1
   

Obama Embraces a Bigot and a Fanatic, the Rev. Wright

 
 
Parker Cross
 
  1  
Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 09:16 am
Sorry that last line slipped out. I should have said the birthing spawn of Joey Buttafucco.
0 Replies
 
engineer
 
  1  
Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 09:19 am
Parker Cross wrote:
I imagine you agree with the thought that the legacy of defeat is to blame for all of African-Americans' ills.

For if not, then perhaps the roots of their misfortune should also be illuminated in a speech designed to explain and confront racial divides?

I think you mis-read this. Obama said that the roots of black racial animosity stem from their historical treatment. The purpose of his speech was to discuss racial intolerance, both white of black and vica versa. He said a history of oppression has led to people like the good reverand who tend to see the oppressor's hand everywhere. Rev. Wright's comments, while bigoted, are not really all that incendary. You will find them posted on A2K regularly. But Obama makes a key point: You can disagree with the comments and still love and respect the person. As a Southern of similar age to Obama, I have listened to relatives and in-laws make casually racist comments and cringed. Of course they back away when challenged, but I know exactly what Obama refers to. His point was that the races are still polarized, the behavior of Rev. Wright is not atypical in the US and that you can reject that behavior without rejecting the person.
0 Replies
 
au1929
 
  1  
Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 09:21 am
Gargamel

I do not have to read his speech. I heard it first hand.
0 Replies
 
Miller
 
  1  
Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 09:24 am
blueflame1 wrote:
Crapturites are up in arms. Rev. Wright spoke truth to a mass murdering Superpower. God damn.


And what of the comments of the Harlem Pastor, who supports Hillary and called Obama's mother the S-word?
0 Replies
 
engineer
 
  1  
Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 09:25 am
Miller wrote:
blueflame1 wrote:
Crapturites are up in arms. Rev. Wright spoke truth to a mass murdering Superpower. God damn.


And what of the comments of the Harlem Pastor, who supports Hillary and called Obama's mother the S-word?

Link? If not a link, at least a name so that I can search for it.
0 Replies
 
Miller
 
  1  
Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 09:28 am
We need to hear from all the Whites who were forced from their SouthSide homes during the 1960s and 1970s...homes of solid middle class value, neighborhoods which are now nothing more than dirt poor slums infested with welfare mothers, large fatherless families and
trash everywhere.


And...in the process, resulted in the closing of at least 12 Catholic Churchs and Schools.

Why did the Blacks do this?


So much for integration and so much for civil rights...

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
0 Replies
 
Gargamel
 
  1  
Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 09:28 am
Parker Cross wrote:
candidone1 wrote:
Don't get all facty and stuff here. Facts just get in the way of a good argument.
What Parker wants to believe is what has been fed to him through all the white, right wing, conservative hate media pundits. His talking points are nearly verbatim from many of these pundits.

Obama can say what he wants and say what he means, but to Parker and his ilk, it is just smoke and mirrors. Just don't ever forget, Obama's middle name is Hussein--and that's ALL we need to know.


Sorry Candi, all of my views have come from watching the speech live, and repeatedly on the news channels. That and watching the videos of the Rev. Wright. Here is a transcript where all of my views have come from:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23690567/

It is easy to disregard difficult opinions by claiming they are not fact based. So let me break this down for you.

Fact: The Rev. Wright has consistently made anti-American remarks filled with vitriol not unlike that of Osama Bin-Laden (God Damn America, America is to blame for 9/11, etc).

Fact: Barrack Obama has been attending his church and consulting him as a spiritual and social counselor for 20 years.

Fact: Barrack Obama thanked Rev. Wright explicitly upon election into the U.S. Senate (or God Damned U.S. Senate).

Fact: Barrack Obama only renounced the remarks this week after a year of controversy.

Fact: Barrack Obama wants to be President of those God Damned United States.

Fact: Stewie Griffin has a football shaped head and is of an androgynous nature ...

