Filling SUV's while people starve

tycoon

Reply Sun 4 May, 2008 05:47 pm
Filling SUV's while people starve.

Can I hear some straight talk about the reality of this statement.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,689 • Replies: 54
No top replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 4 May, 2008 06:30 pm
Starvation is much more a function of excess population and indifferent political process than it is excessive use of gasoline by SUV'ers.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 4 May, 2008 06:49 pm
People buy more then they need all over the world.

Single people do not need SUVs
Young men do not need large , 4 door cab trucks

Large vehicles are truly un-necessary except for the construction worker , or taxi driver.
Most everyone can live without a large vehicle.. they just dont see the need since they can afford it ( Meaning push your credit limit higher so that you can balance payments all month for things you can not afford ) and that society tells them they need it. Advertising puts self esteem in line with what you drive.. And since our cities, countries, and neighborhoods are all built to accommodate the car , we have to have them.

most families with one child do not need suvs. A 4 door sedan is more then enough physical room.. but not enough show off ego room.

We depleat the world to satisfy our american purchase happy egos. No matter the cost!

There are more then enough reasonable options out there for families.. they jsut dont CHOOSE them because they are not 'flashy enough'
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 4 May, 2008 06:51 pm
Shewolf, You say they buy more than they need "all over the world". I think it is pretty particular to the US, at least in it's pervasiveness. Certainly people do this world-wide, but not to the extent that we do.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 4 May, 2008 07:15 pm
Quote:
Shewolf, You say they buy more than they need "all over the world". I think it is pretty particular to the US, at least in it's pervasiveness. Certainly people do this world-wide, but not to the extent that we do.

in north-america we certainly do know how to use "excess in excess" .
i have , however , also noted that the rich in india know how to live in excess while the majority of their sisters and brothers are struggling . indian weddings - by the rich - are certainly a good Shocked example .
hbg
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 4 May, 2008 07:27 pm
What I am trying to say (I'm distracted), is that while there are always rich people who will throw their wealth around, in this country everyone does - even if they have no wealth. I see some very poor people driving some very expensive cars quite often. What's our average rate of debt? 18,000 bucks per person?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 4 May, 2008 07:50 pm
To estimate the real implications of your per capita debt consideration, you would need to assess it in light of GDP/GNP per capita. In that context you'll discover both the US and Canada fair rather well on a relative global basis.

That's not an intent on my part to provide rationalization/justification of the present wealth distribution.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 4 May, 2008 08:16 pm
I made a mistake with my post.

I too was tryingt i point at America.. and not the entire world

I think what was running through my mind was " all over america" ..instead I said world.

eh.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 4 May, 2008 10:19 pm
If you keep going down this road, you'll have to condemn anyone who has more than the bare necessities to keep themselves alive.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 4 May, 2008 10:39 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
I made a mistake with my post.

I too was tryingt i point at America.. and not the entire world

I think what was running through my mind was " all over america" ..instead I said world.

eh.

I getcha! I knew you knew.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 4 May, 2008 11:00 pm
DrewDad wrote:
If you keep going down this road, you'll have to condemn anyone who has more than the bare necessities to keep themselves alive.
Only in as much as some reasonable minimal global standard is not met, can you (with the aid of the 'ol slippery slope fallacy) support such a claim.

Given human nature (as it stands now, not as it may become) the chances of such a reasonable minimal global standard being met consistently over time is not great.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 4 May, 2008 11:05 pm
Re: Filling SUV's while people starve
tycoon wrote:
Filling SUV's while people starve.

Can I hear some straight talk about the reality of this statement.

Flying first class, while people starve.

Buying tickets to a Diamondbacks game, while people starve.

Spending $100 for a bottle of wine, while people starve.

Spending discretionary income to get drunk every night at the neighborhood pub, while people starve.

Going on a scuba diving vacation, while people starve.

The richest man in India is building the worlds most expensive house ($2 billion), while people starve.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sun 4 May, 2008 11:15 pm
posting in an internet forum while people starve
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 4 May, 2008 11:20 pm
Eating Krispy Kreme while people starve.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sun 4 May, 2008 11:28 pm
i'm snacking on kona coffe dark chocolate macadamias Razz
0 Replies

hanno

Reply Sun 4 May, 2008 11:30 pm
I'm for it. Bad choice of words though, jumps over the direct correlation between the two...
0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 04:24 am
I'm sorry, I forgot in my OP to include ethanol, which was to be the main point here--turning foodstuff into fuel, causing food prices to soar. I wanted some straight talk on that.

I didn't mean for this to be about the disparity between haves and have nots. I want to know how true a statement such as, "People are filling their SUV's on ethanol, while people starve because of high food costs" is.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 07:31 am
Here's an interesting article on US food policy:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120968518398861073.html
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 07:49 am
And I think there's a growing consensus that Ethanol from corn production is a losing proposition.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 08:00 am
tycoon wrote:
I'm sorry, I forgot in my OP to include ethanol, which was to be the main point here--turning foodstuff into fuel, causing food prices to soar. I wanted some straight talk on that.

I didn't mean for this to be about the disparity between haves and have nots. I want to know how true a statement such as, "People are filling their SUV's on ethanol, while people starve because of high food costs" is.

Ethanol is only one factor effecting food prices. The current high cost of crude is a larger factor in rising costs food and many other items.
0 Replies