George Bush's Legacy

kickycan

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 04:36 pm
cjhsa wrote:
I saw a pic of KKK the other day. He was in NYC with Frank Apisa and Joe Nation. He looked like a typical NY joker - "I got yuh stoo-pid right heah".

Oh come on, you know you love me.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 03:00 pm
Back to the title of this thread.

What is the origin of simulacra like the current President of the United States? When I argue that Bush is not "real," I do not mean that he was manufactured in a secret factory, owned by a corporation like the Karp Cartel and controlled by a powerful conspiracy. But I will speculate that in a post-literate, hyperreal world, those accretions of historical time and psychological reflection that produce subjectivity tend to disperse before they constitute a deep, coherent self. The result can be a personality like that of Bush -- intellectually narrow, emotionally shallow, working with an abridged vocabulary, like a novice in a foreign language class. He is a commodity produced by contemporary American culture, with its bizarre admixture of consumerism, television, worship of celebrities, and glib Christian fundamentalism. Other cultures in other periods have produced personalities limited in different ways -- the provincial peasant, for example, who has never been more than a mile from his birthplace. Unlike the peasant, the contemporary flat personality knows that other countries, other cultures, other religions exist -- but in his solipsism they remain "unreal" to him, mere delusions to which other people, themselves mere figments, display an irrational attachment

When Bush stammers publicly about freedom, democracy, and the axis of evil, American media commentators gloss his remarks positively. Reporters and pundits chronically overestimate Bush in much the way Chance's admirers do, discoursing about him as if he actually possessed a political philosophy and an understanding of government policies. They overlook, understate, or make excuses for his slipshod syntax, reliance on clichés, and inability to answer either theoretical or factual questions. They inevitably refer to him as if he were a "real" person with a complex sensibility, rather than a simulacrum entirely composed of sound bites and photo opportunities.

After the press conference of April 13, 2004, for example, one television reporter acknowledged that Bush had spoken "clumsily" at times, but speculated that the president's plain speech is part of his appeal, that he uses the idioms of ordinary Americans. Other commentators approved his evident "conviction" about the war in Iraq -- referring to moments when Bush uttered the clichés about freedom with apparent vehemence. On the April 13th, 2004, edition of Hardball, Chris Matthews expressed his admiration for Bush's refusal to acknowledge any responsibility or any mistakes -- a bizarre encomium, considering the long and embarrassing moments when Bush slouched down the side of the podium, grinning and stammering, unable to think of any response, as if a computer virus had infected his personal software.

On the following day, the New York Times lead editorial characterized the president's performance as follows: "Mr. Bush was grave and impressive while reading his opening remarks, but his responses to questions were distressingly rambling and unfocused."[7] The use of "impressive" seems precisely calibrated to ward off the blow of "distressingly." None of the commentators mentioned the ingratiating smile that constantly played about the President's lips, a nervous and inappropriate aspect of his demeanor, particularly considering the serious content of the reporters' questions. No one referred to the software glitch, and it was not shown again, let alone played repeatedly -- unlike other moments televised in 2004, such as Howard Dean's "scream" and Janet Jackson's bared breast. After observing how media pundits shed the best possible light on Bush, one has to wonder: are journalists and pundit colluding in his legitimization, or are they, like Chance's many admirers, actually taken in?

http://www.ctheory.net/articles.aspx?id=427
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 03:03 pm
Quote:
After observing how media pundits shed the best possible light on Bush...

Has this ever happened?
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 03:08 pm
Some of the participants wish to refurbish my English and they are not christians nor critical.
I expose my ignorance by my cut and paste English.
I am not BUSH but RamaFuchs
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 07:54 pm
Richard Nixon Resigns as US President (1974)
Faced with widespread evidence of political espionage and other illegal activities on the part of his administration, President Nixon resigned in order to avoid facing impeachment. Nixon's successor, Gerald Ford, immediately issued him a pardon for any crimes he may have committed as president. In addition to the governmental upheaval that resulted from the Watergate Affair, the scandal provoked widespread loss of confidence in public officials. .

