farmerman

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 03:33 pm
@roger,
aIve been a proponent of shale gas but, as its playing out, the citizenry of the several states are getting the shaft with unassailable evidence that fracking aint 100% safe. Weve got about 50 individual major complaints over gas leakage into shallow water supplied with rock wells. My group has been working on the statistical significance of where the gas leakage is most noted and its where the bedrock is shallow and the glacial overburden is less than 25 feet. The amounts of actual gas/water table interconnections is about 8% of all frack wells. Thats a lot really.
The Pa legislature is going to ram this down the Governors throat and hes threatened to veto any extraction fees and new environmental oversight requirements. The gas lobby is putting up big bucks in ads about how we should let the market take care of environmental problems and let the market remind you how many jobs are at stake. A sort of sugar coated threat if the DEP is given a heavier role. Its more likely that the gas companies will cap their own wells if the gas prices keep dropping.

Williamsport used to be a dingey little rust belt town cleaned out of its coal and other industry like pulp and paper. Now, every consulting company in the nation has suddenly moved in by some made up "Q and E" credentials like theyve been "in the gas plays for years", all of em are lying sacks of ****. I was collecting some data from a consulting company that recently moved into Williamsport to work dfor the gas play. Theyve been a big waste and HAz waste techy company that was hired not for their expertise in gas geology but mostly to keep them quiet so they dont get on the gas companies cases when its found out that all these frack wells are really class 4 deep well injection sites (Thats why Cheny had them excluded from the Clean Water ACt and Superfund and others). Congress Frack Act is slowly fighting its way through headwaters of lobbyists who are being paid millions to kill it and the State of PA may slowly getting its balls sewn back on because, since PA never was a signer of the Clean Water ACt we see it as our solemn duty not to **** up the water even more than coal mining has done. Several laws are gonna be sent to the Governor who will veto them and then it appears that the GOP and DEMS are together on this and the governor will be overridden. (Its amazing how stupid politicians think we are where with this outcome everyone looks like they were doing their bidding)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pahutzerry is actually Hutzpah except it doesnt read well to say HUTZPAHERRY
spendius

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 04:23 pm
@roger,
Quote:
I think their bias might have gotten ahead of some of the facts.

These things happen rog. We have to learn to live with it I'm afraid.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 04:28 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
(Its amazing how stupid politicians think we are where with this outcome everyone looks like they were doing their bidding)

It doesn't amaze me. I'm not sure they could reasonably come to any other conclusion.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 07:19 pm
I see at the bottom of the page is an advert for a Plaintiffs attorney who is interested in going after the fruckin frakkers.
"we dont get paid until you get paid" Beware the Jub jub bird, for they have not the superior resources to stifle your case in cyclic motions and filings until your dear plaintiffs attorney is broke
LionTamerX

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 10:42 am
@farmerman,
This coloring book explains that fracking makes mommy and daddy happy.

http://www.rodale.com/fracking-coloring-book
farmerman

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 12:08 pm
@LionTamerX,
FRACKOSAURUS?? JEEZUS H CHRIST!!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 06:57 pm
Texas Gov. Rick Perry signs fracking disclosure bill | Need to Know
to.pbs.org
The Texas governor and expected presidential candidate has signed a bill requiring gas drillers to disclose the chemicals used in hydraulic fracturing...
farmerman

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 06:59 pm
@edgarblythe,
Thats a first cause the gas drillers are immune from Fed laws
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 07:03 pm
@farmerman,
It is the only act by Perry I can think of that makes any sense at all.
farmerman

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 07:10 pm
@edgarblythe,
Hes seriously running for president? I think he carries a lot of weirdness baggage to be a serious candidate.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 07:12 pm
@farmerman,
Fortunately, nobody outside of Texas seems to pay him any mind.
farmerman

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 01:52 pm
@edgarblythe,
WEll, the MArcellus Shale Advisory Committee has come out ith its reccomendations. There are a significant number of them of the environmental nature and would require that the drillers prove that they ARE NOT a source of pollution in gas migration and stream pollution. You can see what we pay our committee members to do.
http://tinyurl.com/shalereport:
farmerman

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 05:39 pm
@farmerman,
The ahale oil boom has created thousands of "Shaleionnaires" wherein lease payments and royalty payments have resulted i may poor landowners to remain farming and purchase new equipment and have a little left to save for retirement. OOPS, sorry!!
The tumbling price of natural gas (its as low as its been since the CArter Administration) has caused many drilling syndicates to shut down drilling and cap existing wells with no production planned until the "market" drives the cost of nat gas back up. Now this will cause many of the similar shale beds around the world to be developed by local interests and will cause an even greater world glut of gas and even lower prices.

I think its time that we all consider switching our cars from gas or diesel to natural gas. Good for the enviromet and the industry and the consumer.
Lundberg had cal'c that, if we had 65 million US cars all on nat gas, wed have a 159 year supply (with continued use of at gas for heating and electric generation)

High prices ALWAYS lead to low prices and low prices summon the return of high prices.
roger

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 10:04 pm
@farmerman,
BLM must not have much of a presence in your area. Around here, you can shut in all the wells you want, but BLM tells you how long they can remain shut in without being forcet to plug and abandon.
spendius

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 03:03 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
High prices ALWAYS lead to low prices and low prices summon the return of high prices.

What price is bio-fuel now? You were promoting that not so long ago and it's never mentioned these days.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 03:11 am
@roger,
So much dope gets grown on BLM land. I've often wondered if they regulate that.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 03:38 am
@roger,
BLM is a non issue i PA. We have severl bazillio acres of state owned lands that have been opened to shale gas (with no fees to the state).
Most wells are on private land and the land owners had been paid for lease rights at about 2500 per acre.

The majopr drillers have begun capping wells for a indeterminate time. This has caused many shalionnaires to default ion big equipment loans etc. Many loas were issued with the "promise" of payment and that had not transpired.
Its getting a bit ugly .
spendius

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 04:37 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Its getting a bit ugly .

That's inevitable when the duly constituted authority is undermined by the squawking cacophony of a range of self-interested parties all promulgating partial and superficially plausible arguments and each having a cosy relationship with segments of the information dissemination complex.

Ugly becomes axiomatic.
0 Replies

Solius Symbiosus

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 07:46 am
@farmerman,
Farmerman wrote:
Quote:
we havent even tapped the methyl clathrate (renewable methane) deposits of the sea floor...

For the record, methane hydrates are not renewable energy resources, and they are found throughout the permafrost in northern latitudes. And, that is the problem.

Burning of hydrocarbons release CO₂ into the atmosphere. CO₂ in the atmosphere traps heat from the Sun(CO₂ is the reason that the surface temperature on Venus is around 900°F ≌ 500°C).

As the temperature increases, more clathrates are released. As more clathrates are released, the temperature increases-- it is a feedback loop!

Clathrates are 32 times more efficient at trapping energy from the Sun than CO₂.
spendius

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 01:39 pm
@Solius Symbiosus,
And vast areas of eastern Russia are permafrost.