2
   

Local news: The sheer stupidity of conservative PC

 
 
nimh
 
Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 05:23 pm
Quote:
Imagery in Bastrop school mural stirs controversy

Religious symbols, historical scenes cause some to call for painting's removal.http://img.coxnewsweb.com/B/09/34/60/image_7060349.jpg
A mural by Austin artist Raul Valdez and Bastrop students was installed at Bastrop High School in 2003. School board members this week heard criticisms of its religious and historical imagery.


Bastrop resident Lauren Hansell, who made the original complaint, homeschools her children but visits the school on Fridays to pray with students at the flagpole.

A Christian, Hansell said she wants the mural removed because of the war and slavery scenes and depictions of Buddha and ancient gods. Hansell said girl's basketball coach Dee Deshay pointed out the mural as a potential problem.

"When she showed it to me, I was like, 'Oh my gosh,' " said Hansell, who added that the mural presents a new age idea of peace and unity that could be confusing to Christian students. Hansell said she'd also like a more positive image of African Americans. "It doesn't even represent even a fingernail of the faith here in Bastrop County and what (residents) believe."

Among the images on the mural are an Aztec sun, ancient Egypt's King Tutankhamen, Buddha and Shiva, a Hindu deity, dancing on a demon of ignorance.

Hansell, who at first interpreted Shiva's dance as a message in favor of abortion, said laws that bar Christian symbols from public schools should apply to the mural.


http://img.coxnewsweb.com/B/02/33/60/image_7060332.jpg
The mural reflects aspects of Bastrop's history, such as a Mexican and Comanche raid and slavery. Critic Lauren Hansell says it lacks Christian imagery and positive depictions of blacks.


The First Amendment, which bans government-sponsored religious activities even as it protects religious expression from government interference, allows students to pray during school in informal settings, according to U.S. Department of Education guidelines. The guidelines say students have the right to "express their beliefs about religion in the form of homework, artwork, and other written and oral assignments free of discrimination based on the religious content of their submissions."

Valdez, the muralist, said the purpose of the project was to represent the history and cultural unity in Bastrop. Although no one symbol can represent a culture, he said the students chose the mural's imagery to represent unity.

"It just so happens (the symbols) were religious," Valdez said.

Former school board member Carol Schumacher, whose daughter helped with the mural, said the attempt to take the painting down is an indication of a pervasive Christian influence in the schools that also manifests in the recitation of prayers before school board meetings.

Bastrop High School senior Ashley Crawford said that when she looks at the mural, she thinks about history. Crawford said the mural has been left free of graffiti, which she sees as a sign of respect.

However, some students have signed a petition asking that the mural be removed.

As Mandi Colvin, a sophomore at Bastrop High, sees it: "It's breaking the First Amendment. It needs to come down."

Photos of the mural
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,537 • Replies: 20
No top replies

 
contrex
 
  1  
Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 05:36 pm
That Lauren Hansell sure sounds like an idiot, the kind of stereotype "stupid American" the rest of us know so well.
0 Replies
 
ebrown p
 
  1  
Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 05:43 pm
Quote:

Among the images on the mural are an Aztec sun, ancient Egypt's King Tutankhamen, Buddha and Shiva, a Hindu deity, dancing on a demon of ignorance.
0 Replies
 
nimh
 
  1  
Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 05:46 pm
In vain, apparently.
0 Replies
 
nimh
 
  1  
Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 05:57 pm
I got to this story via a blogger at Cogitamus, who groaned about it in quiet (or not so quiet) despair:

Quote:
The Tongue Of The Wise Makes Knowledge Appealing, But The Mouth Of A Fool Belches Out Foolishness*

n 2003, a group of students at Bastrop High School in Bastrop, TX, painted a mural under the leadership of local artist Raul Valdez. The students chose what to paint; Valdez was there to help them, not create it. For five years this mural has not only existed unremarked by the community at large, it has been left alone; graffiti has never defaced it. [..]

Mrs. Hansell homeschools her children, but goes to the high school each Friday to participate in See You at the Pole, an annual event that in many locations is practiced by a smaller group of kids on a weekly basis. [..] Mrs. Hansell - who is the sole source of her children's education, remember that - is offended by the mural because it contains images of Buddha, Shiva, an Aztec sun image and King Tut. Shiva is depicted dancing on an ignorance demon, portrayed as a baby. In a stunning display of the kind of logic and intellectual rigor Mrs. Hansell is inflicting on her children, she was offended at what she interpreted as a "pro-abortion" reference. Because, you see, people who are "pro-abortion" like to think about dancing on babies' bodies. [..]

Another reason she objects to the mural is because, and for the love of all that is good and holy this is a quote,

    [i]the mural presents a new age idea of peace and unity that could be confusing to Christian students.[/i]
Peace and unity are "new age" concepts. Christian students can be "confused" by images of peace and unity.