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Watergate%20scandal
Bush and his co-patriots and the dumb driven flag-waving mob had improved the legacy.???
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 03:34 pm
The Bush Administration has fined only 6 percent of the companies that had been violating federal wage laws, according to its own Labor Department. The rest got off.
This is not to say that Bush's human rights abuses are equal to China's.

But it is to say that he has left an indelible black mark on our own reputation.

He has disgraced the values we're supposed to hold dear, and he's given an invitation to other countries to trample all over human rights with impunity.

That's what China has done.

And Bush is in no position to scold them about it.

http://www.progressive.org/mag/wx080708.html
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 08:34 pm
http://static.crooksandliars.com/2008/08/greenberg21.jpg
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 08:39 pm
Aw, c'mon edgar - Clinton rode the coattails of a trend started by Reagan, and Bush was saddled by a weak economy that was set up by Clinton...

Dontcha know anything!?!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 08:40 pm
Some people just never "get it." LOL
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 11:00 pm
snood wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
http://static.crooksandliars.com/2008/08/greenberg21.jpg

Aw, c'mon edgar - Clinton rode the coattails of a trend started by Reagan, and Bush was saddled by a weak economy that was set up by Clinton...

Dontcha know anything!?!

According to the US Constitution, it is Congress especially the House of Representatives that has the power of the purse.

Reagan and Bush sr had largely Democratic congresses to work with, although the Republicans had the Senate for a short time.

Clinton did not have a balanced budget , even though Democrats owned both houses of Congress as well as the Presidency in 1993-94[/u][/i] until the Republicans took Congress two years into his first term, and then he tried not to sign it.

Bush jr has had a Republican congress, but has also had military expenditures in fighting the war on terror while at the same time building back up the military that Clinton spent down.

As CIC, Clinton did not order replacements for many of the things used up during his years in office. When 9/11 occurred the US military was not in the state of readiness that it should have been. Clinton, eager to spend a 'peace dividend' squandered the military advantage he inherited from Reagan and Bush sr.

So, Bush jrs military expenditures have definitely been the cause of tremendous amounts of necessary spending.

And you are somewhat correct (although I know you thought you were being sarcastic) about the state of the economy that GWB inherited from Clinton.

The final 12 months of Clintons term (Jan 00-Jan 01) were marked by a devastating drop in the tech heavy NASDAQ, which had been one of the primary engines for growth in the 90s.

The NASDAQ dropped from over 5000 to 2500 in just one year. Half of the value of these companies was wiped out. Gone.

The Clinton decision to sue Microsoft triggered a meltdown in the high tech sector of the economy, leaving Bush jr to inherit a much weakened economic picture. And in many ways we are still dealing with the aftermath of that.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 01:23 am
R L
BS.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 01:58 am
In many respects a POTUS historical assessment is defined by their successor. I certainly hope that the 2008 electee is successful for all of our sakes; consequently optimism dictates that GWB's assessment as POTUS will not suffer this dictum and his historical rating will be poor.

Consequently and unfortunately, in many respects, my prediction for George Bush's legacy will be to raise Clinton's assessment as POTUS.

Rap
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 06:07 am
Bush is shining in Beijing. A true sportsman.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 06:58 am
cjhsa wrote:

While Georgia burns Bush watches swimming. What a great leader he is.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 07:00 am
You're kidding me right Parados?

All he can do is condemn the act, and he did that. What do YOU want him to do?

Even the AP wrote a glowing article about Bush's trip.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/world/AP-Bush-Olympics.html

I bet your wife wants to kick your negative ass.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 07:11 am
rabel22 wrote:
R L
BS.

Well said, but an understatement.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 07:13 am
real life wrote:

According to the US Constitution, it is Congress especially the House of Representatives that has the power of the purse.

Reagan and Bush sr had largely Democratic congresses to work with, although the Republicans had the Senate for a short time.

