AMERICAN CONSERVATISM IN 2008 AND BEYOND

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 02:17 pm
Let's add another question to that opinion poll:

Do you trust the President and Congress to pass a general healthcare reform bill with broad goals now with their verbal pledge to work out the details later or do you want to know specifically what will and will not be included and all important ambiguities eliminated before the bill is signed into law?

That one can't be answered with a simple yes or no, but it can be answered by just about everybody who is closely following this issue.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 02:20 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
The question asks people if they want tort reform with the qualification of what they would expect tort reform to accomplish.

I agree with that. The problem is that the question wouldn't leave it to those polled to state what kind of expectations they had for tort reform. Instead, you add your expectations for tort reform as a qualification to the question. I believe that's usually called a "leading question".

Foxfyre wrote:
Tort reform, without such qualification, is as ambiguous and meaningless as healthcare reform is without describing specifically what is intended by such reform.

That is true. So if you want to get opinions on the issue, you could simply break the question up into two questions that don't imply a certain conclusion:

Do you want Congress to enact tort reform? and
Do you expect tort reform to reduce health insurance premiums?

Foxfyre wrote:
If Obama can say that he wants to give every citizen healthcare insurance without increasing costs or the deficit, then the taxpayers have the same degree of authority to say that they want tort reform of a kind that will reduce insurance premiums.

I'm not at all saying that you can't state your opinion about tort reform, even if without data to support it. I'm saying that if you really want to get people's opinions on the issue, you shouldn't ask them leading questions.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 02:25 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

Intelligent people know the difference between ambiguous sense of approval of a person and a specific issue within a specific plan. Do you?

Approval of Obama himself is NOT approval of everything he says, intends, or proposes to anybody but the kool-ade drinkers. Especially kool-ade drinkers who would say that some of those questions--the ones the kool-ade drinkers don't want to answer--aren't really questions.

This is really a little ridiculous. Is it possible for you to consider formulations which do not paint your opponents as idiots- by definition?

There's not a single one of those 'questions' I don't want to answer - but at the same time, you should realize that you are asking Leading questions. It's quite obvious that you have very little experience with the formulation of polling questions, and why it's very important not to do this - unless, as you in this case, you are looking for certain answers. Your questions are designed to produce the answers you want. That's a bad thing in polls.

Quote:
You break those questions down as I did and let the people choose how each one should be answered in national healthcare reform, and you come up with reform that nowhere resembles what Obama is proposing.

Yeah, let's let teh peoplez design policy and write new laws. That's a great plan for having a cohesive and complete bill upon which all Americans can agree.

Rolling Eyes

You state,

Quote:

Until there is a national debate on these specific issues, we will not--repeat will not--have the approval of a majority of people who will have to live with whatever Congress and the President come up with.

What makes you think there isn't a 'national debate' on these issues? We've been talking about nothing else for 3 months now!

Cycloptichorn
old europe

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 02:31 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
You break those questions down as I did and let the people choose how each one should be answered in national healthcare reform, and you come up with reform that nowhere resembles what Obama is proposing.

Yeah, let's let teh peoplez design policy and write new laws. That's a great plan for having a cohesive and complete bill upon which all Americans can agree.

It's funny. Foxfyre usually seems to be quite fond of explaining that the United States are a constitutional republic, not a democracy. Well, the issue was discussed during the last election cycle, and the representatives were elected accordingly.

What's up with all of those demands to "let the people choose"?
JPB

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 02:39 pm
@Foxfyre,
I'm not sure how you got to that response from my post. Where does Big Insurance vs Big Food equate to Big Government Interventions? This is a private sector battle in the extreme. Once insurance companies have to carry some risk, for which they are rewarded by profits --- you know.... capitalism, then the profit motive becomes more reasonable and the different corners of the private sector get to battle it out.

Oh --- I forgot.... you think insurance companies already carry plenty of risk by denying coverage to anyone who's sick.
Foxfyre

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 02:59 pm
@old europe,
old europe wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:
The question asks people if they want tort reform with the qualification of what they would expect tort reform to accomplish.

I agree with that. The problem is that the question wouldn't leave it to those polled to state what kind of expectations they had for tort reform. Instead, you add your expectations for tort reform as a qualification to the question. I believe that's usually called a "leading question".

Foxfyre wrote:
Tort reform, without such qualification, is as ambiguous and meaningless as healthcare reform is without describing specifically what is intended by such reform.

