"New Politics"? Hah.

sozobe

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 11:36 am
I was going to vote for Obama. But then he got this logo. I thought he was a new politician who was going to do politics in a new way. Has there EVER been a politician who didn't have a logo? OK, maybe back 50 years ago, but in modern politics? Yeah, I didn't think so.

It's just, so, like, corporate. <shudder>

And then, that's not all. He got a SLOGAN! I know! I couldn't believe it either. That's when my faith really began to crack. It was all sound-bitey and ****, too. I thought he was anti-sound-bite? I thought he was all about nuance and shadings and really digging in to get at the truth of something. His slogan is five words. Five words!!

Oh and you know what really put the nail in the coffin for me? He's been campaigning. The guy has two little kids at home and two books out that anyone can read and a website with tons of information about him and articles, like, everywhere, but he has to go campaign? Why? Isn't that just pure old politics? All that hand-shaking and baby-kissing and photo ops -- give me a break.

I think I'll run for president in 2012. I'll make a website that lists everything that I would do as president and then just stay home and wait to be elected. My ideas are great, I don't need any of that old-style politics to win.

Y'all are invited to my inauguration. It'll be fab.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,736 • Replies: 92
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 11:41 am
Re: "New Politics"? Hah.
sozobe wrote:
It'll be fab.

Obvs.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 12:34 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 12:40 pm
Sure, sure.

And, even while you claim to be otherpolitical, I'm sure your website address will be www.sozobeforpresident so you can claim a one word name instead of a five word slogan. Rolling Eyes

You're just like the rest of 'em.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 12:42 pm
HEY, that web address is available. I think I'll godaddy and claim it so you have to pay me big bucks to get it in 2010 and then you'll owe me a bunch of favors once you get in office.

(Word. I'm demanding the Vice position)
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 12:46 pm
oy vey

Laughing
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 12:47 pm
VP? I dunno, squinney. You're a bit too... friendly. Everyone loves you. If you like stay in your basement for the entire campaign, maybe. But I can so see you throwing a spectacular party and then convincing everyone there to vote for us... and that just won't do.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 02:12 pm
What about me? I'm not as nice as her. Are you allowed to have a foreigner as VP?

Come to think of it, I may have too many skeletons in my closet for public office.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 02:30 pm
Well, skeletons are good though! They're very new politics. And foreigner-ness too. I think you've just earned yourself a Veep slot!

Hmm, about the foreign-ness -- might be better if you were, like, Iraqi -- preferably male and bearded. Might have to think about this a bit longer.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 02:34 pm
What if I just bullshit and say I'm French Canadian? Would that do it? Or maybe I could trade in on all my skeletons. Come on, pick me, pick me!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 02:43 pm
"oy vey" doesn't say half of what I'm thinking. LOL
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 03:11 pm
Mame wrote:
What if I just bullshit and say I'm French Canadian? Would that do it? Or maybe I could trade in on all my skeletons. Come on, pick me, pick me!

I dunno... how do you feel about wearing a fake beard? For a year or two?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 05:02 pm
sozobe wrote:
I was going to vote for Obama. But then he got this logo. I thought he was a new politician who was going to do politics in a new way. Has there EVER been a politician who didn't have a logo? OK, maybe back 50 years ago, but in modern politics? Yeah, I didn't think so.

And then, that's not all. He got a SLOGAN! I know! I couldn't believe it either. That's when my faith really began to crack. It was all sound-bitey and ****, too. I thought he was anti-sound-bite? I thought he was all about nuance and shadings and really digging in to get at the truth of something. His slogan is five words. Five words!!

Oh and you know what really put the nail in the coffin for me? He's been campaigning. The guy has two little kids at home and two books out that anyone can read and a website with tons of information about him and articles, like, everywhere, but he has to go campaign? Why? Isn't that just pure old politics? All that hand-shaking and baby-kissing and photo ops -- give me a break.

