Edema: Lie Languid or Tough It Out?

Noddy24

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 07:10 am
Osso--

Thanks for the vote of compassion. I'm much calmer this morning. Of course I feel like a flaccid bungie, but then there are days when every Good Woman is entitled to feel like a flaccid bungie.

I can hold the world together for a 100 foot sphere around me and mine. The rest of the world is just going to have to cope independently during this Sabbatical.

MP--

I'm flattered to be favorably compared to a Mother-You-Chose (who was also a Mother-Who-Selected you.

EhBeth--

Thanks for all the practical help--as well as the emotional life.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 07:14 am
Calm(er) is good. I'm glad you are feeling a bit better. Don't forget to keep your feet up as much as you can.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 07:27 am
some natural diuretics include
cut oats
nettle (its a bitch to collect though)
dandelion (either as a tea or as a salad)
cranberry juice
Fennel (finnochio)
red beets

are the soles of your feet somewhat puffy? This could be more concern than is the edema were merely ankles and the meat around your calf.
Remember, sometimes various meds take weeks to flush out of your system, especially if your body has achieved a titer of the ingredient.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 11:15 am
ANNOUNCEMENT:

Freely-wiggling toes are a joy and a delight. I hope I can remember for at least six months that being able to wiggle one's toes is a positive.

JPB--

Feet are up whenever possible, but I'm also assuming that walking and wiggling are Good Therapy right now.

Farmerman--

I'm taking great comfort in the notion that if a side effect takes a week and a day to clear up the Primary Purpose of the Pill will be equally enduring.

Thank you for the list. I'm very partial to cranberry juice.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 12:08 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Dear People--

Many thanks for your concern--and your research. I posted in a bit of a dither. One of the problems of being a Caretaker as well as a Patient--you have no one under your own roof to dither to.

I found it particularly comforting that drug reaction edema isn't receptive to diuretics.

I took some measurements of my hands and lower thighs and swelling is not increasing, if anything, it is receding. I wish it would recede faster, but....

I talked to my Doctor's practice--after all, this is a Summer Saturday and was told not to worry. While only 3% to 5% of patients react to Pentasa with edema, edema is not unheard of.

My Blue Shield coverage includes access to a 24-hour Hot Line, Blues on Call. The nurse on the other end of the line assured me that I am not in a state of emergency.

Thank you all so much for the research and the sympathy.

I'm now switching my focus to worrying about Mr. Noddy and the car. Being the center of attention for a bit of time was very ego-soothing. Again, many thanks.

glad to hear this Noddy - thoughts are still with you and hope you continue to see the swelling go down...also glad you are calmer.
missy
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 02:04 pm
Mismi--

Thank you for the good wishes. I'm just about to put my feet up and wiggle my free-standing toes.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 05:05 pm
Hoping that when our Dominion Holder wakes up she will be less swelled and feeling much better. It's good to wiggle toots a? :wink: Love to you girl x
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 08:54 pm
Walking and wiggling are two of my very favorite things!

I'm so glad to hear that you are feeling better. I'll sleep happy tonight.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 09:01 pm
Yikes - I am just getting to this thread. I'm glad you're feeling better. Add asparagus to the list of diuretics.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 01:47 am
G'day Noddy

You would expect that things would improve more rapidly after you stopped Pentasa. From the Australian Product Information, I see that it has a quite short half-life, and should be cleared from your body within a day - with perhaps a bit slower for regular dosing. Also possibly slower with decreased renal function.

Anyway - I hope you're on the improve.

Cheers from 'ere!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 08:50 am
Oof that was a scare. I'm glad it all seems to have resolved positively. Wiggling rules!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 12:02 pm
This morning I picked up my enormous orange bottle of urine and headed over to the lab where they took five vials of blood and another urine sample.

The Pentasa should be out of my system, but the extra fluid is only starting to go. Weight this morning, 96 pounds and I estimate that I have 2-3 more pounds of water weight.

I was able to manage a hearty breakfast this morning.

In any case my Vital Bodily Fluids are going to be examined to a fare-thee-well while my toes get easier and easier to wiggle.

Let's hear it for the Simple Pleasures of Life.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 01:36 pm
Hear, here!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 01:36 pm
Update:

This morning I had blood taken about 9 a.m.

At 2 p.m. I got a call from my Internist. The lab had called him because my potassium levels were "dangerously" low.

Eight more pills have been added to my day. The next step is "Why are my potassium levels low?"

Ah, multi-tasking on Medical Frontiers! Such jolly fun!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 01:40 pm
Yikes, Noddy!

I hope that the new medications help, though.

This often happens, right? Major Illness is diagnosed (Crohn's), medication for that illness is begun, and then there are lots of fussy little adjustments to get everything aligned... (Initial dosage is too high, initial dosage is too low, medication interferes with something else or causes unpleasant side effects so another, substitute medication is prescribed, etc...)

May equilibrium be reached sooner rather than later. Hold that dominion. (Are you having the great weather we are? Sunny, warm, not-too-hot, lovely.)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 02:06 pm
Soz--

Better to be light-headed from a potassium deficiency than from hysteria or senility.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 02:14 pm
Noddy- There are a number of diuretics that cause a loss of potassium. In those cases, the doctor will usually prescribe a potassium pill. For instance, I take Lasix, and potassium.

There are some diuretics that are called "potassium sparing". You don't need to take extra potassium with them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium-sparing_diuretic
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 02:16 pm
BANANAS bananas bananas Shocked
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 02:24 pm
I remember that farmerman ran into all sorts of issues with his potassium levels.

Found this old thread http://www.able2know.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2693970#2693970
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 03:01 pm
Izzie wrote:
BANANAS bananas bananas Shocked

Methinks that if Noddy ate enough bananas to regulate her potassium, she would look like an orange! The amount of potassium that is prescription strength is far greater than what you would get over the counter.
0 Replies