Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 09:13 am
<bookmark for now, couldn't read the opinions yet.>
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 02:54 pm
Setanta wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
It is one of the prime tenets of our country, that people are considered innocent until proven guilty, and not the other way around.

I imagine this will step up efforts to get the military tribunals going so they can be proven guilty.

The tone of this post suggests that all of the detainees will be found guilty because they are guilty.

Of course, none of our boys would ever have made a mistake about any of this. Naturally, the bounties which were paid to dirt-poor Afghans in the tribal areas of Waziristan would never have lead them to turn someone in for reasons of petty revenge or simple greed.

They're all guilty, we know this. If you don't believe me, just ask Oralloy.

From what I hear, about a third are war criminals, about a third are POWs to be held for the duration of the war on terror, and about a third are innocent civilians whose home countries are refusing to take them back.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 03:54 pm
Quote:
Supreme Court Awards Habeas Corpus To Guantanamo Detainees

It appears this new ruling may have been perceived as a sign of weakness by the detainees in Kandahar.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 04:01 pm
Well, there's still some time to teach them the essentials about a constitution, laws, democracy ...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 04:29 pm
Give them Ay-rab bastids a fair trial, then line the sumbitches up and shoot 'em . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 04:34 pm
oralloy wrote:
From what I hear, . . .

Uh-huh . . . and if Oralloy says it, it must be so.

Quote:
. . . about a third are war criminals, . . .

In your never-fails opinion, of course.

Quote:
. . . about a third are POWs to be held for the duration of the war on terror, . . .

For the duration, huh? And how are we to know when "Terror" surrenders? When will we know we have conquered "Terror?" You have viewpoints very convenient to the arguments of a government which habitually puts itself above the law.

Hey, i know ! ! ! Let's ask the Israelis--everyone knows there isn't a more fair-minded and compassionate bunch when it comes to dealing with Muslims.

Quote:
. . . and about a third are innocent civilians whose home countries are refusing to take them back.

And your evidence for all of this is?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 04:38 pm
H2O_MAN wrote:
Quote:
Supreme Court Awards Habeas Corpus To Guantanamo Detainees

It appears this new ruling may have been perceived as a sign of weakness by the detainees in Kandahar.

Riiiight.

You know, the Taliban were really planning this biggest ambush on coalition forces for weeks. The attack on the Kandahar prison, the ambush on US troops, small arms and rocket-propelled grenades, everything was ready.

Then, the 100 militants gathered 'round and waited for the Supreme Court decision - willing to pack up and go home in case it would turn out that Guantanamo was constitutional........
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 05:04 pm
old europe wrote:

You know, the Taliban were really planning this biggest ambush on coalition forces for weeks.
The attack on the Kandahar prison, the ambush on US troops, small arms and rocket-propelled grenades, everything was ready.

Riiiight Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 05:05 pm
H2O_MAN wrote:
Riiiight Rolling Eyes

Exactly, waterguy.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 05:05 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Well, there's still some time to teach them the essentials about a constitution, laws, democracy ...

You can say that again.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 05:42 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
It is one of the prime tenets of our country, that people are considered innocent until proven guilty, and not the other way around.

Cycloptichorn

So will you say that neither Bush or any other repub in power at the start of the Iraq war or now is guilty of any type of war crime?
After all, many on the left are saying that Bush is guilty.

Are you going to stand with me and say that they are guilty of nothing at all?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 05:44 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

So will you say that neither Bush or any other repub in power at the start of the Iraq war or now is guilty of any type of war crime?

No. They're just presumed innocent until proven guilty.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 05:46 pm
old europe wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Nope, according to Cyclo they ARE innocent.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 05:47 pm
mysteryman wrote:
old europe wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Question

Where did Cyc ever say that?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 05:52 pm
old europe wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
old europe wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Question

I just quoted him, but if you want the exact post that fine also...

Quote:
Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:22 Post: 3273773
Yes, it protects those who are accused of terrorism, just as it protects those accused of any crime. It is one of the prime tenets of our country, that people are considered innocent until proven guilty, and not the other way around.

So until Bush is PROVEN to have committed a crime, then he must be considered innocent.