That is true. So if you want to get opinions on the issue, you could simply break the question up into two questions that don't imply a certain conclusion:

Do you want Congress to enact tort reform? and
Do you expect tort reform to reduce health insurance premiums?]

The people are already demanding it. Yes the question is intentionally leading, but at least it is specific and should advise Congress that this is what the people want and that would be the purpose for asking it. To be fair, I would construct the poll to allow for expressions of 'extremely important' graduating down to 'not very important' or 'not at all important'. This could inform Congress of the amount of education necessary if the people are demanding something unreasonable or that cannot be reasonably accomplished.

Your question "Do you want Congress to pass tort reform" is so all encompassing that there is no way to answer it with any kind of informed opinion.

Whether dealing with education or immigration or healthcare or legal issues, it is necessary to specify what is meant by 'reform' if you really want the opinion of anybody. Who could be opposed to 'reforming' education? Of course everyone says yes to what they consider reform. But if they later find out that 'education reform' actually meant forced indoctrination of students with ideological notions to the exclusion of all other points of view, most, if asked again, would likely answer no.

Quote:
Foxfyre wrote:
If Obama can say that he wants to give every citizen healthcare insurance without increasing costs or the deficit, then the taxpayers have the same degree of authority to say that they want tort reform of a kind that will reduce insurance premiums.

I'm not at all saying that you can't state your opinion about tort reform, even if without data to support it. I'm saying that if you really want to get people's opinions on the issue, you shouldn't ask them leading questions.

I agree I could have phrased my question in a way to be less leading. But it was no more leading than your question of an expectation of reduced insurance premiums. If you want to know what the people are thinking, you better ask them what they are thinking about the hot button issues of the day.

To ask people if they approve or disapprove of President Obama really tells you nothing. But if you ask people if they disapprove or approve of the President's approach to healthcare reform or taxes or tort reform or relations with Israel or Iran or whatever, then you get a much clearer picture of how successful he actually is with the American people.

And for you and Cyclop to extrapolate the idea that polling for the opinion of the people is wanting the people to write and enact the legislation is so....so....so very modern American liberal of you both. Not quite to the numbnut level, but dangerously close.
Foxfyre

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 03:00 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

I'm not sure how you got to that response from my post. Where does Big Insurance vs Big Food equate to Big Government Interventions? This is a private sector battle in the extreme. Once insurance companies have to carry some risk, for which they are rewarded by profits --- you know.... capitalism, then the profit motive becomes more reasonable and the different corners of the private sector get to battle it out.

Oh --- I forgot.... you think insurance companies already carry plenty of risk by denying coverage to anyone who's sick.

Your statement is so absurd and you are so blatantly and intentionally misrepresenting my stated position on that, I think I'll just let it pass without dignifying it with a comment.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 03:12 pm
@old europe,
old europe wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

It's funny. Foxfyre usually seems to be quite fond of explaining that the United States are a constitutional republic, not a democracy. Well, the issue was discussed during the last election cycle, and the representatives were elected accordingly.

What's up with all of those demands to "let the people choose"?

Well, it's easier to understand, if you realize that Fox says 'the people' when in fact she means 'me and people who agree with me.'

Just look at this response to your post -

Quote:

The people are already demanding it. Yes the question is intentionally leading, but at least it is specific and should advise Congress that this is what the people want and that would be the purpose for asking it.

She's already come up with the conclusion, and the purpose of the question - in her mind - isn't to find out if people agree with her, it's to produce a specific result and use that result as leverage to try and get legislation written. Fox actually, truly believes that leading questions are okay and valid as long as they produce the answers one wants to hear.

Is it not completely and totally obvious at this point, that the devoted followers of Rasmussen have a fundamentally different image of what polling is than the traditional one? What the purpose of it is?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 03:24 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
The people are already demanding it. Yes the question is intentionally leading, but at least it is specific and should advise Congress that this is what the people want and that would be the purpose for asking it.

Well, it seems that I was talking about polls, whereas you were talking about push polls. No wonder we're talking past each other.

Foxfyre wrote:
Your question "Do you want Congress to pass tort reform" is so all encompassing that there is no way to answer it with any kind of informed opinion.

Of course there is. You can answer "yes", "no" or "no opinion". In an informed kind of way.

Foxfyre wrote:
I agree I could have phrased my question in a way to be less leading. But it was no more leading than your question of an expectation of reduced insurance premiums.

