AMERICAN CONSERVATISM IN 2008 AND BEYOND

mysteryman

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 06:06 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
So 20 billion doesnt matter?

Let me answer your question...
Eliminate the Dept of Education...that would save $49.7 billion

Eliminate the Corporation for National and Community Service...that would save $1.416 billion

$4.9? billion for the Army Corps of Engineers, why?
Arent they part of the DoD?

The budget for the National intelligence Program is classified, but according to the Federal Budget fact sheet they do the same thing that the DoD intelligence services do, except for the CIA.

Eliminate HUD...that saves $41.6 billion

Thats just a start.
I'm sure that if I went thru the entire budget I could find much more.
I just saved almost $100 billion right there.
parados

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 06:16 pm
@mysteryman,
Did you really?

Eliminate the Dept of Education - States would have to raise taxes to cover the lost revenue OR States would just ignore the Federal education mandates leaving hundreds of thousands of children without an educational opportunity which in turn results in higher costs for police, courts and jails.

The Army Corps of Engineers takes care of US waterways. Eliminating them will either reduce the DoD budget for other services or leave our waterways to fall into disrepair with no flood plans or plans that compete from state to state.

The NIA? sure.. why not. Why do we need a civilian spy agency when we can let the military spy on American Citizens instead.

HUD? They administer FHA. I'm sure the loss of FHA loans won't have any consequences on house prices or new home construction. The economy should just keep on rolling along, don't you think MM?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 06:17 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

So 20 billion doesnt matter?

It isn't a solution to the budget problem, no.

Quote:
Let me answer your question...
Eliminate the Dept of Education...that would save $49.7 billion

Great. Now, how are you going to fund all those schools and such which currently are getting funding from them? You are really talking about shifting money around, not cutting money needed.

Quote:
Eliminate the Corporation for National and Community Service...that would save $1.416 billion

Once again, do you think they actually don't DO things? Or you just don't care if those things get done or not?

Quote:

Dunno. Probably a good place to start.

Quote:
The budget for the National intelligence Program is classified, but according to the Federal Budget fact sheet they do the same thing that the DoD intelligence services do, except for the CIA.

Agreed, though some redundancy in our intelligence service probably isn't a terrible thing.

Quote:
Eliminate HUD...that saves $41.6 billion

Laughing Do you have any idea what they actually DO? Or are you just a fan of eliminating them, because you don't understand?

Quote:
Thats just a start.
I'm sure that if I went thru the entire budget I could find much more.
I just saved almost $100 billion right there.

Okay, great. Now find 10 times that much. And figure out what isn't going to simply cost money elsewhere - doesn't do any good to eliminate a Federal program which simply is then going to fall on the State to fully fund, the State will just jack your taxes up. That's what it will take just to balance the budget.

Now find another four times that much, on top of the first bit, and cut that too; because that's the MINIMUM amount that would have to be cut in order to start actually servicing the debt.

Cycloptichorn
mysteryman

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 06:30 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I have already said tha taxes would have to be raised also, and that is the other half of the solution.

My concern with raising taxes is that the govt has a nasty habit of raising taxes and not cutting spending.
I would like to see some serious spending cuts made BEFORE there is any talk of raising taxes.
maporsche

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 06:39 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

I would like to see some serious spending cuts made BEFORE there is any talk of raising taxes.

For sure. I would like to see $1 in federal government spending cut for every $2 we raise in taxes. Maybe even 2:5.

Much of this can come from defense, although I agree about the programs that have already been mentioned.

How come a $100 million reduction by Obama warrents front page news and press conferences, but people here are laughing about saving $50,000 million? Like it's insignificant.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 06:43 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:

Quote:
Dunno. Probably a good place to start.

