Obama Embraces a Bigot and a Fanatic, the Rev. Wright

okie

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2008 09:05 pm
I believe in fixing things, but I absolutely do not believe in throwing the baby out with the bathwater, and that is what I interpret Obama and Clinton as wanting to do. Mainly I am frankly tired of people whinin and complainin about more than they should or about things that are their problem, not everyones.
0 Replies

username

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2008 09:53 pm
So unless it affects 100% of the people in the country, it's not a problem?

Was Rev. Wright talking to you, "whining and complaining" to you, okie?

He was talking to other African-Americans about the black experience in this country, and, yes, I doubt you would contend that that experience in America has been one of being welcomed with opened arms. The founding fathers implicitly accepted slavery. The civil war didn't solve it. The expunging of segregation didn't solve it. The last decades have mitigated it some, maybe a good deal, maybe not, but they haven't solved it. If you think he shouldn't talk about that, but be all Polyanna, then you and I disagree strongly on what this country is all about. I happen to think it's all about the attempt to "form a more perfect Union".
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2008 10:03 pm
Wallowing in self pity is not going to solve it either, and that is what the Wright philosophy does. Look, there are folks of all walks of life, color, race, and creed, that approach life from a different philosophy, that of optimism and gratefulness, rather than focusing on problems, and it works much better. Other people will also treat you better and you will more likely find success. If you are looking for injustice, you will find it. Life is not always fair, for anyone, but if you quit focusing on the negative and focus on the positive, things always work out better.

I could remind you that a great many white Americans died to help their black brothers gain freedom in the civil war. Look, there are still prejudiced people around, but there are enough that are not, that if we people would simply quit looking for the negative, the positive would be much more likely to happen. Thats my sermon for today, which I think is far better than any of Wright's that I heard. Pass the collection plate.
0 Replies

username

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2008 10:51 pm
And a great many black soldiers died to defend their white brothers' union and protect its constitution, which didn't do a whole lot for them until well within Rev. Wright's, and my, lifetime.
0 Replies

Parker Cross

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2008 10:58 pm
Kumbaya, Kumbaya ...

It is interesting to me to discover that Bigot Wright's 9/11 comments came 5 days after 9/11. His timing is impeccable. What are the odds that Obama was in the church that day? Perhaps he wasn't, but if anyone here could say that he didn't know what his Bgt. Wright had been preaching about they are probably lying, or talking out of the wrong orfice.

It is amazing that so many have been so caught up in the media moment with Obama. He has accomplished very little, has no actions to back up what he spouts, and embraces racists and bigots (while condemning their actions, of course). We must elect him immediately. He is the man for the hour.
0 Replies

Parker Cross

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2008 11:10 pm
Obama said, (during his infamous "Race" Speech):

"The pastor of my church, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, who recently preached his last sermon and is in the process of retiring, has touched off a firestorm over the last few days. He's drawn attention as the result of some inflammatory and appalling remarks he made about our country, our politics, and my political opponents.

Let me say at the outset that I vehemently disagree and strongly condemn the statements that have been the subject of this controversy. I categorically denounce any statement that disparages our great country or serves to divide us from our allies. I also believe that words that degrade individuals have no place in our public dialogue, whether it's on the campaign stump or in the pulpit. In sum, I reject outright the statements by Rev. Wright that are at issue."

This last paragraph is telling.

He vehemently disagrees with Bigot Wright, but he was forced to wait for 20 years and during this election cycle only when the media began to expose Bgt. Wright before letting anyone in on his vehement disagreement.

He categorically denounces any statement that disparages our country only after listening to them silently for 20 years.

He SAYS he believes such rhetoric has no place in our public dialogue, making particular mention of on a pulpit, but this is the first he has said this.

His own words condemn him. If they have NO place in our public dialogue coming from the pulpit why has he tolerated (and endorsed through silence), such talk?

Answer me that Obama groupies?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2008 11:48 pm
okie wrote:
Another note about the church website. It is cloaked in some feel good things, but it doesn't take long to see it is mostly political, not religious, and it is centered around righting the injustices of society, of the past, etc. It is about axes to grind. You don't have to call it hatred, but that is the true element that it becomes expressed as, because that is one important element of the philosophy.

I am incredulous that a man as intelligent as Obama fails to see this, and apparently feels this is some kind of grand philosophy. That is what is so surprising.

Obama understands very well that his church is highly political. He has said as much, including mentioning that the very first thing that attracted him to it was a sign in the yard of the church regarding apartheid in South Africa.

What is incredible is that the same people who have spent 8 years trashing GWB for carrying his faith front and center seem to have no problem with 'Present' Obama doing the same.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2008 11:55 pm
okie wrote:
... but I prefer common sense.