It was more leading, because it implied a certain outcome of an action that the question was about without asking people whether or not they agreed with the stated outcome. My question simply asked whether people agree with a certain expected outcome.

You can ask the question even more open, as in What do you expect tort reform to accomplish?, but such an open question might be outside of the scope of a poll.

Foxfyre wrote:
To ask people if they approve or disapprove of President Obama really tells you nothing.

In that case, you should maybe tell Rasmussen that their opinion polling is pointless.

Foxfyre wrote:
But if you ask people if they disapprove or approve of the President's approach to healthcare reform or taxes or tort reform or relations with Israel or Iran or whatever, then you get a much clearer picture of how successful he actually is with the American people.

I would say that in that case, you get an impression of what people think about those specific issues.

I also think that you're dramatically over- and understating the significance of specific polls.

Foxfyre wrote:
And for you and Cyclop to extrapolate the idea that polling for the opinion of the people is wanting the people to write and enact the legislation is so....so....so very modern American liberal of you both. Not quite to the numbnut level, but dangerously close.

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to extrapolate.

You know, I was under the impression that "governing by opinion poll" was a really bad thing. As in "that's what Clinton did" bad. I also seem to remember conservatives here praising Bush for not giving a flying fig about opinion polls.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 03:27 pm
@old europe,
Quote:

You know, I was under the impression that "governing by opinion poll" was a really bad thing. As in "that's what Clinton did" bad. I also seem to remember conservatives here praising Bush for not giving a flying fig about opinion polls.

Dude, +50 points for you on this one. I hadn't even thought of that.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 03:49 pm
@old europe,
old europe wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:

Well, it seems that I was talking about polls, whereas you were talking about push polls. No wonder we're talking past each other.

You seem to be talking about polls that fish for a certain answer. I am talking about polls that inform the leaders what the people are thinking and/or what the people want so that the leaders cannot manufacture what the people think or what the people want out of thin air as so many are prone to do. It is no different than asking for a show of hands: How many want . . . .

Quote:
Foxfyre wrote:

Of course there is. You can answer "yes", "no" or "no opinion". In an informed kind of way.

No. The subject is too broad and encompasses too wide a scope of possibilities. Unless you know what is intended by tort reform, there is no way to know whether you are voting for something you do agree with or something that you do not agree with.

Quote:
Foxfyre wrote:
I agree I could have phrased my question in a way to be less leading. But it was no more leading than your question of an expectation of reduced insurance premiums.

It was more leading, because it implied a certain outcome of an action that the question was about without asking people whether or not they agreed with the stated outcome. My question simply asked whether people agree with a certain expected outcome.

And if the respondent voted 'no', you would have no clue what he or she wanted in the way of tort reform making the question useless. To generate a 'no' vote of course would be the motive of those who do not want tort reform and could use the poll as ammunition to lobby against it.

Quote:
You can ask the question even more open, as in What do you expect tort reform to accomplish?, but such an open question might be outside of the scope of a poll.

Well, within the scope of a healthcare reform debate, 'tort reform' would be limited to reducing the cost of providing healthcare on many different levels and/or reducing the cost to buy insurance. So if you really want to know what the people are thinking, the additional questions could be:

"Do you want Congress to enact tort reform for the purpose of lowering healthcare costs?"

"Do you think tort reform of any kind would have little or no effect the cost of providing healthcare?"

Quote:
Foxfyre wrote:
To ask people if they approve or disapprove of President Obama really tells you nothing.

In that case, you should maybe tell Rasmussen that their opinion polling is pointless.

Rasmussen's (and everybody else's) polls re presidential approval are pointless, as are everybody else's, other than to show trends that his favorables are increasing or eroding whether or not that means people do or do not like him and/or trust him. A job approval rating is a little narrower in scope and probably a bit more instructive. People could still approve of and like Obama as a person and think he is not doing a good job.

Again what makes Rasmussen polls so interesting is that he is also polling on those hot button issues that likely affect a President's job approval rating and/or overall approval rating and you can see how the trends do or do not parallel each other.

Quote:
Foxfyre wrote:
But if you ask people if they disapprove or approve of the President's approach to healthcare reform or taxes or tort reform or relations with Israel or Iran or whatever, then you get a much clearer picture of how successful he actually is with the American people.

I would say that in that case, you get an impression of what people think about those specific issues.

I also think that you're dramatically over- and understating the significance of specific polls.

I bet you don't say that about polls that support your point of view. At least I don't believe you've ever said that before.

