Why did Obama stay in Rev. Wright's church?

revel

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 07:52 am
Are you in the sixth grade or what Brandx?
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 07:57 am
revel wrote:
Are you in the sixth grade or what Brandx?

Hey, I didn't make the rules...this is the reality of what is happening and the consequences and failures of Wright and Obama. Obama can forget '08 and 2012 etc., this will not go away ever.

So you can stop the personal ****.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 08:10 am
You may be right in that it will not go away and this is the reality of modern campaigning; but that don't mean we have to play along. If we do then it is a personal decision.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 08:10 am
Brand X wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
Brand X wrote:
It's funny how quick Wright became Obama's 'former pastor'.

Wright became Obama's former pastor when he retired.

Come to think of it, that's not funny at all.

No, he became his former pastor when Wright began mucking up his presidential bid. That is funny.

From the Feb. 11, 2008 edition of the Chicago Tribune:
    In a stirring sermon that weaved the hopefulness of past African generations with dreams for the future, Rev. Jeremiah Wright Jr. preached his final sermon Sunday at Trinity United Church of Christ, leaving a 36-year legacy as pastor and activist in the black community. Despite the howl of a bitter wind, hundreds packed into Trinity, 400 West 95th Street, to hear Wright, 66, a fiery speaker, preach at the church one last time. Wright had served as spiritual mentor to Sen. Barack Obama. In the late 1980s, Obama joined Trinity and would later base his historic speech at the 2004 Democratic National Convention on a Wright sermon called "Audacity to Hope."
Nope, still not funny.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 08:30 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Brand X wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
Brand X wrote:

No, he became his former pastor when Wright began mucking up his presidential bid. That is funny.

From the Feb. 11, 2008 edition of the Chicago Tribune:
    In a stirring sermon that weaved the hopefulness of past African generations with dreams for the future, Rev. Jeremiah Wright Jr. preached his final sermon Sunday at Trinity United Church of Christ, leaving a 36-year legacy as pastor and activist in the black community. Despite the howl of a bitter wind, hundreds packed into Trinity, 400 West 95th Street, to hear Wright, 66, a fiery speaker, preach at the church one last time. Wright had served as spiritual mentor to Sen. Barack Obama. In the late 1980s, Obama joined Trinity and would later base his historic speech at the 2004 Democratic National Convention on a Wright sermon called "Audacity to Hope."
Nope, still not funny.

You can keep posting all the retirement dates you want but it's still funny Obama now refers to him as his former pastor after marrying he and his wife, being the subject of his books, advisor etc.

Wright will never be Obama's former pastor where Obama's political carreer is concerned either. Even Obama admitted it's a legit issue. Obama is a dumbass...he only rejected Wright when he absolutely had to to save his political wet dream.

Wright said this April 2007, "If Barack gets past the primary, he might have to publicly distance himself from me," Wright told the newspaper with a shrug in April 2007. "I said it to Barack personally, and he said, 'Yeah, that might have to happen.' "

Obama said that if Wright hadn't announced his retirement, he "wouldn't have felt comfortable" remaining a member of Trinity, where the senator has worshipped for two decades.

Oh really? Wright was good enough for 20 years but not if it buggers up Obama's candidacy.

I guess it's funny or sad or stupid, take your pick.

They both knew so don't bitch about the resulting effect.

Also funny they're throwing one another under the bus these days.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 08:35 am
Brand X wrote:
I guess it's funny or sad or stupid, take your pick.

My pick? OK, I pick "irrelevant."
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 08:43 am
We'll see what was 'irrelevant' when he loses the general..that is if he can even get passed the Wright conundrum to get nominated.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 08:55 am
If my preacher quit preaching I would call him my former preacher as well; that has been the point to these last few posts.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 09:00 am
revel wrote:
If my preacher quit preaching I would call him my former preacher as well; that has been the point to these last few posts.