If that's your preference why do you show such an uncommon disdain for it.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 09:28 am
Parker Cross wrote:
Kumbaya, Kumbaya ...

It is interesting to me to discover that Bigot Wright's 9/11 comments came 5 days after 9/11. His timing is impeccable. What are the odds that Obama was in the church that day? Perhaps he wasn't, but if anyone here could say that he didn't know what his Bgt. Wright had been preaching about they are probably lying, or talking out of the wrong orfice.

It is amazing that so many have been so caught up in the media moment with Obama. He has accomplished very little, has no actions to back up what he spouts, and embraces racists and bigots (while condemning their actions, of course). We must elect him immediately. He is the man for the hour.

Parker Cross, Amen.

Important point here, the church makes no bones about basing itself on the "Black Liberation Theology," and if anyone reads the details of that, it is pretty plain to see the racial aspects of it. For Obama to plead innocence to this is either A. - he is lying, or B - he is pretty naive, and neither is a qualification for any presidential candidate to be considered seriously.
0 Replies

Barack Obama

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 09:55 am
Ha! It's too late for you inbred crackers! I've virtually knocked that white devil bitch out of the race now, and soon I'll be gunning for your old geezer republican douchebag too! And soon after that, I will take over the country and put all you whiteys out on your racist asses! That's right, mayonnaise-faces! When I'm president, I will make it a law that whitey has to sit in the back of the bus! And I will mandate that all white devils vacate all corporate CEO positions and give them to black gang members! Beware, for the time of retribution against the cracky-ass crackers is nigh, bee-YOTCH!!!
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 10:04 am
I trust many others have seen this post from some imposter of Barack Obama, but I sincerely hope it is an imposter. May I be the first to request the moderators remove this, whoever it may be, I don't think it passes muster, and should neither be humorous nor profitable to this forum.

I reported the post, the first time I have ever done that.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 10:14 am
Barack Obama wrote:
Ha! It's too late for you inbred crackers! I've virtually knocked that white devil bitch out of the race now, and soon I'll be gunning for your old geezer republican douchebag too! And soon after that, I will take over the country and put all you whiteys out on your racist asses! That's right, mayonnaise-faces! When I'm president, I will make it a law that whitey has to sit in the back of the bus! And I will mandate that all white devils vacate all corporate CEO positions and give them to black gang members! Beware, for the time of retribution against the cracky-ass crackers is nigh, bee-YOTCH!!!

That's good stuff, Barack. No wonder I worship you so. Down with whitey!
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 06:25 pm
okie wrote:
I trust many others have seen this post from some imposter of Barack Obama, but I sincerely hope it is an imposter.

"I sincerely hope it is an imposter"!!!

Someone's elevator stops a few floors short of a full trip.

May I be the first to request the moderators remove this, whoever it may be, I don't think it passes muster, and should neither be humorous nor profitable to this forum.

I reported the post, the first time I have ever done that.

The redoubtable defender of American values.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 07:16 pm
okie wrote:
I trust many others have seen this post from some imposter of Barack Obama, but I sincerely hope it is an imposter.

You mean to say you actually think it COULD BE Barack Obama?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 07:41 pm
okie wrote:
I hope you don't mind, I only included part of your post for brevity sake, but will try to address all of it.

Thank you very much! I really appreciate it, even if I didnt reply straight away. I love to hear these personal stories, especially when they grow into family stories and you see history reflected..

Politics is just numbers and arguments until you can place people's personal stories alongside them, that give it flesh & blood. Without that, there's no way to really understand.

okie wrote:
Yes, my parents were okies, as I grew up too, and I think I have a pretty good insight into what accounts for the phenomena or apparent change you speak of. My parents were strong FDR Democrats, my mother taught me the Democrats were for the common man while Repbulicans were for big business, and that is what my grandfather believed.

<nods>

The loss of their heartland American support sometime in the 60s through 80s must have been the worst thing to happen to the Democrats. I mean, it's just the times - as the cultural lightning rod issues of the 60s took over the mainstage from the bread-and-butter FDR issues, the political faultlines shifted. But it's a hell of a shame.

And it's not just the partisan shift. It's the whole world view underneath it. This view of the common man vs big business, that sort of disappeared along with it. (And thats where we disagree of course, whether thats a good or a bad thing.)

To go on a digression a bit, thats one of my main concerns about Obama. I like him a lot better than Hillary, and I agree with him more too. But he does have a more kind of, I dont know, post-materialist profile than Hillary, which means he might do better among many white-collar middle-class independents in the modern cities, but he will lose even more of the Democrats' remaining support among older, blue-collar white voters, making that old FDR coalition recede into the horizon even more...

okie wrote:
However, here is the thing you must remember, these people are staunchly patriotic, my dad being in WW II, they all worked hard and were fiercely independent. To summarize as Ronald Reagan did, the Democratic Party left him, he never left the party. My parents are still registered Democrats, or were, only one is now alive, and tend to vote the man, not the party, which I see the fallacy of, but that explains how the state can go staunchly Democrat and then go Republican. They might vote Democrat locally, but haven't voted for a Democrat for president in a long long time, to my knowledge. [..]