Can polling provide the whole story? Of course not. But if a government is going to represent the people, polling can be useful to give the leaders an idea of whether they are or are not on the same track as their constituency. You might think that should be irrelevent unless of course it is somebody like George Bush in office. There are a whole lot of us who think it is relevent.

Quote:
Foxfyre wrote:

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to extrapolate.

I'm sure you didn't mean to extrapolate, but extrapolate you did just the same. And you continue to do it even after apologizing for it. Tsk tsk.

There is a difference between governing according to the polls and being knowledgeable of the hopes, ideals, values, expectations, and convictions of the people. Do you think that concept is too complex for the liberal mind to grasp?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 03:55 pm
@Foxfyre,
Quote:

There is a difference between governing according to the polls and being knowledgeable of the hopes, ideals, values, expectations, and convictions of the people. Do you think that concept is too complex for the liberal mind to grasp?

I think that you are having a hard time grasping the fact that the ' hopes, ideals, values, expectations, and convictions of the people' are incredibly contradictory, complex, and in many cases against your personal position on many issues.

This idea you have that people are even informed enough to give any sort of direction to Congress is really ridiculous as well. Most people have no clue whether or not Tort reform will lower health-care costs; most people don't even know what Tort reform means. So, when you 'helpfully explain' to them that it will lower costs, you are push-polling - and in this case, pushing lies for which you have no evidence. Ican certainly wasn't able to provide that evidence, and you have yet to do so either.

Cycloptichorn
JPB

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 03:58 pm
@Foxfyre,
nope --- you said it here.

Foxfyre wrote:

JPB wrote:

What value do these private insurance companies provide that requires a profit-making enterprise? I'd agree with you, fox, if we were talking about a commodity that is produced or manufactured but we're talking about a service. Fees are generated by a service provider and his/her/their fees are paid for by the insurance co/government/individual. Private enterprise rewards risk taking with profit. Fine -- I'm all over that concept. But, what risk is the insurance company taking that needs to be rewarded? NONE! They drop any high-risk individuals -- or refuse to take them on to begin with -- they ration services as if they were the one's determining need, they establish usual and customary charges, and I'm not at all convinced that there isn't collusion going on behind the scenes.

There was a day when insurance companies took on risk. Those days no longer exist, imo.

I disagree. Insurance companies are putting their capital and assets on the line every time they write a policy. A small business may pay say $4000/year in insurance premiums for work comp coverage. One injury can require the insurance company to pay that $4000 plus tenfold or a hundredfold or more. You can't tell me the insurance company is not assuming risk.

El Stud and I pay around $1,500 year for auto insurance on our cars. One small fender bender can wipe out all the premiums the insurance collected from us, and a major accident can wipe out all the premiums we will pay in a lifetime. That is not insignificant risk for the insurance company.

The average USA healthcare premium for maximum coverage for a family costs about $1,000/month. One emergency room visit by one member of the family can wipe out that month's premium. An illness or accident or surgery requiring just a few days in the hospital will easily wipe out two or three times the annual premiums. A major illness or accident can wipe out all the premiums the family will pay over a lifetime. That is not insignificant risk for the insurance company.

Because so many are dependent on the insurance company to remain solvent, who can quarrel with the insurance company turning down certain kinds of business for which there is unacceptable high risk and/or charging higher premiums for those that present much higher risk.

We have four major players in the HC game (beyond the providers and recipients). We have Big Pharma, Big Insurance, Big Government, and now (potentially) Big Food. Big Pharma, Big Insurance, and Big Food all do VERY WELL when the average American is generally unhealthy, or even quite ill. What better way to balance the risk that we all must carry by denying coverage to those who need it most than to pit the Big Three who benefit from our lack of good health against each other in a capitalist model?
Foxfyre

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 04:04 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
You generally talk like a liberal who makes the government your nanny, god, protector from all bad things, and wiser than any mere mortal can be.

I think like a conservative who wants government to do secure, provide, and defend our Constitutional rights and do its Constitutionally mandated jobs, and otherwise leave us along to dream, achieve, and aspire to be or do or go wherever our heart leads us and our ambitions and abilities allow.
JPB

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 04:04 pm
@Foxfyre,
And there was also this in that post which really frosted my britches...

Quote:
Most states have insurance pools or have made some sort of that kind of arrangement to provide insurance for those that present more risk than the acceptable risk that the insurance companies can safely take on.

