Sex-Change Operation for Killer?

dlowan

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 03:58 pm
fishin wrote:
dlowan wrote:
It'd be interesting to find out how it works, in practice, having post surgery MTF transexuals in the female prison population.

Even more interesting - How will it work when someone fabricates their gender identity disorder and goes through the MTF process and gets transferred to a women's prison all in an attempt to shorten their prison term?

In this particluar case with Kosilek - he's a habitual liar who's changed his story at every phase (not that that would be unsual for many murders...)

His gender dysphoria had never been mentioned until his trial - 3 years after he killed his wife, when he was 40 years old. While I suppose it is possible that he could have lived with gender dysphoria for years and not let anyone know, the sudden claim along with claims that the dysphoria was causing him to "black out" for periods of time came conviently as a truely off-the-wall defense at his trial.

How would being transferred to a women's prison shorten one's prison term?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 06:46 am
dlowan wrote:
fishin wrote:
dlowan wrote:
It'd be interesting to find out how it works, in practice, having post surgery MTF transexuals in the female prison population.

Even more interesting - How will it work when someone fabricates their gender identity disorder and goes through the MTF process and gets transferred to a women's prison all in an attempt to shorten their prison term?

In this particluar case with Kosilek - he's a habitual liar who's changed his story at every phase (not that that would be unsual for many murders...)

His gender dysphoria had never been mentioned until his trial - 3 years after he killed his wife, when he was 40 years old. While I suppose it is possible that he could have lived with gender dysphoria for years and not let anyone know, the sudden claim along with claims that the dysphoria was causing him to "black out" for periods of time came conviently as a truely off-the-wall defense at his trial.

Being transferred itself wouldn't. The larger picture is that his defense for the killing of his wife is, in a nutshell, "my gender identity disorder made me do it!".

Every time a court orders the prison system to proceed further with his transition it strengthens his argument for his eventual parole hearing. (I believe his first shot at parole comes up in just about 2 years)

If the surgery his ordered, he's transferred, etc... he/she can then present that all as evidence to the parole board to try and have his/her sentence shortened and be released on parole.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 07:04 am
fishin wrote:
dlowan wrote:
fishin wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Being transferred itself wouldn't. The larger picture is that his defense for the killing of his wife is, in a nutshell, "my gender identity disorder made me do it!".

Every time a court orders the prison system to proceed further with his transition it strengthens his argument for his eventual parole hearing. (I believe his first shot at parole comes up in just about 2 years)

If the surgery his ordered, he's transferred, etc... he/she can then present that all as evidence to the parole board to try and have his/her sentence shortened and be released on parole.

Ah...I had thought that but was wondering.

Is there anything around on how he argues that a gender identity disorder makes him less culpable in murder?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 07:15 am
dlowan wrote:

Is there anything around on how he argues that a gender identity disorder makes him less culpable in murder?

I'll look later on today and see if I can find anything more than press clippings. As I recall his argument at his trial was GID led to depression which led to drug abuse which resulted in a black out wherein he killed the wife.

But I'll see if I can find something more substantial... This all happened right at the dawn of the WWW so there might be things like court transcripts somewhere.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 07:19 am
fishin wrote:
dlowan wrote:

I'll look later on today and see if I can find anything more than press clippings. As I recall his argument at his trial was GID led to depression which led to drug abuse which resulted in a black out wherein he killed the wife.

But I'll see if I can find something more substantial... This all happened right at the dawn of the WWW so there might be things like court transcripts somewhere.

Hmmmmmm....interesting.

I had a few murderers in my corrections days who tried that blacked out on drugs/alcohol defence thing.

Didn't work for them.

This all sounds a bit more sophisticated, though.

Thanks Fishin'....for a wacko alcoholic puddytat you're a gem.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 08:55 am
In the joint, the best way to shank a bitch is to first challenge him to a friendly push-up contest, something that requires physical exertion and will wear him out. Then you come up behind him with a shoelace.

What I'm saying is, I'll kill that tranny for three packs of cigarettes.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 11:34 am
There are all sorts of whack-jobs in prisons - with or without GID. How far does the State and/or prison system have to go to take care of their mental or emotional or physical issues?

I would have thought that basic health care was enough. Anything over and above that, given that these people would not have been able to afford anything additional on the outside themselves if they were still free, should not be paid for by the State.

I really don't give a crap what their mental anxieties are. They are in prison to be punished for a crime. They should get only basic medical and that's it. They don't deserve more than that.

While I can see the value in reform, especially if a criminal can be parolled in the future, I just don't understand why the State has any responsibility to pay anything toward an inmates need to become a different sex. He can whine about his emotional state all he wants. We, the tax-payers, should not have to foot the bill.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 02:16 pm
fishin wrote:
dlowan wrote:

I also think that he might be angling to get into an institution which might also work.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 03:30 pm
Robert Gentel wrote:
fishin wrote:
dlowan wrote:

I also think that he might be angling to get into an institution which might also work.

