Obama Gets His Hands Dirty

eoe

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 07:44 am
maporsche wrote:
engineer wrote:
sozobe wrote:

Not a deity though.

None of us supporting Obama have ever said that. .

NO Obama supporters? Zero? Really?

Really. You and yours have painted Obama as some sort of Christ-like figure in your contempt and derision of him and his supporters. I sure as hell never proclaimed him as such and I don't know a soul who has. Except for you and yours.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 07:45 am
sozobe wrote:
Not a deity though.

engineer wrote:
None of us supporting Obama have ever said that.

maporsche wrote:

I don't recall anyone, other than the anti-Obama crowd referring to him as a deity, a messiah, or anything biblical/supernatural/superhuman.

If there have been any instances where Obama supporters have referred to him as a deity, be them many or few, it should be an easy task to find them for us.

I may speak for engineer and sozobe when I say that we will wait patiently for you to return with this information.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 07:49 am
sozobe wrote:
Heh...!

Since I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't...

The politically expedient thing for Obama to have done was to throw Wright under the bus long ago, certainly by the time he made his "More Perfect Union" speech in Philadelphia. Instead he gave a thorny, non-soundbite-y, difficult speech in which he refused to throw Wright under the bus.

That was NOT politics as usual.

Then, Wright started either purposely or cluelessly actively sabotaging Obama's campaign. The Moyers interview was pretty good with some problematic moments. The press club appearance had its issues. And by the NAACP appearance things were looking bad.

This was what Wright DID. It wasn't something that Hillary Clinton created or that John McCain created. It was a personal affront to Obama.

So he reacted, quickly and strongly. He still was nuanced, still talked about all the good things his church has done and the wonderful people there. But he wasn't going to let that go unanswered.

All of it is consistent with what he's been saying and writing about throughout.

In many ways, I believe Rev. Wright resurrecting the issue is good for the country. I did not find his sermons to be problematic because most of his comments were taken out of context and made into sound-bites of an evil man.

What's at issue, to me, is white folks discomfort, lack of knowlege and therefore their feeling threatened with the culture of black people and their churches.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 07:52 am
candidone1 wrote:
I may speak for engineer and sozobe when I say that we will wait patiently for you to return with this information.

Well, I'm worried about the sweeping generalization though (they always worry me, heh!) -- there might be something from Rama or Roxxxanne or something. Who knows.

I will say that the vast majority of the Obama supporters on this board haven't and wouldn't call him a deity.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 07:54 am
Gala wrote:
What's at issue, to me, is white folks discomfort, lack of knowlege and therefore their feeling threatened with the culture of black people and their churches.

Yeah, I agree.

I still don't have a good sense of how representative Wright is. I liked Obama's comments yesterday about how in black churches, people shout, people holler. :-) That's just how it is, not a big deal.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 07:55 am
sozobe wrote:
candidone1 wrote:

Well, I'm worried about the sweeping generalization though (they always worry me, heh!) -- there might be something from Rama or Roxxxanne or something. Who knows.

I will say that the vast majority of the Obama supporters on this board haven't and wouldn't call him a deity.

He's not the messiah....he's just a very naughty boy?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 07:59 am
sozobe wrote:
Heh...!

The politically expedient thing for Obama to have done was to throw Wright under the bus long ago, certainly by the time he made his "More Perfect Union" speech in Philadelphia. Instead he gave a thorny, non-soundbite-y, difficult speech in which he refused to throw Wright under the bus.

Then, Wright started either purposely or cluelessly actively sabotaging Obama's campaign. The Moyers interview was pretty good with some problematic moments. The press club appearance had its issues. And by the NAACP appearance things were looking bad.

This was what Wright DID. It wasn't something that Hillary Clinton created or that John McCain created. It was a personal affront to Obama.

So he reacted, quickly and strongly. He still was nuanced, still talked about all the good things his church has done and the wonderful people there. But he wasn't going to let that go unanswered.

All of it is consistent with what he's been saying and writing about throughout.

This is a good assessment. It was definitely not politics as usual. It was kinda like when Pacino had to finally wack his own brother Fredo in the Godfather. He tried to save him, but in the end, he had to do it because the assh*le left him no other choice.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 08:01 am
candidone1 wrote:
sozobe wrote:
Not a deity though.

engineer wrote:
None of us supporting Obama have ever said that.

maporsche wrote:

I don't recall anyone, other than the anti-Obama crowd referring to him as a deity, a messiah, or anything biblical/supernatural/superhuman.

