affairs are not always black/white when kids are involved...

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 07:30 pm
LG, I am jumping out, this feminine emotional stuff that i enrage is not going to be helpful to you.

Do what is right for you, don't get talked into anything you don't want to be talked into by people who know almost nothing about your life.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 07:42 pm
Time for my yearly eye rolling emoticon. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 08:04 pm
lol. Special occasion, eh.

By the by, Osso, your post was great.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 08:13 pm
(I'm changing my mind back to where I started. I think he's a misogynist first and a mechanistic thinker second. Well, we'll see).)
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 09:14 pm
Hack - the poor girl came here looking for some help. Is it inconceivable that women are supporting her simply because WE feel this is going nowhere? Is it inconceivable that women can support men in the same position? Do you need to ascribe to us your 'special' views on why women support one another?

In another thread, I believe you were talking about racism and you were saying not all blacks are the same anymore than all whites are the same. Well, ditto for women. Some wouldn't give a damn; others would. We are not all the same, even though you continue to think and project that we are.

So get a bloody grip. People come here and ask for insight, advice, an ear, whatever. It is given. Simple as that. There are as many opinions as there are posters. We are not feeling threatened that our men will cheat and we would like there to be fewer women for them to cheat with! That is just so ludicrous I can't begin to discuss it.

It seems to me you have your head screwed on backwards, Hack. Maybe you should stick to the political threads - unless you like this, that is. And that's a whole 'nother story, isn't it?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 03:57 am
Re: affairs are not always black/white when kids are involve
LostGirl811 wrote:
..... I don't think they have sex very often....

That's not necessarily the case. The older a woman gets (and a man, for that matter), the more tries it takes to make a pregnancy. Not that it doesn't happen on the first shot sometimes but often it requires effort, time and patience. As, in you've heard of people "trying to have a baby", right? It's because it doesn't happen overnight for a lot of people, and the chances of it happening overnight get slimmer and slimmer as we age.

Face it, hon, this guy enjoys having his wife around to produce, care for and raise his children, and you around for the thrill.

I'm sorry this is happening; I can tell that you are attached. But you need to unattach yourself because this will not end well for you. Even if you do get him, you honestly think he's not going to try this again if he gets married to you? If you had been the one who'd met him first, guess what? It would have been his current wife that he'd be stringing along, and you'd be the one he'd be complaining about, and claiming that he got no nookie from.

I'm sorry if that's harsh but that's what tends to happen in these situations.
0 Replies

LostGirl811

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 04:56 am
Re: affairs are not always black/white when kids are involve
jespah wrote:
LostGirl811 wrote:
..... I don't think they have sex very often....

That's not necessarily the case. The older a woman gets (and a man, for that matter), the more tries it takes to make a pregnancy. Not that it doesn't happen on the first shot sometimes but often it requires effort, time and patience. As, in you've heard of people "trying to have a baby", right? It's because it doesn't happen overnight for a lot of people, and the chances of it happening overnight get slimmer and slimmer as we age.

Face it, hon, this guy enjoys having his wife around to produce, care for and raise his children, and you around for the thrill.

I'm sorry this is happening; I can tell that you are attached. But you need to unattach yourself because this will not end well for you. Even if you do get him, you honestly think he's not going to try this again if he gets married to you? If you had been the one who'd met him first, guess what? It would have been his current wife that he'd be stringing along, and you'd be the one he'd be complaining about, and claiming that he got no nookie from.

I'm sorry if that's harsh but that's what tends to happen in these situations.

Perhaps....but they were only 30 years old when they conceived their last kid, that's not terribly old. And I know they weren't trying, trust me, they were in the midst of trying to buy a house, she doesn't work, and I overheard him talking to one of his friends complaining about how this pregnancy was unintended and at a bad time for them financially. It only takes one time to get pregnant sometimes. It's not just me he says things to, he talks to mutual friends of my and his and they tell me the same thing he tells me. He loves his wife, but he's not in love with her. He loves having a stable family unit, but for some reason feels compelled to come back to me over and over. etc etc. I'm not trying to defend, or maybe I am, but I just want to express why this is difficult. I've met met before who were married and claimed to love their wives but I could tell they were full of **** and didn't care that they were cheating , but with him I can tell he genuinly hates the situation and having to be dishonest, and I know he's never done this before, or since with anyone else. And who knows, maybe if me and him were together he wouldn't cheat....

