Fear of a Black President

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 08:28 am
i dunno..
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 08:54 am
shewolfnm wrote:
You give me no reason to get ethnic...but have no fear... I can click my teeth and roll my head with the best of them..

it is just a white world so I must behave appropriately..

in that case.... go fetch my coffee....
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 09:31 am
Ah... so refreshing - the genuine, lighthearted and pithy banter among friends of different ethnicities...

maybe we'll even get to experience BPB calling Shewolf a n*gger and getting a rolly-eyed emoticon giggle...
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 09:36 am
maybe you should stage a protest with your cyber militant panther group... you know, the neutered ones....
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 10:31 am
snood wrote:
Ah... so refreshing - the genuine, lighthearted and pithy banter among friends of different ethnicities...

maybe we'll even get to experience BPB calling Shewolf a n*gger and getting a rolly-eyed emoticon giggle...

If you're being sarcastic, it's lost on me.

Yeah, I suppose it is the genuine banter between friends. As far as the pithy and lighthearted, well, that's the way I talk with everyone. Wasn't trying to be any particular way. It's Chai being Chai.

I was serious when I asked shewolf what I could do to make her act all ethnic and everything. Made me wonder if it would make someone with her background look at her more approvingly if she did neck rolls while she spoke to me.

I don't know, am I supposed to act a particular ethnic way when I talk to her? Maybe more sedate and White like?

snood, truths are often spoken in jest.

to which group is pithiness more common? I want to know so I don't accidently pith someone off.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 10:37 am
Bear... my sweet honkey.. Dont be worried that you would ever offend me.I see farther into a person then their simple skin color . Off color jokes are funny to me.. pun intended.

I can throw around non pc, racist, and pointless jokes in my sleep and can take them just as well.

If snood wants to call me simple because I dont agree with him. So be it Smile
I dont see any insult in it even if it was intended. It is really no big deal.

When you enter the politics forum, you expect that .

To me, the issue of race in this election IS simple.

people will vote for him ( Obama ) because he is black
People will NOT vote for him because he is black
People will judge him because he is black
and People will assume either great things, or awful things because he is black.
So be it. So what. Who cares.

Everyone has that right , and since it is election season, everyone will have an opinion.

Take out the word black, insert vagina.. and then repeat my above sentences.

( People will vote for HER because she has a vagina.. People WONT vote for her because she has a vagina and so on...)

what people vote FOR and who people vote FOR changes every election season. It is only the face of the election that is different.
Mudslinging comments are almost plug and play efforts. ( see my vagina example )

Sorry. I dont get all that worked up over politics.
I know my one voice in one fight in the middle of billions of americans really means nothing in the big scheme of things and it doesn't offend me. Laughing
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 10:56 am
Very interesting topic.

Okay, as a (legal) European immigrant, I don't see the color. What I see,
is an idealistic person who is determined to turn this country around and
make it as profitable as can be for everyone - even for illegal immigrants.
I can identify with his ideas and the plan he's outlined so far.

-------

My question to the black a2k members is: Because of Obama being black,
do you expect more from him in regards to racial issues and
supporting the African-American society in their causes, as you would with
any other kandidat?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 10:58 am
no.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 11:51 am
CalamityJane wrote:
Very interesting topic.

-------

any other kandidat?

yes
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 12:07 pm
Quote:
3 in 10 Americans Admit to Race Bias

By Jon Cohen and Jennifer Agiesta
Washington Post Staff Writers
Sunday, June 22, 2008; Page A01

As Sen. Barack Obama opens his campaign as the first African American on a major party presidential ticket, nearly half of all Americans say race relations in the country are in bad shape and three in 10 acknowledge feelings of racial prejudice, according to a new Washington Post-ABC News poll.

Lingering racial bias affects the public's assessments of the Democrat from Illinois, but offsetting advantages and Sen. John McCain's age could be bigger factors in determining the next occupant of the White House.

Overall, 51 percent call the current state of race relations "excellent" or "good," about the same as said so five years ago. That is a relative thaw from more negative ratings in the 1990s, but the gap between whites and blacks on the issue is now the widest it has been in polls dating to early 1992.

More than six in 10 African Americans now rate race relations as "not so good" or "poor," while 53 percent of whites hold more positive views. Opinions are also divided along racial lines, though less so, on whether blacks face discrimination. There is more similarity on feelings of personal racial prejudice: Thirty percent of whites and 34 percent of blacks admit such sentiments.

At the same time, there is an overwhelming public openness to the idea of electing an African American to the presidency. In a Post-ABC News poll last month, nearly nine in 10 whites said they would be comfortable with a black president. While fewer whites, about two-thirds, said they would be "entirely comfortable" with it, that was more than double the percentage of all adults who said they would be so at ease with someone entering office for the first time at age 72, which McCain (R-Ariz.) would do should he prevail in November.

Even so, just over half of whites in the new poll called Obama a "risky" choice for the White House, while two-thirds said McCain is a "safe" pick. Forty-three percent of whites said Obama has sufficient experience to serve effectively as president, and about two in 10 worry he would overrepresent the interests of African Americans.

Obama will be forced to confront these views as he seeks to broaden his appeal. He leads in the Post-ABC poll by six percentage points among all adults, but among those who are most likely to vote, the contest is a tossup, with McCain at 48 percent and Obama at 47 percent.

His campaign advisers hope race may prove a benefit, that heightened enthusiasm among African Americans will make Obama competitive in GOP-leaning states with large black populations. But to win in November, Obama most likely will have to close what is now a 12-point deficit among whites. (Whites made up 77 percent of all voters in 2004; blacks were 11 percent, according to network exit polls.)

