dyslexia

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 08:26 pm
butrflynet-yes
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 01:13 pm
Is God Real

what a silly question

to get back to the more profound subject of unidimensionality, how many yards are there in a rod, pole or perch? Or how many rods or poles (sorry people of all religions, sexual orientation, genders etc from Poland) or perches are there in a yard, even if its a small one?
0 Replies

Cephus

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 03:38 pm
The Return Of The Zman! wrote:
And i am talking about the supposed "Supreme Being"!!!!!!!!!!!

There are plenty of supposed "Supreme Beings". You're going to have to be a lot more specific than that. Why is the Christian "Supreme Being" any better than that Muslim "Supreme Being" or the Hindu "Supreme Being" or the Akkadian "Supreme Being" or the Incan "Supreme Being"? All of them have exactly the same amount of evidence for their existence: A BIG FAT ZERO.
0 Replies

maliagar

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 03:45 pm
Cephus wrote:
The Return Of The Zman! wrote:
And i am talking about the supposed "Supreme Being"!!!!!!!!!!!

There are plenty of supposed "Supreme Beings". You're going to have to be a lot more specific than that. Why is the Christian "Supreme Being" any better than that Muslim "Supreme Being" or the Hindu "Supreme Being" or the Akkadian "Supreme Being" or the Incan "Supreme Being"? All of them have exactly the same amount of evidence for their existence: A BIG FAT ZERO.

At least the Incas, Akkadians, Hindus, Muslims, and Christians, and everybody else but a small bunch of modern rebels believe that there IS a Supreme Being. And if we start examining the detail of how each culture understands the Supreme Being, new coincidences arise (especially in the Abrahamic traditions).

The evidence is overwhelming: Most of mankind has believed and believes in a Supreme Being.

:wink:
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 03:48 pm
maliagar wrote:
The evidence is overwhelming: Most of mankind has believed and believes in a Supreme Being.

The evidence is also overwhelming that most of mankind has believed that the Earth is a pancake flat object situtated in the center of the UNIVERSE -- and all those lights circle it.

Belief!

That's a great thing to tout!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 03:53 pm
"a small bunch of modern rebels..." Now who could that be referring to? Just when I thought he couldn't get any more absurd.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 03:57 pm
Maliagar again uses fallacy to support his argument. This time he is using an appeal to popularity (i.e. argumentum ad populum ).

He is attempting to posit the popularity of religious beliefs as an argument toward their acceptance.

As Frank so clearly illustrated an argumentum ad populum falls flat. Popularity is no benchmark for accuracy.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 04:01 pm
I took a huge dump this morning....I mean, it was monumental. When all was said and done, it felt so good, I was pretty sure I had given birth to a Supreme Being. I really wanted to believe it, but it turns out, it was just a giant pile of crap.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 04:04 pm
Well, life is a give and take.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 04:19 pm
the dump was most probably the result of eating the supreme bean
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 04:20 pm
True, CodeBorg. I composted it, and the garden will love it, but I didn't bother saying a blessing or anything.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 04:21 pm
Dys, at least it wasn't a jumping bean....that would have been bad.
0 Replies

maliagar

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 05:21 pm

A voice in the wilderness said:

Quote:
The evidence is also overwhelming that most of mankind has believed that the Earth is a pancake flat object situtated in the center of the UNIVERSE -- and all those lights circle it.

Belief!

So predictable an argument... and so useless.

It fails to see one little piece of evidence...

If people thought that the earth was flat, or the center of the universe, it was because.....
The empirical evidence available to them supported that conclusion...
...not faith.
Now, what's the empirical evidence of the Incas, the Akkadians, and everybody else?
And the empirical evidence of the atheists?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 05:31 pm
cavfancier wrote:
I took a huge dump this morning....I mean, it was monumental. When all was said and done, it felt so good, I was pretty sure I had given birth to a Supreme Being. I really wanted to believe it, but it turns out, it was just a giant pile of crap.

Very gnostic. I never thoughht of you as the demiurge, but ya never know...Very Happy
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 05:37 pm
Cavfancier wrote:

For some reason I got this mental image of what's his name in his livingroom, sculpting the mountain from Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Wink
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 05:46 pm
So what are you saying? If you can't prove there is a supreme being than obviously there is none. I would answer in the same vein. If you can't prove that a supreme being does not exist than there must be one. Which leaves us back where we started. Is god real?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 05:47 pm
maliagar wrote:

A voice in the wilderness said:
Quote:
The evidence is also overwhelming that most of mankind has believed that the Earth is a pancake flat object situated in the center of the UNIVERSE -- and all those lights circle it. Belief!

So predictable an argument... and so useless.

It fails to see one little piece of evidence...

If people thought that the earth was flat, or the center of the universe, it was because.....
.The empirical evidence available to them supported that conclusion...

...not faith.

AhhhhÂ….and these silly, poorly thought out words coming from Maliagar -- a man who has often pointed out the folly of "believing" in modern science.

The people "believed" what Maliagar termed "the empirical evidence." Although actually, they "believed" their interpretation of the empirical evidence - not the empirical evidence - and Maliagar's addition of "available to them" does not change that.

The "belief" that the Earth was flat and centered in the UNIVERSE was exactly that - a belief.

Although I will agree with the subtext of what Maliagar wrote -- that their belief that the Earth was flat and centered in the UNIVERSE makes a lot more sense than some of the beliefs he is touting.

By the way, if anyone can get in touch with Maliagar, you can tell him for me that referring to me as a "voice crying in the wilderness" is a very nice touch. Isn't that what they called John the Baptist? Thank him for me.

Also tell him not to feel bad about the fact that I cut out all the dramatic space in his posting when I quoted it. The spacing was trite - better to be used when sharing jokes over the Internet.

I think I improved his comments with the editing.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 06:05 pm
Frank old man
Mind you don't break your arm patting yourself on the back.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 06:07 pm
Thanks for reminding me, Au.

I'll be careful.
0 Replies

Cephus

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 06:12 pm
maliagar wrote:

Mankind used to believe the Earth was flat and the sun rotated around the Earth. We got over that. It's only a matter of time before man gives up the silly God notion as well (and Europe is well on its way, the US is rapidly catching up.)
0 Replies