As in forensic mental health facility? After proving temporary insanity or somesuch?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 03:47 pm
Heeven wrote:
There are all sorts of whack-jobs in prisons - with or without GID. How far does the State and/or prison system have to go to take care of their mental or emotional or physical issues?

I would have thought that basic health care was enough. Anything over and above that, given that these people would not have been able to afford anything additional on the outside themselves if they were still free, should not be paid for by the State.

I really don't give a crap what their mental anxieties are. They are in prison to be punished for a crime. They should get only basic medical and that's it. They don't deserve more than that.

While I can see the value in reform, especially if a criminal can be parolled in the future, I just don't understand why the State has any responsibility to pay anything toward an inmates need to become a different sex. He can whine about his emotional state all he wants. We, the tax-payers, should not have to foot the bill.

Well, thing is, as I understand it, that most western countries, at least, accept the need for mental health care for inmates as well as physical health care.

I suppose that might, at least in theory, be different in our two countries, as we have a universal health care system here? (In practice, all kinds of health care is notoriously bad in prisons here...especially mental health care.) But perhaps the state in your country would not be covering hormones etc.? We certainly would here, but gender reassignment surgery, as I understand it, requires that a person pay themselves, with assistance from private medical cover if they can/will purchase it.

Given that gender dysmorphia is an accepted diagnosis, as I understand it, in the DSM IV R, I don't think that prisons, if they DO provide health care to inmates, (which I assume would be regarded as a human right under US law, if not under various UN agreements signed by the US) get to cherry-pick. The "cherry-picking" gate-keepers are the health professionals, not whether individual citizens like, or don't like, a particular diagnosis, or do, or don't, consider its sufferers to be "whining."

The questions here, as I understand it, are:

a. Is this a genuine case?

b. Is it truly necessary for this person's mental health that he receive further treatment?

c. Does the prison system provide surgery if a and b are answered in the affirmative?

The complicating factor here appears to be(not unexpectedly) a possibility that the person in question may be disingenuous in his presentation, and may believe he has legal benefits to obtain from the diagnosis.

And also, of course, the lack of an exact science for figuring out genuineness!!!!!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 04:15 pm
dlowan wrote:
Heeven wrote:

Well, thing is, as I understand it, that most western countries, at least, accept the need for mental health care for inmates as well as physical health care.

I suppose that might, at least in theory, be different in our two countries, as we have a universal health care system here? (In practice, all kinds of health care is notoriously bad in prisons here...especially mental health care.) But perhaps the state in your country would not be covering hormones etc.? We certainly would here, but gender reassignment surgery, as I understand it, requires that a person pay themselves, with assistance from private medical cover if they can/will purchase it.

Given that gender dysmorphia is an accepted diagnosis, as I understand it, in the DSM IV R, I don't think that prisons, if they DO provide health care to inmates, (which I assume would be regarded as a human right under US law, if not under various UN agreements signed by the US) get to cherry-pick. The "cherry-picking" gate-keepers are the health professionals, not whether individual citizens like, or don't like, a particular diagnosis, or do, or don't, consider its sufferers to be "whining."

Pretty much spot on. In the U.S. I believe Estelle vs. Gamble is still the prevailing legal precedent and in that U.S. the US Supreme Court ruled that prisoners must be provided with medical/mental care/treatment. Not providing it was ruled to be a violation of the Constitutional prohibition on "cruel and unusal treatment". They further ruled that the cost of that treatment could not be used as an excuse to withhold treatment.

Quote:

b. Is it truly necessary for this person's mental health that he receive further treatment?

c. Does the prison system provide surgery if a and b are answered in the affirmative?

The complicating factor here appears to be(not unexpectedly) a possibility that the person in question may be disingenuous in his presentation, and may believe he has legal benefits to obtain from the diagnosis.

"a." is certianly a question but there are cloudy issues surrounding "c." as well. As I said, the prisons can't use cost as a factor in denying any medical treatment. They can however, look at things like whether or not they have the ability to provide post-surgical care/treatment and rehabilation. This is where the State of MA has been balking - they don't have any experience with this particualr area. Since they'd have to rely on outside medical facilities for this they have to find a facility that they can secure a convicted murderer in (the standard patients in any hospital surgical ward aren't likely to take kindly to having a convicted murder in the adjacent bed, the medical staff may not be famaliar with security procedures, etc...).

So, under "c.", is the state required to provide the surgery even if they can't secure the prisoner in a medical facility to have the surgery performed? And is the state required to develop a comprehensive program to deal with what post-surgical needs arise? And of course, where does the person stay pre- and post-surgery? This is a one-of-a-kind case but at the same time, if you isolate him/her then you've also violated his/her rights there too.