Listen, I had a long term boyfriend once for over three years, I cared about him deeply, loved him, really I did, but I was not IN love with him, I felt there was this spark missing between us. i didn't know how to break it off with him, when I tried once he broke down crying and begging me not to, and I relented. i ended up cheating on him, and didn't feel good about it, but I know why I did it and it's because I deep inside didn't feel the right connection with him as a life partner, despite genuinly caring about him. I know that had he been, for example, someone like this other man, and the way I feel about him, I would never cheat , because I feel differently about him from the beginning. Some people you feel that spark with, and some you stay with out of sheer comfort, and too often I think people get married because they are comfortable with the person rather than in love with them. for some people that works, for others they learn that it doesn't. He told me once he married his wife because "she felt like home". It makes me wonder if maybe it's not a coincidence that the Irish guy new to this country met and married the nice irish-american girl who reminded him of home.

Whatever, Im just babbling. Thanks for listening.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 05:45 am
LostGirl--

Is he telling his wife the truth about his relationship with you?

No.

Is he telling you the truth about his relationship with his wife?

Probably not.

He likes his continental lifestyle with both a loving wife & family and a loving mistress. What does he tell himself? Probably, "I'm a very clever fellow. I'm highly sexed and need two women--besides, I'm only breaking my vows with one of them."
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 06:12 am
Over the years, (and there have been many), I have noticed sadly, a common scenario. A married man meets a single gal, and they start an affair. He can't (or won't) leave his wife because of the kids, finances, etc.

Then the time arrives when he is able to break away from his marriage. And he dumps the mistress, and marries a third woman. I have seen this too many times, to believe that it is a coincidence.

I also believe that there are a number of reasons that men take mistresses. One is for the thrill of the forbidden. The other is that their marriage has problems, and the husband uses the mistress as a "escape valve". In other words, the mistress is keeping the marriage together.

You deserve better than being the "other woman".
0 Replies

LostGirl811

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 09:40 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Over the years, (and there have been many), I have noticed sadly, a common scenario. A married man meets a single gal, and they start an affair. He can't (or won't) leave his wife because of the kids, finances, etc.

Then the time arrives when he is able to break away from his marriage. And he dumps the mistress, and marries a third woman. I have seen this too many times, to believe that it is a coincidence.

I also believe that there are a number of reasons that men take mistresses. One is for the thrill of the forbidden. The other is that their marriage has problems, and the husband uses the mistress as a "escape valve". In other words, the mistress is keeping the marriage together.

You deserve better than being the "other woman".

Pheonix, I know I deserve better, trust me. I just don't HAVE any better options right now so it's hard to turn him away and forget about my feelings for him. he might be using me as an "escape valve", but I'd say he does that for me as well in a way....like I said before, I hate nearly everything abotu my life right now, aside from my family. I hate my job, school stresses me out to no end because between work and school I am out of my house upwards of 18 hours a day, plus finding time to study outside of that, plus all my other responsibilities, I barely (and barely, I mean pretty much never) see friends anymore, and sometimes Im not sure I even have friends anymore. i feel lonely, depressed (clinically I have been depressed for a while...meds don't help much... *sigh*) and I basically, with the exception of my family, hate everything abotu my life. I wake up every day, go to a job I hate, struggle to fit in school that I don't even know if I want anymore, come home to my empty apartment, go to sleep, wake up at 5 in the morning and do it all over again. I have no reprieve, nothing. The solitary moments i spend with him are the only relaxation I get lately, and strangely enough I'm a mental health professional so am acutely aware of all my behaviours, but that doesn't make them any easier to handle I'm afraid....

And believe me, for the past four years I have desperately tried to find a man to make me forget him. I dated a couple that I really liked, unfortunately they both lived in the UK. And to tell the truth, almost every guy I've dated since I met this married man, are plainly attempts on my part to find his unmarried twin- they all look like him, are from the same country as him, sound like him, act like him, but alas, are not him.....and they never work out. It's almost an obsession trying to find someone else that I feel measures up to him in how I feel about him. It's become almost a joke with family and friends that I don't date American guys anymore lol. Every single one in the past 4 years has been from the UK, except unfortunately dont' find too many of those on this side of the pond and the ones I have found just didn't work out.

what can i say. Maybe Im a huge moron (entirely likely), and stubborn, and an emotional masochist of sorts. i know i deserve better, but what good is it to know you deserve better, when you can never FIND better? Alone, alone , alone....that's the only place I see myself.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 09:41 am
A couple of points -

- I am sometimes taken aback by the "other woman" (or possibly man) attitude they have some kind of equal right to the heart of the fellow in the marriage. Sort of a mental home invasion. I see why it happens; it is a kind of solipsism where one isn't really thinking much past one's own view, or that of the 'beloved', but it is a little disconcerting.

