"New Politics"? Hah.

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 02:41 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
I don't know what education has to do with any of this or, for that matter, how you could possibly determine the education level of people posting on anonymous message board absent them telling you.

Spot on!
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 12:21 pm
sozobe wrote:
What I have been arguing is whether it's reasonable to consider Obama better than Hillary or McCain. Not perfect, not saintly, but a better candidate for the presidency than either of them. I think that's reasonable, and not justifiably dismissed as being "caught up in the hype."

I don't know if you personally are caught up in the hype. I'm responding to the initial post that seems to mock those who call his pandering what it is because I think there are a lot of people on the left who are very enthusiastic about Obama and are giving him a free pass on his political ideas and his character.

If you believe he's truly above pandering ideals then I'd say you are caught up in the hype. If you believe he's merely better than Hillary and McCain that's perfectly reasonable, but what I disagree with is his support base that touts him as a transformative political character but also forgive him his "old" political indulgences as election pragmatism.

That people are finding fault with him for very traditional political pandering is a function of him and a great deal of his support base portraying him as being above the very thing. I'm not trying to make a case that you are one of those people but do want to defend those who don't give Obama a free pass and who care about whether Obama's actions meet the lofty ideal in his rhetoric.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 12:23 pm
This formula will always hold true: politicians = pandering.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 05:03 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
rabel22 wrote:
No? People like CI and left eye seem to get real upset when some undereducated person like me points out that an education does not mean that you are smarter than those around you. It only means you have a piece of paper that states you completed 4 years or so of requirements for the compilation of a course in school. It dose not mean you really know what you are doing.

I for one don't get upset when you 'point that out.'

Cycloptichorn

No, you get snotty.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 05:03 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
rabel22 wrote:
No? People like CI and left eye seem to get real upset when some undereducated person like me points out that an education does not mean that you are smarter than those around you. It only means you have a piece of paper that states you completed 4 years or so of requirements for the compilation of a course in school. It dose not mean you really know what you are doing.

I for one don't get upset when you 'point that out.'

Cycloptichorn

No, you get snotty.

I don't think that's true.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 05:08 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
I don't know what education has to do with any of this or, for that matter, how you could possibly determine the education level of people posting on anonymous message board absent them telling you.

Spot on!

That's rich. You join with Cyclo in insulting rabel, and then "hear-hear" Freeduck's rebuke (of who?)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 05:10 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:

Spot on!

That's rich. You join with Cyclo in insulting rabel, and then "hear-hear" Freeduck's rebuke (of who?)

What FreeDuck said speaks for itself; no other explanation needed. You can conjure up anything you wish from his statement; or, you can respond to Cyclo's posts any way you wish. I just calls em the way I sees em; they're not always 20/20, but that's for you to figure out.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 05:17 pm
Shows what you know. Freeduck's a girl!

Nyah!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 05:42 pm
rabel22 wrote:
If you had you would find that I did attend some collage to implement my job as an electrician with the equivalent of 2 years of collage education. No piece of paper telling everyone how much smarter than them I am. I did work along side many so called engineers who couldn't wipe their a-s without help, thus the lack of respect for collage education. Paper dosent an education make.

Be cool brother.

You don't need to defend your education to anyone in this forum.

The fact that someone has a bachelors, masters or doctorates degree is by no means proof that they are more intelligent, more knowledgable, or even better educated than you.

It also doesn't mean they make more money than you. I may be mistaken but I believe Bill Gates had about as much of a college education as you.

There's certainly nothing wrong with extensive formal education, and degrees do signify a level of accomplishment, but these days, bachelor degrees are a penny a dozen and anyone with half a brain and the willpower to lay off drugs and booze (to excess) can get one.

Masters ain't that much harder to achieve, including MBAs.

My brother has his Phd, and while I love and respect him, he's not a genius, and he makes a whole lot less than me.

There are people who love to learn and these are the folks who get my respect. It really doesn't matter whether they learn in a formal or informal environment. The former spend more money and get a certificate that actually is worth something, but the latter get a less biased education.

Just because Cyclo can demand a cookie for running into Noam Chomsky at Berkely the other day, clearly doesn't signify that he is any more or less equipped than you to debate these topics.

A truly educated person knows the extent of his ignorance and would never lord his inadequate accomplishments over another.

BTW - No one would have discerned by your posts that the extent of your formal education did not reach a degree level. Either you previously told Cyclo you didn't have a degree (in which case he was being a snotty shite) or he was (as a snotty shite) trying to bait you.