But just as our government is not writing serous tort reform into its proposal or taking steps now to eliminate fraud and corruption from existing government programs, etc., it is also not even considering offering catastrophic insurance at an affordable cost and then letting the people arrange for their everyday needs. It won't even consider measures that would relieve the rest of us from being required to assume responsibility for the irresponsible.

I could say the same thing about anyone who didn't adequately (responsibly) prepare for their own HC and retirement needs, fox. Why should I have to pay for your bills just because you didn't adequately prepare for your elder years?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 04:11 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

You generally talk like a liberal who makes the government your nanny, god, protector from all bad things, and wiser than any mere mortal can be.

You generally slip into personal insults when someone scores points against your argument. What you wrote above isn't relevant to anything that I wrote in my last post at all.

Quote:
I think like a conservative who wants government to do secure, provide, and defend our Constitutional rights and do its Constitutionally mandated jobs, and otherwise leave us along to dream, achieve, and aspire to be or do or go wherever our heart leads us and our ambitions and abilities allow.

Right. Plus a bunch of other stuff, which you have omitted here, to save space, or more likely, avoid embarrassing contradictions.

Why did you even bother writing this post? I've heard your (lame) attempts at insult before, and I know that you see yourself as a Shining Warrior of Freedom and the American Way. What has been gained by repeating these things over and over again?

You could have instead spent that time providing actual evidence that tort reform leads to lower health care costs. You could have linked to the evidence from the state of Texas showing this - that is, you could have if it existed.

Let's not change the subject to personal attacks, mkay? 'cause if you want to get nasty, we sure can do that, but it would be better if you stayed on topic.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 04:34 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

nope --- you said it here.

Foxfyre wrote:

JPB wrote:

What value do these private insurance companies provide that requires a profit-making enterprise? I'd agree with you, fox, if we were talking about a commodity that is produced or manufactured but we're talking about a service. Fees are generated by a service provider and his/her/their fees are paid for by the insurance co/government/individual. Private enterprise rewards risk taking with profit. Fine -- I'm all over that concept. But, what risk is the insurance company taking that needs to be rewarded? NONE! They drop any high-risk individuals -- or refuse to take them on to begin with -- they ration services as if they were the one's determining need, they establish usual and customary charges, and I'm not at all convinced that there isn't collusion going on behind the scenes.

There was a day when insurance companies took on risk. Those days no longer exist, imo.

I disagree. Insurance companies are putting their capital and assets on the line every time they write a policy. A small business may pay say $4000/year in insurance premiums for work comp coverage. One injury can require the insurance company to pay that $4000 plus tenfold or a hundredfold or more. You can't tell me the insurance company is not assuming risk.

El Stud and I pay around $1,500 year for auto insurance on our cars. One small fender bender can wipe out all the premiums the insurance collected from us, and a major accident can wipe out all the premiums we will pay in a lifetime. That is not insignificant risk for the insurance company.

The average USA healthcare premium for maximum coverage for a family costs about $1,000/month. One emergency room visit by one member of the family can wipe out that month's premium. An illness or accident or surgery requiring just a few days in the hospital will easily wipe out two or three times the annual premiums. A major illness or accident can wipe out all the premiums the family will pay over a lifetime. That is not insignificant risk for the insurance company.

Because so many are dependent on the insurance company to remain solvent, who can quarrel with the insurance company turning down certain kinds of business for which there is unacceptable high risk and/or charging higher premiums for those that present much higher risk.

We have four major players in the HC game (beyond the providers and recipients). We have Big Pharma, Big Insurance, Big Government, and now (potentially) Big Food. Big Pharma, Big Insurance, and Big Food all do VERY WELL when the average American is generally unhealthy, or even quite ill. What better way to balance the risk that we all must carry by denying coverage to those who need it most than to pit the Big Three who benefit from our lack of good health against each other in a capitalist model?

Sigh.

JBP, you cannot dispute a single sentence I wrote in that post. You can pull the liberal numbnut stunt of attempting to write more into it than I wrote into it, or pretend that I'm saying or thinking something different than I said, but you cannot dispute a single line in my post that you quoted.

You are also apparently intentionally avoiding the point that I was making with that post.

I contract with technicians all the time who specialize in certain kinds of business and refuse to take on certain kinds of similar work because they a) they don't have the people or equipment to do it or b) they just don't want to do it. Should the government tell them they HAVE to do it anyway because there is nobody else around who can do it?