... and secondly, I keep reading, not just in this current situation, but in many posts on a2k, "they're just not in love anymore, even though they do love each other". What do all these posters think, that people stay in the throes of the infatuation stage throughout a marriage, which is by definition a long proposition? "In love" deepens over time to another whole plane of love. Well, sometimes it doesn't, in which case it is for the couple to solve that or split, or figure out how to deal with staying.
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 04:10 pm
Cliche, but there is a hell of a big difference between "ALONE" and "not in a relationship right now; single".

It seems like you are terrorified to death of being "alone".

Hell, it ain't that bad. Seriously! Those are some of the best times ever.

I know for myself, I had no chance in hell of meeting a nice decent guy until I had that time alone to get myself settled up and content with the fullness of MY life, and not trying to suck some sort of excitement and security out of being with someone - anyone.

Is this guy...Anyone?

Do you really know him?

Right now you probably believe you do, right? Yup, he shares all these intimate things with me, I've known him for years, and we've got this big secret that he doesn't even tell him wife!.

Now it's my time not to be too harsh, but to try and wake you up. There is nothing "Special" about being the one he badmouths and betrays his wife to. < and that is what he is doing!

None of what he is doing is a reflection of you, and excuse me, but I think it takes just a wee bit of arrogance to figure you are somehow special and an exception when all evidence proves otherwise!!

You, he, and the wife are no different than the rest of us.

You are caving into what you want at the moment, immediate gratification and damn the consequences.

The whole thing is so run of the mill - no different than watching a junkie try to rationalize stealing from my purse to get the next fix!

Think of it that way...it's addictive thinking, this wanting to be with him and having a billion excuses for doing it....

Stop the excuses and face yourself. That's where the real love starts to happen.

Sorry to be cheesy, but it's true. This isn't about anyone but the troubles inside YOU. There will be there with or without him. It's up to you to get a grip.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 04:24 pm
Definitely, to mushypancakes, re the thing about being alone.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 04:34 pm
ossobuco wrote:
A couple of points -

- I am sometimes taken aback by the "other woman" (or possibly man) attitude they have some kind of equal right to the heart of the fellow in the marriage. Sort of a mental home invasion. I see why it happens; it is a kind of solipsism where one isn't really thinking much past one's own view, or that of the 'beloved', but it is a little disconcerting.

... and secondly, I keep reading, not just in this current situation, but in many posts on a2k, "they're just not in love anymore, even though they do love each other". What do all these posters think, that people stay in the throes of the infatuation stage throughout a marriage, which is by definition a long proposition? "In love" deepens over time to another whole plane of love. Well, sometimes it doesn't, in which case it is for the couple to solve that or split, or figure out how to deal with staying.

On my first point, I'll admit I don't think of my statement as a rule. Lives differ, and I think I was too quickspoken on that. But as a response to the majority of women, and it's usually women, posting on a2k on this matter, I'll go with what I said.
0 Replies

LostGirl811

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 10:06 pm
mushypancakes wrote:
Cliche, but there is a hell of a big difference between "ALONE" and "not in a relationship right now; single".

It seems like you are terrorified to death of being "alone".

Hell, it ain't that bad. Seriously! Those are some of the best times ever.

I know for myself, I had no chance in hell of meeting a nice decent guy until I had that time alone to get myself settled up and content with the fullness of MY life, and not trying to suck some sort of excitement and security out of being with someone - anyone.

Is this guy...Anyone?

Do you really know him?

Right now you probably believe you do, right? Yup, he shares all these intimate things with me, I've known him for years, and we've got this big secret that he doesn't even tell him wife!.

Now it's my time not to be too harsh, but to try and wake you up. There is nothing "Special" about being the one he badmouths and betrays his wife to. < and that is what he is doing!

None of what he is doing is a reflection of you, and excuse me, but I think it takes just a wee bit of arrogance to figure you are somehow special and an exception when all evidence proves otherwise!!

You, he, and the wife are no different than the rest of us.

You are caving into what you want at the moment, immediate gratification and damn the consequences.

The whole thing is so run of the mill - no different than watching a junkie try to rationalize stealing from my purse to get the next fix!

Think of it that way...it's addictive thinking, this wanting to be with him and having a billion excuses for doing it....

Stop the excuses and face yourself. That's where the real love starts to happen.

Sorry to be cheesy, but it's true. This isn't about anyone but the troubles inside YOU. There will be there with or without him. It's up to you to get a grip.

mushy,

he doesn't badmouth his wife. he doesn't talk about her at all to me, aside from four years ago when we first met, since we started the affair, he's never said anything about her other than when she almost found out about us and he told me she was pissed at him. But he's never said a bad word about her.....he said there's no spark between them, but that's it. He actually says rather nice things other her otherwise, or used to, since he doesn't mention her to me now, as she would for obvious reasons be an awkward conversation topic and i do not bring her up. He doesnt hate her, he loves her, he's not in love with her.

