Filling SUV's while people starve

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 12:22 pm
DrewDad wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:
Governments who have citizens should be prepared to care for them.
Ah, but what are you prepared to do if they don't?

Call social services?
In North Korea? (Where North Koreans are now, on the average, several inches shorter than South Koreans do to malnutrition. This wasn't the case between Northerners and Southerners when they were all Koreans.)

So... you're heading over to North Korea to protest, right?
Rolling Eyes No, I'm part of an awareness campaign, right here and now. NK is only one terrific example of unnecessary starvation. Perhaps the worst example of all, when you consider the South Koreans would gladly provide a rice bowl for every one of their northern neighbors, were they not prevented from doing so by Kim's regime.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 12:40 pm
Oh, OK. I'm sure being part of an awareness campaign is very fulfilling.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 03:05 pm
I own a jeep. My "sports/utility vehicle" has a 2.5 liter, four-cylinder engine. Does that make me a sinner, or a saint?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 03:15 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Probably only slightly more fulfilling than your is quipping idiotically while adding nothing to the conversation.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 03:19 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
Probably only slightly more fulfilling than your is quipping idiotically while adding nothing to the conversation.

Perhaps we should have a poll....
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 10:00 pm
DrewDad wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
DrewDad wrote:

Rolling Eyes More idiocy. The topic is starving people. WTF is your problem anyway?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 10:22 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
DrewDad wrote:

Rolling Eyes More idiocy. The topic is starving people. WTF is your problem anyway?

It's a problem to point out that you're all talk and no action?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 10:41 pm
DrewDad wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
DrewDad wrote:

It's a problem to point out that you're all talk and no action?

A. You obviously know nothing about my charity. No reason you should; but opining from ignorance is generally a pretty stupid idea.
B. WTF is your problem? Why start sniping out of the blue? I don't recall seeing you behave so childishly in the past?
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 10:43 pm
Setanta wrote:
I own a jeep. My "sports/utility vehicle" has a 2.5 liter, four-cylinder engine. Does that make me a sinner, or a saint?

We're all goin' straight to hell, for burnin' the dinosaur juice.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 12:27 am
Bright, shiny, canary yellow Hummers tend to make me a little crazy.

It seems to me that there is no easy answer and so we all tend to take sides and think the other side doesn't know what they are talking about.

Does the drug addicted mother who pimps out her three year old daughter deserve help? Will her daughter deserve help when she follows in her mother's footsteps? Will they ever be deserving enough?

Why is it such a problem for some people to agree to help those who have less than we do? If you think about it, taking the money spent on war and using it to feed the world would be far more effective monetarily than throwing money at any war or to blindly accept the obscene golden parachutes that CEO's of major corporations receive. Business didn't always reward the top with no recognition of the lowest workers.

True, I don't send money to some nations which are notorious for taking it and using it to enrich the leaders. I do support Doctors Without Borders and similar organizations which do hands on work. It just takes some research to find a way to help others and to do it effectively. It doesn't mean that those of us who do support feeding the hungry are mindless idealists. If support is to work, it takes brave and tough minded people to do the heavey lifting, while most of us just send in a check a few times a year.

Sorry to ramble. I shouldn't post when it's past my bedtime.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 05:18 am
2PacksAday wrote:
Setanta wrote:

We're all goin' straight to hell, for burnin' the dinosaur juice.

I always figured Hell would be the easier gig--since there's gonna be so many of us, i figure the hours will be shorter.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 07:23 am
Diane wrote:
Sorry to ramble. I shouldn't post when it's past my bedtime.
That was a fine post and you should post whenever the urge strikes you.
0 Replies

hanno

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 03:40 pm
I think it's quite awesome that we can commute agriculture into fuel. It's like, getting back to where we'd be if the dust-bowl had never happened, plus all the urbanization it spurred (good time to go back to hard currency methiks, turn that damn Euro into pastel turlet paper!).

Not only that, I'm a huge fan of the narrow power band, love me my push rods. Sadly those are going away due to the prejudices of bureaucrats, but get us a reason (other than displacement tax, you commie-pinkos), like ethanol, to put turbochargers on Otto-cycle engines, it won't be the kind of easy-mannered sleeper I like per se, but it'll have that sweet sweet effect of grumbling when it's not howling. And by adjusting the CFM/revs & the dump-point, perhaps there will again be such a thing as the properties of a sports car and those of working capital in terms of a ride coinciding for those of us without 8 kids...

Where was I? Even my boy McCain, like Santa Claus with napalm and daisy-cutters back in the day, is a bit too soft-hearted to share my resolve, but it's just a matter of meeting fate on our own terms. I mean, the environment will never be safe as long as we can get enough of what we want to pop-a-nut. People will breed as much as they can, without regard to tree-frog diversity, and I say we might as well end it here, with kick-ass cars, GDP growing out of the ground, and national-self-sufficiency after a century, as opposed to 30 years from now, riding bikes, owing China money for our trouble, while the population of the third world hits 6-billion. Who's with me?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 04:03 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
People buy more then they need all over the world.

Single people do not need SUVs
Young men do not need large , 4 door cab trucks

First of all, who are you to say what other people need or not?
I am single, with no kids, and I have a full size pickup truck.
I drive it everywhere I go.

Now, according to you I dont need it.

Large vehicles are truly un-necessary except for the construction worker , or taxi driver.

So you are saying that I dont need my truck, since I'm not a construction worker or a taxi driver?
Then please tell me what kind of vehicle you think I NEED to be driving?

Most everyone can live without a large vehicle.. they just dont see the need since they can afford it ( Meaning push your credit limit higher so that you can balance payments all month for things you can not afford ) and that society tells them they need it. Advertising puts self esteem in line with what you drive.. And since our cities, countries, and neighborhoods are all built to accommodate the car , we have to have them.

most families with one child do not need suvs. A 4 door sedan is more then enough physical room.. but not enough show off ego room.

We depleat the world to satisfy our american purchase happy egos. No matter the cost!

There are more then enough reasonable options out there for families.. they jsut dont CHOOSE them because they are not 'flashy enough'

Now, before you go on about how "wasteful" I am for driving my full size pickup truck, you NEED to factor in the fact that I am a firefighter, and ALL of my turnout gear and other equipment is carried in my truck, and that I am required by state regulations to ALWAYS have my gear with me.

Do you still wanna say that I dont NEED my truck, even though I'm single with no kids?
0 Replies

islandgirl

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 04:04 pm
Mysteryman,

I'd have to agree with you on this one. Although I'm not a firefighter, I'm an interior designer and I am constantly hauling all sorts of things. Just today I was hauling acetylene tanks for the welders and a load of jute netting for the landscapers. Stateside I drive an Avalanche, in STT a small compact car. But even when I'm on island I have to hire people to deliver things for me, like that saves gas.
0 Replies