Fear of a Black President

Stray Cat

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 09:54 pm
I won't be voting for him.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 10:39 pm
God help us if he loses.

Europe will be convinced that we a racist society.

African-Americans will be convinced that the black man always gets it in the neck.

Liberals will be convinced that Evil dominates America and that in our racist society a black man will always get it in the neck.

We have to elect him if we are to have people like us more.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 10:40 pm
Diest TKO wrote:
H2O_MAN wrote:
Zero Americans are without health care, but many lack health insurance.

Are you just desperate for attention? What else could motivate stupidity like this?

T
K
O

Actually, he is correct.
NOBODY can be denied health care in an emergency room in this country, even if they cant pay for it.
That doesnt mean that they will get a private room, but it does mean they will get the care needed to stabilize them.

So, H2Oman is actually correct.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 11:53 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
God help us if he loses.

African-Americans will be convinced that the black man always gets it in the neck.

I don't care if the Europeans like us better. This is about life in America, as far as I'm concerned.

Look what happened when the credit card companies were deregulated.

There used to be a law called "usury," meaning that loans could not go over a certain percentage of interest. That's gone now because deregulators did the same exact thing with the credit card industry.

All credit card companies are now headquartered in Delaware, which has the most lax regulation of usury (in other words, none at all). Delaware is also small enough that the credit card companies can easily make certain no politician bucks them. The health insurance companies would try something similar with McCain's idiotic plan.

McCain also wants to eliminate the tax breaks employers use to provide health insurance for their employees -- basically forcing Americans to fend for themselves and try to obtain coverage from deregulated insurance companies.

Oh yes, McCain says he will give individuals a $2,500 tax credit -- and a $5,000 credit to families -- to help pay for insurance.

Never mind that insurance coverage for a year could well cost $12,000 or more!
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 03:02 am
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
God help us if he loses.

Liberals will be convinced that Evil dominates America and that in our racist society a black man will always get it in the neck.

Yeah there's that - and then there's those who will vote for him because they think he's the better man for the job.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 05:23 am
H2Oman is actually correct.
mysteryman wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
H2O_MAN wrote:

Are you just desperate for attention? What else could motivate stupidity like this?

T
K
O

Actually, he is correct.
NOBODY can be denied health care in an emergency room in this country, even if they cant pay for it.
That doesnt mean that they will get a private room, but it does mean they will get the care needed to stabilize them.

Cool
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 05:27 am
I am afraid of a black president.
I am afraid of a black bus driver.
I am afraid of a black bear.
I am afraid of a black construction worker.
I am afraid of a black police officer.
I am afraid of a black basketball player.
I am afraid of a black waiter.
I am afraid of a black mailman.

Whew....glad I got all of those off my chest.

On to the next post about blackness by snood.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 05:31 am
Breathe deep the gathering gloom,
Watch lights fade from every room.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 05:33 am
mysteryman wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
H2O_MAN wrote:

T
K
O

Actually, he is correct.

Mysteryman, you know as well as the rest of us do that:

Healthcare provided by having health insurance is not equal to healtcare provided by emergency rooms.

AND, if we wanted to treat our ERs as defacto health insurance then our government would be better off adopting a plan like Germany's (it'd be much cheaper).
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 05:53 am
You're right maporsche...

I do harp on this "black president" thing every single time we have a viable black candidate for president.

Wait...
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 05:58 am
maporsche wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
H2O_MAN wrote:

T
K
O

Actually, he is correct.

Healthcare provided by having health insurance is not equal to healtcare provided by emergency rooms.

AND, if we wanted to treat our ERs as defacto health insurance then our government would be better off adopting a plan like Germany's (it'd be much cheaper).

Cheaper isn't better and mirroring the Germans plan would not help anyone.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 06:52 am
maporsche wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
H2O_MAN wrote:

T
K
O

Actually, he is correct.

I dont deny that, but that has nothing to do with waterman's basic point.
NOBODY is denied healthcare,but having insurance (or the ability to pay), will get you more and probably better healthcare.

0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 12:56 pm
Since when is "health care" synonymous with "service?"

In terms of health care, you only going to get what you need if you can afford it, otherwise, they will just stop you from dying. Dying on their stoop that is...

...wait, I spoke too soon.

Quote:
Woman dies ignored on hospital waiting room floor - CNN

NEW YORK (AP) -- City hospital officials said they were shocked by surveillance footage showing a woman falling from her chair, writhing on the floor and dying as workers failed to help for more than an hour.
Surveillance video shows a woman lying on the hospital floor for almost an hour before anyone helped her.

Esmin Green, 49, had been waiting in the emergency room for nearly 24 hours when she toppled from her seat at 5:32 a.m. June 19, falling face-down on the floor.

