Clinton goes Neocon (as in Bomb Bomb, Bomb Bomb Iran)

Thomas

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 11:19 am
Today, Hillary Clinton's line on foreign policy deteriorated from feckless to positively scary. In a last minute effort to secure her lead in the Pennsylavnian primary, she made the followning move:

Reuters wrote:
Hillary Clinton, in her most bellicose comments since the presidential race began, today threatened to obliterate Iran if it launched a nuclear strike against Israel.

Speaking as voters went to the polls in the potentially crucial Pennsylvania primary, she said: "I want the Iranians to know that if I'm the president, we will attack Iran (if it attacks Israel)."

[...]

In an interview with ABC's Good Morning America, she was asked what she would do if Iran attacked Israel with nuclear weapons. She said: "In the next 10 years, during which they might foolishly consider launching an attack on Israel, we would be able to totally obliterate them. That's a terrible thing to say but those people who run Iran need to understand that because that perhaps will deter them from doing something that would be reckless, foolish and tragic."

Source

With Democrats like Clinton, who needs Republicans like Cheney?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 4,789 • Replies: 68
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 12:09 pm
Eeek!

I'm not sure what to make of that.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 12:30 pm
She's also using images of Osama bin Laden in her campaign commercials against Obama.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 12:39 pm
I'm not sure how this is any kind of departure from US foreign policy in the last sixty years.

The use of WMD will cause prompt, overwhelming use of force.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 12:51 pm
Iraq used weapons of mass destruction against Iran, and not only was there no response in the way of "overwhelming force" from the United States, the inferential evidence is pretty good that we supplied Hussein his nasty little toys. He is also accused of having used them against his own people (that account is disputed, but if Habibi reads this, he'll be in to swear it's the truth, and that i'm peddling conservative propaganda).

Can anyone suggest to me any other examples of weapons of mass destruction being used since we nuked Hiroshima and Nagasaki?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 12:53 pm
Clinton didn't announce prompt and overwhelming use of force. She announced total obliteration. That would, if executed, be a departure from traditional US foreign policy. And a big one at that.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 01:08 pm
she's a bad girl all right...
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 01:09 pm
...but is she black enough...
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 01:10 pm
Well, the Democrats can always reject her in favor of Obama. Thus we can substitute an invasion of Pakistan for nuclear retaliation against Iran.

It is interesting to note the degree of pandering that is occuring among all the candidates. The Dems appear to be leading in this unsavory effort, but that may merely be a result of the the hot competition between Hillary & Obama.

The fact is the Israelis have their own nuclear deterrent, and the last thing we should ever do is announce or even imply that ours is at all involved.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 01:13 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
The fact is the Israelis have their own nuclear deterrent, and the last thing we should ever do is announce or even imply that ours is at all involved.

Amen. Them Jesuits did make some progress with ya, didn't they?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 01:13 pm
I agree with that last sentence, George.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 01:16 pm
Only the last sentence, Osso??

Even Setanta acknowledges some semblance of virtue in the others.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 01:25 pm
I say we've got all these bombs... let's do the whole bunch.... let God sort 'em out...
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 01:30 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

You weren't so appreciative of Fred Thompson when he said similar things. In fact, the last time I saw you, you looked pretty scared because you thought Thompson had a realistic shot at the presidency. (For our correspondents, that was May 2007.)
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 01:36 pm
If a nation attacks us or our allies I expect response in kind.

Don't see how this is a change in policy.

So I guess anyone who gets that is a "neocon"? As opposed to a chickenrat, it seems a compliment.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 01:38 pm
Israel is our ally?

What the f*ck has Israel ever done for the United States?

There sure a lot of conservative retards . . .
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 01:39 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Well, the Democrats can always reject her in favor of Obama. Thus we can substitute an invasion of Pakistan for nuclear retaliation against Iran.

1) An invasion isn't the same as total obliteration by a nuclear attack.

2) What Obama proposed was a small-scale operation, narrowly tailored to take out Osama Bin Laden. He didn't give details at the time, but it sounded much like the mission that took out Noriega in Panama.

I don't like what Obama proposed either, but I dislike it much less than what I'm hearing from Clinton today.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 01:41 pm
Thomas wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

You weren't so appreciative of Fred Thompson when he said similar things. In fact, the last time I saw you, you looked pretty scared because you thought Thompson had a realistic shot at the presidency. (For our correspondents, that was May 2007.)

leave your sense of humor in Germany Thomas? Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 01:41 pm
Thomas wrote:
He didn't give details at the time, but it sounded much like the mission that took out Noriega in Panama.

I understand what you are saying, but it is an infelicitous and portentuous simile--an awful damned lot of Panamanians died.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 01:42 pm
Setanta wrote:
Israel is our ally?

What the f*ck has Israel ever done for the United States?

There sure a lot of conservative retards . . .

Not only an ally, but also a customer!!!
0 Replies