I think that you've got the votes of a lot of folks in New Orleans.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 06:44 pm
The President's proposed budget: $3.8 Trillion
The projected deficit: $1.6 Trillion

$1 Million times 1,000 = $1 Billion
$1 Billion times 1,000 = $1 Trillion or
$1 Million times 1,000,000 = $1 Trillion or
$100 Billion times 10 = $1 Trillion

Eliminating the pig odor expenditure ($1 Million) is fine with me. Let the pork industry pay for it. A drop in the bucket - but I watch every penny at my business. Why shouldn't the government?
I commend - but do not necessarily agree with - Mysteryman for suggesting a list of cuts totaling $100 Billion. But we are going to have to come up with 16 times that amount to balance the budget.
Defense, National Security, Social Security, Medicare seem to be off the table. To sensitive politically to touch in any year, much less in an election year.
Please check my math and let's continue the discussion.
Thanks.

ps-sorry about the truck, jeff. we on a2k can write letters of reference if that might help.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 07:49 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:

Quote:

It would be a long process, but could eventually do it by growing ourselves out of the hole.

Has this ever happened before, in the history of America?

It has to happen that way. You will not reduce deficits or the debt in recessions wherein the economy quits churning out the tax revenues at a healthy level. That is why I assert that any deficit reduction policy must incorporate a healthy and growing economy.

Quote:
Quote:
Cutting spending would be at the top of my list, along with targeted tax cuts to stimulate the economy, which could at least maintain close to current revenues if not grow them.

How do you figure that tax cuts will maintain 'close' to current revenues? The definition of cutting taxes is that revenues are cut. Once again, can you point to any time this has happened historically?
Again your ignorance shows. Tax revenues are not directly proportional to tax rates, because tax rates affect the economy. This is elementary, so you need to brush up on this , cyclops. It is similar to a retailer that makes a decision about raising his prices, he cannot assume that he will sell the same number of units at a higher price, that is utterly ridiculous, but that is exactly what liberals like yourself do here all the time. Surely you must know that Sam Walton built the Walmart empire by not raising prices to increase gross sales, but he instead reduced prices to the bare bone and made a fortune by selling much higher quanitities. The same principle applies to tax rates to some extent, not entirely, but part of that principle is always part of the equation. We have argued the Laffer Curve numerous times, but you still have not caught on to the principle of it.

And to repeat, JFK and Reagan both increased tax revenues by lowering tax rates. This is history.

Quote:
Quote:
One of my first targets would be a few federal bureacracies, such as Department of Education, Department of Energy, Department of the Interior, the Ag Department, and on down the list.

You would cut these entire departments? Or just the parts of them you don't like. Be more specific please.

Perhaps not, for sure not in the case of all of them. But the Department of Education is one big one, it should go to local people, the people that care about their children, its time for the locals to pick up the slack, and besides, alot of waste occurs in Washington, and that can be eliminated by shortening the route of how the money finds its way into the schools. The cost of education is out of control, and it needs fixing.
Quote:
Quote:

I would look at a federal hiring and wage freeze as well, no more automatic raises.

What about cost of living/inflation raises? This is essentially what private sector employees get; should public employees get that as well?

No. The government is broke. How many ways do you need to be told, the government is broke, it cannot afford any more cost of living raises. Besides, not all private sector get raises regularly, no way.

Quote:
Quote:
I would examine the federal budget and bureaucracy from top to bottom. We know it can be done, because Gingrich was successful in the 90's. The biggest factor however is a healthy economy that will deliver tax revenues from existing or lower tax rates. Raising tax rates will only bring further stagnation of the economy. I think we are already near the peak of the Laffer Curve.

Well, our economy grew for something like 40 straight years with a top tax rate almost double the current one, so the idea that we are near the peak of the (idiotic) 'curve' is ridiculous and unsupported by data.

I would remind you that without Clinton's tax raises, Gingrich's work in the 90's would not have lead to a balanced budget in any way, shape or form.

Quote:
To really get serious about this, I would seriously push the National Retail Sales Tax, which has the potential to unleash a tremendous burst of growth into a much more productive and competitive United States.

Mmm hmm. It also potentially saves the rich huge amounts, which is why I suspect you are for it.

No, not the reason. I am for it because the IRS is a total disaster, and with the retail sales tax, we suddenly collect tax from illegals, drug dealers, and other criminals that operate under the radar. Rich people still would pay alot more tax. We can also exempt food, and also housing under a certain threshold. It would be simpler and we already have the infrastructure to collect the tax, as almost every state operates by collecting retail sales tax already. By taxing purchases instead of productivity, we place foreign goods on the same playing field with domestic, plus it places alot more money into peoples pockets to begin with. By eliminating taxes on businesses and productivity, not only our economy booms, but our exports would skyrocket, thus providing more jobs and growing the economy, it would be a domino effect in a postivie way.

