jjorge's Dean Diary

jjorge

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 08:26 am
'An Army of Common Citizens'

I went to another house party/fund raiser for Dean yesterday. I was a 'sponsor' ($100.)

It was at the home of Peter and Judith in Rehoboth MA. Myself and about five others volunteered to come early and help our wonderful hosts get ready.

The eighty or so in attendance were thrilled that we got to have a conference call (using multiple speaker-phones) with Gov. Dean. At the same time there were about six hundred OTHER people at house party/fund raisers in Nevada, Ohio, Pennsylvania, etc. hooked up to the call.

Most of the locations got to ask the Gov. a question or two and we heard energetic cheering every time a specific house party and location was mentioned...NO ONE cheered louder than we did however.

A fascinating thing about this event, as with virtually every other Dean event I've been to, was that it was comprised of people of all ages, contained large numbers of independents, (and a sprinkling of republicans) and the vast majority, as with me, had NEVER been actively involved in a political campaign before!

Gov. Dean is creating something that before now only the republican candidates had --a highly energized dedicated base, a growing ARMY that now numbers hundreds of thousands of activists willing....no not willing, EAGER to give their time and energy and money to elect him.

And get this...it is this this 'army of common citizens' --not lobbyists and self-interested fat cats-- who have flooded Gov. Dean's campaign coffers.

Howard Dean may occasionally misspeak (who doesn't?) but it is extraordinarily comforting to know that he is not speaking and acting on behalf of lobbyists, corporate titans, or any other selfish special interest.

It's so-o-o-o astonishing, and gratifying to feel the energy of my fellow average citizens. They are mostly moderate in their views, and not single issue voters. They are quick to say that they don't agree with Dean on this or that but support him anyway because of the 'total package'.

This is truly a campaign of hope.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 09:19 pm
Photos from the Harkin Steak Fry

Yesterday Iowa senator Tom Harkin had his annual steak fry-fundraiser. Most of the contenders for the Democratic nomination were there.

Howard Dean had something extra --a large number of supporters from Iowa and surrounding states to welcome him.

http://photos.deanforamerica.com/gallery/23633
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 02:32 pm
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 07:08 am
from the blog:

'Photos from The Road: Alabama and Georgia'

http://blog.deanforamerica.com/archives/001476.html#more
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 11:32 am
Dean Widens Lead in California

In the latest Field Poll of likely Democratic voters in California, Howard Dean has moved further ahead on the strength of grassroots organizing and support-- widening his lead to eight points in the Golden State. The numbers, with July's results in parenthesis:

Dean 23 (16)
Lieberman 15 (14)
Kerry 11 (15)
Gephardt 8 (7)
Clark, Mosely-Braun 4 (N/A / 2)
Sharpton 3 (3)
Edwards, Graham, Kucinich 1 (4/3/3)
The poll was conducted September 3-7th, and has a margin of error of +/-4%.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 10:09 pm
according to recent polls:

9/17/03: Dean leads in NH
9/17/03: Dean leads in CA
9/17/03: Dean leads in national poll
9/15/03: Dean leads in NM
9/10/03: Dean leads in IA
8/27/03: Dean leads in MD
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 10:54 pm
Jjorge, I've been busy moving during the past few weeks and am now just catching up.
Thank you for this great thread. I've been on board with Dean almost from the beginning.
Your work with the campaign is inspiring.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 05:46 pm
Diane wrote:
Jjorge, I've been busy moving during the past few weeks and am now just catching up.
Thank you for this great thread. I've been on board with Dean almost from the beginning.
Your work with the campaign is inspiring.

Hi Diane!

Thanks for the kind words.

As of today the Dean campaign has signed on 406,984 Americans!! ...

...and that doesn't even count the two I signed up last night!
(I signed them up with postal cards that presumably will take a few days to get to Dean HQ)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 06:18 pm
bookmark
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 08:19 pm
from the Dean blog, Thursday Sept. 18 2003:

Guest Writer: Bill Sybert, Dean Texas Ranger

"In the 2004 General Election, at the ripe old age of 80 years, I will be casting my fifteenth vote for a President of the United States. My first vote, in 1948 for Harry Truman, helped him to pull the biggest political upset of the first half of the twentieth century. My hope is that the next election will see the biggest upset of all times. In all, I have won six, lost seven, and had the most recent one stolen. Personally, I want to win this next one to even my score.