You would also if your preacher told you a year ago you might want to distance yourself from him. Which is a point you chose to miss in the last few posts.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 09:17 am
Brand X wrote:
revel wrote:

You would also if your preacher told you a year ago you might want to distance yourself from him. Which is a point you chose to miss in the last few posts.

Did Wright suggest Obama distance himself from him? I hadn't heard that. What I heard is that Obama or his campaign told Wright that he could be a bit 'rough' and it might be best for him to be out of sight during the initial phases. And when that is brought up to Wright, it does feel like he is a bit resentful about that. I'm just reading facial expression and body language there and could be wrong about that of course.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 09:18 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Brand X wrote:
revel wrote:

Did Wright suggest Obama distance himself from him? I hadn't heard that. What I heard is that Obama or his campaign told Wright that he could be a bit 'rough' and it might be best for him to be out of sight during the initial phases. And when that is brought up to Wright, it does feel like he is a bit resentful about that. I'm just reading facial expression and body language there and could be wrong about that of course.

Wright said this April 2007, "If Barack gets past the primary, he might have to publicly distance himself from me," Wright told the newspaper with a shrug in April 2007. "I said it to Barack personally, and he said, 'Yeah, that might have to happen.' "
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 12:43 pm
Obama live with the press to day so angry with Wright after he read the transcript of Wright's latest 'rants' as Obama called it.

He said that when Wright calls Obama's trying to distance himself 'political posturing' that it just isn't true. Gee, has Obama forgotten their convo in April 2007 already?

Obama kept trying to go into his usual platitudes but the reporters stayed on the Wright track...but hey if Obama wants to explain himself they gave him a lot of shots.

He also is angry that Wright doesn't seem onboard with Obama's campaign so their 'relationship has changed'. LOL! Obama was stubling and bumbling the whole time trying to shake Wright off his back...he definitely feels the nomination slipping away.

Obama was so full of **** today the radio I heard it on stunk. Oh...Michelle's angry too.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 12:46 pm
Brand X wrote:
revel wrote:

Umm, dude, this is pretty simple. If the man is retired, how else should Obama refer to him but as "my former pastor"?

Obama might have stopped attending his sermons for political reasons even if he hadnt retired, but yeah - I mean, he did. Retire. So what do you want Obama to call him? Since the man's no longer a pastor, he cant call him "my pastor", can he.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 12:51 pm
nimh wrote:
Brand X wrote:
revel wrote:

Umm, dude, this is pretty simple. If the man is retired, how else should Obama refer to him but as "my former pastor"?

Obama might have stopped attending his sermons for political reasons even if he hadnt retired, but yeah - I mean, he did. Retire. So what do you want Obama to call him? Since the man's no longer a pastor, he cant call him "my pastor", can he.

He called him 'my pastor' twice in todays Wright rebuttal to the press.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 01:03 pm
OK, back to the original topic.

I'm still as mystified as ever about people who say that they just cant imagine how Obama could attend this congregation when he didnt agree with some of the stuff (or even much of the stuff!) Wright was saying.

I find it pretty easy to imagine why he would have, or how he could have - without it meaning that he must secretly agree with all of Wright's radical beliefs, or that it was all nothing but a cynical career move.

Instead of repeating myself, though, let me cite people who said it better than I could, though.

Here's a blog commenter:

Quote:
blackton said:

I think what probably happened with Obama is he was a young mixed race guy searching for his identity, fell in with Wright, outgrew Wright's style and bombastic nature but not his affinity for the church and the people there. It is a pity he didn't have a minister who was a tad more modest.

Seems pretty straightforward.

Here's a more in-depth look, though - and very interesting it is, too. Quite enlightening about Obama's personality and perspective; and an overdue corrective to today's punditing hysteria:

Quote:
Why'd Obama Join Trinity in the First Place?

The question is worth revisiting now that his ex-pastor is threatening his entire campaign.

I've heard two basic theories since the Wright tapes first surfaced in March. The first is cynical: Obama was a black politician in Chicago with an exotic background and intimidating credentials. He needed a home in a black church to gain credibility with his less educated, less affluent, more parochial-minded constituents. Trinity offered him the requisite cred.

