AMERICAN CONSERVATISM IN 2008 AND BEYOND

JPB

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 04:16 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

Walter Hinteler wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:
But I assure you, I have lived long enough and am well versed enough in history to feel that I can confidently counsel you to be very careful what you wish for.

Older stateswoman, isn't it?

I wouldn't describe myself as a 'stateswoman' but I am an older American who was schooled in love and appreciation for what our Country was intended to be. This despite our more indefensible chapters of our history which all countries have. I figure the blood and treasure we have expended to eradicate slavery, discrimination, and unjustifiable oppression here and abroad is the best we can do to pay for our past sins regarding treatment of others. I figure the trillions we have contributed to relief and empowerment of other peoples compensates at least in part for any economic damage we intentionally or inadvertently created for others.

This modern leftist trend of contempt for one's country and contempt for the better things it once stood for and contempt for its Constitution and the faith and respect for flag and country demonstrated by the Founders--such contempt is foreign and alien to me. And I think many neither know nor appreciate the heavy price that has been paid for the privilege to be allowed to be the loyal opposition along with the precious freedoms and liberties that at least some of us are fighting now to preserve.

Nice soapbox, foxy, but unfortunately is full of bias and pablum. You were schooled in love and appreciation for what our country was intended to be... It was intended to be a republic run by men, chosen by other men who disagreed with each other almost as vociferously as liberals and conservatives disagree with each other today. Unless you're advocating turning the clock back over 200 years then your argument doesn't wash.

You figure we've paid enough (or the best we can) to eradicate slavery, discrimination, and oppression abroad. I figure you're both fiscally and morally WRONG. While I don't think we can be the planetary police, I do think there is much, much more that can be done here at home. Past sins? Maybe your God sees these sins as past - mine certainly doesn't.

Modern leftist trend of contempt for country and the "BETTER THINGS IT ONCE STOOD FOR"? Pure garbage -- what contempt? I don't see any contempt for country other than contempt for talking heads who laugh all the way to the bank while those they inflame with their fear-mongering run around like chicken little.

You're big on imagining things, fox. What do you imagine is the personal financial impact on any of those individuals you listed should the horrible liberal plans succeed? I imagine the average personal financial impact on any one of them is zero.
Debra Law

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 04:47 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
I wouldn't describe myself as a 'stateswoman' but I am an older American who was schooled in love and appreciation for what our Country was intended to be.

You're not generating a warm vibe, Foxy. Perhaps you could provide us with a youtube video clip of yourself (ala Glenn Beck), with tears streaming down your face as you sob out those words. Perhaps then you can deliver your message in an effective manner. Right now you're not saying anything that truly sets YOU apart from anyone else in America.

Quote:
I figure the blood and treasure we have expended to eradicate slavery, discrimination, and unjustifiable oppression here and abroad is the best we can do to pay for our past sins regarding treatment of others. I figure the trillions we have contributed to relief and empowerment of other peoples compensates at least in part for any economic damage we intentionally or inadvertently created for others.

Conservatives were not against slavery. It was one of their most cherished institutions. To this day, conservatives are anti-worker and anti-laborer. Thus, we witness your opposition to workers who unite together and engage in collective bargaining. Whenever workers succeed through collective bargaining or legislation in their efforts to attain better wages and safer working conditions, that takes money out of the pocket of the capitalist. In your conservative world view, that's evil.

Conservatives are not the champions of anti-discrimination laws. They have proven over and over again that they do everything in their power to marginalize and demonize minorities. Indeed, conservatives paint themselves as the sorrowful victims of reverse discrimination. It's so sad that your lot has to endure so much suffering!

Conservatives cannot take any credit whatsoever for eradicating "unjustifiable" oppression. In a conservative world view, oppression of minorities and workers is always justifiable for religious and capitalistic (profit-mongering) purposes.

Conservatives are more than willing to spend trillions on war and destruction--but they do not willingly expend any money for the relief and empowerment of people as you suggest. You have repeatedly told us that conservatives are against both charity and people who use our courts to seek redress of grievances. You want to end all social programs and enact laws to prevent people from collecting damages for injuries/harm inflicted upon them by business. Now you have the gall to allege that American charity somehow makes up for whatever harm "we intentionally or inadvertently created for others." There is no bottom to the cesspool of conservative hypocrisy.