This is hardly the first time a Democratic candidate has faced such a challenge -- Al Gore lost white voters by 12 points in 2000, and John F. Kerry lost them by 17 points in 2004 -- but it is a significantly larger shortfall than Jimmy Carter or Bill Clinton encountered in their winning campaigns.

Many think Obama has the potential to transform current racial politics. Nearly six in 10 believe his candidacy will shake up the racial status quo, for better or worse. And by nearly 3 to 1, those who think Obama's candidacy will affect race relations said it will have a positive impact. (Four in 10 said it probably will not make much of a difference.)

African Americans are much more optimistic than whites on this score: Sixty percent said Obama's candidacy will do more to help race relations, compared with 38 percent of whites. Two-thirds of those supporting him for president think it will improve the situation.

But sorting out the impact of these and other racial attitudes on the presidential election is not straightforward.

About a fifth of whites said a candidate's race is important in determining their vote, but Obama does no worse among those who said so than among those who called it a small factor or no factor.

Nor are whites who said they have at least some feelings of racial prejudice more or less apt to support Obama than those who profess no such feelings.

Putting several measures together into a "racial sensitivity index" reveals that these attitudes have a significant impact on vote preferences, independent of partisan identification. Combining answers to questions about racist feelings, perceptions of discrimination and whether the respondent has a close personal friend of another race into a three-part scale shows the importance of underlying racial attitudes.

Whites in the top sensitivity group broke for Obama by nearly 20 percentage points, while those in the lowest of the three categories went for McCain by almost 2 to 1.

A similar pattern holds among Democrats. Obama scores more than 20 points better among nonblack Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents in the "high" group than he does among those in the "low" group.

Obama has some convincing to do among the 29 percent of whites who fall into the scale's lowest category. (Twenty-one percent were in the top grouping, 50 percent in the middle.) Almost six in 10 whites in the low-sensitivity group see him as a risky choice, and a similar percentage said they know little or nothing about where he stands on specific issues. Nearly half do not think his candidacy will alter race relations in the country; 20 percent think it will probably make race relations worse.

But McCain's challenges are also an important part of the equation.

Numerous polls, for example, have indicated that McCain's age may be a bigger detractor than Obama's race. And more are now concerned that McCain will heed too closely the interests of large corporations than said so about Obama and the interests of blacks.

The poll was conducted by telephone June 12 through June 15 among a national random sample of 1,125 adults. The results from the full poll have a margin of sampling error of plus or minus three percentage points. The error margin is larger for subgroups; it is four points among whites and seven points among African Americans.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/21/AR2008062101825.html?hpid=topnews
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 01:35 pm
snood wrote:
CalamityJane wrote:
Very interesting topic.

-------

any other kandidat?

yes

wait 'til you find out being your champion isn't his main concern.... maybe you'll choke on it....
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 01:38 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
snood wrote:
CalamityJane wrote:
Very interesting topic.

-------

any other kandidat?

yes

wait 'til you find out being your champion isn't his main concern.... maybe you'll choke on it....

Hey, so we all have something to hope for - maybe he will push some initiatives that help the black community, and you'll choke on that...

Wow, as miserable a wretch as you are now, its sure a good thing you're not bitter...
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 01:42 pm
Snood, would you mind being more detailed in what you hope Obama
will address/implement specifically for the African-American population?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 01:49 pm
snood wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
snood wrote:
CalamityJane wrote:
Very interesting topic.

-------

any other kandidat?

yes

Hey, so we all have something to hope for - maybe he will push some initiatives that help the black community, and you'll choke on that...

Wow, as miserable a wretch as you are now, its sure a good thing you're not bitter...

snood, I have nothing against black initiatives and a level playing field as you damn well know, and I'm not the one who thinks the world owes him a living for any reason so I really don't understand your constant portrayal of me as someone who is bitter.... I could carve a totem pole out of the chip on your shoulder. I won't respond to you if you will not speak to me.... that's the simple solution. Your move.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 02:25 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
Snood, would you mind being more detailed in what you hope Obama
will address/implement specifically for the African-American population?

Also interested.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 02:43 pm
Quote:

The problem is, I think there are untold numbers of whites who can't bring themselves to pull the lever for Obama because of that fear -- the fear that a black president somehow takes us white folks down a notch.

Jesus. Do we really have to play such a stupid game?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 02:59 pm
Re: Fear of a Black President
snood wrote:

I've donated to his campaign and phone banked on his behalf, and I believe he's a brilliant, once-in-a-lifetime leader -- not because of the color of his skin, but because of the content of his character, and the quality of his mind. I agree with djarvis: "we are electing a person, not a symbol...

In a perfect world I might get a shot at casting a vote based purely on brains, talent, and speaking ability, and Obama would be an easy choice over John McCain or Hillary Clinton. But the present dem party is more baggage than any man can carry and Obama's entire life appears to be one gigantic exercise in baggage management.

Socially the guy is somewhere between a communist and a black muslim and whether or not he'd be able to figure a way out of all that when the time came to make real decisions is a chance I'd rather not take.

As to the idea of a black president in general, I could gleefully pull the lever to vote for J.C. Watts for president.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 03:02 pm
Every candidate is a pig in a poke, gunga. And every last person on the planet has baggage. It just comes down to whether they let their baggage influence their decisions and control them.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 03:26 pm
A certain amount of PERSONAL baggage I could live with. The baggage you're talking about with the dem party is all expensive baggage. The green part of the dem baggage is costing us $4.20 a gallon for gas as we speak....
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 03:28 pm
woiyo wrote:
I do not need a translation to see racism and prejudice from people like you ...

What people are like me?
0 Replies