A Taxonomy of A2K Liberals :-)

nimh

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 04:37 pm
Setanta wrote:
"yellow dog" is nothing but a pointless sneer.

I thought it had long since been taken up as a ... how do you call that in English ... when a group of people is called something, pejoratively, but at some point adopts the label itself, defiantly?

In Dutch we call it a "geuzennaam", after the Geuzen, who once upon a time battled for Dutch independence from Spain, and had adopted their name from what they were originally disparagingly called by the powers that be (gueux = beggars)...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 04:40 pm
engineer wrote:
Where is BumbleBeeBoogie? You can't leave her out!

I know, but "Organisers" and "Fighters" are far away from each other...

.. this chart has flaws <nods>
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 04:50 pm
wingnuts

Laughing Laughing

that is great..
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 05:12 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
wingnuts

Laughing Laughing

that is great..

Especially the intersection of posers and fighters in the wingnut circle.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 05:14 pm
nimh wrote:
Oh, and you, I think, need to go somewhere between Thomas and Ebeth... except that Ebeth needs to move, thats not the right place for her

I can't move.

I've put my hip scarf on and got into my pose already.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 05:16 pm
I'm learning things here... in that I thought I understood what yellow dog meant, but didn't.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 06:13 pm
JPB wrote:
I'm just waiting for joefromchicago to see that he's a poser.

I'll wait for nimh to explain that.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 06:25 pm
Gotta pull up a chair...
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 06:33 pm
i guess it would be nice if organizers, pragmatists and idealists overlapped.. if they did, i think i'd wedge myself in there, somewhere between soz, thomas, and freeduck. yeah.
nicely done!
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 06:40 pm
I think I'm properly placed.

Where are you going to put Gus, Gargamel and Kicky? Maybe you need a Bacchanalia circle.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 07:09 pm
nimh wrote:
In Dutch we call it a "geuzennaam", after the Geuzen, who once upon a time battled for Dutch independence from Spain, and had adopted their name from what they were originally disparagingly called by the powers that be (gueux = beggars)...

Since this thread is so pointless to begin with . . . The Spanish "owned" the Netherlands (roughly, modern Holland, Belgium, Luxemburg, and parts of northern France and western Germany) because the Duke of Burgundy married the widow of the Count of Holland, who had been the highest ranking aristocrat in the region--the rest of the territory belonged to the Dukes of Burgundy as of right. The Spanish got into the act when Philip the Handsome married Joanna the Mad (daughter of Ferdinand and Isabella), and Philip therefore inherited the Burgundian possessions--including Holland--as well as the Spanish throne. Their son Carlos became the Holy Roman Emperor Charles V, who was the opponent of Martin Luther.

The Duke of Burgundy, Philip III had established an order of chivalry which he named the Order of the Golden Fleece--a reference to Jason and the Argonauts in Greek mythology. Therefore, his male descendants were each the head of the order as they succeeded to their respective estates. Membership in the order was considered a great prize and honor by members of European aristocracy.

In 1555, Charles V abdicated in favor of his son, Philip II. However, although Philip was the King of Spain, and controlled the largest empire in the world, the German electors, despite all promises of bribes, weren't stupid enough to repeat the mistake they had made in electing his father Carlos. In honor of the ascension of Philip to the throne, the "Spanish" (read, Belgians and Dutch) got up a little war with France, and the most dramatic action took place at St. Quentin in Picardy. The Count of Egmont and William, Count of Nassau, had distinguished themselves in that little war.

The French were as civilized as anyone else in those times, so, having lost the silly little war, they invited the "Spaniards" to come to Paris for a big party. At that party, the Count of Nassau, William, was honored especially, and King Henri II of France confirmed him in the possession (by virtue of his mother) of the Principality of Orange in central France--making William, Count of Nassau, the first William of Orange. Henri then invited William to go hunting with him, and talked about the plans he and Philip were getting together to slaughter a bunch of Protestants. William was smart enough to keep his mouth shut, and even though nominally a Catholic, he warned the Protestant nobility of the Netherlands of the plan. Because kept his mouth shut at the right time, the French named him Guillaume le Taciturne--William the Silent.

There had been an understanding (or at least the aristocracy of the Netherlands thought there had been) that the Inquisition would not be imported into the low countries. But the Spanish grandees sent to the Netherlands threatened the Protestant iconoclasts with the inquisition, and people like Egmont and Count von Hoorn began a movement of open opposition to the impositions of the Spanish.

In mockery of the Order of the Golden Fleece, of which Philip was the head, they created for themselves rich and expensive necklaces such as those worn by the member's of the Order, but where a golden fleece was suspended from necklaces of members of the Order, the Dutchmen and Belgians had the traditional symbols of beggars--the begging bowl, the crutch and a tall felt hat. This was because the Spanish grandees had sneered at them as "beggars," so they wore the title like a badge--literally. That really, really pissed off the Spanish, who were rather humorless at the best of times.

And that was how the Dutch rebels became known as beggars. In particular, they were called the Sea Beggars, where they routinely made monkeys of the Spanish.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 07:32 pm
New!

Improved!

Now with more names!

More categories!

More colours! More chaos!

JUST AS MUCH RAMA!

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/1396/a2kliberals2yz4.png
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 07:32 pm
Green Witch wrote:
Where are you going to put Gus, Gargamel and Kicky? Maybe you need a Bacchanalia circle.

Oh, a Bacchanalia circle is perfect! And that way you'd have a good spot for BPB, too. They'd have fun!

Edit: I forgot Bear is already in a circle--he could be in the overlap between the Bacchanal and the Fighters circle, though, and that would be quite fitting. Smile
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 07:36 pm
Setanta, we ALL should know that the Netherlands didn't have to fight an independence war, and that's why they're not proud of their country and speak all that multilateral liberal gibberish. I LEARNED that from an A2K conservative. Laughing

All this said, there is still a common phrase in Spanish: "Poner una pica en Flandes" (To nail a stake in Flanders), and it means to crown a difficult enterprise, to achieve something overcoming severe difficulties.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 07:46 pm
(For the record, I've added Dys, Fbaezer, BumbleBeeBoogie and Ebrown)

dagmaraka wrote:
i guess it would be nice if organizers, pragmatists and idealists overlapped.. if they did, i think i'd wedge myself in there

Ah, but you are in luck! There is! Right at the top of the screen, where it has Sozobe and now BumbleBeeBoogie too. (Now there's an unexpected combination!)

<squints>

But mebbe I'd have to wedge you in between Soz and the Intellectuals, instead...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 07:49 pm
Green Witch wrote:
I think I'm properly placed.

Ooooh... good point..

Good god, where do I stick Gus, Gargamel and Kicky?

(Now there's a sig line..)

Setanta wrote:
Since this thread is so pointless to begin with . . .

Now, now, dont make me put in a Sourpuss circle in there..

(Thanks for spreading the word about Dutch history tho Cool )
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 07:50 pm
squinney?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 07:55 pm
Put me and Frank Apisa in there somewhere. We are considered liberals by the a2k rightwingers, too.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 08:28 pm
[size=26]NewER![/size]

and

ImprovedER!

YET more names!

YET more categories!

SPARKLY colours! SERIOUS chaos!

still JUST AS MUCH RAMA!

http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/5093/a2kliberals3xw7.png

Now with Gustav, Gargamel and Dagmaraka, or: THE INCREDIBLE TRIO!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 08:29 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Put me and Frank Apisa in there somewhere. We are considered liberals by the a2k rightwingers, too.

oH, eD! (Um, mind the caps). Edgar! Havent got you in there yet, or Frank - or Squinney. But I has to go to bed now...
0 Replies