A Vice Presidental candidate thread.

slkshock7

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 09:48 am
@sozobe,
That's a nice sentiment....but Palin is not running for President, Obama is.

I would agree that Obama has sufficient experience to be VP, so does Palin. I don't think either of them has sufficient experience to be President. Maybe in a few years, especially sitting as a VP.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 09:49 am
I'll also say that I see her selection as VP to be a really cynical attempt to draw disillusioned Hillary supporters.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 09:52 am
@slkshock7,
That's rule one of veephood though. Be ready to step up, immediately if need be.

I think Obama's ready. You don't. That's fine.

But if you also think Palin isn't ready, you're kind of in trouble if John McCain -- 72, with a history of health problems -- can't fulfill his duties shortly after he takes office.
slkshock7

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 09:56 am
@sozobe,
I guess I'll have to take the risk that McCain won't croak shortly after his election. Or that Palin will have sufficient experience by the time he does croak. At least that's less risk than the Democrats have accepted....i.e. take a chance on inexperience from day one.
firefly

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 09:58 am
@sozobe,
Just because she's a female does not mean she will get the support of the 18 million people, including me, who voted for Hillary Clinton. In fact, I would imagine she'd get very few of those votes simply because Sarah Palin does not share Clinton's positions on crucial issues, like abortion, she does not have the federal experience of being a US Senator, and she's relatively unknown when compared to the former First Lady. And, having a woman on the ticket as vice president, did not help Walter Mondale to become president. I think Palin's appeal--simply because she is female--is very limited in terms of adding any clout to the ticket.

Where Palin will help McCain is with the Christian right, but those are not votes which might likely go to Obama anyway.

I think Palin is a stunning choice simply in terms of the suprise factor. Hers will not be not a historic candidacy. Geraldine Ferraro got there first. But Palin is so blatantly unqualified to become the president, her lack of experience should come as a relief to the Obama camp. Experience should now be off the table as a serious issue. They cannot attack Obama on his lack of experience, when Palin's resume is even thinner. And, given McCain's age, his choice of a very inexperienced running mate may not sit well with many voters who would not want this woman a heartbeat away from the presidency. It does not say a lot about McCain's ability to make good appointments if this is the best he could do.
sozobe

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 10:00 am
@slkshock7,
Palin: Mayor of a small town for a few years. Governor of a state with less people than the District of Columbia for two years. Unknown

Obama: State Senator for 8 years. U.S. Senator for 4 years. National stage for 4 years.

Their experience is not equivalent, but... especially... how on earth is McCain going to make the argument that Obama doesn't have enough experience to be president while simultaneously saying that Palin does?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 10:01 am
I'm wondering about, being the governor of Alaska and all, maybe lots of connections with oil companies.
sozobe

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 10:01 am
@firefly,
Agreed, firefly.

And I'm happy to see an example of a Hillary supporter who isn't impressed by this. That's what I'd think, but I wasn't a Hillary supporter.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 10:02 am
@FreeDuck,
Whats wrong with that? Oil companies, you should love, and I should, they after all produce many crucial necessities for todays economy.
sozobe

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 10:03 am
@FreeDuck,
Oh yeah. Sullivan again:

Quote:
Vice-President For Oil

29 Aug 2008 11:32 am

It's quite a symbolic pick in the current climate:

Quote:
She was mayor and a council member of the small town of Wasila and was chairman of the state Oil and Gas Conservation Commission, which regulates Alaska's oil and gas resources, in 2003 and 2004... Palin has focused on energy and natural resources policy during her short stint in office, and she is known for her support of drilling in the Alaska National Wildlife Refuge, a position opposed by McCain but supported by many grass-roots Republicans. Her biography on the state governor's Web site says one of the two major pieces of legislation passed during her first legislative session was a competitive process to construct a gas pipeline.

Palin started Alaska's Petroleum Systems Integrity Office, an oversight and maintenance agency for the state's oil and gas equipment, facilities and infrastructure. She created the Climate Change Subcabinet that would forge a climate change strategy, according to the biography. Palin chairs the Interstate Oil and Gas Compact Commission, a multistate panel "that promotes the conservation and efficient recovery of domestic oil and natural gas resources while protecting health, safety and the environment," the biography says.

The one national issue where she has made a mark is drilling in ANWR.

His source:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/08/29/palin.republican.vp.candidate/index.html
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 10:07 am
@okie,
By the way, one of Obama's laundry list of points was a promise to get us off of Middle Eastern imports by 10 years from now.

That one point, if there were not any more, convinces me that Obama is totally clueless about the realities of oil. I don't think that is realistic, and perhaps not even desirable in entirety.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 10:07 am
Can you picture this? Just imagine Sarah Palin debating Joe Biden during the vice presidential debates. Taking the lamb to slaughter?

BBB
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 10:15 am
@okie,
okie, Explain yourself why Obama's plan to get us off Middle Eastern oil in 10 years is not realistic?

As for Palin, McCain just destroyed his argument that Obama is not ready to become commander in chief. McCain's health is an issue, and Palin has no foreign diplomacy experience. What happens when McCain dies and Palin gets that call at 3 AM?

0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 10:15 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Well, but people get all sympathetic towards the lamb when that happens. That's the danger.

Just saw this, another point... Obama didn't do this with Biden either, but often the VP pick is supposed to help deliver the pick's home state. Alaska has a whopping three electoral college votes.
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 10:18 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Yeah, Biden doesn't stand a chance against a popular governor and "hockey mom"
DrewDad

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 10:19 am
@okie,
okie wrote:

By the way, one of Obama's laundry list of points was a promise to get us off of Middle Eastern imports by 10 years from now.

That one point, if there were not any more, convinces me that Obama is totally clueless about the realities of oil. I don't think that is realistic, and perhaps not even desirable in entirety.

OK, explain to me why being domestically self-sufficient in energy could possibly be a bad thing.

Are you so partisan that you reject anything coming from a Democrat?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 10:19 am
@slkshock7,
You're deluding yourself. Popularity isn't a substitute for knowing what you are talking about on issues. She has a long way to ramp up in order to be at Biden's level.

The biggest contrast between the two is her pro-life stance. She's not going to attract many women with that stance. You do realize that women are much more likely to be pro-choice in America, don't you?

Cycloptichorn
rosborne979

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 10:32 am
@okie,
Quote:

I think it's very valuable to have the proper goal, even if you may not be able to meet it.

Dependence on foreign oil is the top strategic security issue facing the US right now, and it has been for years.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 10:34 am
@okie,
Actually, he said that he would set a goal of doing that, not promise to do it. Those kind of words matter, yaknow - goal is pretty different then promise.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 10:40 am
@rosborne979,
Sheesh, goals should be realistic. I might want to fly this afternoon without wings, but not realistic.

Listening to her speech, woe, this woman, Palen, is no wall flower, she is a fire ball. Where has this woman been? She has actually done something, in contrast to Hillary. Hillary was a mirage compared to this gal.

She is talking about accomplishmens, not promises! Great, go get em, Sarah.