Moslem Group Celebrates 9/11

au1929

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 06:17 pm
Moslem Group Celebrates 9/11
16:27 Sep 12, '03 / 15 Elul 5763

While the U.S. mourns its 3,000 victims of 9/11 in New York, Washington, and Pennsylvania, some Moslem groups are celebrating. The United Kingdom-based Islamist organization al-Muhajiroun is marking the anniversary of the horrific September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks with an event entitled "The Magnificent 19," after doing the same last year with "A Towering Day in History."

Al-Muhajiroun was founded by Sheikh Omar Bakri Mohammed, who moved to London in 1986 after being expelled from Saudi Arabia. It now claims 30 offices across Britain, and has branches in Pakistan, Algeria, France and throughout the Middle East. British media report that al-Muhajiroun was linked to attempts to recruit British Muslims to fight in Afghanistan and elsewhere, and to British suicide bombers who struck a pub in Israel this year.

Last year's Muhajiroun 9/11 event, held at Finsbury mosque in north London, led to the removal of the mosque's religious cleric, Abu Hamza. This year, the organization placed posters around Birmingham with images of the Twin Towers aflame, a smiling Osama Bin Laden, and the faces of the 19 hijackers who perpetrated the attacks. The "commemoration," as the organization's literature calls it, was to include "a public invitation to all non-Muslims to embrace Islam so that they will be safe..." and will "examine the driving force and motivation of the 19 men who partook in the [9/11] operation..."

The event was suddenly postponed, according to an al-Muhajiroun announcement, "due to unforeseeable difficulties, including cancellations of venues..." Instead, the Islamists held an "introduction to the Magnificent 19 Conference" last night elsewhere in London.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,598 • Replies: 107
No top replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 06:29 pm
I saw this on the news yesterday.
I wanted them to meet--and have their names, and addresses recorded. The events should be photographed and filmed.

Film of such gatherings should be shown publicly, so these people's sickening glee can be widely known, and they can be identified. It seems to me that celebrating a terrorist attack is worthy of a few questions.

Sons of bitches.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 06:33 pm
My reactions to these happenings is always tempered by the realization that extremism is contagious.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 06:38 pm
P.A. vs. U.S.
16:16 Sep 12, '03 / 15 Elul 5763

"In spite of the hundreds of millions of dollars in American aid to the Palestinian Authority," writes Itamar Marcus of Palestinian Media Watch (PMW), "the PA continues to teach that the U.S. is the enemy who is doomed to destruction by Islam, while expressing joy at mounting American deaths in Iraq."

"Possibly timed to coincide with the anniversary of 9/11," Marcus writes, "the official PA TV sermon from Gaza attacked the US this week, teaching that the coming fall of the US will be similar to the fall of ancient Rome." Marcus also noted that a recent cartoon in the official PA daily mocked Americans crying over their dead in Iraq - "a continuation of PA policy of support for Iraq before and during the war, while calling for the killing of American and British soldiers."

