farmerman

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2011 06:46 am
@farmerman,
The drilling in the Marcellus shale in PA is turning against the citizenry. The new governor has opened areas to drilling that were originally closed for environmental sensitivity reasons. The DNR has been given oversight, thuis in effect, telling the ENvironmental AGeincies to "**** off, we will take care of it" (
My opriginal and continuing thesis has been that industry, left on its own, will not d a damn thing to protect public health or the environment.
On top of all this, the governor SHUT DOWN any reasonable potential of collecting extraction tax from the gas companies. He stated that the iductries already pay a hefty CNI (corp net income) tax. THAT IS BULLSHIT as anyone in the extraction industry knows. You are busy the first several years expensing the **** out of all the exploration equipment.
Im getting disillusioned at how we seem to be plummeting into another "
gilded age" syndrome where , as weve learnt from history, the coal barons, without any regulation during the early 20th century, have fouled about 25000 miles of streams with acid deposition. Moast of our streams in the coal regions are lifeless because they have pH less than 4.

Believe me, I dont buy the thesis of the silly movies like "Gaqslaqnd" where the proposal seems to be shut down drilling. I, on the other hand feel that the drilling should be given oversight by poeople who arent in a conflict of interests position like the DNR and we should tax the activities and , despitetrying to make sure that problems dont occur., However WHEN problems do occur make the gas companies pay for any damages . We wont drive them away, the gas is tectonically locked to reside beneath the soil of our state. It aint goin anywhere and thye drillers aint gonna take their marbles and leave. They need to man up and take responsibility. We had another house well catch fire this week as gas fracs propogated a pathway that led leaking natural gas to enter a house well and it blew up when the submersible pump kicked on.
spendius

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2011 09:24 am
@farmerman,
I don't think you understand politics fm judging from that. The "citizenry" votes for what it gets. "It's the economy stupid", tells you everything you need to know. It got elected.

We can all be idealistic at times. It sounds good but nobody who matters gives a damn about it. The city dweller hardly knows what a stream is. S/he wants 5% growth and that won't come from foam from the mouth.

You're aiming at the wrong target because, like on the evolution threads, it's a sitting duck. And you can't even shoot that.

We had a slag heap left by an irresponsible mining industry slide over a school full of kids and kill most of them. But what was the alternative except more expensive coal. There are idle rich, some nobles, right now, living off the legacies of that mining industry. You see photographs of some of them from time to time in the glossy magazines showing themselves off. Being role models for a gawping envy that beggars belief.

We can all regulate these things if we forget about the economic effects including military capability. But nobody would vote for us. So we can all regulate, it's easy, but we may not. We might have to look to people who don't get elected and thus don't have to make promises to dangle temptingly under voter's noses. We all know what direction that will go in in the great auction for power. We are the Jezebel for whose favours the weak-of-mind compete. Fancy wanting to be President. I ask you! Those rousing speeches are howlings at the moon. And you're all at it ever since they ran that bullshit through your heads about anybody can make it into the White House in the US of A. So the competition is fierce. And there is a pyramid of lesser White Houses of large proportions. Head Honch at the NCSE for example.

It's no good thinking that the Popes and Monarchs and Ceasars of today are anything remotely like those who went before them. It's a straw man to imply a comparison. Now they know that not sharing the increasing wealth out reasonably fairly just doesn't work. And I think they are more squeamish than their predecessors. And they not only don't need to dangle temptations but they often purse their mouth with distaste at the mention of them.

And it is the logic of your thinking that we need a disinterested regulator and your vote milker can never be any such thing. And Monarchs are okay apart from every third one being nuts and Ceasars are upcoming Monarchs getting the hang of nepotism. Which leaves Popes. And you **** all over the Pope at every chance you get and probably seek out chances to increase the flow.

It's lifestyle, and with your boat and your restaurants and your dude ranch and your wardrobe and your 40 mile round trips for a pizza and your DIY activities such as nipping up to town for a tube of superglue to stick your authentic currach together with and all the rest, you are a fine one to be lecturing us about the **** coming down. " Let the banks of the streams sizzle and fizz" should be your rallying cry. Or do as I say and not as I do.