So, are you going to stand and proclaim his innocence, or are you going to ignore Cyclo's interpretation of the law and his pronouncement that Bush must be considered innocent?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 06:02 pm
My first impression, after very diagonal reading of the opinions:

1) I don't have much patience with Roberts's dissent, arguing that the military tribunals at Guantanamo Bay are an adequate substitute for federal courts as a processor of habeas corpus petitions. These commissions are kangaroo courts, and Roberts is disingenuous in pretending otherwise.

2) I do take Scalia's dissent serious though. He argues that prisoners of war never enjoyed habeas corpus privileges, so the plaintiffs never had a privilege for Congress to suspend in the first place. It may well be one of those opinions whose consequences I don't like as a point of human rights policy, but should have carried the day as a point of constitutional law.

3) There is no doubt that the Court's opinion is the one I want politically and morally. And Kennedy spends a lot of time arguing against Scalia's objections that habeas rights for prisoners of war do not extend the reach of the writ beyond its historically established boundaries. I'll have to examine the opinion more closely, and I hope Kennedy's historical arguments turn out to be sound.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 06:06 pm
Thomas wrote:

1) I don't have much patience with Robert's dissent, arguing that the military tribunals at Guantanamo Bay are an adequate substitute for federal courts as a processor of habeas corpus petitions. These commissions are kangaroo courts, and Roberts is disingenuous in pretending otherwise.

2) I do take Scalia's dissent serious though. He argues that prisoners of war never enjoyed habeas corpus privileges, so the plaintiffs never had a privilege for Congress to suspend in the first place. It may well be one of those opinions whose consequences I don't like as a point of human rights policy, but should have carried the day as a point of constitutional law.

3) There is no doubt that the Court's opinion is the one I want politically and morally. And Kennedy spends a lot of time arguing against Scalia's objections that habeas rights for prisoners of war do not extend the reach of the writ beyond its historically established boundaries. I'll have to examine the opinion more closely, and I hope Kennedy's historical arguments turn out to be sound.

Scalia is correct.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 06:16 pm
mysteryman wrote:
old europe wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
old europe wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Question

I just quoted him, but if you want the exact post that fine also...

Quote:
Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:22 Post: 3273773
Yes, it protects those who are accused of terrorism, just as it protects those accused of any crime. It is one of the prime tenets of our country, that people are considered innocent until proven guilty, and not the other way around.

Mhm?

So where did Cyclo say that "they ARE innocent"?

(You're not just playing silly games, are you?)
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 07:32 pm
Setanta wrote:
oralloy wrote:
From what I hear, . . .

Uh-huh . . . and if Oralloy says it, it must be so.

oralloy wrote:
. . . about a third are war criminals, . . .

In your never-fails opinion, of course.

More like in the government's opinion. They are the ones who plan to charge about a third of them with war crimes.

Setanta wrote:
oralloy wrote:
. . . about a third are POWs to be held for the duration of the war on terror, . . .

For the duration, huh? And how are we to know when "Terror" surrenders? When will we know we have conquered "Terror?" You have viewpoints very convenient to the arguments of a government which habitually puts itself above the law.

Hey, i know ! ! ! Let's ask the Israelis--everyone knows there isn't a more fair-minded and compassionate bunch when it comes to dealing with Muslims.

The war on terror will be over when al-Qa'ida and the Taliban have been annihilated.

The Israelis do know how to fight extremist Islamic militants. We should listen to them more often.

Setanta wrote:
oralloy wrote:
. . . and about a third are innocent civilians whose home countries are refusing to take them back.

And your evidence for all of this is?

Quote:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=91461526

"Also, the government has said roughly one-third of the detainees are not dangerous and have been approved for release to their home countries, but those countries don't want them, nor does any other country seem to want these people whom the U.S. once characterized as the worst of the worst."
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 07:34 pm
Thomas wrote:

1) I don't have much patience with Roberts's dissent, arguing that the military tribunals at Guantanamo Bay are an adequate substitute for federal courts as a processor of habeas corpus petitions. These commissions are kangaroo courts, and Roberts is disingenuous in pretending otherwise.

What is the basis for accusing these tribunals of being kangaroo courts?

Is the law unsound that the tribunals are based on?

If not, is there any evidence of them deviating from that law?

Thomas wrote:

I expect the courts will consider "this guy is a POW" to be a valid reason for detention during habeas proceedings.

In that case, the courts will just have to determine whether the guy really was an enemy fighter.
0 Replies