Clinton goes Neocon (as in Bomb Bomb, Bomb Bomb Iran)

Thomas

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 01:46 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
she's a bad girl all right...

You weren't so appreciative of Fred Thompson when he said similar things. In fact, the last time I saw you, you looked pretty scared because you thought Thompson had a realistic shot at the presidency. (For our correspondents, that was May 2007.)

leave your sense of humor in Germany Thomas? Laughing

Just give me some more time in America, and I, too, will appreciate the hillarity of nuclear anihilation jokes. (Pun intended, even if it's a lame one.)

Setanta wrote:
Thomas wrote:
He didn't give details at the time, but it sounded much like the mission that took out Noriega in Panama.

I understand what you are saying, but it is an infelicitous and portentuous simile--an awful damned lot of Panamanians died.

I know. Hence: "I don't like Obama's proposal either".
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 01:46 pm
It was empty rhetoric. The gutsy broad knows, just as anybody with any sense knows, that Iran will have no nuclear weapons in any foreseeable situation to attack anybody with.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 01:48 pm
cjhsa wrote:

Not only an ally, but also a customer!!!

Certainly that's the reason why the Department of Justice says that an US citizen has been arrested on suspicion of having provided sensitive information to Israeli agents regarding nuclear weapons, fighter jets, air defense missiles ...
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 01:51 pm
Thomas wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
she's a bad girl all right...

You weren't so appreciative of Fred Thompson when he said similar things. In fact, the last time I saw you, you looked pretty scared because you thought Thompson had a realistic shot at the presidency. (For our correspondents, that was May 2007.)

leave your sense of humor in Germany Thomas? Laughing

Just give me some more time in America, and I, too, will appreciate the hillarity of nuclear anihilation jokes. (Pun intended, even if it's a lame one.)

Setanta wrote:
Thomas wrote:
He didn't give details at the time, but it sounded much like the mission that took out Noriega in Panama.

I understand what you are saying, but it is an infelicitous and portentuous simile--an awful damned lot of Panamanians died.

I know. Hence: "I don't like Obama's proposal either".

no problem... we yanks are a patient bunch...
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 01:55 pm
Re: Clinton goes Neocon (as in Bomb Bomb, Bomb Bomb Iran)
Thomas wrote:
Today, Hillary Clinton's line on foreign policy deteriorated from feckless to positively scary. In a last minute effort to secure her lead in the Pennsylavnian primary, she made the followning move:

Reuters wrote:
Hillary Clinton, in her most bellicose comments since the presidential race began, today threatened to obliterate Iran if it launched a nuclear strike against Israel.

Speaking as voters went to the polls in the potentially crucial Pennsylvania primary, she said: "I want the Iranians to know that if I'm the president, we will attack Iran (if it attacks Israel)."

[...]

In an interview with ABC's Good Morning America, she was asked what she would do if Iran attacked Israel with nuclear weapons. She said: "In the next 10 years, during which they might foolishly consider launching an attack on Israel, we would be able to totally obliterate them. That's a terrible thing to say but those people who run Iran need to understand that because that perhaps will deter them from doing something that would be reckless, foolish and tragic."

Source

With Democrats like Clinton, who needs Republicans like Cheney?

Just goes to show... She'll take that 3am phone call but damn, she is NOT in a good mood at 3am.

There are more similarities betwen Clinton and Cheney than I care to count. I could do without the both of them.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 01:57 pm
hell hath no fury like a woman scorned....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 02:01 pm
fishin wrote:
Just goes to show... She'll take that 3am phone call but damn, she is NOT in a good mood at 3am.

Laughing

Yeah, I definitely "whoa"-ed at this one. ("Obliterate? She actually said obliterate?") Plus the thing about Israel having nukes, as george said.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 02:31 pm
fishin wrote:

Laughing

fishin wrote:
There are more similarities betwen Clinton and Cheney than I care to count. I could do without the both of them.