The second, not entirely unrelated, theory is psychoanalytical: Obama, as the product of a racially-mixed marriage, in which the black father was almost entirely absent, had spent his whole life groping for an authentic identity. Wright offered Obama both the father and the identity he never had.

The problem with both theories is that they don't answer the question of why this particular church, this particular pastor. Yes, Wright was a prominent figure with a large congregation. But surely there were other pastors and churches that fit that profile. And, in retrospect, probably distinctly less controversial ones.

Which is where this fascinating passage from David Mendell's Obama biography comes in:

Wright earned bachelor's and master's degrees in sacred music from Howard University and initially pursued a Ph.D. at the University of Chicago Divinity School before interrupting his studies to minister full-time. His intellectualism and black militancy put him at odds with some Baptist ministers around Chicago, with whom he often sparred publicly, and he finally accepted a position at Trinity. ... Wright remains a maverick among Chicago's vast assortment of black preachers. He will question Scripture when he feels it forsakes common sense; he is an ardent foe of mandatory school prayer; and he is a staunch advocate for homosexual rights, which is almost unheard-of among African-American ministers. Gay and lesbian couples, with hands clasped, can be spotted in Trinity's pews each Sunday. Even if some blacks consider Wright's church serving only the bourgeois set, his ministry attracts a broad cross section of Chicago's black community. Obama first noticed the church because Wright had placed a "Free Africa" sign out front to protest continuing apartheid. The liberal, Columbia-educated Obama was attracted to Wright's cerebral and inclusive nature, as opposed to the more socially conservative and less educated ministers around Chicago. Wright developed into a counselor and mentor to Obama as Obama sought to understand the power of Christianity in the lives of black Americans, and as he grappled with the complex vagaries of Chicago's black political scene. "Trying to hold a conversation with a guy like Barack, and him trying to hold a conversation with some ministers, it's like you are dating someone and she wants to talk to you about Rosie and what she saw on Oprah, and that's it," Wright explained. "But here I was, able to stay with him lockstep as we moved from topic to topic. . . . He felt comfortable asking me questions that were postmodern, post-Enlightenment and that college-educated and graduate school-trained people wrestle with when it comes to the faith. We talked about race and politics. I was not threatened by those questions." ... But more than that, Trinity's less doctrinal approach to the Bible intrigued and attracted Obama. "Faith to him is how he sees the human condition," Wright said. "Faith to him is not . . . litmus test, mouth-spouting, quoting Scripture. It's what you do with your life, how you live your life. That's far more important than beating someone over the head with Scripture that says women shouldn't wear pants or if you drink, you're going to hell. That's just not who Barack is."
So, if you buy Wright's account--and it rings pretty true to me--it was his intellectualism and social progressivism that won Obama over. Certainly it's hard to imagine that someone like Obama, who came from a progressive, secular background, would have felt genuinely comfortable in a socially conservative, anti-intellectual church. The problem for Obama is that the flip-side of these virtues was a minister with a radical worldview and a penchant for advertising it loudly.

Which, put another way, means that Obama's decision to join Trinity was probably the opposite of cynical. Trinity was the place where, despite the potential pitfalls--and he must have noticed them early on--Obama felt most true to himself.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 01:04 pm
Brand X wrote:

OK, fair enough then.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 04:28 pm
Brand X wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
Brand X wrote:

You must exist in some parallel sphere of reality. Or you are a Faux News viewer.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 04:36 pm
Brand X wrote:
nimh wrote:
Brand X wrote:
revel wrote:

Wright is still listed on the TUCC website as Senior Pastor and others as serving under him.

http://www.tucc.org/pastoral_staff.htm
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 04:52 pm
Obama's 'famous' Philadelphia speech.

Obama said, "I can no more disown [Rev. Wright] than I can my white grandmother".

Well, I guess we know where his grandmother rates in his life now.

Laughing

Yup, the truth hurts don't it, Obama?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 06:04 pm
http://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/bg0429cd.jpg
0 Replies