Supreme Court Awards Habeas Corpus To Guantanamo Detainees

dyslexia

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 01:32 pm
okie wrote:
I may not favor either one, dys. I will favor what I think is correct.
So you're not the strict constitutionalist you often portray yourself as as you will favor what YOU think is correct over what the Supreme Court upholds as Constitutionally correct? gets more interesting all the time.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 01:38 pm
dys, I think it is interesting I have to walk you through the common sense basics of such a basic subject.

I don't always agree with a Supreme Court ruling in regard to a law, got that? Does that make me not a strict constitutionalist, no, got that? Can you grasp the concept?

And does that mean I would disregard their ruling even when I disagree with it, no, got that?

And if you can find anyone that agrees with every Supreme Court ruling, let me know. Not even the justices agree, they are all so-called experts, and they split their vote almost always.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 01:53 pm
okie wrote:
Does that make me not a strict constitutionalist, no, got that?

No, I don't got that.
okie wrote:
if violating the Supreme Court was necessary, I would violate it to save the country.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 02:22 pm
Thats a doomsday scenario, dys. What would you do, let everyone die?

My entire quote was:
"I could envision a doomsday scenario however in which if I was president and imminent destruction was about to take place, and if violating the Supreme Court was necessary, I would violate it to save the country."

The fact that you left out part of the statement to get what you wanted out of it shows a dishonesty, dys. Any apology, or is that beneath you?
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 02:57 pm
okie wrote:
Advocate wrote:
okie wrote:
Just a dumb question, if prisoners captured on the battlefield deserve the rights in a civilian court, how come are we trying to find and kill Osama Bin Laden? Since when can we try to kill suspects without arresting them and giving them a fair trial?

This may be a valid question. It would be great if we could capture and try him.

Keep in mind that, in a number of tapes and recordings, Osama has admitted his guilt relative to 9/11.

This may be a valid question.....? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Yes, among lots of valid questions basic to this fiasco. Is it up to okie to ask them, or is the court that out of touch? Unfortunately, they must be.

I'm glad you agree that the matter should now go to the courts, where, perhaps, your question will be posed. That is what habeas corpus is all about.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 05:29 am
joefromchicago wrote:
oralloy wrote:
It looked to me like they found fault with the process for appealing the CSRTs, not the CSRTs themselves.

That's an integral part of the package. In Hamdi, the SCOTUS said "give the detainees habeas or something that is the equivalent of habeas." Congress responded with the CSRTs and a limited right of appeal to the DC circuit court. In Boumediene, the supreme court said "not good enough."

But the Supreme Court did not find the CSRTs themselves to be the problem with the old system -- and the CSRTs remain as an integral part of the new system that their ruling just created.

If the habeas proceedings find that the CSRTs got it wrong and there is no cause to believe someone was an enemy fighter, they will of course order the government to release (or charge) the person in question. Not sure what they will do if we can't deport them somewhere though.

But I think it's probable that the habeas proceedings will merely confirm that a lot of the CSRTs got it right.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 05:32 am
Advocate wrote:
McCain and Lindsay Graham will try to subvert the decision by creating a new National Court.

That is not an attempt to subvert anything. The "National Security Court" if they created it would comply with the recent ruling.

Probably won't pass unless McCain wins the election though.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 05:37 am
okie wrote:
Another thought, cyclops, which the Supreme Court apparently did not think of, the very fact that we are rounding up civilian criminals, not enemies on the battlefield under the rules of war, it invalidates the presidents orders to send the military to Afghanistan to round up Al Qaida. After all, these are not enemies on a battlefield under the rules of war, they are criminals, common criminals, cyclops.

I don't think you understand the ruling.

The Supreme Court says it is OK to detain captured enemy fighters until the end of the war.

These habeas proceedings will be for the detainees to appeal their designation as an "enemy fighter" and claim they were just an innocent civilian who never took up arms.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 07:12 am
oralloy wrote:
But I think it's probable that the habeas proceedings will merely confirm that a lot of the CSRTs got it right.

