Obama Gets His Hands Dirty

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 05:25 am
Obama throws Wright under the bus.... he became problematic... and so Obama, whether he wanted to or not... flip flopped on Wright and pushed him off the cliff.

Obama is a smart guy... and he may very well be the next president.... but he made the same old same old Washington politics move because it was what he needed to do to advance his campaign no matter his personal feelings.

welcome to the real world Mr. Above the Fray. Laughing
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,415 • Replies: 86
No top replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 05:34 am
True dat.

Obama has disowned his pastor that just a few weeks ago he could no more disown than he could his own white grandmother. She's gotta be feeling real good about that these days.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 05:38 am
Bear, I just posted in your female anatomy thread something similiar, but not quite with your exceptional relish.

Yes, Obama is saying anything to get the nomination...but Clinton is making promises she will not be able to keep. Both are pretty desperate at the moment.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 05:51 am
and that has been my objection to Obama all along... not that I don't think he's a smart guy and certainly not because I don't want a black man to be president.... merely because I've stood back and shook my head over the sheep buying in to this I'm different, I'm above, I'm more than bullshit. Obama is a politician, period and subject to the same backroom deals and lies and promises as any other.

At the end of the day Obama, like Hillary or any other politician wants to be elected first and foremost FOR THEMSELVES!!!!
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 05:54 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
At the end of the day Obama, like Hillary or any other politician wants to be elected first and foremost FOR THEMSELVES!!!!

Amen, brother.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 06:01 am
getting pretty crowded under that bus with Grandma and now the Preacher.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 06:46 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
and that has been my objection to Obama all along... not that I don't think he's a smart guy and certainly not because I don't want a black man to be president.... merely because I've stood back and shook my head over the sheep buying in to this I'm different, I'm above, I'm more than bullshit. Obama is a politician, period and subject to the same backroom deals and lies and promises as any other.

I couldn't agree more.

I've said it several times, but it was the religious ferver and unwavering alligience to this almighty man who reminded some of the messiah that turned me away from Obama, not Obama.

Also, Obama has made more than a few promises that HE won't be able to keep. It's unfair to call Clinton out on that and not Obama.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 06:48 am
You've done way more than stand back and shake your head, BPB.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 06:50 am
yup... I've constantly pointed it out... I'm right as well.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 06:55 am
You've constantly pointed it out... in maximally annoying ways. Laughing

It's not the fact that you, like, dare to question Obama that's the problem... it's the maximally annoying part!

And if I dare to refute your claims, then I'm being an arrogant, elitist, and condescending kool-aid drinker, right?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 06:58 am
sozobe... I commend you, and I'm not surprised, that you would be one of the people to catch on and bow in the face of irrefutable truth

:wink:
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 07:09 am
Heh...!

Since I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't...

The politically expedient thing for Obama to have done was to throw Wright under the bus long ago, certainly by the time he made his "More Perfect Union" speech in Philadelphia. Instead he gave a thorny, non-soundbite-y, difficult speech in which he refused to throw Wright under the bus.

That was NOT politics as usual.

Then, Wright started either purposely or cluelessly actively sabotaging Obama's campaign. The Moyers interview was pretty good with some problematic moments. The press club appearance had its issues. And by the NAACP appearance things were looking bad.

This was what Wright DID. It wasn't something that Hillary Clinton created or that John McCain created. It was a personal affront to Obama.

So he reacted, quickly and strongly. He still was nuanced, still talked about all the good things his church has done and the wonderful people there. But he wasn't going to let that go unanswered.

All of it is consistent with what he's been saying and writing about throughout.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 07:13 am
sozobe wrote:
This was what Wright DID. It wasn't something that Hillary Clinton created or that John McCain created. It was a personal affront to Obama.

So he reacted, quickly and strongly. He still was nuanced, still talked about all the good things his church has done and the wonderful people there. But he wasn't going to let that go unanswered.

All of it is consistent with what he's been saying and writing about throughout.

I thought Wright's comments about him being a pastor and saying what he had to say and Obama being a politician and saying whatever politicians say was rough after Obama took a chance and refused to hammer him originally. Hopefully Obama can now say he's closed the issue on Wright and talk about something else.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 07:14 am
sorry soz.. politics as usual IMO... Obama bowed to the inevitable.... doesn't make him a bad man.... but does make him a regular man... not a deity.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 07:16 am
Guess what... I've never said, thought, or implied he's a deity!

He's a regular guy -- not a perfect guy -- with a lot of gifts. The candidate who I think is most likely to make a good president.

Not a deity though.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 07:17 am
engineer wrote:
sozobe wrote:

I thought Wright's comments about him being a pastor and saying what he had to say and Obama being a politician and saying whatever politicians say was rough after Obama took a chance and refused to hammer him originally. Hopefully Obama can now say he's closed the issue on Wright and talk about something else.

don't ,misunderstand me... Wright is an ass hole and I don't think he speaks for the black community...
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 07:23 am
sozobe wrote:
Guess what... I've never said, thought, or implied he's a deity!

He's a regular guy -- not a perfect guy -- with a lot of gifts. The candidate who I think is most likely to make a good president.

Not a deity though.

None of us supporting Obama have ever said that. We only hear that from the anti-Obama crowd. All of this could be a blessing in disguise. Those who feel Obama has not been appropriately "vetted" or "battle tested" will have their concerns answered. It would make a nice SNL skit though. At the debate, Obama is asked about the jewelry he wears, etc.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 07:32 am
engineer wrote:
sozobe wrote:

Not a deity though.

None of us supporting Obama have ever said that. .

NO Obama supporters? Zero? Really?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 07:34 am
Try not to be so pleased with yourself, Bear.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 07:36 am
I am not pleased with myself at all duckie quite the contrary.... I am humbled
to be chosen as a vessel for the truth and common sense despite my obvious flaws as a person.... not unlike how god chose Moses... a man with a speech defect..... to challenge pharoah.... I feel small and transparent....
0 Replies