I honestly don't know what to do with this. Of course I'm angry, but I'm also profoundly sad that this is the level to which Christianity is sunk. Jesus is supposed to be the Prince of Peace. John 20 records a prayer that Jesus prayed in the Garden of Gesthemene shortly before Judas came for him in which he prayed that his followers would have the same unity and love for one another as that shared between God the Father and Jesus the Son.

Peace and unity, two concepts that lie at the very heart of Christianity, and this woman exists in a state of such extreme religious poverty that she thinks such concepts are alien ideals that must be hidden away to protect Christian children. My heart breaks for this utterly ignorant woman, for her multitude of intellectual and religious peers across this nation, and especially for her children who will pay for the substandard education she is giving them, quite possibly for the rest of their lives.

This is why I believe in God, but have trouble with the idea of an actual Satan. We need all the help we can get to be and do good, but in being and doing evil to one another we need no help at all.

*Proverbs 15:2

I admit that this is one of the reasons why I'm extremely predisposed against home schooling. I'm sure there are homeschooling parents out there who are very qualified. But the inherent danger in homeschooling is that you leave children much more to the exclusive influence of one or two tutors or role models. Some schools may be pretty bad and yes, kids are liable to learn bad lessons from their peers there as well, but overall schools provide an environment where children can learn lessons from a relatively large number of well-meaning and intelligent teachers. Home schooled children are left much more dependent on the input and influence of only their parents -- and not wholly illogically, it seems to be the ignorant and fearful who are particularly inclined to keep their children at home and shield them from the influence of others.

Aside from all that, can you believe the gall of this woman? Here's a mural in a school, thats been there for five years and has been created by many students, and she's demanding it to be taken down even though her child doesnt actually even go to school there! Just comes there for a voluntary weekly prayer session!

The mind boggles.
0 Replies
 
edgarblythe
 
  1  
Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 06:17 pm
Never did I dream that Bastrop would make the news, for any purpose. But, the mural is beautiful. It doesn't strive to preach or press a religion, or a foreign way of life, to my understanding. Just reflects aspects of history. Oh, well.
0 Replies
 
farmerman
 
  1  
Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 06:26 pm
Good thing that theres no depiction of the evolution of man, then the conservative Christians would have strokes.
0 Replies
 
littlek
 
  1  
Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 08:01 pm
Christ!

What are they worried about? Their kids being exposed to concepts that come from outside their immediate comfort zone? Or are they worried that their kids will be lured from their church? Apparently, these people and their kids don't hold very strong convictions.
0 Replies
 
Butrflynet
 
  1  
Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 09:35 pm
Nah, they're worried that the murals and other street art will end up being the only story told about our modern civilization, much like a lot of what we know about ancient history comes from the murals and "street art" of the people.

Revisionism is alive and well.

A school in Los Angeles is fighting similar protests over a mural there because it dared to include a noose on an image of an overpass between what looks like coastal life and valley life.
0 Replies
 
fishin
 
  1  
Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 10:00 am
So where is there anything that indicates that people on either side of this are conservatives or liberals?
0 Replies
 
ebrown p
 
  1  
Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 12:14 pm
fishin wrote:
So where is there anything that indicates that people on either side of this are conservatives or liberals?


Quote:

Bastrop resident Lauren Hansell, who made the original complaint, homeschools her children but visits the school on Fridays to pray with students at the flagpole.

A Christian, Hansell said she wants the mural removed because of the war and slavery scenes and depictions of Buddha and ancient gods. Hansell said girl's basketball coach Dee Deshay pointed out the mural as a potential problem.

"When she showed it to me, I was like, 'Oh my gosh,' " said Hansell, who added that the mural presents a new age idea of peace and unity that could be confusing to Christian students. Hansell said she'd also like a more positive image of African Americans. "It doesn't even represent even a fingernail of the faith here in Bastrop County and what (residents) believe."


You are kidding, right?
0 Replies
 
cyphercat
 
  1  
Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 03:52 pm
nimh wrote:
I admit that this is one of the reasons why I'm extremely predisposed against home schooling. I'm sure there are homeschooling parents out there who are very qualified. But the inherent danger in homeschooling is that you leave children much more to the exclusive influence of one or two tutors or role models. Some schools may be pretty bad and yes, kids are liable to learn bad lessons from their peers there as well, but overall schools provide an environment where children can learn lessons from a relatively large number of well-meaning and intelligent teachers. Home schooled children are left much more dependent on the input and influence of only their parents -- and not wholly illogically, it seems to be the ignorant and fearful who are particularly inclined to keep their children at home and shield them from the influence of others.


