AMERICAN CONSERVATISM IN 2008 AND BEYOND

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 04:19 pm
@okie,
I'd also like to refer you to real-life examples of what happens when Conservatives run the local government and refuse to run the place responsibly:

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_14303473

Quote:
More than a third of the streetlights in Colorado Springs will go dark Monday. The police helicopters are for sale on the Internet. The city is dumping firefighting jobs, a vice team, burglary investigators, beat cops " dozens of police and fire positions will go unfilled.

The parks department removed trash cans last week, replacing them with signs urging users to pack out their own litter.

Neighbors are encouraged to bring their own lawn mowers to local green spaces, because parks workers will mow them only once every two weeks. If that. Water cutbacks mean most parks will be dead, brown turf by July; the flower and fertilizer budget is zero.

No parks, no street lights, no trash service, no road repair, no firemen, no cops. This is the vision of Conservative utopia.

Cycloptichorn
mysteryman

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 04:20 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I agree 100%.
But that doesnt mean we cant do an agency by agency study of jobs and eliminate all of them that are redundant.

Then we eliminate all of the federal programs that are redundant.
That would save millions of dollars also.
parados

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 04:21 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Actually, it would allow anyone to use the airwaves. TV stations would not have exclusive use and I could jam any station I don't like without a legal recourse from those station owners.

Limbaugh and Hannity are protected from that by the Federal government. They are sucking off the government tit they despise.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 04:27 pm
@ican711nm,
ican711nm wrote:

Raising tax rates will not pay for reducing fed debt, because raising tax rates will further discourage purchasing and investing both by individuals and companies, and that in turn will reduce the magnitude of incomes taxed, thereby reducing fed receipts.
Could you explain why there was a surplus then during CLinton's term as President with the taxes higher than they are now?

Quote:

Lowering tax rates will encourage purchasing and investing both by individuals and companies, and that in turn will increase the magnitude of incomes taxed, thereby increasing fed receipts.
Then explain why after Bush lowered taxes we have gone from a surplus to the largest deficits in history.

Quote:

Reduce fed spending on unnecessary fed duplicate agencies, and reduce fed spending on surplu sfederal employees.
Could you tell us what those agencies are? Be specific. I am curious if you know how to add 2+2 let alone get to 1.6 trillion.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 04:29 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Nowhere in that article did it say conservatives ran the city govt.
As a matter of fact, what it did say was

Quote:
The deep recession bit into Colorado Springs sales-tax collections, while pension and health care costs for city employees continued to soar. Sales-tax updates have become a regular exercise in flinching for Mayor Lionel Rivera.

But I notice that nobody mentioned cutting the pension and making city employees pay for their own healthcare.

Quote:
Voters in November said an emphatic no to a tripling of property tax that would have restored $27.6 million to the city's $212 million general fund budget. Fowler and many other residents say voters don't trust city government to wisely spend a general tax increase and don't believe the current cuts are the only way to balance a budget.

If the city cant spend wisely now, why should they be rewarded with more money?
Unless you think every person in that city is a conservative.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 04:30 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

I agree 100%.
But that doesnt mean we cant do an agency by agency study of jobs and eliminate all of them that are redundant.

Then we eliminate all of the federal programs that are redundant.
That would save millions of dollars also.

Sure, I have no problem with that. And a combination of this and tax raises will address our issues.

But we need to save BILLIONS. Trillions. That can't be done by merely trimming the fat, as we have already concluded.

As Parados has pointed out, there are a lot of effects to cutting jobs that you may not have thought of at first... a lot of these positions were created in response to actual needs of the country. Are we just going to ignore the stuff that needs to get done, in the name of the lowest taxes possible?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 04:31 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

Nowhere in that article did it say conservatives ran the city govt.
As a matter of fact, what it did say was

Quote:
The deep recession bit into Colorado Springs sales-tax collections, while pension and health care costs for city employees continued to soar. Sales-tax updates have become a regular exercise in flinching for Mayor Lionel Rivera.

