Edema: Lie Languid or Tough It Out?

farmerman

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 06:57 pm
when you have your K under control using the "BIG WHITE HORSE PILLS" you can then slip into a 2 banana a day regimen. PM me and Ill give you a rapid K test that you can do in the privacy of your home batroom. Its fairly easy .
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 06:24 am
Right now I'm on Klor-Con--first eight pills a day, then six a day, then four a day.

I just finished a banana. Interesting that my yen for beef, salmon, lima beans, watermelon, potatoes and sardines was a craving for potassium rich food.

The potassium deficiency is probably causing my edema--and was very likely responsible for my panic attack on Saturday. It is definitely the reason for my fatigue and lassitude.

The Major Project for today is getting the cuckoo clock to the repair shop. I'm a fitful sleeper and I miss the companionship of a chirping cuckoo in the dark hours of the night.

I should be back by mid afternoon. I've constructed a three tier pyramid of pillows on my footstool with an eye to putting my feet up-up-up.

Farmerman--

Right now I'm letting my doctor prescribe. Down the road when I'm peppy enough to be the Mistress of my Fate, I'll be in touch.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 07:00 am
Hi Noddy, I'm just getting to this thread...I'm just sending you well wishes and will have you in my thoughts.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 06:46 am
Gala--

All good wishes are welcome.

Yesterday I was ruthless in my personal interests and put my feet up at three. Today the swelling in my feet, ankles and calves is much reduced. Of course the potassium supplements may have something to do with my improved well-being. Personal determination can only go so far, even with Control Freaks.

A delightful bonus for an indolent afternoon-- after weeks and weeks and weeks, Food Tasted Good. I gorged myself--to the point where I'm a bit torpid this morning. Exotic cheese. A bit of beefsteak. Watermelon. Hard boiled eggs. Half a bear claw (and the second half is waiting in the freezer).

Perhaps my resident poltergeist is going to estivate? Hope springs eternal.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 06:58 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Gala--

All good wishes are welcome.

Yesterday I was ruthless in my personal interests and put my feet up at three. Today the swelling in my feet, ankles and calves is much reduced. Of course the potassium supplements may have something to do with my improved well-being. Personal determination can only go so far, even with Control Freaks.

A delightful bonus for an indolent afternoon-- after weeks and weeks and weeks, Food Tasted Good. I gorged myself--to the point where I'm a bit torpid this morning. Exotic cheese. A bit of beefsteak. Watermelon. Hard boiled eggs. Half a bear claw (and the second half is waiting in the freezer).

Perhaps my resident poltergeist is going to estivate? Hope springs eternal.

Glad to hear of improvement!!!!!!!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 07:00 am
I don't know what "estivate" means but it sounds promising!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 07:08 am
sozobe wrote:
I don't know what "estivate" means but it sounds promising!

It's how you hibernate when you want to be able to still do stuff.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 07:54 am
Good Women hibernate in the winter and estivate in the summer and never wear white shoes before Memorial Day or after Labor Day.

Of course, Down Under may have different rules.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 08:26 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Good Women hibernate in the winter and estivate in the summer and never wear white shoes before Memorial Day or after Labor Day.

Good thing you clarified the white shoe rule-- I've seen plenty of women wearing white shoes after Labor Day.

Glad to hear you're feeling more like yourself again.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 09:32 pm
Noddy24 wrote:

No-one down here, male or female, wears white shoes, except on a tennis court! (or perhaps at gym??) (or lawn bowls) - well unless involved in some sort of sporting affray!

The "white shoe brigade" of the 80's, a bunch of of over-rich, overweight, over-confident, and over-friendly with politicians and police, males, who were involved in assorted skulduggery and corruption, gave them such a bad rep they'll never be seen again!

Thank goodness!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 05:27 am
Margo--

Thanks for the information.

OBSERVATION: Bananas, even small bananas, are very filling.

My swelling continues to dissipate--particularly on the right side for some reason. My right foot is almost comfortable in a shoe.

I had a bout with the Wamblies last night, but this morning I'm purged and purified and ready to face the day.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 06:49 am
Wishing you good health Noddy. I haven't read this entire thread, so I don't know if anybody mentioned cornsilk tea. My bi-color crop will be ready in about three months.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 10:56 am
Thanks, Alex.

I can visualize you as a pharmaceutical farmer.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 12:43 pm
Noddy, glad to hear you are feeling better.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 01:29 pm
Tai Chi--

Thanks for the good wishes. I'm going to put my feet up right now
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 01:33 pm
I'm happy to hear you are feeling better, too. I hope the meds do the trick and you are back to your old self again soon.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 03:00 pm
Noddy, I'm glad you're feeling better. Can you find a way to have your feet up and be on the computer at the same time? Very Happy
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 05:48 am
Swimpy, Mac--

Thanks for the kind wishes.

Unfortunately I'm not a Woman With Laptop and my computer setup doesn't allow for extended leg room. My arrangement of chair and stool and cushion does allow me to read slender paperbacks and massive hardbacks and all books that fall between the extremes.

Normally I indulge myself in afternoon reading only on weekends. I've been living in a Friday-mindset since Monday. This is confusing, but I'll survive.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 05:36 pm
Indulging is a good way to spend a week or so ... and there is that small mountain of books you NEED to read ...
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 08:36 am
Noddy
When my feet and ankles swell, it's often a signal that my body is low in potassium, which often leads to a heart Arrhythmia episode. I take prescription potassium every day to avoid such episodes. Potassium in food is not enough to avoid Arrhythmia. Even over-the-counter potassium may not be strong enough, but is better than nothing. I also find that the potassium eliminates painful leg cramps. I love dark chocolate. If I eat more than 3 or 4 small pieces, the dark chocolate depletes my body's potassium, resulting in severe leg cramps. You may want to ask your doctor about potassium.

BBB

More information:

Arrhythmia comes in all sorts of variations. Some types, such as atrial fibrillation (chaotic, quivering contractions), the kind Joel Levine had, may be upsetting. But since they rarely cause serious symptoms, they're not likely to kill you. Other types, such as ventricular fibrillation, are deadly.

"People with serious arrhythmia are usually under a doctor's care," says Michael A. Brodsky, M.D., associate professor of medicine at the University of California, Irvine, and director of the Cardiac Electrophysiology/Arrhythmia Service at the University of California, Irvine, Medical Center. Indeed, it's often a doctor who discovers the problem, since arrhythmia frequently has no apparent symptoms, he adds.

What makes the heart get out of sync? In serious cases, disease of the coronary arteries or heart muscle is the most likely cause, Dr. Brodsky says. But in some cases, and often in conjunction with heart disease, mineral imbalances interfere with the heart's normal nerve function.

Nutritional therapy for arrhythmia focuses on two minerals in particular: magnesium and potassium. Nerve cells make use of both to help fire off messages, and a shortage of either one can cause life-threatening problems.

Doctors have known for some time just how vital potassium is for normal heartbeat. Magnesium is an entirely different story, however. "Apparently, many doctors still don't realize how important a role this mineral can play in some heart patients," says Carla Sueta, M.D., Ph.D., assistant professor of medicine and cardiology at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Medicine. "We see patients referred by doctors from all over our state, and magnesium levels have not been routinely checked."
0 Replies