Your dishonesty in the way you portray conservatives is astounding. Conservatives take credit for all the good that has evolved from the sweat and blood of the liberal progressive movement. History has proven that conservatives cause great harm in society but are never willing to accept responsibility. Instead, conservatives dishonestly blame liberals for the wreckage that they themselves create in individual lives and society as a whole.

Quote:
This modern leftist trend of contempt for one's country and contempt for the better things it once stood for and contempt for its Constitution and the faith and respect for flag and country demonstrated by the Founders--all that is foreign and alien to me. And I think many neither know nor appreciate the heavy price that has been paid for the privilege to be allowed to be the loyal opposition along with the precious freedoms and liberties that at least some of us are fighting now to preserve.

Conservatives have nothing to offer this country other than false and empty rhetoric. You're not fighting to preserve precious freedom because you've never been a champion of freedom. People are looking for solutions, and your tired old "liberals are demons" meme simply doesn't resonate with the majority of Americans.
JTT

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 05:29 pm
@Foxfyre,
Quote:
We are trying to preserve the best healthcare system in the world while improving it

The US ranks somewhere around 30th for infant mortality. Good work, conservatives; preserve, preserve preserve.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 06:08 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

Well you and your ilk ...

do you really want to go to "ilk"land with me foxy?

do you honestly believe that you are the only one around here who's got a couple of years under the belt? do you honestly believe that you are the only one who's noticed what goes on?

you and your ilk stomp around waving your little 98 cent flags and screaming about taxes, and you think that makes you the real america.

you and your ilk suckle and regurgitate the obscene accusations and insane rhetoric of some of the most twisted minds in the media. are you now so far gone that you can't see that glenn beck is a raving lunatic? really?

of course, you and your ilk don't see that. because you don't listen to or watch anything that isn't guaranteed to backup what ever the "approved" thoughts of the day are.

you and your ilk crucify anyone and anything that doesn't fall strictly in between the lines of your ilk's narrow purview. anything else is evil. unpatriotic. bad for america. dishonest.

i call bullshit on that jazz.

what is evil, unpatriotic, bad for america and dishonest is you and your ilk's digging in of heels and and screaming like a wounded shrike as you try to prevent the country and it's people from progressing and keeping up with the rest of the world.

even now, as you continue to carp about healthcare reform. you guys are all like "let's have an honest dialogue. bla, blah, blah...". we just came of of two consecutive terms of your ilk running the show, in toto.

and what honest dialogue did you bring on healthcare? nothing. zip. nada. null.

even now, here on a2k, the best you can say is what your ilk always says; "blame the trial lawyers".

you and your ilk hold signs that say "government stay out of my life!". yet your ilk finds no contradiction in trying to bring the government into people's bedroom, into who they marry, if they do or do not have children. how and when they die.

that last one would make you and your ilk the death panels, wouldn't it?

you can try to do your usual routine about "but i never..".. but earlier you stated emphatically that "if you side with them, you become them".

therefore, you are them. the ilk which is doing it's best to gum up the works even if it costs somebody else their life, liberty and pursuit of happiness.

seriously. for all of the clamoring about how you and your ilk know what's best for the country, the number one thing that you don't see, or acknowledge is just how stagnant the place has become. and how it is killing the goose that lays the golden eggs.
ican711nm

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 06:57 pm
@Debra Law,
TWENTY-ONE LIES ABOUT CONSERVATIVES FORWORDED BY DEBRA LAW TO THIS THREAD

(1)Conservatives were not against slavery. It was one of their most cherished institutions.

(2) To this day, conservatives are anti-worker and anti-laborer.

(3) Thus, we witness your opposition to workers who unite together and engage in collective bargaining.

(4) Whenever workers succeed through collective bargaining or legislation in their efforts to attain better wages and safer working conditions, that takes money out of the pocket of the capitalist. In your conservative world view, that's evil.

(5) Conservatives are not the champions of anti-discrimination laws.

(6) They have proven over and over again that they do everything in their power to marginalize and demonize minorities.

(7) Indeed, conservatives paint themselves as the sorrowful victims of reverse discrimination. It's so sad that your lot has to endure so much suffering!

(8) Conservatives cannot take any credit whatsoever for eradicating "unjustifiable" oppression.

(9) In a conservative world view, oppression of minorities and workers is always justifiable for religious and capitalistic (profit-mongering) purposes.