I am the first generation in the family to be registered Republican

Interesting. Were you a Republican from the start, or did you switch later in life? (When?)

And your parents, you say that they remain (or remained) registered Democrats all their life, but I guess they stopped voting a Democrat for President a long time ago - when did they stop doing so (I mean, if you know, of course)? You quote Reagan - "they didnt leave the party, the party left them"; did they switch in the 80s, after Carter, or earlier already?

okie wrote:
Oklahoma has far more problems than it used to have, but it is still a conservative state, even when they vote for Democrats. I don't believe you will see Oklahoma go for Clinton or Obama, whoever it is, they are not that liberal yet.

Interesting! You feel that Oklahoma is actually trending more liberal now? I didnt know that..

Also - I know you think neither Democrat has any chance of actually winning OKlahoma, and you're right of course. But which of the two do you think would get more votes?

okie wrote:
I actually grew up with a guy whose dad was more or less a communist, and this guy nearly made college a life's career and studied all the world's religions and governments, ended up with doctorates and masters of this and that, and actually lived in more than a dozen countries around the world. Alot of his seeking was because of his dad's sort of revolutionary ideas, which was unusual in the farming community, and this guy ended up searching all of this out for himself. Not too long ago, he confided in me that he wasted a long time and has concluded the old dirt farmers he grew up with had the best philosophy all along, not only that, capitalism was the worst system on earth - except for all the rest of the possible systems. I think he thought utopia existed somewhere, but to his disappointment, he never found it. Where he grew up was as close as he could have gotten to it, and now I think he realizes that.

Interesting story. I like the line how "capitalism was the worst system on earth - except for all the rest of the possible systems". On the one hand it's a bit of a cliche; but in the context of his life story it seems to really reflect his search, and a kind of reluctant embrace of his home country at the end.

okie wrote:
Also, I missed a couple questions, my grandfather was a homesteader, so he settled land inhabited by the indians before that. That has to be an injustice, right?

Wow, so your family really goes back to the very roots of the state! That's cool. Nowadays people move around such a lot, it's hard to have or preserve a sense of local history, of being rooted in a place. I think a lot is lost with that.

And well, yeah, that's the contradiction at the heart of history I suppose - perhaps just more clearly so in America. The country's birth is the story of hardworking heroes who themselves also just escaped poverty elsewhere - but who did end up occupying lands taken from the Indians. Good guys, bad guys? I guess the categories just dont apply very well. They did the best they could, and thats all anyone can do, right?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 07:42 pm
Ouch, didnt mean to be so long-winded..
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 07:43 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
okie wrote:

If someone came on here using the name John McCain, and posted the same type of garbage the Obama imposter posted, you would immediately believe it was McCain, and react accordingly.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 08:02 pm
mysteryman wrote:
If someone came on here using the name John McCain, and posted the same type of garbage the Obama imposter posted, you would immediately believe it was McCain, and react accordingly.

No effin way. Not even Roxxxanne would think that.

Come on. People who are running for President have no time to post on some random discussion forum. To think that is just paranoia.

And thats still apart from the fact that what this "Barack Obama" poster wrote is exactly the opposite from what the real Obama ever says and writes; and that no politician alive would ever say such things anyway, since it would be their political death.

Come on, think about it for a second. The very idea that this "Barack Obama" is the real one is just insane, for at least a dozen reasons. The same way it would be insane to think that someone signing in here as "John McCain" and posting that he would "kill all Muslims, those evil schmucks", for random example, could really be him. Let's keep a grip on basic reality here.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 08:16 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
okie wrote:

You are dumber than I even thought you were. Of course I did not thing it was Barack Obama, you apparently do not understand humor when I said I sincerely hoped it was an imposter. If not, we would all be in a whole lot bigger trouble than even I think we are already.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 08:20 pm
Yeah, but that isn't really the point to many of the objections about that post, especially mine.

For instance, someone thought it would be cute to login to Obama's campaign site and form a group called "Black Panthers for Obama." Fox News jumped on it immediately and ran stories during the height of the Wright flap about the Black Panthers supporting Obama.

The profile of the creator of the group was obviously brand new and the group had no members and no blog postings, yet Fox blasted Obama for accepting support from the Panthers. When they were told the group and profile were a fake all they reported was that the group had been removed from Obama's website. Never said a word about the group being fake or them falling for it.

I wouldn't be surprised if some blogger/gossip picks up on that faked Obama post and spreads the word about what "Obama" said.
0 Replies