The lower courts (nationally) have had varying decisions on these issues so there is no standard that can be applied. This particular case is pushing the limits of these questions in MA.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 04:55 pm
fishin wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Heeven wrote:

Pretty much spot on. In the U.S. I believe Estelle vs. Gamble is still the prevailing legal precedent and in that U.S. the US Supreme Court ruled that prisoners must be provided with medical/mental care/treatment. Not providing it was ruled to be a violation of the Constitutional prohibition on "cruel and unusal treatment". They further ruled that the cost of that treatment could not be used as an excuse to withhold treatment.

Quote:

"a." is certianly a question but there are cloudy issues surrounding "c." as well. As I said, the prisons can't use cost as a factor in denying any medical treatment. They can however, look at things like whether or not they have the ability to provide post-surgical care/treatment and rehabilation. This is where the State of MA has been balking - they don't have any experience with this particualr area. Since they'd have to rely on outside medical facilities for this they have to find a facility that they can secure a convicted murderer in (the standard patients in any hospital surgical ward aren't likely to take kindly to having a convicted murder in the adjacent bed, the medical staff may not be famaliar with security procedures, etc...).

So, under "c.", is the state required to provide the surgery even if they can't secure the prisoner in a medical facility to have the surgery performed? And is the state required to develop a comprehensive program to deal with what post-surgical needs arise? And of course, where does the person stay pre- and post-surgery? This is a one-of-a-kind case but at the same time, if you isolate him/her then you've also violated his/her rights there too.

The lower courts (nationally) have had varying decisions on these issues so there is no standard that can be applied. This particular case is pushing the limits of these questions in MA.

Hmmm...I'd be way more convinced by the after care stuff than by the problems of maintaining security in a hospital. Prisoners have to be treated in general hospitals all the time, and, while it ain't pretty, and it DOES present security risks, it is doable, and is done. I would guess it is more a SHOULD it be done that a CAN it be done thing...I doubt they'd hesitate with most surgery.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 05:00 pm
I'd be very surprised to learn that the Commonwealth of Massachusetts does not have a designated high security hospital facility in an existing hospital. For example, the Ohio State University Medical Center supplies this need to the state department of corrections in Ohio. There is a secure ward which is patrolled by uniformed corrections personnel, with a reception/access control station at the entrance to the ward. There are numerous cameras which look at the ward from several angles, which look at the hall at the entrance to the ward, the emergency exit stairwell and the elevator which leads to the hall in front of the ward. The cameras are monitored in the Lieutenant's/Shift Supervisor's office opposite the ward entrance, and in the hospital security control center. (The security systems company i worked for maintained the camera system for the hospital, including that ward.) Perhaps you could find out, Fishin', if there is any such facility in Massachusetts.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 05:14 pm
Bottom line: it's elective surgery and no necessity!
Inmates with drug related issues get medical treatments all the time,
as the sudden withdrawal from drugs can give them severe heart palipitations. I see no problem here for seeking medical care.

Elective surgery should not be taken in consideration, however.
What if female prisoner A is ridiculed by fellow prison inmates over her big nose? Prisoner A becomes so distraught over her big nose that she's seeking
plastic surgery to fight off possible suicide thoughts stemming from being
ridiculed by other inmates. Should she receive corrective surgery?
I think not!
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 08:04 am
I agree with CJ.

GID or not, I would never agree that the State is responsible to pay for this mans hormonal treatments or any kind of elective surgery. I would have a completely different view if this man was rich and wanted to use his own money to complete these treatments and was just looking for permission from the prison authorities to do so. Then I could understand the quandry they have to consider - the security and ensurement of his confinement while such treatments/operations were happening. His expectation and their consideration that the State would even think about paying for this boggles my mind. It's complete and utter rubbish in my opinion.

This is his appearance for crying out loud. He was born a man. I realize he wants very badly to be a woman, but there are limits to what people expect. Just because he is institutionalized does not put the onus on the authorities to provide anything over and above basic medical care.

If the man had a heart attack, I would understand that he be taken care of in a hospital - that is a real medical emergency. His wanting hair laser removal is not!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 11:21 am
dlowan wrote:
Hmmm...I'd be way more convinced by the after care stuff than by the problems of maintaining security in a hospital. Prisoners have to be treated in general hospitals all the time, and, while it ain't pretty, and it DOES present security risks, it is doable, and is done. I would guess it is more a SHOULD it be done that a CAN it be done thing...I doubt they'd hesitate with most surgery.