Not sure how that last one slipped in.


Fact: You are completely dismissing the rest of Obama's background, education, not to mention his entire political history. You are speculating about his relationship with the Rev. I was raised Catholic--does the possibility that the spiritual avisors in my youth were child molesters mean that I must be one by association? Not liking Obama's platforms or his campagin is one thing. You are dwelling on a completely irrelevant issue because you either want people like me to make fun of you, or you have some latent racial paranoia you're interested in exploring.
0 Replies
 
Parker Cross
 
  1  
Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 09:30 am
engineer wrote:

I think you mis-read this. Obama said that the roots of black racial animosity stem from their historical treatment. The purpose of his speech was to discuss racial intolerance, both white of black and vica versa. He said a history of oppression has led to people like the good reverand who tend to see the oppressor's hand everywhere.


I am glad to discuss your points with you. You mentioned he was merely explaining the roots of the Rev. Wright's sentiments. But wouldn't you agree that by equating the "anger", "legacy of defeat", and "oppression" of the past with the problems of the present he has created a justification for many less educated and intelligent individuals to relieve themselves of blame for their own personal choices?

engineer wrote:
Rev. Wright's comments, while bigoted, are not really all that incendary. You will find them posted on A2K regularly.


What does that say about those who post that on A2K?

engineer wrote:

But Obama makes a key point: You can disagree with the comments and still love and respect the person. As a Southern of similar age to Obama, I have listened to relatives and in-laws make casually racist comments and cringed. Of course they back away when challenged, but I know exactly what Obama refers to. His point was that the races are still polarized, the behavior of Rev. Wright is not atypical in the US and that you can reject that behavior without rejecting the person.


I think this point of yours is powerful. And I agree with it. You are completely right about those in our lives that have outrageous views, yet we don't disown them completely as people. But, as in your case you mentioned relatives and in-laws. It is not your choice of association. You didn't get to choose your relatives, or marry your wife based on hers. Obama chose his pastor. He chose to continue to seek his counsel, guidance, blessings, and mentorship for 20 years. And this is the man who wants to be Patriot-in-Chief.

He condemns Hillary Clinton for voting for the Iraq War, when all of the evidence at the time supported her vote (remember "slam dunk" comment). But, that choice pales in comparison for voluntarily and enthusiastically embracing a person of such bigoted, uninformed, and fanatical nature.

If it were a white politician who frequented a Klan church for 20 years he would be lynched by the media and the electorate. Would he not?
0 Replies
 
Gargamel
 
  1  
Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 09:31 am
Miller wrote:
We need to hear from all the Whites who were forced from their SouthSide homes during the 1960s and 1970s...homes of solid middle class value, neighborhoods which are now nothing more than dirt poor slums infested with welfare mothers, large fatherless families and
trash everywhere.


And...in the process, resulted in the closing of at least 12 Catholic Churchs and Schools.

Why did the Blacks do this?


So much for integration and so much for civil rights...

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad



I didn't realize mayor Daley was black.
0 Replies
 
Parker Cross
 
  1  
Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 09:33 am
Gargamel wrote:
Fact: You are completely dismissing the rest of Obama's background, education, not to mention his entire political history. You are speculating about his relationship with the Rev. I was raised Catholic--does the possibility that the spiritual avisors in my youth were child molesters mean that I must be one by association? Not liking Obama's platforms or his campagin is one thing. You are dwelling on a completely irrelevant issue because you either want people like me to make fun of you, or you have some latent racial paranoia you're interested in exploring.


Gargamel, see my last response to Engineer. The last paragraph is important. His association by choice. One he has stuck with for 20 years, KNOWING the man's views. If you knew your spiritual advisor was a child molestor and you continued to go to him and associate yourself with him I would say the same as you.

You gave yourself the rope that time Gargamel.

P.S. check out the word "advisor" in your post.
0 Replies
 
Gargamel
 
  1  
Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 09:35 am
Parker Cross wrote:
P.S. check out the word "advisor" in your post.