Isn't having a submersible pump which automatically kicks on under electronic control a benefit of the process. One assumes the land where a device like that is needed is cheap. Having a submersible pump implies approval. An extractor fan to keep the concentration of gas down to safe levels should solve the problem of well fires. You can't hold up 5% growth because some bozo hadn't had one of them fitted in his well.

farmerman

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 07:17 am
@spendius,
It must really be sad being you.
spendius

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 08:19 am
@farmerman,
It must really be sad being you.

It must be even sadder to have to listen to your hypocritical and pompous posturings.

Somebody with your lifestyle whining about the PH of streams is a sick joke. The condition of the streams is a function of your lifestyle. It is not a causeless cause visited upon you by an outside agency or by accident. At your level of consumption you are a main cause of the acidic streams and much else besides.

Fancy imagining that oversight of these things can be handed to people who have no conflicts of interest when such people don't exist who are in a position to be given the oversight.

The fact that that is the only answer you have to my post, an infant school playground answer, speaks volumes and not least of your stupidity and narcissistic arrogance in imagining that a reply in kind won't be returned. As if getting the remark in first gives it credibility. First blurter wins eh?

It is you who needs to "man up and take responsibility" for the obvious fact that you have contributed more than most to the lifeless streams and are not averse to bragging about it when your ego needs a boost.

farmerman

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 10:13 am
@spendius,
actually its all I can say about your poor pathetic life that has nothing better than to focus on my life. Why not go outside and see things rather than merely imagine how they are.

May your life take more interesting turns.
spendius

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 10:31 am
@farmerman,
Never mind that bullshit. Is somebody with your lifestyle whining about lifeless streams a sick joke or not?

After all, you were only a young man when Dylan told you all that the pellets of poison were flooding your waters. You put that on Ignore as well on the excuse that Dylan was a bum or something.

Bombast and bluster does answer the question in a way. You should keep quiet about the matter. Pretending you're a concerned greenie after a life of being one of the world's top consumers, top 1% at a guess, is a giggling matter.

spendius

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 10:40 am
@spendius,
Get bloody drilling and give the youngsters a shot at the American Dream. Is some skinflint who took a chance on a cheapo well on cheapo land going to stand in the way of that?

From what I've heard you fuckers haven't paid up for Bhopal yet.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 10:45 am
@farmerman,
I'm reading along, fm. Interesting topic.
farmerman

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 06:48 pm
@edgarblythe,
I see these pewriodic "ignored" lines. I assume it must be some idiot who is trying to get me to respond to their idiocy.

WELL, Heres the News from Lake Wallanpaupack:

On March 15 , Denny Borawski, PA's chief oil and gas field geologist, opened his big yap and compared the documentary, "GASLAND" to Nazi propoganda , specifically the anti-Jewish films commissioned by Joseph Geobbels.
Josh Fox, the producer and documentary creator of "Gasland" stated in a public announcement that "Borawski should "Be fired for his unashamed insensitivity". Fox's father was a Holocaust survivor so hes not going to be charitable and accept Borawski's apology.

The governor said hes'Evaluating his options wrt Borawski's future in the Department of NAtural Resources.
I kinda feel that BOrawski, will be fired for choosing the least proper words in his criticism of GAsland.

Ive seen GAsland and I feel that its agenda driven . Admittedly , the environmental problems with gas drilling in PA alone have been "Underreported" , because many of the environmental hazards that Fox related in the movie are true. However, these are issues of engineering and more careful oversight. The real problem is that the state of PA, fully backing the gas drilling carpetbaggers, are letting them get away with it without any significant fines . Fines to date have been piling up but are nothing more than a slap on the wrist.
I say , lets oversight this industry to death so that we dont create another horror like the consitions of many PA streams that flow through the coal measures. The GAS under our state, isnt going anywhere, so why open our doors to irresponsible drilling . I like what they propose in Texas (where one of the country"s highest extraction fees are levied). In Texas, they have the ability to rescind leases and renegotiate them with other exploration consortia.(I like this because it would create business opps for responsible "start up" drillers and gas geology service companies.

Our new Governor , "Cluel;ess" Tom Corbett) has opened the state game lands for FREE to all drillers .