But, there are far more important reasons for us to elect a Democrat in the next election. Never in my life have I experienced the gut-wrenching feeling as I am now feeling regarding the direction our country is being led by the current administration. Many of our citizens have lost faith in our system because of the alarming things that they see -- our foreign policy is in shambles; we have the respect of practically no one worldwide;. the government lies to the world -- and its own citizens; we have squandered budget surpluses and replaced them with debts that even our grandchildren will be unable to pay; we have made an oxymoron of "environmental protection;" we have deadened the hopes and aspirations of an entire generation; we continue to let our healthcare decline as more and more people become ineligible for publicly funded care and more and more lose their coverage because of unemployment which does not seem to concern the present administration. Time and space prevents me to file a complete indictment of our current administration. We must not let them continue to lead us down the road of indifference as they pursue their dreams of a plutocracy.

These are just some of the reasons I am going to another state to help present the cause of Governor Dean. At my age, and with my bad back, there are many things I can find to do at home without traipsing around the country, but I can think of nothing better I can do to help assure the future of my country and my fellow Americans. I like what Governor Dean says and how he says it. Eleven years ago we elected another governor from a small state -- over the battle-cry of the Republicans that he was "a failed governor from a small state." Maybe what this country needs is another "governor from a small state" since it is obvious that the governor from a large state hasn't been able to cut the mustard. I will do all I can to help elect Governor Dean! I hope the people in Iowa will join me -- for the future of our country!"

Bill Sybert
Dallas, Texas
http://www.blogforamerica.com/
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 08:26 pm
I'm still here. Mainly just reading and supporting.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 08:59 pm
Hi Edgar,

good to know you're looking in.

jjorge
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 04:11 pm
Molly Kurland is a Dean supporter in California. She recently received a fund raising letter from the Democratic National Committee (DNC) signed by James Carville. Molly sent 'a small contribution' along with this letter:

Dear Mr. Carville,

Thank you for your recent letter and request for funds. I agree with you that we have

to have a government that represents us. I believe that is the intent of your letter.

I would definitely donate money to the DNC if I thought I would really get

representative government from you. I have been a lifelong Democrat.

Let us look at what the Democratic Party has accomplished lately. We were robbed

of the 2000 election. Somehow we let the Bush administration get away with that. I

will never understand how that could have happened. Then we were slammed in

2002. This trend cannot continue. We have entered the darkest era in American

history. We cannot afford to continue down this path.

Why has this happened? A great number of people have become fed up with our

political process and have stopped voting. Whether Republican or Democrat, politics

seem to be controlled by a few people at the top who think they know best and the

people, the rest of us, really have no voice. The last few times I have voted I did it

"just in case it makes a difference." That's how much faith I have in the process. But

many people have already given up. They stop voting altogether or they vote for third

party candidates who have no chance of getting elected, but at least offer the voice of

reason. What would it look like if the Democrats had a candidate who listened to the

people, gave them a voice and stood up for them?

It would look like Howard Dean.

Him again, you say? What is this infatuation people have with the former governor of

Vermont? This internet wonder? What is this man's appeal?

Let me tell you. It's not that the Dean campaign figured out how to use a computer.

It's because Howard Dean genuinely cares about people. The man who gave up a life

of Wall Street big money to become a country doctor is a man who really wants to

make a difference and help people. It's real. That's what I think is lost on so many

people who have spent their lives in politics. I think they've forgotten what it's like to

consider the dilemmas of the average person.

Not only has Dean proven he can balance budgets, provide affordable health care,

create jobs and all the things he did for the people of Vermont, but he has a deeper

message.

You've heard it. It goes, "You have the power." That's the magic ingredient of the

Dean campaign. He has given the grassroots the power. They don't have to wait for

him to become President. They have it now. They feel it. They use it every day. You

know what? It's an incredible turn-on. People love to be empowered. They haven't

felt powerful in so long that they're positively joyous about it. That is what is bringing

so many discouraged people back to politics and to Dean. And that is why his

supporters continue to grow and his popularity remains strong. That is what is

engaging Greens, Independents, Republicans and Democrats. It doesn't matter what

your political affiliation, the average person has not felt they had much say over what

happens to them in so long. They go to the polls and vote just in case it will count.

There hasn't been much excitement or enthusiasm about participating in the process.

And this country desperately needs participation. We have so much work to do.

I do believe that you want what's best for the country. But I think being a professional

in the field of politics it's easy to lose the message. It all becomes a strategy about

winning and it ends up being a losing game because there's nothing to engage the

people and it's really all about the people.

Our country is desperate for a real leader; someone who will inspire them, someone

who will listen to them, someone who will come up with workable solutions for their

problems and someone who will engage their participation in those solutions.

