Why did Obama stay in Rev. Wright's church?

revel

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 10:23 am
Mexica wrote:
revel wrote:
Mexica wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:
How ironic (or is it merely projection) that it is the white bigots who see Wright as a bigot.
I'm not all the up to date on current so-called political events, but what did this Rev say that was so controversial?

He said God Damn America as opposed to God bless America after the events of 9/11 and that the government was giving the black race aides. MLK had expressed similar sentiments with less vitriol and I think there is a belief out there about the last. (not that i give credence to the last; but the first when you take the whole context of his speech; he has a point)
What's wrong with saying government is giving blacks aides?
I wish they'd give me one.

Embarrassed I am always sure to embarrass myself at least once a day.

Should have said AIDS.
0 Replies

Mexica

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 10:30 am
Oh, then that's different.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 10:32 am
Re: Why did Obama stay in Rev. Wright's church?
Foxfyre wrote:
Let's just leave it that you don't have a clue what Asherman actually said nor what I tried to say and let it go at that. Thanks for trying I guess.

Take your ball and go home, Foxfyre. I expect no less from you.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 10:35 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
Let's just leave it that you don't have a clue what Asherman actually said nor what I tried to say and let it go at that. Thanks for trying I guess.

Since you presumed to make presumptions of my intent or meaning, all presumptions stated as fact as you see it, may I presume that your post here is intended to order me off the thread? Off of A2K? What?
0 Replies

Mexica

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 10:40 am
Oh lovely...
an e-fight brewing. Razz
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 10:55 am
Mexica wrote:
Oh lovely...
an e-fight brewing. Razz

No chance Mexica. I have a strong distaste for senseless fights either here in this wierd world or in real life.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 11:00 am
Foxfyre wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

Since you presumed to make presumptions of my intent or meaning, all presumptions stated as fact as you see it, may I presume that your post here is intended to order me off the thread? Off of A2K? What?

Presume whatever you want. Given your history, the odds are that you'll be wrong regardless.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 11:21 am
Oh my. The irony! Lecturing someone for nitpicking from Asherman's lengthy post about details of fact while ignoring the central point he was making in a post made to a thread entitled "Why Did Obama Stay in Rev. Wright's Church?" about soundbites that were nitpicked from a lengthy 20 years of sermons while missing the central points of those sermons?

This quote is just priceless. Thanks for the morning belly laugh.

Quote:
Well since you managed to miss just about every point I made while inserting your own assumptions unsupportable by any source or fact, I can see how you would prefer to focus on inconsequential details of error in other people's posts rather than focusing on the intent of their message. You made so many errors in your response here, I don't have time to address them point by point so I won't even take on one.

0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 11:32 am
Butrflynet wrote:
Oh my. The irony! Lecturing someone for nitpicking from Asherman's lengthy post about details of fact while ignoring the central point he was making in a post made to a thread entitled "Why Did Obama Stay in Rev. Wright's Church?" about soundbites that were nitpicked from a lengthy 20 years of sermons while missing the central points of those sermons?

This quote is just priceless. Thanks for the morning belly laugh.

Quote:
Well since you managed to miss just about every point I made while inserting your own assumptions unsupportable by any source or fact, I can see how you would prefer to focus on inconsequential details of error in other people's posts rather than focusing on the intent of their message. You made so many errors in your response here, I don't have time to address them point by point so I won't even take on one.

Ignoring the petty sarcasm Butrfly--you usually don't deal in that kind of stuff--the fact is that several of the main news organizations - CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox have all listened to numerous Jeremiah Wright sermons in their entirety, and ALL have reported that most contain at least some antiAmerican, charges such as Americans intentionally invented AIDS to destroy black people, etc., and angry racist comments all suggesting that white people intentionally keep black people down or such as that. Yes you can find a sermon here and there in which that isn't the case and some of those have been posted on A2K. But the fact that they use some of the clips and comments for illustration may be nitpicking--that is stock in trade for the news and it is done to ALL politicians--but it does not take away from the larger issues presented here.

Nimh has offered a chance for thoughtful members to actually make a case for why Obama would or should stay with such a church and how he is immune to the controversial dogma associated with it. Most members seem to prefer to take shots at those of us who are actually discussing the topic but don't think he would have stayed if he didn't have some empathy or appreciation for the message. And if that is the case, should that make a difference in our choice for President?
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 12:44 pm
dyslexia wrote:
keep in mind that joe is only posting from memory and is not responsible for the accuracy of his "facts". Personally, I remember that George W Bush is a drug addict.

hmmm... and my memory remembers that not one time in any of o'neill's or the other swiftboaters for bullshite "interviews" did they display a single, solitary bit of evidence.

my memory does remember, though, that while o'neill said definitively that there was no way that kerry could have been anywhere near cambodia ( becuae they just did not go there!!!), one of the nixon tapes clearly lets us hear him telling the president that "yes, sir", he, o'neill personally went to cambodia on a frakkin' swift boat.

and of course now, in a similar display of meaningless right wing crap, a new commercial has a the world shattering revelation that hillary...

wears pants suits...

now that is just pathetic.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 12:56 pm
ooooppppssss......

in a previous post, this;

DontTreadOnMe wrote:
(regarding israel) ...and considering that they are a nuclear power, with one of the best trained and motivated militaries, well equipped etc., i have no doubt that they can do so with america outsourcing it's foreign policy to tel aviv.

was supposed to be this;

Quote:
i have no doubt that they can do so without america outsourcing it's foreign policy to tel aviv.

sorry 'bout dat...
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 06:13 am
Here's an opportunity for people to see and hear the man for themselves, not as a bunch of out-of-context soundbites weaved together. You can decide for yourselves if all you've been hearing about him is enough to influence your vote for or against Obama.

Quote:
Bill Moyers' Journal, Friday, April 25th PBS:

The Reverend Jeremiah Wright will be Moyers' guest.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 06:48 am
Yeah that's good Butrflynet.

He'll be on his best behavior and then everybody can just pretend he never said all those racist things that we can so clearly see he did say.

Who are you going to believe, Wright or your own eyes?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 09:10 am
real life wrote:

He'll be on his best behavior and then everybody can just pretend he never said all those racist things that we can so clearly see he did say.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could all just erase our mistakes, sins, slips of the tongue, misspeaks, gaffes, stupid moments etc. etc. etc. by going on the Bill Moyers show or Oprah or somebody and demonstrating the wise, warm, amazing people we all really are?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 09:32 am
Foxfyre wrote:
real life wrote:

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could all just erase our mistakes, sins, slips of the tongue, misspeaks, gaffes, stupid moments etc. etc. etc. by going on the Bill Moyers show or Oprah or somebody and demonstrating the wise, warm, amazing people we all really are?
Yes, I'm wondering how I can get on Moyers program.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 09:33 am
Me too. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 09:39 am
three....
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 09:39 am
Yes, I know. You're frightened of a successful President Obama.

You're frightened that so many people from both sides of the spectrum are coming together to pool their energies and resources to seek change in the status quo.

You're frightened that his leadership skill empowers us to keep trying regardless of all the roadblocks thrown in the way by the winged-ends of both parties.

I understand.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 09:41 am
Butrflynet wrote:
Yes, I know. You're frightened of a successful President Obama.

You're frightened that so many people from both sides of the spectrum are coming together to pool their energies and resources to seek change in the status quo.

You're frightened that his leadership skill empowers us to keep trying regardless of all the roadblocks thrown in the way by the winged-ends of both parties.

I understand.
You talking to me?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 09:42 am
Or me?
0 Replies