Either way, eff him and the horse (CI?) he rode in on.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 05:48 pm
Finn, Bravo; I agree; degree or no degree doesn't make anyone more "intelligent" or more economically successful.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 05:57 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
rabel22 wrote:
If you had you would find that I did attend some collage to implement my job as an electrician with the equivalent of 2 years of collage education. No piece of paper telling everyone how much smarter than them I am. I did work along side many so called engineers who couldn't wipe their a-s without help, thus the lack of respect for collage education. Paper dosent an education make.

Be cool brother.

The fact that someone has a bachelors, masters or doctorates degree is by no means proof that they are more intelligent, more knowledgable, or even better educated than you.

It also doesn't mean they make more money than you. I may be mistaken but I believe Bill Gates had about as much of a college education as you.

There's certainly nothing wrong with extensive formal education, and degrees do signify a level of accomplishment, but these days, bachelor degrees are a penny a dozen and anyone with half a brain and the willpower to lay off drugs and booze (to excess) can get one.

My brother has his Phd, and while I love and respect him, he's not a genius, and he makes a whole lot less than me.

There are people who love to learn and these are the folks who get my respect. It really doesn't matter whether they learn in a formal or informal environment. The former spend more money and get a certificate that actually is worth something, but the latter get a less biased education.

Just because Cyclo can demand a cookie for running into Noam Chomsky at Berkely the other day, clearly doesn't signify that he is any more or less equipped than you to debate these topics.

A truly educated person knows the extent of his ignorance and would never lord his inadequate accomplishments over another.

BTW - No one would have discerned by your posts that the extent of your formal education did not reach a degree level. Either you previously told Cyclo you didn't have a degree (in which case he was being a snotty shite) or he was (as a snotty shite) trying to bait you.

The funny thing is, I didn't bring up his education; I didn't bring up anyone's education at all. It was Rabel himself who complained about those with college degrees acting in a fashion he didn't like. I brought up the fact that he comes off as a bitter old guy who likes to bitch about stuff online, with frequency. I never claimed anything about college educations, intelligence, earning potential, or anything of the sort in this thread, other then to say that there seems to be a persistent meme amongst many who lack college degrees, that a degree of education makes one less knowledgeable on subjects, or about 'real life.' I would advise Rabel to avoid the topic if he doesn't wish for people to respond to his attacks.

You are basically, as usual, talking out your ass. And frankly I think the fact that you've read far more into my comments then was written to be pretty revealing of a sense of inadequacy on your part. Or maybe you're just a dick. Either one is likely.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 06:11 pm
DrewDad, Where sex is not known, it was common to use the masculine gender ...

Thanks to you, now I know.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 09:27 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
rabel22 wrote:

Be cool brother.

The funny thing is, I didn't bring up his education; I didn't bring up anyone's education at all. It was Rabel himself who complained about those with college degrees acting in a fashion he didn't like. I brought up the fact that he comes off as a bitter old guy who likes to bitch about stuff online, with frequency. I never claimed anything about college educations, intelligence, earning potential, or anything of the sort in this thread, other then to say that there seems to be a persistent meme amongst many who lack college degrees, that a degree of education makes one less knowledgeable on subjects, or about 'real life.' I would advise Rabel to avoid the topic if he doesn't wish for people to respond to his attacks.

You are basically, as usual, talking out your ass. And frankly I think the fact that you've read far more into my comments then was written to be pretty revealing of a sense of inadequacy on your part. Or maybe you're just a dick. Either one is likely.

Cycloptichorn

It is amazing how often you have to argue that people like me and rabel are reading more into your comments.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 10:34 pm
No, it isn't.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 10:50 pm
Cyclo
When someone refers too me as an idiot, which you have on other threads, I don't have to guess that you have no respect for my opinion or me personally. Someone has wondered how I can judge intelligence or education from postings on this thread, I can not. when I speak of the difference between intelligence and education I refer to people I am and have been aquainted with in the past. I have never attacked a particular person on this thread by calling them an idiot or referred to someone as a bitter old man. Can you say the same?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 11:15 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
No, it isn't.

Cycloptichorn

You're like a child: "I know you are, but what am I?"
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 11:16 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
No, it isn't.

Cycloptichorn

You're like a child: "I know you are, but what am I?"

Wait, let me save you some typing:

Cycloptichorn wrote:
No I'm not.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 11:21 pm
Your posts to Cyclo aren't exactly mature either, Mr kettle.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 11:32 pm
snood wrote:
Your posts to Cyclo aren't exactly mature either, Mr kettle.

Scolded by Mr. Pot!

Wait, isn't "black" in there somewhere?

I'm sorry if I offended.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 07:31 am
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
It is amazing how often you have to argue that people like me and rabel are reading more into your comments.

This just begs for a snarky comment about reading comprehension....

Because really, rabel brought education into the discussion, Cyclo told him to stuff it, and here you are on this ridiculous high horse.
0 Replies