(10) Conservatives are more than willing to spend trillions on war and destruction--but they do not willingly expend any money for the relief and empowerment of people.

(11) You have repeatedly told us that conservatives are against both charity and people who use our courts to seek redress of grievances.

(12) You want to end all social programs and enact laws to prevent people from collecting damages for injuries/harm inflicted upon them by business.

(13) Now you have the gall to allege that American charity somehow makes up for whatever harm "we intentionally or inadvertently created for others."

(14) There is no bottom to the cesspool of conservative hypocrisy.

(15) Your dishonesty in the way you portray conservatives is astounding.

(16) Conservatives take credit for all the good that has evolved from the sweat and blood of the liberal progressive movement.

(17) History has proven that conservatives cause great harm in society but are never willing to accept responsibility.

(18) Instead, conservatives dishonestly blame liberals for the wreckage that they themselves create in individual lives and society as a whole.

(19) Conservatives have nothing to offer this country other than false and empty rhetoric.

(20) You're not fighting to preserve precious freedom because you've never been a champion of freedom.

(21) People are looking for solutions, and your tired old "liberals are demons" meme simply doesn't resonate with the majority of Americans.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 07:09 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
SIXTEEN LIES FORWARDED BY DONTTREADONME TO THIS THREAD

[1] you and your ilk stomp around waving your little 98 cent flags and screaming about taxes, and you think that makes you the real america.

[2] you and your ilk suckle and regurgitate the obscene accusations and insane rhetoric of some of the most twisted minds in the media.

[3] are you now so far gone that you can't see that glenn beck is a raving lunatic? really?

[4] of course, you and your ilk don't see that. because you don't listen to or watch anything that isn't guaranteed to backup what ever the "approved" thoughts of the day are.

[5] you and your ilk crucify anyone and anything that doesn't fall strictly in between the lines of your ilk's narrow purview. anything else is evil. unpatriotic. bad for america. dishonest.

[6] What is evil, unpatriotic, bad for america and dishonest is you and your ilk's digging in of heels and and screaming like a wounded shrike as you try to prevent the country and it's people from progressing and keeping up with the rest of the world.

[7] even now, as you continue to carp about healthcare reform. you guys are all like "let's have an honest dialogue. bla, blah, blah...".

[8] we just came ofF of two consecutive terms of your ilk running the show, in toto.

[9] what honest dialogue did you bring on healthcare? nothing. zip. nada. null.

[10] even now, here on a2k, the best you can say is what your ilk always says; "blame the trial lawyers".

[11] you and your ilk hold signs that say "government stay out of my life!".

[12] yet your ilk finds no contradiction in trying to bring the government into people's bedroom, into who they marry, if they do or do not have children. how and when they die.

[13 ]that last one would make you and your ilk the death panels, wouldn't it?

[14] you can try to do your usual routine about "but i never..".. but earlier you stated emphatically that "if you side with them, you become them".

[15] therefore, you are them. the ilk which is doing it's best to gum up the works even if it costs somebody else their life, liberty and pursuit of happiness.

[16] seriously. for all of the clamoring about how you and your ilk know what's best for the country, the number one thing that you don't see, or acknowledge is just how stagnant the place has become. and how it is killing the goose that lays the golden eggs.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 07:13 pm
ican, buddy. you are always good for a laff.

ican711nm

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 07:17 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
ican, buddy. you are always good for a laff.

Ha Ha Ho Ho He He!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 09:11 pm
@Foxfyre,
Quote:
We are trying to preserve the best healthcare system in the world

We're trying to preserve France's health care system?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 09:24 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:

Walter Hinteler wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:
But I assure you, I have lived long enough and am well versed enough in history to feel that I can confidently counsel you to be very careful what you wish for.

Older stateswoman, isn't it?

I wouldn't describe myself as a 'stateswoman' but I am an older American who was schooled in love and appreciation for what our Country was intended to be. This despite our more indefensible chapters of our history which all countries have. I figure the blood and treasure we have expended to eradicate slavery, discrimination, and unjustifiable oppression here and abroad is the best we can do to pay for our past sins regarding treatment of others. I figure the trillions we have contributed to relief and empowerment of other peoples compensates at least in part for any economic damage we intentionally or inadvertently created for others.

