What will this Product do for/to Relationships?

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 01:04 am
Quote:
By Ylan Q. Mui
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, March 29, 2008; Page D01

For years, women have been able to go to the drugstore to answer a question: pregnant or not? Now science has taken testing a step further, and those same drugstore shelves are stocking kits to answer another, equally pressing question: daddy or not?

The Identigene DNA paternity test was rolled out at Rite Aid stores across the country this month and sells for $29.99 -- plus $119.99 for laboratory processing. Identigene promises results in three to five days that are at least 99 percent accurate.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/28/AR2008032803511.html?hpid=moreheadlines

The studies suggest that 10-18% of the time when married men think their wife gave birth to their child in fact the child was fathered by another man. Will husbands routinely check the children their wives give birth too? What will happen if they find out they are not the bio father? I'd give an opinion if I had one.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,444 • Replies: 28
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 10:37 am
The fact that the results are not legally admissable makes me think that it's a waste of $140 ($20 for the test and $120 for the processing).
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 11:47 am
It's a pretty sad commentary that something like this will be used within a family...
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 11:51 am
Since this test has been available online for years, what difference does it make to sell in drug stores?

All that does is provide for earnings for the company, tapping a new market.

More people will buy the test, but they are the same people who doubted the paternity of the child in the first place. That has already had its effect on the relationship

That's my opinion.

hawkeye, could you please site where you got that information about 10-18% of married men....etc?

I got down to googling... 10 to 18% married men....with no results. What study(s) suggest this?

Also, if 10% to 18% of married men who think they are the father of their wifes child are not, what is the % of married men who think they are NOT the father of their wifes child, but in fact are?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 12:06 pm
Chai wrote:
Since this test has been available online for years, what difference does it make to sell in drug stores?

All that does is provide for earnings for the company, tapping a new market.

More people will buy the test, but they are the same people who doubted the paternity of the child in the first place. That has already had its effect on the relationship

That's my opinion.

I dunno. Having the test stiing there on a store shelf may lead to more impulse buys. Plus, if it can be bought for $30 then it's easy to pay cash for it and leave no credit card transaction behind for the woman to discover later. The test could be done without the woman's knowledge at all much more easily.

Quote:
hawkeye, could you please site where you got that information about 10-18% of married men....etc?

I got down to googling... 10 to 18% married men....with no results. What study(s) suggest this?

Also, if 10% to 18% of married men who think they are the father of their wifes child are not, what is the % of married men who think they are NOT the father of their wifes child, but in fact are?

I recall seeing the 10% number thrown about from one UK study. The majority of studies tend to peg the number as being just below 4% though.

Here's an MSN story on one such incident:
http://men.msn.com/articlemh.aspx?cp-documentid=4725722
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 12:44 pm
This test has been available for awhile, but at a much higher price point and you needed to order it. The impulse buy, the low price....seems to me that will cause it to be used more often. But maybe not, maybe guys will not want to use it because they want to trust their wives, no matter how cheap and easy it is to find out. And how about kids secretly getting DNA from "dad" and seeing if they are there bio dad? Are we there yet?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 12:44 pm
Quote:
As in most paternity tests, users must submit samples of DNA in the form of cheek swabs from the mother, child and purported father, to a laboratory for examination

The mother has to submit a sample too so the chances of her not knowing what is going on is pretty slim.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 12:50 pm
boomerang wrote:
Quote:
As in most paternity tests, users must submit samples of DNA in the form of cheek swabs from the mother, child and purported father, to a laboratory for examination

The mother has to submit a sample too so the chances of her not knowing what is going on is pretty slim.

OH, OK.....I did not catch that.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 12:59 pm
boomerang wrote:
Quote:

The mother doesn't have to submit a sample. Identigene strongly recommends that the mother be included because it provides a more conclusive result but it isn't required.

They sell kits for including the mother or not.
http://www.dnatesting.com/paternity/
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 01:08 pm
The tests could be inconclusive, if the mother's DNA is not submitted

From your site, fishin'

Quote:
In some cases, the matches between an alleged father and child provide an inconclusive result. In such instances, IDENTIGENE requests DNA samples for the biological mother. If she is unavailable, the test result remains inconclusive. With the mother, DNA paternity testing almost always provides a strong, conclusive result. Even when results are conclusive, including the mother further strengthens the DNA test conclusion.

And here it shows clearly why both biological parents should submit to
the test

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/5646/picture1rs7.png
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 01:14 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
The tests could be inconclusive, if the mother's DNA is not submitted

Precisely.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 01:47 pm
Chai wrote:

?

THe numbers are all over the place, but there is one that says 4%. Not all are measuring the same thing, some are the chance of a particular child not being the husbands, others are of husbands who have at least one child whom they are not the bio father. There is also a difference the knowledge of the husband, some are trying to get to the number who think they are the bio dad but are not, others just who the bio dad is.

I amend my number to 4-18%, Those who think they are the bio dad but are not.
0 Replies

SULLYFISH66

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 03:39 pm
It's simply trying to cut out the lawyer, Friend of the Court, and the hassle of waiting for the results from a government lab.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 03:51 pm
SULLYFISH66 wrote:
It's simply trying to cut out the lawyer, Friend of the Court, and the hassle of waiting for the results from a government lab.

You seem to be implying that anyone who uses the test will be already looking to get out of the relationship. My concern is that guys who think that they are in a stable relationship will test "just to be sure" now that it is easy and relatively cheap to do so.

Up till now most of the time the "dad" has not been told that he is not the Bio father because the test was run for some other purpose, it was by accident that it was found out that paternity had been misattributed, and health care professionals have chosen not to pursue the matter in most cases. It seems likely that cheap and easy testing will blow the lid off of a situation that has existed but been largely hidden.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 06:47 pm
Me?
I don't see buying a DNA test as an impulse buy.

I'm thinking 4% sounds much more realistic. People have affairs, screw around but I honestly don't know who has that kind of time on their hands.

Funny, last week I was in this meeting with 4 women, besides me. I don't remember how it came up, but someone made the comment that if she had any spare time, she sure wouldn't waste it having an affair. We all laughed and agreed. We ranged in age from mid 20's to 50 something, either having no kids, or grown ones that'd left home. None of us had the time.

Who ARE these women running around getting pregnant by other men? Send them to me, I'll put them to work.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 07:20 pm
A site that compiles what numbers we have.....

http://www.childsupportanalysis.co.uk/analysis_and_opinion/choices_and_behaviours/misattributed_paternity.htm
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 08:16 pm
Chai wrote:
Me?
I don't see buying a DNA test as an impulse buy.

I think it's much less of an issue for women in general. There isn't much opportunity for doubt about whether or not a child is your's and there isn't any way for a guy to deceive you into thinking that you weren't really preggers with your own child. Wink
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 08:16 pm
Unless of course, the woman is REALLY, REALLY gulible. Razz
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 08:23 pm
perhaps a virgin birth..
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 10:51 pm
As they said, it did happen before....Wink