I never tried to say that me and him are some special and unique situation. This happens to a million people every day. But people are different and you can't say they are all the same. You can't say all married men who cheat are assholes or that all the women they cheat with are deluding themselves that there is love there. Yes, dishonesty is not normally a good thing, but then again, it's not always a bad thing.

His wife, whether she chose to ignore what she almost found about about long ago, or whether she believed it wasn't true, is living in blissful ignorance that her husband isn't happy with their marriage. Im not saying she made him cheat, but dont you think when things like this come to light you should wonder, "what is wrong with our relationship that he would do this?" she didn't bother, she just ignored it. Not their family, mind you, they have normal, happy family outings and all that stuff, but i guarantee you that after two years of resisting me, he would not have given in again and started the affair again if he was happy with her. People who are happy with their relationshisp with thier spouses, do not cheat. That's it. He loves his children, he loves his wife like you love a good friend, like you love the mother of your children, he loves the idea of living at home with his children and that they live with both of their parents. the family relationship and the personal relationship between husband and wife are two totally different things and people often forget that parents are also human beings that need an adult connection that works to be a happy marriage!

Why does everyone always seem to think that it is so black and white, so easy? "cheating is wrong, if you do it you are a deceitful, sociopathic liar, asshole, etc etc". For god's sake, just because you got married when you were 25, does that mean you made the right decision?, and even if you idn't , too bad, live old and die with it? Just because you happen to have children, does that mean that's it? People have to struggle between what is the "right" thing to do, between the love for their family, their children, and then the struggle for them as human beings, as men and women. Just because you have kids doesn't mean you lose your identity and don't think that saying "well, you made your bed so lie in it" makes it any easier to deal with. It doesn't. One day you children will grow up, and you will be in your fifties, maybe, and you will look at this person you are still married to and have no feelings for anymore, and think that for the rest of your life you are living with a good friend, a roomate, and that you missed on realy loving someone.

I dont know what Im babbling anymore, im so tired of everything.....I didnt come here for people to tell me I was right or wrong, that is irrelevant. What I struggle with is the thought that someone I am so vastly compatible with is unavailable to me fully because it was "wrong time, wrong place".

I suppose I just have to try to believe that everything happens for a reason. My parents both cheated on each other and split up after 12 years f marriage, when me and my sisters were all not even teenagers yet, and it was hard as hell on me , but had they not split up, my mother woudlnt have met her current fiance, and I wouldnt have my little brother and little sister who I love with all my heart and who she had with this other man. Or another situation I know, where a man and woman, both married to other people, had an affair for years. They both had children in their marriages. Eventually they divorced their spouses and married each other, and lived together, madly in love, until the day the husband died at the age of 83. I saw in this funeral watching his widow, who had long ago been just his mistress, who maybe had other people telling her she was deluding herself and that they were both being selfish, but you know what? This man loved her until the day he died. They had met other people and have other families first, and then realized they really loved each other.

It doesn't always work out the easy, happy way for everyone. You don't always meet the right person for you when you're single and free of baggage. Who knows if this is the man I am suppose to end up with.... i will never ask him to leave his family for me, but I hate to hear from everyone that they know with certainty, despite not knowing me or him, that it is all bullshit and all we want is immediate gratification and f**k the consequences. It's not always that bloody simple.

Some people ARE sociopathic assholes and I wonder why they bother with monogamous relationships, but others had good intentions when they got married. You cannot control feelings, thats it.

Im going to get alot of sh*t for this posting Im sure, but hell, its all about the friendly arguments right? :-) cheers all
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 10:18 pm
Lostgirl, I really liked your thread. Sometimes you do hear of true love at the wrong time that turns out right later. You're absolutely right. And people make decisions at all ages that turn out later to be the wrong ones. So, yes, you make a lot of good points.

I guess where I was coming from is for you to decide if this will happen for you. I'm not a believer that just because you signed a contract you're stuck for the rest of your life. If this man wants to leave his family because he totally loves you, then that's something he has to decide.

I really do feel for you in this situation. Like you said, maybe he's the right person, but at the wrong time. I suppose what I'm saying is that if he doesn't seem like he has intentions of leaving, then what are you doing? I'd hate to see you spending your life hanging around, waiting for something that may never happen. You hear of people like that, too. But that's for you to work out.