Quote:
Well, you've done more than any other Conservative here, but you still haven't really addressed the issue that you cannot grow your way out of deficits and debts by cutting taxes.
That is the only way to get out of debt. You will not do it with a shrinking economy. No sane person solves his household budget by spending more and working less. You have to combine more work with less spending, this is simple common sense, which I guess Democrats do not have?
ican711nm

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 08:18 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
ican's additional comments
Cycloptichorn wrote:

ican: Raising tax rates will not pay for reducing fed debt, because raising tax rates will further discourage purchasing and investing both by individuals and companies, and that in turn will reduce the magnitude of incomes taxed, thereby reducing fed receipts.

Cycloptichorn: This has not historically been the case. Refer to Clinton's term if you want proof, because this did not happen, after he significantly raised taxes. In fact the opposite happened; there was an explosion of jobs in America and Federal receipts skyrocketed.
The case you should examine and which is most demonstrative of my point is Reagan term. Reagan reduced the max tax rate from 70% to below 40%, and they stayed below 40% to the present.. Jobs and federal receipts increased thereafter with few exceptions. However, because outlays steadily increased throughout that period, deficits continued to exist throughout that period with four exceptions in Clinton's last three years and Bush's first year.

ican: Lowering tax rates will encourage purchasing and investing both by individuals and companies, and that in turn will increase the magnitude of incomes taxed, thereby increasing fed receipts.

Cycloptichorn: This has not historically been the case. Refer to Bush Jr.'s term if you want proof. He lowered tax rates on the rich, and jobs grew at an anemic rate and receipts fell tremendously from the levels they were at before.

Bush's receipts increased every year except 2001 through 2004, and rose above what they were in 2000 in 2005. After that they had increased by more than 500 billion by 2009. There was a slightly greater increase in jobs during Reagan's 8 years than in Clinton's 8 years.
Quote:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/fy2008/pdf/hist.pdf
Year…….$Receipts…....…$Increase
1981….599,272,000... -----------------
1989….991,190,000 ... 391,918,000 [Reagan 1981 to 1989]
1993..1,154,471,000... 163,281,000 [Bush41 1989 to 1993]
2001..1,991,426,000... 836,955,000 [Clinton 1993 to 2001]
2009..2,699,547,000... 708,121,000 [Bush43 2001 to 2009]

Quote:

ftp://ftp.bls.gov/pub/suppl/empsit.cpseea1.txt
Year.............Total Civil Employed.......Increase
1981.................. 100,397,000........... ----------------
1989................. 117,342,000.......... 16,945,000[REAGAN 1981 - 1989]
1993................. 120,259,000........... 2,917,000 [BUSH41 1989-1993]
2001................ 136,933,000........... 16,674,000 [CLINTON 1993-2001]
2009................ 139,959,000............ 3,026,000 [BUSH43 2001-2009]

ican: Reduce fed spending on unnecessary fed duplicate agencies, and reduce fed spending on surplus federal employees.

Cycloptichorn: What the hell does this sentence even mean?
There exist a large number of federal agencies that could be reduced to only a few agencies that would accomplish the same or more. That would in turn reduce the number of federal employees. All of that would reduce federal spending.

0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 08:22 pm
The CATO Institute, half a year back, made this suggestion re the Department of Agriculture:
> Eliminate all government subsidies of crop production. $24 Bn. Most of that goes for corn. Eliminate tariffs on imported grain production.
> End all Federal involvement in programs like food stamps, school lunches and WIC which are "properly, local and private functions." The saving to the Federal gov't would be $79 Bn.
Together, the $100+ Bn would take out 90% of USDA's budget and would leave them only to monitor food safety.,
Does that seem like something yall could live with as we search for ways to eliminate the $1.6 Trillion deficit?
parados

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 09:37 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

