Our sick little girl

Wilso

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 05:22 pm
Thalia has been in hospital for 5 days suffering from scalded skin syndrome, as a result of a staph infection. We've got no idea where she picked it up from. She went from general redness on Saturday, to facial swelling on Sunday. By Monday she looked like she'd gone 10 rounds with Mike Tyson. After intravenous antibiotics for 5 days, all the swelling has gone, and she's acting like herself again, but she's still got a lot of peeling skin. It's been a really rough week.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,854 • Replies: 40
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 05:27 pm
I'm so sorry to hear this Wilso. It's especially terrible when a child is too young to even understand what is happening and always a nightmare for the parents. I've heard there are a lot of these infections cropping up around the world, like a plague. I know you don't believe in cosmic forces, so I'll just wish you and your family the best of good outcomes.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 05:27 pm
Hey Wilso

So sorry to hear about Thalia. Sending you and yours all good wishes. Hope she recovers real quick. ((((Thalia))))
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 05:30 pm
real empathy for sick children... nothing hurts you more than seeing your child suffer and not being able to make it go away RIGHT NOW.... you and your family hang in there dude...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 05:31 pm
Wilso- I am so happy to hear that she is on the mend. Having gone through a nasty staph infection with Mr. P., I can certainly understand the anguish that your family has gone through. Best wishes to Thalia for a speedy recovery! Very Happy

Quote:
The prognosis is usually excellent. A full recovery is expected.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001352.htm
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 05:38 pm
Wilso
Wilso, a big hug for you and your little girl.---BBB

Scalded skin syndrome

Alternative Names

Ritter disease; Staphylococcal scalded skin syndrome (SSS)

Scalded skin syndrome is a skin infection characterized by damage to the skin, with marked shedding (exfoliation). It usually affects infants and children under the age of 5.

Causes

Scalded skin syndrome is caused by infection with certain strains of bacteria in the Staphylococcus family. During the infection, the staphylococci produce a poison that is responsible for the skin damage. Onset of the illness may include fever and skin tenderness.

The effects of the toxin first produce reddening of the skin. Fluid collects beneath the skin, loosening it. Subsequently, light rubbing of the skin may pull away large sheets of skin leaving a raw, red base (this effect is called the Nikolsky sign). These bare areas dry out and crust over.

Scalded skin syndrome is found most commonly in infants and very young children.

Symptoms

fever
redness of the skin (erythema) which spreads to cover most of the body
skin slips off with gentle pressure leaving wet red areas (Nikolsky sign)
large areas of skin peel or fall away (exfoliation or desquamation)
painful skin
infant appears quite ill
Exams and Tests Return to top

positive Nikolsky's sign (skin slipping off when rubbed)
Tests include:

Complete blood count (CBC)
cultures of the skin and throat (often yield staphylococci)
skin biopsy (done only in rare cases where diagnosis is in question, such as when the skin condition may be due to a drug reaction known as toxic epidermal necrolysis or TEN)
check of electrolytes to see if fluid loss has caused difficulties

Treatment

Intravenous antibiotics that are specific for staphylococcus are given to help fight the infection. Because much fluid is lost through the open skin, supplemental intravenous fluid is important to prevent dehydration.

Moist compresses to the skin may improve comfort. An emollient may be applied to keep the skin moist. Healing begins in about 10 days following treatment.

Outlook (Prognosis)

The prognosis is usually excellent. A full recovery is expected.

Possible Complications

severe bloodstream infection (septicemia)
fluid regulation problems causing dehydration or electrolyte imbalance
poor temperature control (in young infants)
spread to deeper skin infection (cellulitis)
When to Contact a Medical Professional Return to top

Call your health care provider or go to the emergency room if symptoms of this disorder appear.

Prevention

The disorder may not be preventable. Prompt treatment of any staphylococcus infection may be helpful.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 05:42 pm
I am happy to know she is already on the mend. Sorry it had to happen.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 05:46 pm
Oh Wilso! The poor baby! I'm glad to hear she's on the mend, though. How old is the little darling now?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 06:07 pm
I'm sorry to read that she's been so ill. Good that she's on the mend -- hope recovery comes sooner than expected.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 06:23 pm
Swimpy wrote:
Oh Wilso! The poor baby! I'm glad to hear she's on the mend, though. How old is the little darling now?

8 months. It was really scary about Monday. She could hardly see because her face was so swollen. But she's also showing that amazing resilience of children. Even though she's got skin coming off everywhere, her personality is completely back to normal. But seeing the "Isolation" sign on the door really put wind up us.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 06:35 pm
Ouch!!!!

Glad she's on the mend!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 06:54 pm
Wilso - hang in there!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 06:56 pm
I'm sorry, Wilso. Wishing Thalia better fast!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 06:57 pm
She came to my mind as I drove south yesterday - no obvious reason!

Glad she's on the improve. What hospital?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 07:19 pm
Yipes, double yipes! Wishing only the best.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 07:24 pm
margo wrote:
She came to my mind as I drove south yesterday - no obvious reason!

Glad she's on the improve. What hospital?

Wollongong. In the children's ward.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 07:34 pm
Oh poor Thalia. This must have been very stressful and frightening
for you and your wife, Wilso. There is nothing worse than to see your
child suffering while you have to stand by and can't do a darn thing.

I am glad, Thalia is in such good spirit and recuperating. She is such
a beautiful girl, and it looks like, she has the personality to go with it.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 07:37 pm
Wilso, I'm so sorry you and Mrs W have had to face such a serious scare with your Thalia. I'm very glad the care she's gotten has been effective and that she's on the mend. Best wishes to you all.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 08:05 pm
My heart goes out to you and your wife, Wilso. I know how hard it is to see your child be sick like that. Tell her that all her A2k aunties and uncles are sending their love and get well wishes to her.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 10:32 pm
Scary stuff, Wilso. Glad little Thalia is improving.
0 Replies