LEases dont collect any fees except from private landowners. No state lands will require fees

Pa will not levy an extraction fee (or taxd) to pay the state for depleting its gas resource. (Clueless Tom says that the drillers are paying a CNI tax,(this is total bullshit because they wont pay any Corp "Net" Income tx EVER) I know how this racket works and its all expensed and the production is usually gotten away with because gas would be pumped as "Researching production techniques"

Personally, I hope that Borawski gets fired for his insensitive comments and, at the same time, I hope this event starts drawing attention to the need for better regulation and fee structures. Clueless Tom cant start off his legacy by allowing the wholesale ******* up of my state for free Course, this is only MHO
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 04:29 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
I'm reading along, fm. Interesting topic.

Yeah--it's always interesting when a big-time polluter gets up on his hind legs spouting about the environment in order to demonstrate his compassionate and caring and concerned nature. I presume it involves brain disconnect.

When it is resting on some hillbilly's well catching fire out in the boonies it's even funnier. Think of the importance of such an incident compared with the energy production units in Japan.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 05:09 am
Quote:
Admittedly , the environmental problems with gas drilling in PA alone have been "Underreported" , because many of the environmental hazards that Fox related in the movie are true. However, these are issues of engineering and more careful oversight.

exactly (let me repeat) EXACTLY what happened with Deep Water Horizon
farmerman

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 05:16 am
@dadpad,
Industries all need to be watched like a hawk.
I am in favor of exploiting this resource, but it must be done responsibly and with all concern for environment and public health.
We can do waaay better.
dadpad

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 05:33 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
I am in favor of exploiting this resource, but it must be done responsibly and with all concern for environment and public health.

Hang on i need to dump some seawater on this neuclear reactor then i can reply to you.

If the truth be told small and medium business get away with far more than large companies but the damage is so small it doesnt register. If the damage was added up however....

Hopefully your legislators will be able to slap a land tax mining tax royalty payment on in a few years.
farmerman

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 05:39 am
@dadpad,
at least before the gas is all taken.

Ill fill the water bags and you dump on the core.
The large companies, sfter theyve been caught for several events, usually incorporate environment and health and safety into their corporate culture. Although Ive seen some really screwy associations, (eg one big US company that made pharma products had its environmental staff all report to the same guys who were in charge of production engineering)
farmerman

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 08:55 am
@farmerman,
The governor of PA, securely in the pocket of the gas and oil industry, is still insisting that an extraction tax should not be levied on all the drilling and gas exploration THAT IS GOING ON IN STATE OWNED LANDS. Its getting serious becuae over 70% of the population of PA is loudly insupport of the tax in oder to help with the deficit.
EVen Gov Corbetts supporters (including the teabaggers) have begun rumblings that perhaps an extraction tax would be warranted.

DUH, yah Think?
farmerman

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 02:30 pm
@farmerman,
Several drilling companies have been issued cease and desist orders by the DEP. It appears that theyve been disregarding their own environmental assurance plans and have been deliberately discharging contaminated saline water into the clean trout streams. This is the openisng week of trout season and apparently the Fish and Boat Commission has spent time stocking streams only to have fish just float belly up from the shock of the saline.

I think that this will start a big ROW with the governors pffice because he gave orders that ALL enforcement actions had to go through his office. I dont think the DEP is taking the governor seriously and they dont even truast his agenda.
We could see some constitutional issues here."Is the governor to be obeyed even if what he asks is illegal"?
spendius

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 04:53 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
."Is the governor to be obeyed even if what he asks is illegal"?

That depends on what getting elected in a free vote is worth.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 08:51 am
An Allentown Morning Call poll has recently been released regarding the popularity that an extraction tax would have among residents of PA. The poll stated that 78% of the population is in favor, 12% against and 10 % think that natural gas has something to do with bean burritos.
spendius

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 09:02 am
@farmerman,
One might be forgiven for assuming that the 78% think the tax is money in their pockets and that the 12% think it is money out of their's.

As neither know what they are talking about it follows that the 10% are the only sane people who responded to the "poll".
farmerman

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 11:54 am
@spendius,
Id really like to get some responses from folks who DONT have their heads up their asses. SO pardon me if I dont grace you with anythiong but goodbye.
0 Replies