Howard Dean is that leader. That's what all the excitement is about. The more that

people hear Dean speak, the more that they see he's for real. He speaks fearlessly, as

though he has nothing to lose, just his country, and he wants his country back. And so

do I.

Please take Dean seriously. He is good for America. He is by far the best candidate

for President. Support him and you can expect a lot more donations, from me and

countless others
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 03:47 pm
'Bold Point'

No, this Bold Point is not
somebody's muscular assertion,

A little neck of land it is,
A spit, a tiny foothold,

--grass and sand,
and lapping waves--

timidly, it pokes into
the River Providence,

and cringes, barely noticed
in a busy city day;

Buffetted by roar and whine
of highway traffic,

magnet for the dreary plastic
residue of progress (the last indignity)

it's gentle beauty stained.

Somehow, it moves us,
now that we have stopped to look,

and so, we stoop,
and, for ourselves mostly,

we gather up the pulltabs,
hypodermic needles,

plastic no-deposit, no-returns,
the tampon applicators,

the countless cups of styrofoam,
and all the random wrappers,

and disposable diapers.
( jjorge )

Today, on 'Dean Visibility Day' the writer was one of twenty Dean supporters who spent the morning cleaning refuse from the beach at Bold Point Park East Providence Rhode Island.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2003 02:10 pm
from today's blog:

Marc Humbert reports for the AP on Dean's visit to the Hudson Valley and New York yesterday:

After stops in Albany and Hudson, Dean partied at Avalon night club in Manhattan's Chelsea district with comedians Al Franken and Whoopi Goldberg and singer Gloria Gaynor. More than a thousand supporters paid $35, $75 or $500 for tickets to the event.
The fund-raising rally kicked off "Ten Days that Will Change America" _ his campaign's name for the final push to raise at least $10.3 million in the third quarter of the year.

At the rally, Dean continued to criticize the president's handling of the economy and the war in Iraq. "If you want to trust your hard-earned tax dollars then you better hire a Democrat," he told the cheering crowd.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 08:02 am
From today's blog:

Texan, Larry Woods tells how he got involved in the Howard Dean campaign.
(it sounds so much like MY story that I had to share it with you)

"...I was so disappointed last fall when I felt like the Democratic Party rolled over and played dead for the 2002 election (as Kasey and my own dogs would put it). As I watched the buildup toward the Iraq war during the winter, I couldn't believe the arrogance with which we were treating our allies. I also couldn't believe that the Bush Administration was about to send our military to war without proof that Iraq was an imminent threat to our country. My wife got tired of hearing me yell at CNN and told me I needed to get involved and do something about it. She was right. I attended a protest here in Austin the day after the war started, because I wanted the rest of the country and the world to know that there were many Texans who were not just going to play along with what the Bush Administration was telling us.

I started looking around for a presidential candidate to support and knew nothing about Howard Dean, other than that I really liked Vermont (we went on a leaf-peeper trip to NH and Vermont last October -- spectacular). I saw Gov. Dean on C-Span last winter while channel surfing and really liked what he had to say, but didn't know if he could survive the overwhelming support for the war. I saw him again on C-Span in late July talking to a group in Iowa. My wife had not been paying much attention up to that point. I asked her to sit down and listen to this guy. After it was over, she asked me, "Can we send him some money?" For the first time in a long time I remembered what it was like to feel "patriotic". I HAD to support him.

I am new to this. I have never done anything but vote for a presidential candidate before. I now have attended 2 meetups here in Austin, presented an idea for Dean water stops at local runs at the Sept. meetup, attended the San Antonio Sleepless Tour event where I was 30 feet in front of Gov. Dean (download that speech if you haven't heard it -- the crowd was wild & he was awesome), and yesterday I handed out Dean stickers to people boarding the shuttle bus to the Austin City Limits Music Festival. I wear my Dean button every weekend when I run at the Austin Town Lake Hike and Bike Trail, and plan to wear my Dean shirt in several high profile runs this fall and winter. Next Saturday we are having an annual neighborhood garage sale, so I will be out in
my driveway with a table and flyers.

So far this campaign has been great therapy for my frustration at the Bush Administration doing almost EVERYTHING THEY CAN POSSIBLY DO TO WRECK OUR COUNTRY!!! ... There, I feel better now...."
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 08:23 am
I just found this on the blog and was so moved that I had to share it.