That's why I say if it's possible for you to do this, to get on with the rest of it. Don't get stuck in a rut, especially when it's emotion-based. Take a time out, look at this with some perspective and then decide what to do.

No moral tone or anything here, ok? Just some perspective. Sometimes you're so thick in it you can't distinguish things anymore. Take a time out, if you can, and try to see it through new or fresh eyes. And deep down, you already know the answer, don't you? You do.
0 Replies

LostGirl811

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 10:39 pm
Mame wrote:
Lostgirl, I really liked your thread. Sometimes you do hear of true love at the wrong time that turns out right later. You're absolutely right. And people make decisions at all ages that turn out later to be the wrong ones. So, yes, you make a lot of good points.

I guess where I was coming from is for you to decide if this will happen for you. I'm not a believer that just because you signed a contract you're stuck for the rest of your life. If this man wants to leave his family because he totally loves you, then that's something he has to decide.

I really do feel for you in this situation. Like you said, maybe he's the right person, but at the wrong time. I suppose what I'm saying is that if he doesn't seem like he has intentions of leaving, then what are you doing? I'd hate to see you spending your life hanging around, waiting for something that may never happen. You hear of people like that, too. But that's for you to work out.

That's why I say if it's possible for you to do this, to get on with the rest of it. Don't get stuck in a rut, especially when it's emotion-based. Take a time out, look at this with some perspective and then decide what to do.

No moral tone or anything here, ok? Just some perspective. Sometimes you're so thick in it you can't distinguish things anymore. Take a time out, if you can, and try to see it through new or fresh eyes. And deep down, you already know the answer, don't you? You do.

Hey Mame,

thank you so much for being objective about it....or is it subjective, i always mix up the two ;-) either way, thanks for not judging.

I think, honestly, that he is not ready to disrupt the family life. In large part due to his children being rather young , both under 6 years old, and not wanting to destroy his wife. like i said, he doesn't hate her. and i know it's weird for me to think about this, but i find myself wondering, what would she do if he left? She isn't working now, as she decided to be a stay at home mom after the birth of their second child, and he works two jobs to pay the mortgage on their barely two year old home and everything else. I find myself worrying, if he left her, how would she get on? I can't ask him to leave his family, as much as I love him....

It's not like I rule out the possibility of meeting anyone else. It just is very rare that I meet anyone i feel strongly about, and there's no one else around right now that even remotely tickles my fancy, so it's more difficult to ignore my feelings for him when I have no one else to distract me, I guess. It's not a fear of being alone or single right now, Im only 25. Can't just shut feelings off because they are inconvenient...

I guess there's not much to do except see where time takes me. if I meet somene who makes me feel this way that is single and baggage free, I would love that, I truly would. I won't sit and wait for him , I just pray that i find someone else. Sometimes I wonder if I am one of those people doomed to do it "the hard way"- and if that is the case, so be it, you cannot change your fate, what happens will happen. For now, in the massive stress that is my life right now, he gives me solitary moments of complancency and sheer happiness, of feeling at peace , and sometimes you have to appreciate the smaller moments until something bigger comes along. If I didn't, I think I would have gone mad by now!

Thanks again :-)
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 11:22 pm
Lostgirl, I'm glad to read that you're open to possibilities, but I disagree with you about not being able to change your "fate", as you put it. You can and do make choices all the time, and each choice takes you down a different road than another choice, and you wind up in a different place. You can decide anything you want, so figure out what it is, and walk that path. Right now you're in a passive mode, it seems. When you want to take action, you will.
0 Replies

LostGirl811

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 11:31 am
I dunno, Mame, I feel sort of like giving up lately. As hard as I try, everything turn out wrong for me, my whole is a struggle with everything ! You'd think at least one thing would work out for me, but no. The only other guys I've remotely felt anything for since the married one, both lived in anohter country, and didn't want to deal with the long distance. I never seem to find anyone around here that actually works with. Honestly, I just feel like giving up. I know that this affair is only temporary and momentary gratitifcation, and I tell myself that yes, sometimes these situations can lead to new relationships, but Im aware the overwhelming majority probably don't and at the end of the day his family comes first, not me.

*sigh*
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 12:12 pm
I know. That's part of the problem with getting involved with someone who's already committed, unfortunately.

Maybe just focus on you and your needs, and not think about men. Have some fun with your girlfriends, keep busy taking fun courses, that's what I would do. I love my girlfriends so it would be easy. And I love taking courses, so that'd be easy, too. Find what you really like or are interested in and do it.

Sounds cliche, but it's really necessary if you want to get your own life. Right now, you're living his, eh?
0 Replies