Still not as funny as your failed attempt to wax "eloquece" on us A2K liberals.
0 Replies
 
Parker Cross
 
  1  
Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 09:38 am
Gargamel wrote:
Parker Cross wrote:
P.S. check out the word "advisor" in your post.


Still not as funny as your failed attempt to wax "eloquece" on us A2K liberals.


To be fair, my gaffe, while funny was not made after I had played the spelling Nazi towards another. Raising the bar on oneself and then getting hit in the head with it is true comedy.
0 Replies
 
candidone1
 
  1  
Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 09:40 am
Parker Cross wrote:
candidone1 wrote:
Don't get all facty and stuff here. Facts just get in the way of a good argument.
What Parker wants to believe is what has been fed to him through all the white, right wing, conservative hate media pundits. His talking points are nearly verbatim from many of these pundits.

Obama can say what he wants and say what he means, but to Parker and his ilk, it is just smoke and mirrors. Just don't ever forget, Obama's middle name is Hussein--and that's ALL we need to know.


Sorry Candi, all of my views have come from watching the speech live, and repeatedly on the news channels. That and watching the videos of the Rev. Wright. Here is a transcript where all of my views have come from:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23690567/

It is easy to disregard difficult opinions by claiming they are not fact based. So let me break this down for you.

Fact: The Rev. Wright has consistently made anti-American remarks filled with vitriol not unlike that of Osama Bin-Laden (God Damn America, America is to blame for 9/11, etc).

Now that's a stretch---Wright=OBL? This is certainly a new low.

Fact: Barrack Obama has been attending his church and consulting him as a spiritual and social counselor for 20 years.

Key word....spiritual leader. Not political advisor. Can you not see the difference?

Fact: Barrack Obama thanked Rev. Wright explicitly upon election into the U.S. Senate (or God Damned U.S. Senate).

I would guess Obama has also given thanks to God. Wright is Obama's spiritual leader, God is the spirit. Given your earlier assertion that Wright = OBL, would it not follow then that since OBL would praise Allah...Obama's God = Allah. Get a grip dude.

Fact: Barrack Obama only renounced the remarks this week after a year of controversy.

Fact: Obama is running for President, not Wright. Obama has consistently maintained that mudslinging is not the kind of politics America needs. He shouldn't ever have to qualify the statements made by a reverend from his church. It's irrelevant. But it is relevent because it's dirt...and like Clinton's BJ, it was irrelevant, but it was dirt. The right loves their dirt because their policies don't work but dirt does.

Fact: Barrack Obama wants to be President of those God Damned United States.

Although there was a context to it, it has been ignored....but Wright was the man who said "God Damn America". In the context of the statement, are you prepared to say that the US should be proud of how blacks have been treated in America's history?
For the record....make an unequivocal statement regarding the pride or shame the US should have for the historical treatment of blacks.



I just find it odd that the same crowd excoriating Obama for his reverend's comments weren't anywherre to be found condemning the white preachers, ministers, and priests when they spew their anti-gay, anti-American, anti-black, anti-immigrant, anti-everything-that-goes-against-the-predominantly-white-status-quo.

For the sake of balance because you are clearly a slave to the truth, and a slave to objectivity....could please direct me to your paralleled condemnation on this site of the white religious leaders and white media pundits who are guilty of precisely the same thing as Wright?
0 Replies
 
Gargamel
 
  1  
Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 09:43 am
Parker Cross wrote:
To be fair, my gaffe, while funny was not made after I had played the spelling Nazi towards another. Raising the bar on oneself and then getting hit in the head with it is true comedy.


Actually no, it's not.
0 Replies
 
Parker Cross
 
  1  
Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 09:43 am
candidone1 wrote:
I just find it odd that the same crowd excoriating Obama for his reverend's comments weren't anywherre to be found condemning the white preachers, ministers, and priests when they spew their anti-gay, anti-American, anti-black, anti-immigrant, anti-everything-that-goes-against-the-predominantly-white-status-quo.