Setanta wrote:
I'd be very surprised to learn that the Commonwealth of Massachusetts does not have a designated high security hospital facility in an existing hospital. For example, the Ohio State University Medical Center supplies this need to the state department of corrections in Ohio. There is a secure ward which is patrolled by uniformed corrections personnel, with a reception/access control station at the entrance to the ward. There are numerous cameras which look at the ward from several angles, which look at the hall at the entrance to the ward, the emergency exit stairwell and the elevator which leads to the hall in front of the ward. The cameras are monitored in the Lieutenant's/Shift Supervisor's office opposite the ward entrance, and in the hospital security control center. (The security systems company i worked for maintained the camera system for the hospital, including that ward.) Perhaps you could find out, Fishin', if there is any such facility in Massachusetts.

The State does have facilities for treating prisoners. That isn't in question. (Exactly who gets treated where depends on which prison they are in, whether it is a county jail or state prison and what teh specific medical issue is... It could be Norwood Hospital if the prisoner is at Walpole State Prison, Emerson Hospital if they are at the Concord State prison, etc... or in some cases, Mass Generall in downtown Boston for something the smaller hospitals can't deal with.).

A part of Kosilek's complaint though, is that he needs his sexual reassignment surgery done at a facility that specializes in doing exactly that sort fo thing. None of the "normal" hospitals do this sort of thing (why medical staff couldn't be brought to one of those hospitals and use their facilities is a good question though...)

But anyway, Here is a link (90 page PDF file!) to the court's ruling in his 2002 lawsuit and some of the discussion. The current suit is a continuation of much of the exact same issues/discussion. (Much of the info in the court document was unknown to me previously. There has been no mention of his previously having been raped in prison, his suicide attempts and attempt to self-castrate while awaiting trial for murdering his wife in any of the press accounts that I've seen.)
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 11:47 am
Heeven wrote:

This is his appearance for crying out loud. He was born a man. I realize he wants very badly to be a woman, but there are limits to what people expect. Just because he is institutionalized does not put the onus on the authorities to provide anything over and above basic medical care.

If the man had a heart attack, I would understand that he be taken care of in a hospital - that is a real medical emergency. His wanting hair laser removal is not!

This is not an issue of "appearance". You, as a woman would not consider it merely a change in "appearance" if your vagina were replaced with a penis would you? You'd probably want your vagina back. Heck, you may even be distressed to the point you'd kill yourself if you couldn't have it back.

Sex reassignment surgery is not done for aesthetic reasons. It's done to prevent severe mental distress and inability to function in society and its success rate is largely measured in its ability to prevent suicide.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 02:20 pm
I respectfully disagree with you Robert Gentel.

His body was never changed against his will during his birth/growing up years. He has always had this body. It is his choice to change it. It may be a choice caused by great unhappiness and great emotional distress but it is still a choice to change what was naturally there in the first place.

If my vagina were changed with a penis against my will I would be emotionally traumatized.

If I wanted to change my vagina to a penis because I felt that I was emotionally and mentally a man and could not stand to be in a female body any more, I would not expect anyone else other than me to pay for it.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 02:44 pm
Heeven wrote:

His body was never changed against his will during his birth/growing up years. He has always had this body. It is his choice to change it. It may be a choice caused by great unhappiness and great emotional distress but it is still a choice to change what was naturally there in the first place.

Yes, but the point is that it is not a choice about "appearance". It is a choice about one's identity.

Quote:
If my vagina were changed with a penis against my will I would be emotionally traumatized.

And not just because of the violation of your rights, but because your very identity is affected, not just your appearance.

Quote:
If I wanted to change my vagina to a penis because I felt that I was emotionally and mentally a man and could not stand to be in a female body any more, I would not expect anyone else other than me to pay for it.

That's a whole different part of the argument though. I'm still not saying the state should pay for it. I'm not even completely convinced he is not faking it, though fishin's latest document goes some way towards convincing me.

I am merely arguing against the notion that this is a cosmetic surgery for appearance. It simply is not. And no respectable doctor would allow that to be the reason for the procedure to be performed.

The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders requires these 5 conditions to be met for a diagnosis of gender identity disorder and only a quack would perform a "sex-change" operation for any other reason:

• There must be evidence of a strong and persistent cross-gender identification.
  • This cross-gender identification must not merely be a desire for any perceived cultural advantages of being the other sex.
  • There must also be evidence of persistent discomfort about one's assigned sex or a sense of inappropriateness in the gender role of that sex.
  • The individual must not have a concurrent physical intersex condition (e.g., androgen insensitivity syndrome or congenital adrenal hyperplasia).
  • There must be evidence of clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

If it were merely about appearance it would be diagnosed as a paraphilia but not a gender identity disorder. Such paraphilias like transvestic fetishism are not treated with sex reassignment surgery.
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 03:06 pm
So, does the whole thing balance on whether it is decided it is elective or necessary?

If the appropriate people are convinced it's necessary, they gotta make it happen?

He is so playing the system! My opinion. It's not even funny.

Makes me want to puke.
0 Replies