But I notice that nobody mentioned cutting the pension and making city employees pay for their own healthcare.

Quote:
Voters in November said an emphatic no to a tripling of property tax that would have restored $27.6 million to the city's $212 million general fund budget. Fowler and many other residents say voters don't trust city government to wisely spend a general tax increase and don't believe the current cuts are the only way to balance a budget.

If the city cant spend wisely now, why should they be rewarded with more money?
Unless you think every person in that city is a conservative.

Colorado Springs is the most evangelical Christian city in one of the most Conservative counties in the nation. And has been for a long time.

Cycloptichorn
mysteryman

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 04:37 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Colorado Springs is the most evangelical Christian city in one of the most Conservative counties in the nation. And has been for a long time.

Cycloptichorn

That may be true, I dont know.
But that doesnt negate my point.
Why arent they talking about making city employees pay for their own healthcare or reducingg pensions?
Why is it the first thing the left goes for in any type of economic crisis raising taxes?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 04:40 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

Quote:

Cycloptichorn

That may be true, I dont know.
But that doesnt negate my point.
Why arent they talking about making city employees pay for their own healthcare or reducingg pensions?

Probably because the employees of the city would revolt and quit. Can you imagine your workplace cutting your pension and healthcare all at the same time, and continuing to work there? I certainly wouldn't.

Conservatives argue that they would be replaced with people who are willing to work for less; but those are then shitty jobs that will not be taken by people who have self-respect and intelligence. Is that who you want running your city?

Quote:
Why is it the first thing the left goes for in any type of economic crisis raising taxes?

I would think that a large part of it is the fact that Conservatives tend to slash the **** out of taxes whenever there is a shadow of a surplus; so then when things go bad, the tax base isn't there to support the necessary functions of the city or state or nation. This is exactly what Bush did in 2001 and it was a total catastrophe for our nation.

Cycloptichorn
mysteryman

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 05:08 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Probably because the employees of the city would revolt and quit. Can you imagine your workplace cutting your pension and healthcare all at the same time, and continuing to work there? I certainly wouldn't.

I guess that depends.
If not agreeing to the cuts meant that I would not have a job, then I would probably agree to them.

Quote:
Conservatives argue that they would be replaced with people who are willing to work for less; but those are then shitty jobs that will not be taken by people who have self-respect and intelligence

I'm not sure what this sentence means.

Quote:
I would think that a large part of it is the fact that Conservatives tend to slash the **** out of taxes whenever there is a shadow of a surplus

If there is a budget surplus, that means the govt (city, county, state, or federal) that has the surplus didnt need all of the money they took in.
So what is wrong with giving that money back to the people that earned it?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 05:14 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

Quote:

I guess that depends.
If not agreeing to the cuts meant that I would not have a job, then I would probably agree to them.

****, I wouldn't - I'd find another job as soon as possible. This is the exact situation that large-scale cutbacks will create. It is not a good thing for the city involved.

Quote:
Quote:
Conservatives argue that they would be replaced with people who are willing to work for less; but those are then shitty jobs that will not be taken by people who have self-respect and intelligence

I'm not sure what this sentence means.

It means that poorly-paying jobs with no healthcare are not jobs which attract quality people. You will have dumbasses and people with little to no experience running the town; it doesn't bode well for the people and the city involved.

If public-sector jobs can't keep pace with private sector pay, why do you think people would take them? We need competent people overseeing the spending of community dollars, or they will be wasted to an even greater degree then now.

Quote:
Quote:
I would think that a large part of it is the fact that Conservatives tend to slash the **** out of taxes whenever there is a shadow of a surplus

If there is a budget surplus, that means the govt (city, county, state, or federal) that has the surplus didnt need all of the money they took in.
So what is wrong with giving that money back to the people that earned it?
[/quote]

For the same reason that you don't currently spend every single cent that you make, over your bills, every month: it's short-sighted thinking. If you don't plan for lean times in the future, you get screwed when they come around.