No kidding. <pulls up the left corner up of mouth, and only that one corner, for a grim grin.>
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 02:41 pm
Thomas wrote:
georgeob1 wrote:
Well, the Democrats can always reject her in favor of Obama. Thus we can substitute an invasion of Pakistan for nuclear retaliation against Iran.

1) An invasion isn't the same as total obliteration by a nuclear attack.

2) What Obama proposed was a small-scale operation, narrowly tailored to take out Osama Bin Laden. He didn't give details at the time, but it sounded much like the mission that took out Noriega in Panama.

I don't like what Obama proposed either, but I dislike it much less than what I'm hearing from Clinton today.

Pakistan is nothing like Panama - in terms of population, military capability and its strategic situation among its neighbors. In terms of the absurdity of the two proposed actions, there isn't much to differentiate them. Moreover, there is no such thing as a "small-scale" invasion over the north-western border of Pakistan. Both propositions reveal equivalent levels of absurdity in terms of their intrinsic merit and with respect to the evident cynicism involved in making them.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 02:49 pm
F*ck it . . .

Let's just nuke Islamabad and Karachi, and be done with it.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 02:54 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Thomas wrote:
georgeob1 wrote:
Well, the Democrats can always reject her in favor of Obama. Thus we can substitute an invasion of Pakistan for nuclear retaliation against Iran.

1) An invasion isn't the same as total obliteration by a nuclear attack.

2) What Obama proposed was a small-scale operation, narrowly tailored to take out Osama Bin Laden. He didn't give details at the time, but it sounded much like the mission that took out Noriega in Panama.

I don't like what Obama proposed either, but I dislike it much less than what I'm hearing from Clinton today.

Pakistan is nothing like Panama - in terms of population, military capability and its strategic situation among its neighbors. In terms of the absurdity of the two proposed actions, there isn't much to differentiate them. Moreover, there is no such thing as a "small-scale" invasion over the north-western border of Pakistan. Both propositions reveal equivalent levels of absurdity in terms of their intrinsic merit and with respect to the evident cynicism involved in making them.

Obama didn't propose an invasion over West Pakistan into the rest of the country. The scenario he had laid out was that the US learns about the cave bin Laden is hiding in, and that it's near the Afghan border in West Pakistan Bin. It then starts a search-and-whatever-the-opposite-of-rescue-is operation, I'm guessing maybe a few hundred men, which may or may not succeed in arresting or killing Bin Laden. That's a Panama-sized scenario, a mere extension of things the US is already seems to be doing, and Islamabad already seems to be tacitly tolerating.

It's a bit awkward for me to defend a proposal that I have already said (twice) I don't like.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 02:56 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Only the last sentence, Osso??

Even Setanta acknowledges some semblance of virtue in the others.

Sorry, I ran off to the grocery store.

Well, I'm not a fan of US military action in Pakistan either, though less fully confident about that.

Will go back and reread who said what after I covertly raid the refrigerator.

One of my premises is that every action has an equal and opposite reaction (see Newton), though the manner of reaction isn't always discernable at first.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 03:03 pm
Thomas wrote:
It's a bit awkward for me to defend a proposal that I have already said (twice) I don't like.

I accidentally hit "submit" before I finished editing. This sentence was supposed to finish: ", but this proposal is a hell of a lot less scary than Clinton's today."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 03:14 pm
Goddamnit . . . can't we nuke somebody ? ! ? ! ?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 03:16 pm
What's "scary" about something that won't happen?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 03:17 pm
Setanta wrote:

how about Great Britain.... we'll be wanting the Falklands now what with that oil and all...
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 03:18 pm
Set wrote-

Quote:

You could do a Minderbinder if it was good for business.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 03:18 pm
Ooo . . . i never thought of that . . . we'll need to tell all our online friends first . . . whatever you do, don't tell Spendi . . .
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 03:21 pm
BPB wrote-

Quote:
how about Great Britain.... we'll be wanting the Falklands now what with that oil and all...

You could take them anytime you got your bottle up for it.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 03:23 pm
I hope you don't think the Iron Lady would have sent a task force to see you off do you?
0 Replies