I think I'll run for president in 2012. I'll make a website that lists everything that I would do as president and then just stay home and wait to be elected. My ideas are great, I don't need any of that old-style politics to win.

Oh wait, I get it...it's sarcasm!

Trouble is that the signs that Obama is nothing like the New Politician he claims to be have nothing to do with slogans, logos and kissing babies.

They have to do with:

His going back on a promise and principle to get as much money as he possibly can for his candidacy.

His bringing Washington Wisemen into his campaign, and throwing them under the bus the minute their inevitable ties create a rukus.

His adroit ability to play the race card while accusing his opponents of doing so.

His talent at lying.

The "New Politician" is not required to announce his or her candidacy and then sit back and wait for the votes to roll in. Actually, the "New Politician" is not, as Obama demonstrates, required to do anything different other than to lay claim to difference.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 05:12 pm
unfortunately , every politician who wants to get elected has to have "popular appeal" - whatever that means .
a politician who dares telling the truth doesn't have much of a chance of getting elected (example : never mention the word "taxes" unless you promise a tax decrease , no matter what) .
many/most people don't like hearing the truth imo .
politicians that speak like dentists : "you have rotten teeth and they'll have to come out" - don't have much of a chance of getting elected .
hbg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 05:56 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
sozobe wrote:

Oh wait, I get it...it's sarcasm!

Trouble is that the signs that Obama is nothing like the New Politician he claims to be have nothing to do with slogans, logos and kissing babies.

They have to do with:

His going back on a promise and principle to get as much money as he possibly can for his candidacy.

His bringing Washington Wisemen into his campaign, and throwing them under the bus the minute their inevitable ties create a rukus.

His adroit ability to play the race card while accusing his opponents of doing so.

His talent at lying.

The "New Politician" is not required to announce his or her candidacy and then sit back and wait for the votes to roll in. Actually, the "New Politician" is not, as Obama demonstrates, required to do anything different other than to lay claim to difference.

And I thought you were talking about George Bush.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 08:02 pm
hamburger wrote:
unfortunately , every politician who wants to get elected has to have "popular appeal" - whatever that means .
a politician who dares telling the truth doesn't have much of a chance of getting elected (example : never mention the word "taxes" unless you promise a tax decrease , no matter what) .
politicians that speak like dentists : "you have rotten teeth and they'll have to come out" - don't have much of a chance of getting elected .
hbg

Perhaps, but that's "Old School Politics" wherein getting elected is more important that principle.

Whether or not he was sincere when he started out, it's clear that Obama has fallen squarely into the hubristic trap (helped set for him by sycophantic advisors) of believing that his election to the office is too important to allow little things like promises and principles get in the way. When he gets in office, then he can do all of the great things he's promised.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 08:04 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:

And I thought you were talking about George Bush.

How sad for his fans that the comparison may be apt.

I never expected W to change national politics.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 08:05 pm
I guess that means you can't vote for Obama, Finn, because he is trying to get elected.

Who ARE you going to vote for? Who isn't trying to get elected?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 08:05 pm
Quote:
Perhaps, but that's "Old School Politics" wherein getting elected is more important that principle.

not many politicians are getting elected on "principle" imo .
once a politician talks about higher taxes - no matter how correct the statement - he/she is dead meat .
hbg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 08:07 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
hamburger wrote:
hbg

Whether or not he was sincere when he started out, it's clear that Obama has fallen squarely into the hubristic trap (helped set for him by sycophantic advisors) of believing that his election to the office is too important to allow little things like promises and principles get in the way. When he gets in office, then he can do all of the great things he's promised.

Come on, Finn, give Obama a break! Most presidential candidates makes promises they never keep - including some of the good ones. We all know about the "Swift Boat Vets for Truth," and that's all part and parcel of politics. Most voters are just too lazy to learn the truth on their own, and the impressions most voters have by November aren't all that accurate. Chalk it up to contemporary politics.
0 Replies