I don't anticipate that there will be very many habeas proceedings -- quite possibly none at all.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 07:18 am
Why not? I remember reading about quite a few instances were people ended up in Guantanamo Bay because they were caught at the wrong time in the wrong place. Granted, these particular people were released after a couple of years. But why wouldn't there be more, and why wouldn't they challenge the legality of their detention, and appeal if they lose in the first instance?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 07:32 am
Thomas wrote:
Why not? I remember reading about quite a few instances were people ended up in Guantanamo Bay because they were caught at the wrong time in the wrong place. Granted, these particular people were released after a couple of years. But why wouldn't there be more, and why wouldn't they challenge the legality of their detention, and appeal if they lose in the first instance?

Because the Bush administration would rather release a detainee than have a habeas proceeding reveal any torture or other improper procedures by the government. It's not that habeas proceedings aren't necessary, it's that the government won't let it get that far (of course, what I expect is that the current administration will drag out the proceedings until Jan. 2009, at which time it will be somebody else's problem).
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 08:36 am
oralloy wrote:
okie wrote:
Another thought, cyclops, which the Supreme Court apparently did not think of, the very fact that we are rounding up civilian criminals, not enemies on the battlefield under the rules of war, it invalidates the presidents orders to send the military to Afghanistan to round up Al Qaida. After all, these are not enemies on a battlefield under the rules of war, they are criminals, common criminals, cyclops.

The Supreme Court says it is OK to detain captured enemy fighters until the end of the war.

These habeas proceedings will be for the detainees to appeal their designation as an "enemy fighter" and claim they were just an innocent civilian who never took up arms.

Since war was never declared, how would this nonwar be declared ended?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 09:14 am
Advocate wrote:
oralloy wrote:
okie wrote:

Since war was never declared, how would this nonwar be declared ended?

The war will end when the Taliban and al-Qa'ida have been destroyed.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 09:29 am
I guess that means that we will be at war forever.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 09:29 am
oralloy wrote:
okie wrote:

I will admit I don't understand the details, but in terms of a general understanding I interpret the ruling as opening the door a crack, actually much more than a crack, and so we are now debating over how wide the door should be open, not whether the door should be open or closed. Such a ruling paves the way for precedent to opening the door all the way. I think it is insanity, and I think the 4 justices voting in minority were absolutely correct.

And what is to prevent any or all of the detainees to argue they are innocent civilians, in fact aren't all of them defined as civilians?

I think the justices voting for this are fairly clueless in terms of the mess they have now created. The chickens will come home to roost. I hope it doesn't involve too much blood before it is corrected.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 10:22 am
okie wrote:
what is to prevent any or all of the detainees to argue they are innocent civilians,

Nothing. But I doubt their arguments will go very far if they have nothing to back them up.

okie wrote:
in fact aren't all of them defined as civilians?

No. They are defined as captured enemy soldiers.

okie wrote:
I think the justices voting for this are fairly clueless in terms of the mess they have now created. The chickens will come home to roost. I hope it doesn't involve too much blood before it is corrected.

I don't see any mess. The courts will just review the results of the CSRTs to see if any mistakes were made, and will then correct any errors they find.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 10:24 am
Advocate wrote:
I guess that means that we will be at war forever.

Nah -- just until we destroy the enemy.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 11:10 am
okie wrote:
I will admit I don't understand the details, but ... I think the 4 justices voting in minority were absolutely correct.

Well, I'm convinced.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 11:50 am
oralloy wrote:
okie wrote:
what is to prevent any or all of the detainees to argue they are innocent civilians,

Nothing. But I doubt their arguments will go very far if they have nothing to back them up.

Good luck.

Quote:
okie wrote:

Then why this insane decision?

Quote:
okie wrote:

I don't see any mess. The courts will just review the results of the CSRTs to see if any mistakes were made, and will then correct any errors they find.

You don't see a mess. Open your eyes and wait as this plays out.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 12:28 pm
okie wrote:
oralloy wrote:
okie wrote:

Then why this insane decision?

To give them a chance to prove that they were not enemy soldiers, but are instead civilians.

I don't see how it is insane. If they aren't civilians, I don't think they'll have much chance of convincing anyone that the CSRTs got it wrong.
0 Replies