A young couple, about to be married that asked their guests to donate in their name to the Dean campaign. Such idealism! Such commitment!
Blanche Ramirez (the bride-to-be) says:

"...First have to thank all the wonderful Howard Dean supporters who gave to John and my Dean Team Wedding Registry. It is yet another reason to be hopeful for the future of this campaign and for America. This campaign has sparked a fire in me I have never seen. It has brought me such hope. I'll use the word again, hope. Until now, voting was the only way I have ever participated in politics. Now I am tabling for Dean, now I'm helping to organize Latino outreach for Dean, now I'm asking people to donate to the DFA campaign on the occasion of my wedding. Guess what? It feels right.

I am not a registered democrat. I have never been. I think I will be as soon as I get hold of a voter registration card. I have to do my part to make sure George W. Bush is not re-elected. My cousin is in Mosul and I am sleepless because I know he is sleepless. His letters tell me how low morale is. He tells me how bad things have gotten there and how little support they have. I do not believe one word from Rumsfeld and the president because I get war updates from someone on the front lines. I'm tired of the lies. I'm ready for a brighter future. Mostly, I'm ready for the truth and nothing makes me happier than to hear Governor Dean be asked a question, state his position and then say, "Now let me tell you why." Here is someone who will say it and stand behind it, like it or not. It's called strength of character. Isn't it about time we had a leader we can respect? I'm ready for it and I know we can do it. We really do have the power!

So please, give what you can. It's worth it!

Do it for the occasion, do it for Dean, do it for America. Again, thanks.

Much love,
blanche

Adelante con Dean!..."
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 05:48 pm
The Capital Times, Madison WI
October 4, 2003

Editorial: A tale of two very different candidates

Two candidates for president have chosen opposite ends of this weekend to bring their very different campaigns to Wisconsin. In so doing they have provided voters with precisely the sort of contrast that makes politics interesting and meaningful.
The first candidate to visit was President George W. Bush, who swept into Milwaukee on Friday for a $2,000-a-plate fund-raiser that his aides hope will collect another $800,000 for a re-election campaign.
The money will be added to the more than $84 million the campaign has already raised from special interest groups and givers who have benefited from tax cuts for the wealthy, free-trade policies that help Wall Street while harming Main Street, and farm policies that favor corporate agribusiness over working farmers.

The president's behind-closed-doors meeting with people who can afford to pay $2,000 apiece to whisper their latest requests in his ear will allow him to avoid contact with the mess he has created in Wisconsin, where the administration's economic policies devastated this state's manufacturing base, undermined the farm economy and reduced access to health care benefits for working families.

So, from the Bush campaign, it's insider politics as usual.
From the campaign of the other contender to visit Wisconsin this weekend comes a dramatically different signal.
Former Vermont Gov. Howard Dean, who many now see as the front-runner for the Democratic presidential nomination, will arrive in Madison this afternoon for a rally at 4 outside the Kohl Center.
The Dean rally is free and open to the public, and the candidate's backers are encouraging those who attend to bring donations of a canned good, nonperishable food or personal care item for the families of UFCW Local 538 members who have been on strike at the Tyson Foods plant in Jefferson County since Feb. 28.

The contrasts between the Bush and the Dean campaigns could not be more stark:
Bush came to Wisconsin to collect money from corporate interests.
Dean comes to Wisconsin to help residents of this state who have been victimized by corporate interests. Bush put a $2,000 price tag on access.
Dean's "price tag" is a can of food for a striking worker. Bush came into contact with an elite few Wisconsinites who will tell him what he wants to hear.
Dean will be seen by thousands and, if pattern holds, he will interact with all comers - those who are already enthusiastic supporters, those who are still deciding whom to back and even those who disagree.

There is a long time between now and November 2004, when the voters of Wisconsin will play a critical role in choosing the next president of the United States. There are no guarantees that they will be choosing between George W. Bush and Howard Dean. But if it comes down to a Bush-Dean contest, all evidence is that voters will be offered an opportunity to make a genuine choice not just between two different candidates of two different parties.

The choice will be between two different visions of America's future: one of elites gathering behind closed doors to decide what they will do next to working families in places like Wisconsin, the other of citizens gathering out in the open to help those working families.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 08:29 pm
Dean talks abut the deficit, about rising tuition, and says Bush's tax cut "was not a tax cut for the middle class" but a property tax hike on the middle class. He talks about cuts to Pell grants and veterans' benefits and says, "These are not the things that a great president does."

(from the blog 10.06.03)
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 01:53 pm
Dear diary,

I got my picture in the Dean blog today (giving a Dean presentation to a group of seniors). Gee, I guess this is my fifteen minutes of fame!
...maybe if I post the link here I can s-t--r---e---t---c---h i---t o---u---t a l---i---t---t---l---e l---o---n---g---e---r. :-)

http://www.blogforamerica.com/
Stories from Senior Outreach Week
0 Replies