth did you get the impression that I do not "believe" one word of the Bible?

My guess is that most of the Bible is fiction and mythology.

Nothing wrong with that!

But there certainly are elements of the Bible that correspond to historical evidence -- and what would be wrong with "believing" in that.?

And even if I thought every word in it were fiction, what would be wrong with citing from it in a discussion in an Internet forum?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 12:12 pm
au1929 wrote:
Frank
Bringing up Passover is about as valid as the Egyptian lawyer who is looking to sue every Jew in the world for the gold that they took upon leaving Egypt. What is that a gazillion dollars?

No! It is not comparable to that at all.

It is a response to something you asked.

You just don't like the response.

Good.

I don't like the responses you give that seem to villify the Arabs at every turn.

So in a sense, we are even.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 02:04 pm
Frank
You can respond in any way you choose. However, it would be more acceptable if it had any validity. You refer to something that in all likelihood never happened and if it did happened about 3000 years ago. And I of the present.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 02:41 pm
Once again, Au, I'd like to see some balance in this Israel versus the Arabs thing.

Personally I think both sides are showing the deportment and intelligence of 5 year olds.

But Israel always seems to be getting a pass from people in the United States.

I think it is wrong -- and I think the politicians of this country -- for very selfish reasons -- are involving us in a way that almost insures that things will get worse as a result of our intervension than better.

I don't you don't see things that way -- and that is your right.

But I have a right to say what I want to say.

BTW, you wrote:

Quote:
You can respond in any way you choose. However, it would be more acceptable if it had any validity. You refer to something that in all likelihood never happened and if it did happened about 3000 years ago. And I of the present.

That is incorrect.

The event, if it happened (I agree it probably didn't) -- happened several thousands of years ago.

BUT THE CELEBRATING OF THE EVENT HAPPENED EARLIER THIS YEAR AND HAPPENED LAST YEAR AND HAPPENED THE YEAR BEFORE THAT -- AND WILL HAPPEN AGAIN NEXT YEAR.

That is what we were talking about -- the celebration -- not the event.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 02:58 pm
Frank
Again it is a celebration of freedom from slavery.

You as far as I am concerned can post anything you have a mind to. I do not believe I have ever even whispered that you shouldn't. And by the same token shall I. Popular or unpopular. The a2k is not a popularity contest, if it were I would just "me to" every thing but where is the enjoyment in that?

Onward and upward.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 03:32 pm
Whatever!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 06:36 pm
Frank, do you really think celebrating passover is on the same level as celebrating 9/11?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 09:18 pm
Sofia wrote:
I feel like I'm pushing a bit, but I hope you'll consider this.
I almost brought this article in. I thought it was a point of interest that should be discussed. It is news.

The picking and choosing of what is acceptable news, and what is an agenda of incitement may bear more scrutiny. You aren't the only one, who dismissed it. Almost everyone else has said--don't worry so much about this--or they've tried to change the subject off of this group, and on to another... I fail to see why we couldn't have talked about these people, this group, their actions, history, words... Why are they beyond scrutiny and criticism?

It makes me sad that the one who brought the article bears the brunt of the criticism. He may have brought the two, because no one else here will. Isn't it fair for him to be able to discuss these issues, without his motives being instantly suspect?

I haven't seen the other article, but doesn't this one merit a viewing and discussion?

<Tired. Off to bed. But, sincerely want to know if anyone can address my questions.>

I think Craven has sort of answered this one, Sofia - but I have been thinking more about your question, partly because it was interesting to me to look at how I react to material of this sort. Here, for what they are worth, are my personal thoughts/feelings.

When I see material about people reacting with joy to slaughter, I am sickened. I think it is obvious that, for most of us in western countries, the scale, situation, extensive coverage, iconic status of the targets and, most of all, I feel, our identification with the people suffering and dying, made September 11th 2001 a special horror. It was US, HERE, suffering and dying - not them, there - psychologically speaking. This affected me as deeply as anything ever has.