This is getting so irritating for me, as people seem to be talking about Christian homeschoolers more and more lately. Would it be too much to ask that people make a distinction between Christian homeschoolers and the rest of us homeschoolers who are perfectly normal, have well-rounded educations, and statistically (for the U.S. at least, where our public skool kidz is dumb Wink) do better on standardized tests and in college than public schooled kids?

*sigh*

I get really pissed about this. And I've seen ignorant comments on a2k about it so often.... I think I'll go make an "I Quit! Goodbye Forever!!" thread...schniff!
0 Replies
 
dlowan
 
  1  
Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 04:02 pm
cyphercat wrote:
nimh wrote:
I admit that this is one of the reasons why I'm extremely predisposed against home schooling. I'm sure there are homeschooling parents out there who are very qualified. But the inherent danger in homeschooling is that you leave children much more to the exclusive influence of one or two tutors or role models. Some schools may be pretty bad and yes, kids are liable to learn bad lessons from their peers there as well, but overall schools provide an environment where children can learn lessons from a relatively large number of well-meaning and intelligent teachers. Home schooled children are left much more dependent on the input and influence of only their parents -- and not wholly illogically, it seems to be the ignorant and fearful who are particularly inclined to keep their children at home and shield them from the influence of others.


This is getting so irritating for me, as people seem to be talking about Christian homeschoolers more and more lately. Would it be too much to ask that people make a distinction between Christian homeschoolers and the rest of us homeschoolers who are perfectly normal, have well-rounded educations, and statistically (for the U.S. at least, where our public skool kidz is dumb Wink) do better on standardized tests and in college than public schooled kids?

*sigh*

I get really pissed about this. And I've seen ignorant comments on a2k about it so often.... I think I'll go make an "I Quit! Goodbye Forever!!" thread...schniff!


Er...apart from religion, what IS the distinction, Cyphercat?
0 Replies
 
nimh
 
  1  
Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 04:58 pm
fishin wrote:
So where is there anything that indicates that people on either side of this are conservatives or liberals?


Quote:

    "Bastrop resident Lauren Hansell, who made the original complaint, homeschools her children but visits the school on Fridays to pray with students at the flagpole. A Christian, Hansell said she wants the mural removed because of the war and slavery scenes and depictions of Buddha and ancient gods. ... I was like, 'Oh my gosh,' " said Hansell, who added that the mural presents a new age idea of peace and unity that could be confusing to Christian students. ... "It doesn't even represent even a fingernail of the faith here in Bastrop County and what (residents) believe." Among the images on the mural [is] a Hindu deity, dancing on a demon of ignorance. Hansell [..] interpreted Shiva's dance as a message in favor of abortion"
I think it's fairly clear-cut whether Lauren Hansell, who started the push to remove the mural, is a conservative or a liberal, Fishin'.

The one single bit that might cause confusion is that she also used as argument that "she'd like a more positive image of African Americans," but I'm sure that's not an exclusively liberal argument...
0 Replies
 
littlek
 
  1  
Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 05:03 pm
By 'positive' she may likely mean more christian.
0 Replies
 
ebrown p
 
  1  
Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 04:25 am
How does hiding the historical fact that slavery existed in America "present a more positive image of African-Americans"?
0 Replies
 
ebrown p
 
  1  
Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 04:28 am
Cyphercat, I get your point about the different types of homeschooling... but to deny the benefits of public schooling is just as unfair.

... and don't even get me started about standardized tests.
0 Replies
 
DrewDad
 
  1  
Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 06:50 am
littlek wrote:
By 'positive' she may likely mean more christian.

I suspect she means less embarassing for white folk.
0 Replies
 
nimh
 
  1  
Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 07:23 am
yep.
0 Replies
 
cyphercat
 
  1  
Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 08:45 pm
dlowan wrote:
Er...apart from religion, what IS the distinction, Cyphercat?


Well, you know what I mean, I would think--Christians are typically choosing homeschooling just to make sure that they can shape the curriculum to jibe with their religious beliefs...making sure their kids don't hear about evolution or whatever. That's a whole lot different than deciding to homeschool because you realize that with the public school system the way it is, your child is going to be held back by the necessarily limited individual attention, or because they'd learn better with a different style of teaching, or for all the other, non-religious, reasons that people choose homeschooling.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

T'Pring is Dead - Discussion by Brandon9000
Another Calif. shooting spree: 4 dead - Discussion by Lustig Andrei
Friends don't let friends fat-talk - Discussion by hawkeye10
Before you criticize the media - Discussion by Robert Gentel
Fatal Baloon Accident - Discussion by 33export
The Day Ferguson Cops Were Caught in a Bloody Lie - Discussion by bobsal u1553115
Robin Williams is dead - Discussion by Butrflynet
 
  1. Forums
  2. » Local news: The sheer stupidity of conservative PC
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 10/16/2021 at 10:26:28