If there have been any instances where Obama supporters have referred to him as a deity, be them many or few, it should be an easy task to find them for us.

the anti obama crowd as you say are, when using the term messiah, referring to the near religious fervor which many Obama supporters treat him with..... and you know that...thanks for your patience...
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 08:03 am
kickycan wrote:
sozobe wrote:
Heh...!

This is a good assessment. It was definitely not politics as usual. It was kinda like when Pacino had to finally wack his own brother Fredo in the Godfather. He tried to save him, but in the end, he had to do it because the assh*le left him no other choice.

he could have let fredo live.... it would have made no difference.... the guy was a reatard.... like Wright.... :wink:
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 08:04 am
Gala wrote:

It's a common style of preaching in many Black churches and there's no point in White America feeling threatened by it now because it sure isn't new.
There's not much difference between Rev. Wright's radical comments, or his delivery, from Rev. Martin Luther King forty-plus years ago.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 08:07 am
I thought that was a good moment in the press conference btw... Obama was asked something about black liberation theology and first he said something about how he's not a theologian or anything, but then immediately brought it down to earth by talking about how it's essentially the social gospel, and that Martin Luther King was an example of someone who did that. It immediately took it from scary and radical to oh, Martin Luther King, great American hero, right.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 08:12 am
My husband mentioned Black Liberation Theology this morning. I'd never even heard that term before. Who in the hell labeled it so quickly? It's called preachin'. That's all. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 08:18 am
sozobe wrote:
Gala wrote:

Yeah, I agree.

I still don't have a good sense of how representative Wright is. I liked Obama's comments yesterday about how in black churches, people shout, people holler. :-) That's just how it is, not a big deal.

and that's a good thing.... just lay off it in the movie theater would ya? :wink:

A pastor on Morning Joe this morning was speaking about how Wright was absolutely not representative of the black church or the beliefs of the black community. He said Wrights rhetoric was very 45 year old black Nationalistic and no longer had any place or influence in the black community. He said the average black person loved Jesus and America and if you went to a barber shop on Saturday and asked, the majority would say if Jeremiah Wright hates america, buy a ticket and get out. He said the black community on the whole recognizes that although there is still work to do America is still the best country to live in and the very fact that Obama is running and has a real chance to be the next president shows the amount of progress that's been made and is another reason to be proud to be an American of any color.

I believe he is accurate and he did not give any impression of being a political fire fighter... just a sensible and sincere guy. I liked him and what he had to say.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 08:19 am
sozobe wrote:

Exactly, it is so Not a big deal.

He's captured a lot of attention because he's equally smart as Obama. He's from another generation and is doing his big tour because he doesn't want his legacy flushed down the toilet. At some point, enough will be enough with his defense.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 08:22 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
A pastor on Morning Joe this morning was speaking about how Wright was absolutely not representative of the black church or the beliefs of the black community. He said Wrights rhetoric was very 45 year old black Nationalistic and no longer had any place or influence in the black community.

Tell that to the 1000's who flock to Trinity every Sunday morning. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 08:26 am
eoe wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
A pastor on Morning Joe this morning was speaking about how Wright was absolutely not representative of the black church or the beliefs of the black community. He said Wrights rhetoric was very 45 year old black Nationalistic and no longer had any place or influence in the black community.

Tell that to the 1000's who flock to Trinity every Sunday morning. Rolling Eyes

So you think Wright represents and speaks for the black community?

so the other guy was Tomming?
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 08:34 am
Just like the Holocaust is taught to every Jewish person on the planet so it goes with black people, slavery and Jim Crow. These things will never go away and so Wright has a pulpit and an audience in American society.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 08:36 am
well slavery and jim crow is part of the black experience and if nothing else should be used as a comparison tool to show how far the black community has come and be a source of pride IMO but obviously I can't speak for the black community.... being a white devil and all....
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 08:41 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
well slavery and jim crow is part of the black experience and if nothing else should be used as a comparison tool to show how far the black community has come and be a source of pride IMO but obviously I can't speak for the black community.... being a white devil and all....

White, KKK, sheet wearing devil you are.

But I don't agree with you about it being a vantage point of how far they've come. Rather, these were horrors that have ended on the grossest scale-- reality is, black people are still hated and discriminated against only in different ways.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 08:52 am
but progress has been made.... some see the glass as half empty.... some as half full...
0 Replies