This modern leftist trend of contempt for one's country and contempt for the better things it once stood for and contempt for its Constitution and the faith and respect for flag and country demonstrated by the Founders--such contempt is foreign and alien to me. And I think many neither know nor appreciate the heavy price that has been paid for the privilege to be allowed to be the loyal opposition along with the precious freedoms and liberties that at least some of us are fighting now to preserve.

Nice soapbox, foxy, but unfortunately is full of bias and pablum. You were schooled in love and appreciation for what our country was intended to be... It was intended to be a republic run by men, chosen by other men who disagreed with each other almost as vociferously as liberals and conservatives disagree with each other today. Unless you're advocating turning the clock back over 200 years then your argument doesn't wash.

I've always considered you one of the smart ones JPB, but even you must have drunk the water that seems to prompt those on the left to read selectively or read what isn't there. Nobody who has studied Colonial history at all can doubt that there were strong disagreements among the Founders and among the various states. But in the end they did agree on our Constitution, complete with its Preamble, and pledged fidelity to it, and every single state then has incorporated similar wording of that Constitution into their own Constitutions along with acknowledgment of natural God given rights as expressed in the Declaration of Independence.

Quote:
You figure we've paid enough (or the best we can) to eradicate slavery, discrimination, and oppression abroad.

I figure you're both fiscally and morally WRONG. While I don't think we can be the planetary police, I do think there is much, much more that can be done here at home. Past sins? Maybe your God sees these sins as past - mine certainly doesn't.

If you have followed this thread at all, you would acknowledge that every one of the right-of-center members advocates charity and benevlence as necessity in a civilized world. But one strong difference between modern liberals and modern conservatives is that the liberal wants to do it with somebody else's money. The conservative chooses to give of his/her own time, talent, and treasure and believe to assign such responsibility to the Federal government corrupts the government. This is why the Founders did not include charity or benevolence or relief of anykind as a responsibility of the Federal government and every President has adhered to that principle until FDR.

As for sins, unlike presumably you see yourself, I have never owned slaves or condoned slavery nor, to the best of my knowledge, have I ever improperly discriminated against anybody. In fact I had opportunity to work directly to help eradicate some of the last vestiges of formal discrimination in this country. While I am very glad that chapter in American history is long behind us, I don't feel that I have anything to be ashamed of there. Another principle that separates modern conservatives and liberals is that conservatives feel responsible to atone for their own sins. Liberals seem to want me to atone for their guilt-wracked consciences.

Quote:
Modern leftist trend of contempt for country and the "BETTER THINGS IT ONCE STOOD FOR"? Pure garbage -- what contempt? I don't see any contempt for country other than contempt for talking heads who laugh all the way to the bank while those they inflame with their fear-mongering run around like chicken little.

You say in one breath that we haven't paid enough for our past sins and must do much more, and in the next that you don't hold your country in contempt. You seem to be unable to acknowledge, much be proud of the millions upon millions of people who live free and safe today because there is a United States of America. And you condemn the very talking heads for inflaming people but can't see that they are the voice of the people and they wouldn't have anything to bank if they were not voicing what all of their audiences are already thinking.
But you probably are like some other Leftists and would like to shut them up so that you would hear only what is comforting and pleasant to hear whether or not it is the truth. But don't delude yourself for a minute that it would change the minds of the loyal opposition.

Quote:
You're big on imagining things, fox. What do you imagine is the personal financial impact on any of those individuals you listed should the horrible liberal plans succeed? I imagine the average personal financial impact on any one of them is zero.

I suppose somebody so thoroughly brainwashed that Obama is indeed the messiah and the Democrats in Congress his loyal disciples and that they are as honest and trustworthy as any human can be would think that I was referring to financial impact. I wasn't. I was referring to much more basic fundamental principles such as the right and ability to voice grievances and objections and retain our other Constitutional, civil, legal, human, and unalienable rights as well. Seems to me the Left is gung ho to take that away from all of us.

And for the life of me, I cannot understand how people can become so gullible that they would not see how tragic that would be.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 09:34 pm
@Foxfyre,
Rolling Eyes

I think what that post needs is just a touch more drama, foxy...

the voice of the people, huh...

(almost speechless over the cluelessness or audacity. not sure which)

and could you be just a wee bit more judgmental, you're not quite over the top yet.

