chipping teeth

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2008 03:36 pm
It seems my front teeth are starting to chip and frankly getting very weak! I have an appointment at the dentist on Thursday to see what is going on! Could it be a lack of calcium? Has anyone else had crumbling teeth? I don't want to loose my teeth, I am only 43. Any advice gratefully received.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 19,067 • Replies: 33
No top replies

Miller

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2008 08:59 pm
Re: chipping teeth
Black tulip wrote:
It seems my front teeth are starting to chip and frankly getting very weak! I have an appointment at the dentist on Thursday to see what is going on! Could it be a lack of calcium? Has anyone else had crumbling teeth? I don't want to loose my teeth, I am only 43. Any advice gratefully received.

Do you drink many soft drinks like Pepsi or Coke?

Do you have early onset osteoporosis?

Have you had your blood levels of calcium assayed recently? Are they normal?

When was your last visit to your internist or you dentist?

Have you ever had a bone density scan for evaluation of early onset osteoporosis?

(Just some questions to be raised.)
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2008 10:43 pm
Are you on any medication?
0 Replies

Black tulip

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 01:57 am
Hi

thanks for your replies. No I don't drink fizzy drinks. I have early menopause so I suppose that could account for something. Not on medication and haven't had any blood levels of calcium assessed, only iron levels. Have booked to see dentist on Thursday, will let you know.

thanks X
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 04:16 am
Both of my front teeth are chipped (my dentist asked me if I was opening beer bottles that way. Sadly, it was due to a fork and threading a needle. Er, not at the same time). You can get what are essentially fillings to cosmetically cover them. Plus the dentist will probably tell you to cut down on citrus.

I got my fillings about 2 years ago and haven't had a problem since.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 04:17 am
Wernt you taking something to help you sleep a little better?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 04:32 pm
Black tulip wrote:
Hi

thanks for your replies. No I don't drink fizzy drinks. I have early menopause so I suppose that could account for something. Not on medication and haven't had any blood levels of calcium assessed, only iron levels. Have booked to see dentist on Thursday, will let you know.

thanks X

Low estrogen levels could be a factor.
0 Replies

Black tulip

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 01:06 am
Hi dadpad, your right forget I had been taken sleeping tablets but haven't had any for at least 2 weeks.

Miller, I did wonder if it was to do with the change.

X
0 Replies

solipsister

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 01:56 am
grindingly obvious
0 Replies

jodie34

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 11:32 am
Black Tulip

I was wondering if maybe you grind your teeth at night while sleeping.
I have heard of stress and anxiety causing problems like this. Most of the time a person don't realize their doing it. I know you have been through a lot with losing your husband.
0 Replies

Black tulip

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 04:07 am
Hi Well Jodie you were right, the dentist said I am grinding my teeth and keeping them clamped shut during sleep due to stress. She has applied acid and filled them for the moment.

thanks to you all for advice. X
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 02:31 pm
Black tulip--

Good Women are capable of the damnest counter-productive coping strategies, aren't we?

You grit your teeth and endure. I shift the load on my back and endure. All we need is a Good Woman with a nervous gut and we'd have a full set.

Has your dentist suggested a retainer?

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Black tulip

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 03:18 pm
Noddy how right you are! Am certainly gritting mine and holding your back for you.

Yes they have mentioned a retainer but have asked to wait a bit and see if I can try and relax! yeah I know fat chance I have and you but we are women and women are strong!

X
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 04:21 pm
Black tulip--

Under the circumstances, I think you want to be strong, resolute and firm with the dentist. Unexpected, instant widowhood is not a ephemeral irritant.

(I first wrote "passing irritant" but the English language is a dangerous animal).
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 10:10 pm
Good luck... Laughing
0 Replies

jodie34

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 08:00 am
Black Tulip

Glad to hear your problem with your teeth was diagnosed. Stress can cause so many health issues. Hope you are doing OK.
0 Replies

Black tulip

Reply Sat 10 May, 2008 03:59 pm
Well teeth still chipping slightly, have a dental appointment in June! Relax is just not fitting in with my life at the moment, it just go, go, go with no light at the end of the tunnel!

So will just have to accept I will have chipped teeth! Sad
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 10 May, 2008 05:58 pm
You could cover your front teeth with porcelain veneers, Black tulip.
Porcelain is strong and it will sustain through any grinding. Perhaps
you should discuss this with your dentist when you see him next.
0 Replies

Black tulip

Reply Sun 11 May, 2008 02:09 pm
Cheers CJ that is something I did not think of Thanks X
0 Replies

myheartisyours

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 03:24 pm
I'm only 18 and I seem to be pretty healthy and strong, but last month, while eating a pancake, my two bottom chipped a little! I asked my dentist and she doesn't know why that would happen. I was eating with a plastic fork too, so it couldn't be the fork. And it didn't chip dramatically and really noticablely, but I do still feel the rough ridges where it chipped.
0 Replies