Oh, by the way, who is your pediatric neuropsychologist?

DrewDad

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 10:24 pm
It may take some time for the neuropsychologist to integrate all the data and provide a report.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 06:34 am
Movement! Stuff is happening! This is good.

I think I've mentioned before a girl we know who reminds me of Mo, who has been getting OT and seems to really benefit from it.

Fingers crossed.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 06:50 am
A volcano, how cool. I wish I had a volcano to go hiking on. I dont think we have any volcanoes here. If I come visit you will you point me in the right direction?

errr it wont go off or anything will it?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 07:54 am
Agreeing with soz that movement and steps forward are good. Stressful, but good.

I hope you get some good feedback from today's appointment, boomer.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 05:11 pm
Holy cow, what an absolutely intense day.

We've been at it since 10:00 this morning and just finished up at 3:00 -- 5 hours of testing.

It isn't ADHD.

The diagnosis: adjustment disorder (http://www.psychologytoday.com/conditions/adjustment.html) with anxiety and depression.

The final report won't come for about two weeks but well before school starts so I will have ammuntion when they start yammering about ADHD and trying to put Mo at the Siberia Desk.

One of the really interesting things that came out of our visit was the psych telling me that studies show that once kids get a label -- even when it's just gossip -- that teachers do start treating the child differently and often reinforce the label.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 05:30 pm
Bingo.

and OK, now you can go on.

Man, I'm glad you got that appointment.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 05:33 pm
Hell yeah! That's great! That's workable! That's something he can outgrow!
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 06:04 pm
littlek wrote:
Hell yeah! That's great! That's workable! That's something he can outgrow!

This sounds like good news. Happy for the Boomerangs!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 07:37 pm
It's good to have a diagnosis to work with.

I'm glad you got the appointment and got through it.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 01:14 am
I thought all children were adjustable.

They certainly bend quite readily.

Have you tried adjusting the timing chain?

I laugh in the face of adversity. I hope you can too boomer.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 05:58 am
Sounds exhausting but of great use. I'm sure intense is an understatement.

Has he given you a next step recommendation?
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 09:34 am
Try googling 'pediatric neuropsychologist <your zip code>'
(leave out punctuation)
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 09:43 am
Man, that is good news! And yay for pissing on labels! Good job, boomer.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 10:19 am
I'm glad I have a research project today to provide distraction from the Noddy news.

"Adjustment disorder", "non-verbal learning disorder", "dyssemia", "frontal lobe impairment", "metal health parity law".

So while not exactly "good" news, it is news I can use to make sure Mo gets what he needs, especially at school.

While we don't yet have reccomendations per se, I was given some ideas on how to get started, I just need to get creative about it.

As exteme as it was, I'm really glad we went the route we did. Most likely we would have ended up with an ADHD diagnosis if we had gone a more typical evaluation.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 02:19 pm
boomerang wrote:

While we don't yet have reccomendations per se, I was given some ideas on how to get started, I just need to get creative about it.

Boomerang - not sure if that helps, it's from a copyrighted database so can only post the author's abstract here >

Quote:

> from article entitled
Quote:
"Drawing on the Wrong Side of the Brain: an Art Teacher's Case for Recognising NLD." by Richard Warren (2003)

> for which I can get you the full text in .pdf (if you'll re-send me your e-mail address by p.m. - sorry, I didn't keep yr msg that had it). So it's good news for the kid, great Smile
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 02:49 pm
Yes! I would love to read that! Thank you! I will PM you my email address right away.

The psychologist yesterday told us that it was a controversial diagnosis so I was surprised to find so much information about it. It sounds like it has been kind of tied into both ADHD or Asperger's but that the "fit" isn't really there. Interesting stuff.
High Seas

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 04:37 pm
@boomerang,
Boomerang - quick note to tell you I've changed again online addresses for e-mail; am not "bill" any longer, am now "ron" (yes, honestly) and will e-mail you so you have the new address. I just posted on another thread some info for Hamburger which may - may - be of some relevance to your research:
http://able2know.org/topic/126110-1#post-3487953

Wishing you and family a very happy Thanksgiving.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 10:06 pm
Thanks for the heads up! I'll be sure to look for "ron" from now on.

I hope you have a great Thanksgiving too, HoT Seas.
0 Replies