Your homeowner's policy almost certainly excludes coverage for flood, damage from riots, insurrection, or war, earthquakes, or business losses etc. Why? Because exclusion of such things allows the insurance company to offer an affordable policy to more people over a broader area than they would otherwise be able to do. Should the government require them to insure against riot and floods and earthquakes even though they cannot assume that additional risk without costing everybody much higher insurance costs, perhaps prohibitive costs for some?

The government, however, does underwrite flood insurance and earthquake insurance, and this does not compete with the private sector who doesn't want that kind of business. Some specialty companies write umbrella policies that covers other kinds of losses that regular insurance doesn't cover but they generally write only parts of the loss with others writing other parts so that the risk is spread and therefore is more affordable.

A health insurance company writes a policy that specifies what it will and will not cover, what is included, what is excluded, what limitations apply, etc. If they didn't specify certain exclusions or rates were not increased to include certain high risk conditions, the policy would have to cost much more than it does for everybody.

Just as it does with flood and earthquake insurance, however, the government, however, could offer high risk, catastrophic kinds of policies without competing with private insurance companies and that would provide a useful service for everybody. Is that option on the table for consideration? Nope.

My reaction to that piece you posted was pure license for the government to not only meddle in what healthcare we would be required to buy and how that healthcare would be controlled and rationed and administrated by the government, but strongly suggested license for the government to take control of what we would and would not be allowed to eat, what we would or would not be allowed to weigh, and require that we all live the happy, healthy, life as the government prescribes. It didn't come right out and say that, of course, but if the government can have the power to force us to buy healthcare insurance of the kind the governmetn sanctions, the government has the pwoer to force us to do anything.

For those for whom it is simply too hard making their own choices, developing discipline, and accepting consequences for the choices they make, the nanny state probably looks pretty good.

Those of us who see the virtues in freedom and the right to take risks despite the downside of that are much less enthusiastic about government mandated healthcare.

Debra Law

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 04:39 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
I am talking about polls that inform the leaders what the people are thinking and/or what the people want so that the leaders cannot manufacture what the people think or what the people want out of thin air as so many are prone to do. It is no different than asking for a show of hands: How many want . . . .

How many of you want your children to endure preventable suffering and pain and die agonizing deaths because you cannot afford to provide them with basic healthcare due to soaring costs?

How many of you want to lose your homes and everything else you have worked for all of your life when you become too ill to work, can't pay your bills, must file for bankruptcy, and your health insurance company drops you like a hot potato?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 04:44 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

And there was also this in that post which really frosted my britches...

Quote:
Most states have insurance pools or have made some sort of that kind of arrangement to provide insurance for those that present more risk than the acceptable risk that the insurance companies can safely take on.

But just as our government is not writing serous tort reform into its proposal or taking steps now to eliminate fraud and corruption from existing government programs, etc., it is also not even considering offering catastrophic insurance at an affordable cost and then letting the people arrange for their everyday needs. It won't even consider measures that would relieve the rest of us from being required to assume responsibility for the irresponsible.

I could say the same thing about anyone who didn't adequately (responsibly) prepare for their own HC and retirement needs, fox. Why should I have to pay for your bills just because you didn't adequately prepare for your elder years?

You shouldn't have to pay my bills or for my healthcare if I didn't adequately prepare for my elder years. Isn't that what I've been saying all this time?
How can anybody articulate a moral justification for requiring the ant, who prepared for the winter, to take care of the grasshopper who fiddled and played and sang the whole summer long? If the ant, out of the generosity of his heart and a compulsion for mercy chooses to do so, fine. That would make the ant a saintly and noble creature. But you or nobody else should have the right to force him to be that.

So, I don't expect you to pay my mortgage or utilities if I am unable to do so. I don't expect you to put food on the table or pay for the $700 in fillings I just paid for out of pocket. I do expect to draw social security after being required to pay into it since I was 14, but if I had had the ability to invest that money myself all these years, and had exercised the discipline to do so, I would be ever so much more comfortable in my old age than I now am. And the country wouldn't be saddled with an intractable and impossible entitlement that is draining the treasury year after year at a frighteningly increasing rate.

Many liberals, and perhaps some conservatives though I don't know any, cannot seem to separate a principle from their prejudices. I hope that we will have a chance for a national debate that will allow more people to do that. So long as people look at the problem through the prism of their own narrow prejudices, we are unlikely to find solutions that will be satisfactory for many.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 04:49 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
I do expect to draw social security

do as I say, not as I do

JPB's got that message clearly.
0 Replies