Clinton did not have a balanced budget , even though Democrats owned both houses of Congress as well as the Presidency in 1993-94[/u][/i] until the Republicans took Congress two years into his first term, and then he tried not to sign it.
OK, you have established that Congress is solely responsible for spending.
Quote:

Bush jr has had a Republican congress, but has also had military expenditures in fighting the war on terror while at the same time building back up the military that Clinton spent down.
Didn't you just say that Congress controls the purse strings? Now you are blaming a President for not spending enough? Can't you at least keep your argument straight for one post?
Quote:

As CIC, Clinton did not order replacements for many of the things used up during his years in office. When 9/11 occurred the US military was not in the state of readiness that it should have been. Clinton, eager to spend a 'peace dividend' squandered the military advantage he inherited from Reagan and Bush sr.
You said Congress controls the purse strings. You can't blame Clinton for what the Republican congress did unless you want to change your earlier statement.
Quote:

So, Bush jrs military expenditures have definitely been the cause of tremendous amounts of necessary spending.
Congress controls the purse strings. (According to real life.)
Quote:

And you are somewhat correct (although I know you thought you were being sarcastic) about the state of the economy that GWB inherited from Clinton.

The final 12 months of Clintons term (Jan 00-Jan 01) were marked by a devastating drop in the tech heavy NASDAQ, which had been one of the primary engines for growth in the 90s.
In case you didn't notice the last couple of years have been marked by a devastating 20% drop on the DOW and NASDAQ caused by the devastating crisis in the home mortgage sector which had been the primary engine of growth in the 00s. If Clinton is responsible then Bush is also responsible for the present economy. Investors bought mortgage backed securities they had no idea about.

Quote:

The NASDAQ dropped from over 5000 to 2500 in just one year. Half of the value of these companies was wiped out. Gone.
Nope. Half of the value of the NASDAQ was wiped out. Some of the companies were completely wiped out and some dropped 20%. Investors bought stocks they had no idea about.
Quote:

The Clinton decision to sue Microsoft triggered a meltdown in the high tech sector of the economy,
In case you missed it, the decision to sue Microsoft was initiated under the first Bush. Microsoft failed to live up to the consent decree they signed. Anyone that blames Clinton is attempting to rewrite history.
Quote:
leaving Bush jr to inherit a much weakened economic picture. And in many ways we are still dealing with the aftermath of that.
You are a complete fool and believe anything. You prove it on a daily basis.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 07:14 am
cjhsa wrote:

Even the AP wrote a glowing article about Bush's trip.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/world/AP-Bush-Olympics.html

I bet your wife wants to kick your negative ass.

The country is in deep economic doo doo, and Bush should be in Washington working on ways to pull it out. However, he has been a lazy lout all his life, so what can we expect.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 07:15 am
cjhsa wrote:

The European Union has sent French Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner (due to the French Presidency over the European Council) and the Chairman-in-Office of the OSCE, Finnish Foreign Minister Alexander Stubb to Tbilisi. They have been working on a proposal to defuse the situation, and have meanwhile announced a four step plan to achieve that goal. Today, Kouchner and Stubb will travel to Moscow to explain that proposal to the Russian side. Joining that effort, German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier, who had been to Abkhazia and Moscow in mid-July to propose a plan for the region, has been repeatedly talking to Saakashvili and Medvedev to get both sides to talk to each other.

On the other hand, you have the American representative to the United Nations attacking the Russian diplomat, accusing Russia of seeking "regime change". The negotiations in the United Nations Security Council have essentially come to a halt.

What I'd like to see Bush to do would simply be to show some leadership, press for negotiations, become more visibly involved by sending at least a high ranking official of his administration to the region.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 07:16 am
parados wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

While Georgia burns Bush watches swimming. What a great leader he is.

cjhsa wrote:

What? You don't think Bush is a great leader?

I guess you are entitled to have that opinion. What are you? Some kind of communist?
0 Replies