On the other hand, I knew that this was going to be reacted to as no other terror attack has ever been, I think - because of the factors I have mentioned above - and, most of all, because this was the USA - whatever happens in the USA is writ large. Many people - perhaps more of them US citizens than citizens of most other countries - are ignorant of the ongoing tale of terror in the world - many are ignorant of US and western sponsored terror (the irony of Chile, especially, was in my head even as I watched and cried). This knowledge gave me a sort of odd, jarring, double vision - a feeling that I did not want the many other victims to be forgotten in the drama surrounding THIS attack, which would be seen as so especially cataclysmic because it was America, even as I FELT it as especially cataclysmic myself.

So - this cognitive/emotional dissonance affects me whenever I am thinking about 9/11 - I want to acknowledge the horror - I also feel some resentment and anger about the special status accorded it (by me, too) - this means I always have a desire to balance the story -both internally and publicly.

Re the article about the (as it happens, apparently cancelled, Moslem extremist celebrations) - other tensions around all this include, in no particular order:

* My dislike of fundamentalism (except any which I myself possess, of course!) - which I sort of struggle against as being a bit strong, or mean, or something.

*My tendency to find much about Islam repellent - especially its (or, as some argue, not its, but the culture of some of the countries in which it took roots') treatment of women - which is a tendency I struggle about internally, (along the lines of "that is disgusting prejudice - no it isn't, it is fact") and hence feel some ongoing cognitive/emotional dissonance about.

*My semi-belief that Islam was almost picked on as the necessary enemy by the US when communism wasn't there any more. Does anyone else feel that the US needs an enemy? Maybe we all do...

So - after hearing way more about the rather confused workings of this little brain than you ever wanted to, I am sure, what all this boils down to is, that when I hear the actions of extreme Moslems criticized, especially re 9/11, I find the issue hard to leave alone because:

I worry that all Moslems will be included in any consequent rage storm (which is the issue already delineated by Craven) and I feel a need to present a balancing voice.

I battle with the "double vision" thing I spoke about above, and I want to present a balancing voice.

I struggle with my own internal prejudices, and don't want them to win, so I present a balancing - or sometimes angry - voice.

I wonder if this comes across as (or really is, because it is an uncomfortable area for me - and perhaps, similarly, for some others?) a desire to make Moslem extremists " beyond scrutiny and criticism"?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 09:22 pm
Yes! Deb, well said.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 09:28 pm
Lol! You made it through the tangles and briar patches, then?
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 09:43 pm
I am grateful for your apparent honesty in the intricacies of the subject.

I would like to say I'd be horrified no matter where such an attack took place--but I'm sure it is intensified for me.

My only disagreement is in your statement that the US needs an enemy. We didn't go looking for this one.

The 'balancing voice' thing is what bothers me, I guess. It sounds too much like apologising for, or supporting them. Not Moslems, in general, but the celebrants specifically. Its as if people don't trust others to respond correctly. This tack seems a bit elitist. (I.e. "I can't allow them to say that, or see pictures of that, because I can't trust them to respond correctly.")

Your last paragraph--I wonder if this comes across as (or really is, because it is an uncomfortable area for me - and perhaps, similarly, for some others?) a desire to make Moslem extremists " beyond scrutiny and criticism"?
---------
It does to me. This was my point of contention with the tone and re-direction of the thread.

Many thanks for your post. Your stock rose dramatically due to it, as far as I'm concerned. Very honest, forthright analysis. Smile
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 10:09 pm
Just one comment, for now, Sofia - re: "My only disagreement is in your statement that the US needs an enemy. We didn't go looking for this one."

I was referring to the time period after the fall of the Berlin wall, not post 9/11, for a sort of grooming Islam as the enemy thing. It is not something I am convinced of - it just seemed to me that, somewhat before, and more after, the wind was blowing in that direction.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 10:40 pm
Frank, you are wrong when you say that during passover Jews today are not celebrating freedom from slavery.

And the original passover was certainly no celebration.
0 Replies