Excerpts from the Sept. 5th sermon televised on PA television, as provided by PMW:
"If we go back 1400 years in time, we find that history is repeating itself, worshipers of Allah. The Prophet Mohammed... was besieged by two powers, Persia in the east and Rome in the west. These represent the Soviet Union and America of today... Persia fell first in the east, just as Russia fell first in the east, and America will fall, may it be Allah's will, just as Rome fell in the west. However [the fall of] Rome necessitated... challenges and resistance from the Muslims - just as America today, her allies and proteges, the Zionists and others, necessitate further sacrifices from our side and closing ranks, oh Muslims, and we will be victorious... The Prophet succeeded, through Muslim unity and arousing faith, in overcoming the America of then, just as we will defeat America, as long as it supports our enemy, as long as it adheres to its positions against our people, our issue and our holy places, and against our people and its leadership, as long as it adheres to these wicked positions. We will defeat her, may it be the will of Allah. We see America as the number one enemy, as long as it supports our enemy. Aren't we killed by American planes?..."
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 07:55 pm
You didn't seriously expect that only one side of the 11th September story would be presented, did you? Look at it in context. To disenfranchised Palestionians, the attacks were a major success,and a legitimate rallying point. Don't fall into the trap of assuming that only your viewpoint is valid.
The group in the UK is also responding in a very predictable way. The South Asian/ Middle Eastern immigrant commnuity in London feels extremely disenfranchised. They have been prime pickins' for the purveyors of fundy loonieness. Efforts by mainstream Islam to counter this were mostly neglected until the last two years. There is an awful lot of "catch up" that needs to be done. Rest assured that MI5 was nearby taking pictures. Personally, I find this whole thing to be a non issue.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 08:03 pm
I just despair of hatred, extremism & sheer stupidity in any form. <sigh>
I want some SANE news! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 08:13 pm
what hobitbob said.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 08:44 pm
i hate extremists, we should hang them on the spot.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 08:46 pm
good point, Dys.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 08:50 pm
oops, i forgot i have been labeled a raging lefty extremist. nevermind.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 08:51 pm
Its okay dys, I have my foot covering the spot. Wink
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 09:45 pm
"Sane news?" I don't think we should pretend these things aren't happening.

Hobitbob-- Don't know what makes you think there is any legitimacy surrounding the celebration of the murder of US civilians. It is illegitimate. It is wrong. It is invalid.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 09:46 pm
It's human nature. Sure, it shouldn't happen. Sure we should maybe keep an eye on it. But, everyone knows a lot of people out there don't like us and many never will.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 09:50 pm
when the ACLU defended the KKK for their parade in a Chicago suburb they were not making a comment on the legitimacy of the KKK.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 09:57 pm
If the KKK wanted to meet publicly to celebrate the mass murder of blacks or Jews or whoever else they currently hate, I'd say the same thing.

Its subhuman. IMO, it has no legitimate defense.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 10:01 pm
Sofia wrote:
"Sane news?" I don't think we should pretend these things aren't happening.

Hobitbob-- Don't know what makes you think there is any legitimacy surrounding the celebration of the murder of US civilians. It is illegitimate. It is wrong. It is invalid.

Unless you are in a Palestinian refugee camp, or similar situation. Its a matter of perspective. For a dyed in the wool IRA supporter, the detonation of a bomb in a London tube station is no different than the blowing up of an Iraqi command post is for an American CNN watcher. Now,are any of these wonderful moral things? No, of course not. But condemning out of hand someone else's political perspective because it is diferen from your own is naive. I may not agree with the gorup in London, but I understand their motivations. Perhaps if more people understood the motivations of people who do these things, they would be easier to prevent.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 10:10 pm
sofia, i really honestly think this is a non-event and the only outcome that it is having is based on the media creating a news story with stong emotional content. there are wild eyed wackos everywhere, all the time but we need not give them credibility by media coverage. this kind of ugliness only provokes more ugliness in its responses.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 10:22 pm
hobitbob--

Responding to what you said--
But condemning out of hand someone else's political perspective because it is diferen from your own is naive.
-----------
I am very comfortable condemning the celebration of mass murder. It would be naive if I didn't think there were differing opinions--it is only humane to completely reject the celebration of 911. I think it is disgusting to make excuses for it.
------------
dys--
If I thought ignoring things like this would make it go away, I would agree with you. Ignoring it is, IMO, part of what led to 911. I wouldn't want to foment vigilantism, but they should be seen for what they are. We shouldn't enable them, and strengthen them by protecting them from the public eye.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 10:37 pm
Again - ditto HobitBob. Thank god someone can say what I mean.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 10:46 pm
to quote that great paragon of compassionate international relations--if your not with us/me, you are a friggin' terrorist, anyone got any freedom fries? Why is it that I am always right and the rest of the world is so wrong?
0 Replies