The Case Against John McCain

sozobe

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 07:06 pm
mysteryman wrote:
sozobe wrote:
woiyo wrote:
The youngster from Illinios has not even been able to capture the delegates needed to win the nomination.

He's well on his way. He has the majority of pledged delegates available as of last night, and superdelegates are trickling in today.

He may have the majority of the PLEDGED delegates, but he does not yet have enough to secure the nomination.
He needs 2025, and according to this website he has somewhere between 1931 and 1961.
That isnt enough to secure the nomination.
http://demconwatch.blogspot.com/2008/02/ultimate-delegate-tracker.html

So while he most likely will win, he hasnt won yet.

In other words, what I already said. I didn't say "he's already won," I said "he's well on his way."

Quote:
And from some of what I have read, there is a good chance that neither of them will win enough delegates to reach 2025.

"Good chance," eh? Have a link?

The overwhelming consensus is that when voting is over on June 3rd, Obama will have won more states, more pledged delegates, and the popular vote, and that remaining undeclared superdelegates will then seal the deal between then and July 1st.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 07:18 pm
hanno, obviously I wasn't trying to be original. I quoted one of the better posters around. As for McCain and Hagee, McCain really cant denounce him since Rapturites like Hagee make up the largest part of his constituancy. That's why McCain went begging for Hagee's endorsement.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 08:12 am
WASHINGTON, May 16 (UPI) -- GOP presidential hopeful John McCain sees "everything" through his experience in the military and that can be "dangerous," Sen. Tom Harkin, D-Iowa, said Friday.

Harkin said the Arizona senator "has a hard time thinking beyond" his extensive military background, The Des Moines (Iowa) Register reported.

"Everything is looked at from his life experiences, from always having been in the military, and I think that can be pretty dangerous," Harkin said in a conference call with reporters.

McCain graduated from the Naval Academy in 1958 and served in the U.S. Navy as a pilot. He was held as a prisoner of war in Vietnam for five and a half years and is the son and grandson of U.S. Navy admirals.

"It's one thing to have been drafted and served," Harkin said, "but another thing when you come from generations of military people and that's just how you're steeped, how you've learned, how you've grown up."

McCain currently serves as the top Republican on the Senate Armed Services Committee.

Neither of the Democratic presidential candidates, Sens. Barack Obama of Illinois nor Hillary Clinton of New York, has served in the military."

Well, now we have the liberal anti military sector adding their 2 cents to the debate to remind us all how the liberals hate anyone with a military background.

Just remember folks, the last 2 Presidents had no military background and look where we are.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 09:07 am
woiyo wrote:
Well, now we have the liberal anti military sector adding their 2 cents to the debate to remind us all how the liberals hate anyone with a military background.

Just remember folks, the last 2 Presidents had no military background and look where we are.

He didn't say or state that he was anti-military. Try to focus, lad. You make a mockery of your supposed location.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 09:15 am
JTT wrote:
woiyo wrote:

He didn't say or state that he was anti-military. Try to focus, lad. You make a mockery of your supposed location.

Then explain what exactly he means by ""Everything is looked at from his life experiences, from always having been in the military, and I think that can be pretty dangerous," Harkin said "

Give it your best shot
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 11:03 am
woiyo wrote:
JTT wrote:
woiyo wrote:

Then explain what exactly he means by ""Everything is looked at from his life experiences, from always having been in the military, and I think that can be pretty dangerous," Harkin said "

Give it your best shot

Having a worldview completely shaped by the military isn't necessarily the best thing for a President, who has a lot of responsibilities and duties which frankly have nothing to do with that worldview.

It's the same reason I don't want a CEO president; there are certain backgrounds that make me pretty leery about one's attitudes towards running the country.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 11:12 am
So an attorney, who never worked in private practice, spent a few years as a State Rep and has yet to completed 1 term as a US senator, with no military experience, has a better resume than the Distinguished Senator from Arizona?