The CATO Institute, half a year back, made this suggestion re the Department of Agriculture:
> Eliminate all government subsidies of crop production. $24 Bn.
Yes, some of the subsidies are ridiculous. The government has started to cut subsidies for millionaire farmers.
Quote:
Most of that goes for corn. Eliminate tariffs on imported grain production.
I guess CATO doesn't realize that we EXPORT grain. Of course if we eliminated subsidies we could drive 80% of farmers out of business but that isn't going to help tax revenues since people will now be paying more for imported food.
Quote:

> End all Federal involvement in programs like food stamps, school lunches and WIC which are "properly, local and private functions." The saving to the Federal gov't would be $79 Bn.
Total tax savings for the American taxpayer would be ZERO if you just transfer it to local taxes.
Quote:

Together, the $100+ Bn would take out 90% of USDA's budget and would leave them only to monitor food safety.,
Does that seem like something yall could live with as we search for ways to eliminate the $1.6 Trillion deficit?

I could live with some of it but eliminating spending without seeing how it affects revenues is short sighted.
maporsche

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 09:47 pm
@realjohnboy,
Yes.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 09:49 pm
@parados,
Quote:
Total tax savings for the American taxpayer would be ZERO if you just transfer it to local taxes.

Who's looking for tax savings? It's about reducing the federal deficit. As you pointed out in another post, States cannot run deficits (or at least can't print money to finance them). Take this burden off the federal government, stop them from borrowing money from China to pay for it. Let the states raise taxes on themselves if they want these programs in their states.

And some states would spend less on these programs, which would result in a net tax savings for some states.
parados

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 09:54 pm
@maporsche,
Which all goes back to why the Federal government took them over in the first place.
maporsche

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 09:58 pm
@parados,
Yes, in a time where we were more prosperous.

Alternatively, we could cut some SS or Medicare benefits.

I think we really need to look at reducing military spending. However, Obama's most current budget set a record for military spending, so I don't think the chances of that are any good.
maporsche

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 10:06 pm
@parados,
Do you disagree that spending cuts are needed to reduce the federal debt?

I mean look at the 10 year estimates that came out; how much would we have to raise taxes to eliminate the deficit and pay off the debt in say 25 years?

It's not as simple as raising taxes on the rich; they don't have that much money. Spending HAS to be cut (by quite a lot).
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 10:24 pm
Okay. So for the sake of discussion, we are taking $100 Bn out of the Agriculture Dept and $100 Bn using Mysteryman's proposals. We have now, I think, eliminated 1/8th of the budget deficit. Where should we go next?
I suggest we tally these all up, realizing that the $100 Bn in Agriculture won't happen in total for example.
But let's try to figure out a way to balance the budget. Move on to some other department. Please do your own research on what they do and how much they spend and what could be cut.
Thanks for playing.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 10:29 pm
@maporsche,
SS and Medicare are going to have to be on the block but I d0n't know of too many conservatives or any other politicians willing to take that up.

The sheer size of the military budget means it will have to be cut.

For an exercise.

Defense budget - 692
Veterans Aff - 124
Legislative Br - 5
Courts - 7
Justice Dept - 30
SS - 768
Homeland Sec - 52
Interest on debt - 499
WH - .7

That alone adds up to 2.178 trillion dollars compared to the projected revenues of 2.165 trillion

At this point we have fired everyone that works for the federal government and shuttered every agency but those listed. The government consists of Congress, the WH, the courts, Justice dept, SS administration and defense and homeland security
No more state department, no foreign aid, no commerce depart, no FDA, no IRS to collect taxes, no labor department, no transportation.

Of course if we eliminated some of those like labor (unemployment tax) and transportation (gas tax) we couldn't really get revenues from those departments any more so we would still have a deficit this year.
parados

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 10:46 pm
@parados,
I need to make a couple of revisions. I used total debt interest and not the public held debt

Defense budget - 692
Veterans Aff - 124
Legislative Br - 5
Courts - 7
Justice Dept - 30
SS - 721 (revised down based on breakout in budget)
Homeland Sec - 52
Interest on debt - 187
WH - .7

But I completely forgot to include Medicare
Medicare - 457

New total 2.275 trillion with the 2.165 revenues.
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 10:54 pm
@parados,
I am afraid you lost me, Parados, on what you are reporting. Expenditures...in Billions?