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 09:42 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead, you need to re-read the story of the pot and kettle. Look for the moral of the story this time, okay?
Rockhead

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 09:43 pm
@Foxfyre,
tell me again "in detail" how our healthcare system is the best in the world please.

preach to me if you dare.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 09:49 pm
Even as those on the Left accuse those on the right, especially those in the media, of fear mongering, I'm trying to recall if any of those criticized Rahm Emmanuel when he was pushing to get the healthcare stuff, auto bailout, etc. etc. going because a "crisis is a terrible thing to waste.'

Now it is suggested that they may be trying to create a new crisis to get their stalled agenda moving again.

As reported in this story, Obama has so far blamed everything on George W. Bush and absolved himself of any responsibility for the way things are at this point despite all the initiatives that have been implemented or attempted on his watch. But healthcare is his own deal and it's going to take a lot of creativity to blame that on Bush if he fails in getting it done.

So what do you think Leftists? Does 'creating a new crisis' fall under the umbrella of 'fear mongering?" Will we be hearing your condemnation of that if it happens?

Quote:
Obama May Need Sense of Crisis to Revive Health-Care Overhaul
By Julianna Goldman and Nicholas Johnston
September 4, 2009

Sept. 4 (Bloomberg) -- President Barack Obama returns to Washington next week in search of one thing that can revive his health-care overhaul: a sense of crisis.

Facing polls showing a drop in his approval, diminished support from independents, factions within his Democratic Party and a united Republican opposition, Obama must recapture the sense of urgency that led to passage of the economic rescue package in February, analysts said.

“At the moment, except for the people without insurance, we’re not in a health-care crisis,” said Stephen Wayne, a professor of government at Georgetown University in Washington. “You do need a crisis to generate movement in Congress and to help build a consensus.”

Obama speaks to labor leaders on Sept. 7 and to a joint session of Congress on Sept. 9 as he attempts to rebuild support for his top domestic priority, one that affects 17 percent of the economy. Lawmakers, trying to extend coverage to millions of uninsured Americans and rein in costs, are considering mandates on employers to provide coverage, new rules for insurers, and creating a government program to compete with private insurers such as Indianapolis-based WellPoint Inc.

Obama Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel said the administration made unprecedented health-care progress in eight months.

‘Not There Yet’

“We gave Congress a charge, we gave them broad outlines, which is the reason we are farther along than any of the five presidents that have tried,” Emanuel said in an interview yesterday. “We’re not there yet, and this speech is intended to finish the job.”

Presidential speeches historically do little to move public opinion significantly, said George Edwards, author of “The Strategic President: Persuasion and Opportunity in Presidential Leadership.”

“This is almost like a Hail Mary, because they know that they’re substantially behind and the trajectory is negative for them,” Edwards said.

Unlike the financial crisis he inherited, the health-care debate is of Obama’s making and places a different burden on him, Edwards said.

“The best thing in presidential leadership is to recognize and exploit opportunities,” said Edwards. “The White House overestimated the nature of the opportunity.”

Stimulus Debate

Obama’s economic stimulus was debated as the Dow Jones Industrial Average dropped 18 percent from Nov. 4, 2008, to Feb. 13, when Congress approved the legislation. Unemployment had risen to more than 7 percent.

On the stimulus, Obama was able to say “that unless we do X right now, and X is pretty painful and pretty expensive, there is a serious danger in the next few weeks that the entire financial system will come crashing down,” said Bill Galston, a former official in President Bill Clinton’s administration, now a Brookings Institution scholar in Washington.

Emanuel remarked at the time that a crisis was a terrible thing to waste, and Obama pushed for health-care overhaul and energy legislation along with financial and auto bailouts.

He has framed health-care legislation as part of his long- term strategy to improve the economy. Republicans focused on the potential impact on patients. Throughout the summer and in town halls, Republican opponents said Obama wanted a government takeover of the system and creation of panels to decide end-of- life issues.

Democratic Critics

Within the Democratic Party, critics say Obama hasn’t pushed universal health care and others say the overhaul would balloon the federal deficit.

Obama “has said about this issue continually, if it was easy it would have been done by now,” said White House Communications Director Anita Dunn.

Obama’s difficulty on health care is compounded by broader economic worries. While 36 percent of Americans say the economy is getting better, only 10 percent see improvements in their households, according to a CBS poll at the end of August.