She was dead by 6:35, when someone on the medical staff, flagged down by a person in the waiting room, finally approached, nudged Green with her foot and gently prodded her shoulder, as if to wake her.

The staffer left and returned with someone wearing a white lab coat who examined her and summoned help.

Until the staffer's appearance, Green's collapse barely caused a ripple. Other patients waiting a few feet away didn't react. Security guards and a member of the hospital's staff appeared to notice her prone body at least three times but made no visible attempt to see whether she needed help. Video Watch the surveillance video ยป

One guard didn't even leave his chair, rolling it around a corner to stare at the body and then rolling away a few moments later.

Green, who had been involuntarily committed the previous morning and had waited overnight for a bed, stopped moving about half an hour after she collapsed.

The New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation, which runs the hospital, said six people have been fired as a result of the incident, including security personnel and members of the medical staff.

Green's medical records raised the possibility that someone might have tried to cover up the circumstances of the death.

They contained notations indicating that she was up and about during the time in which the video shows her dying on the floor.

"We are all shocked and distressed by this situation," HHC's president, Alan Aviles, said in a statement. "We express our deep regrets to the patient's family and will ensure a thorough investigation to answer any questions that remain."

Details of the death were disclosed by the hospital June 20, but the case largely remained unnoticed until the video became public.

The psychiatric unit at Kings County Hospital had been a subject of complaints by advocates for the mentally ill.

A state agency, the New York State Mental Hygiene Legal Service, filed a lawsuit a year ago, calling the psychiatric center "a chamber of filth, decay, indifference and danger."

Patients, the suit said, "are subjected to overcrowded and squalid conditions often accompanied by physical abuse and unnecessary and punitive injections of mind-altering drugs."

"From the moment a person steps through the doors," it added, "she is stripped of her freedom and dignity and literally forced to fight for the essentials of life."

The suit was especially critical of the hospital's emergency ward, saying it is so poorly staffed that patients are often marooned there for days while they wait to be evaluated.
advertisement

Sometimes, the unit runs out of chairs, according to the lawsuit, forcing people to wait on foam mats or on the waiting room floor. The suit also claims that bathrooms are filthy and filled with flies, and that patients who complain too loudly are sometimes handcuffed, beaten or injected with psychotropic drugs.

The office of the city's medical examiner said it was still trying to determine why Green died. She had been brought to the hospital suffering from agitation and psychosis, city officials said.

source: http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/07/01/hospital.death.ap/

So the idea that "nobody" is denied health care (health care as a stretched definition of service at that) is pretty much total crap.

T
K
O
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 01:47 pm
Diest TKO wrote:
Quote:

Jesus H Effing Christ.

That is a horrible story.

Horrible, horrible.

And this is happening in America? The richest country in the world?

It sounds like something from communist Romania or something...

Jesus.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 01:56 pm
I agree, horrible.

Those who say 'anyone can go the emergency room!' are idiots, pure idiots. The emergency room is where you go for emergencies. And they are super-expensive to run. What do those without health insurance do when it isn't an emergency - yet? Or about, say, their heart health, or their lymph system? How do they get cancer screenings or general checkups?

They don't; they then get sicker and sicker until they end up in the emergency room, at which point they cost everyone a ton of money. It's the most asinine suggestion I've ever heard.

Cyclotpichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 02:00 pm
nimh wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
Quote:

Jesus H Effing Christ.

That is a horrible story.

Horrible, horrible.

And this is happening in America? The richest country in the world?

It sounds like something from communist Romania or something...

Jesus.

I thought taht story was posted here before. I know I read it somewhere.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 02:00 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
. The emergency room is where you go for emergencies.

That's the it's supposed to work, but that's not the reality.
People go to emergency rooms for all sorts of non-emergencies.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 02:52 pm
H2O_MAN wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

That's how the system in the US is built; inefficiency built into the federally mandated policy; no one can be turned away from the emergency room. That's where you conservatives who doesn't like universal health care is part of the problem; you'd rather pay when the patient doesn't need emergency care by not offering any options. FYI, the emergency room is the most expensive place to provide medical care.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 02:57 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
H2O_MAN wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

That's how the system in the US is built; inefficiency built into the federally mandated policy; no one can be turned away from the emergency room. That's where you conservatives who doesn't like universal health care is part of the problem; you'd rather pay when the patient doesn't need emergency care by not offering any options. FYI, the emergency room is the most expensive place to provide medical care.

Government health care will cause far more suffering and deaths than the current mess.
It's a change we can do without.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 03:02 pm
H2O_MAN wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:
H2O_MAN wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Government health care will cause far more suffering and deaths than the current mess.
It's a change we can do without.

You are ignorant on most topics being discussed; where do you get the idiotic idea it's going to be "government health care?"
0 Replies