For the sake of balance because you are clearly a slave to the truth, and a slave to objectivity....could please direct me to your paralleled condemnation on this site of the white religious leaders and white media pundits who are guilty of precisely the same thing as Wright?


You make this too easy my friend. So I will use your very own words:

candidone1 wrote:
Fact: Obama is running for President, not Wright. Obama has consistently maintained that mudslinging is not the kind of politics America needs. He shouldn't ever have to qualify the statements made by a reverend from his church. It's irrelevant. But it is relevent because it's dirt...and like Clinton's BJ, it was irrelevant, but it was dirt. The right loves their dirt because their policies don't work but dirt does.


Wouldn't that apply to my (an atheist, by the way), defending a bunch of white bigoted preachers?

Here's your sign.

You can keep your rope.
0 Replies
 
Parker Cross
 
  1  
Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 09:44 am
I even managed to keep you red highlighting. Keep it up sensei. Very Happy
0 Replies
 
Parker Cross
 
  1  
Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 09:45 am
Gargamel wrote:
Parker Cross wrote:
To be fair, my gaffe, while funny was not made after I had played the spelling Nazi towards another. Raising the bar on oneself and then getting hit in the head with it is true comedy.


Actually no, it's not.


Oh, don't go sour grapes on me. Hypocrisy is funny. Especially when involving something as minor as a spelling gaffe. You're better than that Gargamel. Just admit it was quite funny. Mine was.
0 Replies
 
kickycan
 
  1  
Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 09:47 am
Fact: Pastor Wright would probably not make a good president.

Fact: Barack Obama is not Pastor Wright.
0 Replies
 
Parker Cross
 
  1  
Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 09:51 am
kickycan wrote:
Fact: Pastor Wright would probably not make a good president.

Fact: Obama is not Pastor Wright.


Very true Kickycan. However, going back to my earlier post. His association with pastor Wright is one of choice. He wants us to choose the best person (presumably him) for President. He constantly refers to the "choices" of the opposing candidates. Doesn't his poor choice of pastor, mentor, guidance counselor, advisor, and intimate reflect anything on Obama's character to you?

If not then I guess you will be happy to hear of my association with Hugo Chavez. We laugh it up with all the time with Paris Hilton, while discussing politics, the meaning of life, and the direction of our future presidencies (his current, of course as supreme Bolivarian leader) with Che Guevara.

... from the beyond, I guess.
0 Replies
 
kickycan
 
  1  
Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 09:56 am
Parker Cross wrote:
kickycan wrote:
Fact: Pastor Wright would probably not make a good president.

Fact: Obama is not Pastor Wright.


Very true Kickycan. However, going back to my earlier post. His association with pastor Wright is one of choice. He wants us to choose the best person (presumably him) for President. He constantly refers to the "choices" of the opposing candidates. Doesn't his poor choice of pastor, mentor, guidance counselor, advisor, and intimate reflect anything on Obama's character to you?


Yes, it does to some degree. But not even remotely as much as the things he himself has said, done and written. And in comparison to the other candidates, he's still the best choice in my opinion. But of course, I'm not basing my opinion solely on the caricature that has been created of Pastor Wright as a rabid, America-hating lunatic, as you seem to be.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

Obama '08? - Discussion by sozobe
Let's get rid of the Electoral College - Discussion by Robert Gentel
McCain's VP: - Discussion by Cycloptichorn
Food Stamp Turkeys - Discussion by H2O MAN
The 2008 Democrat Convention - Discussion by Lash
McCain is blowing his election chances. - Discussion by McGentrix
Snowdon is a dummy - Discussion by cicerone imposter
GAFFNEY: Whose side is Obama on? - Discussion by gungasnake
 
Copyright © 2022 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/28/2022 at 11:57:53