Especially re: state and federal funding. The fact that Bush cut taxes when we had trillions of dollars of debt, which were successfully being paid down by surpluses and a balanced budget, is criminal in it's stupidity.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

BigTexN

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 05:19 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
The Conservatives on this thread seem to have been unable to articulate exactly how they would do these things without raising taxes...

Allow me to step up to this challenge....

The answer is VERY simple...these things can be accomplished the EXACT same way that every average American household handles things when they hit tough times. They can't go to their boss and demand additional income so they cut back on the foolishness!

Tighten your belt until you're out of the hole!
No more private government jets for Mrs. Pelosi.
No bridges to nowhere.
No government funded studies of the breeding habits of tree frogs in Costa Rica.

You just say NO!

It's painfully obvious...unless you're a spendaholic.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 05:22 pm
@BigTexN,
BigTexN wrote:

Quote:
The Conservatives on this thread seem to have been unable to articulate exactly how they would do these things without raising taxes...

Allow me to step up to this challenge....

The answer is VERY simple...these things can be accomplished the EXACT same way that every average American household handles things when they hit tough times. They can't go to their boss and demand additional income so they cut back on the foolishness!

Tighten your belt until you're out of the hole!
No bridges to nowhere.
No government funded studies of the breeding habits of tree frogs in Costa Rica.

You just say NO!

It's painfully obvious...unless you're a spendaholic.

You don't know what you are talking about. You cannot pay down the debt by cutting spending without raising taxes. Simply asserting that you can do so is the mark of someone who has not bothered to actually look at the problem at all.

Or perhaps you could detail where and what you would cut - not fictitious items like the ones you listed; actual programs that you would axe and the amounts they would save. I also wonder if you are willing to do the same with defense spending?

Cycloptichorn
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 05:30 pm
@BigTexN,
BigTexN wrote:

Is that claim still circulating out there? That dates back to mid-2007, I believe.
JTT

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 05:33 pm
@BigTexN,
Quote:
No government funded studies of the breeding habits of tree frogs in Costa Rica. No damn ejacation at all. I hate edjaction, have since I flunked third grade five times. After that, no more for me! I'd had my fill of that stuff.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 05:41 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Or perhaps you could detail where and what you would cut - not fictitious items like the ones you listed; actual programs that you would axe and the amounts they would save. I also wonder if you are willing to do the same with defense spending?

Here is a report from 2005 that details specific ways the govt could save money and cut spending.
To the best of my knowledge, none of these have been corrected or implemented...

http://www.heritage.org/Research/Budget/bg1840.cfm

Another resource you can use to determine where to cut spending is here...
http://www.cagw.org/

Even if you dont agree with all of their conclusions (and I dont), even you have to admit that $1.8 million to study why pigs smell is a waste of money.
JTT

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 05:44 pm
@mysteryman,
Quote:
even you have to admit that $1.8 million to study why pigs smell is a waste of money.

Knowing how thoroughly you research things and the overall keenness of your mind, I'd have to say that I agree with, MM.
mysteryman

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 05:47 pm
@realjohnboy,
And according to the US air Force, its at least partially true.

http://www.rightsidenews.com/201001298431/politics-and-economics/new-documents-detailing-pelosis-use-of-air-force-aircraft.html

0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 05:47 pm
@mysteryman,
I added up the recommendations in the first link; it would be, total - and that's if everything they say turns out to be accurate, let's just be generous and say that it is - somewhere around 50 billion dollars. Which isn't a bad start, but is chump change compared to cutting ACTUAL expenses from the government.

It certainly comes nowhere close to balancing our books. It would take deep and real cuts to many programs, including heavy cuts to the military, to do this; I want to know which programs need to be cut. Not ones which have a little fat to be trimmed, but programs which should be completely axed.

CAGW spends it's time bitching about 20 billion in earmarks- once again, a joke compared to our actual financial problems.

Cycloptichorn
mysteryman

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 05:52 pm
@JTT,
Try reading for yourself.

http://www.cagw.org/reports/pig-book/2009/

0 Replies