Remember the old saying, those who can not do, teach. Mr. Obama taught for a few years.

I still need to know exactly what Harkin means by "dangerous". If I recall, he spent more than a few years in the military and even lied about what he did.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 11:18 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Having a worldview completely shaped by the military isn't necessarily the best thing for a President, who has a lot of responsibilities and duties which frankly have nothing to do with that worldview.

It's the same reason I don't want a CEO president; there are certain backgrounds that make me pretty leery about one's attitudes towards running the country.

Cycloptichorn

That's good to hear, especially since McCains worldview hasn't been completely shaped by the military.

Considering that the country will be involved in 2 wars when the next President takes office, It would be better to have a new President that had at least some military experiance. I don't believe this is the right time for a greenhorn in the oval office. America will agree in November.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 11:18 am
woiyo wrote:
So an attorney, who never worked in private practice, spent a few years as a State Rep and has yet to completed 1 term as a US senator, with no military experience, has a better resume than the Distinguished Senator from Arizona?

Remember the old saying, those who can not do, teach. Mr. Obama taught for a few years.

I still need to know exactly what Harkin means by "dangerous". If I recall, he spent more than a few years in the military and even lied about what he did.

but but but...Michelle mentored him.

oops, I forgot that she's off limits.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 11:40 am
woiyo wrote:

The 'old saying' is, yeah, bullcrap. I'm surrounded right at this moment by accomplished attorneys who also teach.

Obama was a Constitutional Law professor. That's good enough for me; he has a better understanding of what our nation's rules and regulations which must be followed are then the current bunch.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 12:51 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
woiyo wrote:

The 'old saying' is, yeah, bullcrap. I'm surrounded right at this moment by accomplished attorneys who also teach.

Obama was a Constitutional Law professor. That's good enough for me; he has a better understanding of what our nation's rules and regulations which must be followed are then the current bunch.

Cycloptichorn

And his "world view" was shaped....how???? In a classroom?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 01:17 pm
woiyo wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
woiyo wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Oh, I think that's only a part of what makes someone's world view.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 01:21 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
woiyo wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
woiyo wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Cycloptichorn

Well, you gonna tell me?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 01:23 pm
woiyo wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
woiyo wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
woiyo wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Cycloptichorn

Well, you gonna tell me?

Well, it's fair to say that his worldview was shaped by a multitude of different events/situations. He was a law professor, a community organizer, a State Senator. All of those experiences likely added to his worldview, along with others.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 01:28 pm
And he lived in a foreign country from age six to ten. Laughing
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 01:32 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Well, it's fair to say that his worldview was shaped by a multitude of different events/situations. He was a law professor, a community organizer, a State Senator. All of those experiences likely added to his worldview, along with others.

Cycloptichorn

Yet McCain's world view was "completely shaped by the military"?

That doesn't even begin to make sense.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 01:34 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Yet McCain's world view was "completely shaped by the military"?

That doesn't even begin to make sense.

I don't necessarily agree with the original author who voiced that opinion.

McCain's worldview was also undoubtedly shaped by his decades of service in Washington, D.C... which can be either a good thing or a bad thing, depending on how you look at it Smile

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

hanno

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 02:07 pm
blueflame1 wrote:
hanno, obviously I wasn't trying to be original. I quoted one of the better posters around. As for McCain and Hagee, McCain really cant denounce him since Rapturites like Hagee make up the largest part of his constituancy. That's why McCain went begging for Hagee's endorsement.

Alright then, well you just let me know if anyone says anything important.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 02:17 pm
hanno, sure. Hegee said something important. He said Hitler was G-D's hunter. Joy Behar said something important the other day. That Prescott Bush Sr. was Hitler's business partner. Haven't heard much about appeasement since.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 02:29 pm
Update: McCain rejects Hagee's endorsement link Well. And now will Bushie denounce Prescott Sr. and George Herbert Walker's partnerships with Hitler?
0 Replies