“People are not convinced the president’s strategy has helped their family during the economic downturn,” said Robert Blendon, a health-policy pollster at Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts. “That has forced them to be more skeptical towards the president’s health-care proposals.”

Less than a fifth of Americans say a health-care overhaul will help them personally, compared to 31 percent who think the government’s efforts will hurt, and 46 percent who say it will have no effect, the CBS poll showed.

‘Not a Crisis’

“There is a problem in our health-care system today, and we need reform; it’s not a crisis,” said Ed Gillespie, White House counselor to President George W. Bush. “It’s just people saying this is way too much, way too fast, we don’t know where this money is going and we don’t know where it’s coming from.”

The CBS survey of 1,097 Americans Aug. 27-31 found Obama’s approval fell 12 percentage points from a high of 68 percent in April to 56 percent; the error margin is 3 percentage points.

A survey of 4,518 likely voters by Zogby International Aug. 28-31 put Obama’s approval rating at a record-low 42 percent; it also showed he’s well liked.

“He’s got to get control of his presidency,” said John Zogby, president of Zogby International. “There’s a way out of this. Some of it is going to have to be his personality and his ability to frame messages, which is still good.”
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=a5HawfX.Mxt8
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 10:24 pm
@Foxfyre,
Quote:
You seem to be unable to acknowledge, much be proud of the millions upon millions of people who live free and safe today because there is a United States of America.

You really are too much, Foxfyre. You are NOT able to acknowledge that because of the greed and rapacity of the USA millions upon millions lie in graves, hardly free but at least safe from any further predation by the US.

Do you think ole Smedley was joking when he said;

Quote:
"I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism.

I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefit of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for the International Banking House of Brown Brothers in 1902-1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for the American sugar interests in 1916.

I helped make Honduras right for the American fruit companies in 1903. In China in 1927 I helped see to it that Standard Oil went on its way unmolested. Looking back on it, I might have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three districts. I operated on three continents."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smedley_Butler

Nothing has changed since then except that millions more have died. Really, you pretend a conscience but ... .
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 11:47 pm
@JTT,
JTT< You're wasting your time; that's the conservative way to riches.
JTT

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2009 12:15 am
@cicerone imposter,
I know, I know, CI, but you just can't let such arrant stupidity go unchallenged.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2009 05:18 am
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

As for sins, unlike presumably you see yourself, I have never owned slaves or condoned slavery nor, to the best of my knowledge, have I ever improperly discriminated against anybody. In fact I had opportunity to work directly to help eradicate some of the last vestiges of formal discrimination in this country. While I am very glad that chapter in American history is long behind us, I don't feel that I have anything to be ashamed of there. Another principle that separates modern conservatives and liberals is that conservatives feel responsible to atone for their own sins. Liberals seem to want me to atone for their guilt-wracked consciences.

And a bit later, in the same post, Foxfyre wrote:

You say in one breath that we haven't paid enough for our past sins and must do much more, and in the next that you don't hold your country in contempt. You seem to be unable to acknowledge, much be proud of the millions upon millions of people who live free and safe today because there is a United States of America.

You can count yourself lucky that you don't live in a glass house.
JPB

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2009 07:50 am
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
I am an older American who was schooled in love and appreciation for what our Country was intended to be.

Foxfyre wrote:
This is why the Founders did not include charity or benevolence or relief of anykind as a responsibility of the Federal government and every President has adhered to that principle until FDR.

Then I admire you, fox, for supporting yourself in your older age without putting the burden on those coming up behind you. That is, unless, you accept Social Security monies and/or Medicare coverage - in which case you are a hypocrite.
JPB

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2009 07:59 am
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
figure the blood and treasure we have expended to eradicate slavery, discrimination, and unjustifiable oppression here and abroad is the best we can do to pay for our past sins regarding treatment of others. I figure the trillions we have contributed to relief and empowerment of other peoples compensates at least in part for any economic damage we intentionally or inadvertently created for others.

Foxfyre wrote:

Nice dodge --- You invoke the plural we in the first comment and then say that because you yourself have "worked directly" that your conscience is clear. Putting the two together you've said that your efforts have compensated for the past sins (I deny they are in the past) of Americans. Man, you have a high opinion of yourself! Go ahead and sleep at night with your conscience clear -- your work is done, you've atoned, "We've done enough" -- God Bless, Fox!