AMERICAN CONSERVATISM IN 2008 AND BEYOND

wandeljw

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 04:47 pm
For those of us who can not comprehend the intellectually complex thesis of a Thomas Sowell, here is Glen Beck to explain things:

Debra Law

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 04:50 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
But if this is true, I bet the true disciples will nevertheless go right on trusting and believing everything they're being spoon fed about government healthcare, deficits, spending, stimulus, new jobs, and all the other stuff.

But what about debt, Foxfyre? What are we to believe about that if we cannot trust the librultard democrat messiah? Please ask your pen pal, the great soothsayer known as Thomas Sowell, what his predictions are for "debt." Would you please ask Sowell's editor not to substitute any words in his column due to space concerns so that we may know the great nonpartisan soothsayer's true meaning, ALSO.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 04:50 pm
@wandeljw,
Foxie should take heed. LOL
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 05:03 pm
@Foxfyre,
Quote:
I agree that the stupidity over the metaphor is boring. It is to me too, but it wasn't my idea. I would have liked to have gotten into the meat of the thesis, but the numbnuts too often won't allow that.

It's always so nice when Foxfyre doesn't resort to calling those she disagrees with names.

Just so you know Fox, that is NOT a metaphor.

We DID deal with the meat of it. The problem is you didn't want to deal with the parts we were dealing with. You went off on the tangent of how Sowell didn't really write what he wrote but it was the editor's fault.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 05:06 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
Thomas Sowell, who is on the record that he is NOT a registered Republican ...

He must be preparing the faithful for a soon to come admission of some sort of sexual deviance/dalliance?

Well, I recently heard on good authority that the sharing of seemingly innocent emails is the first step to walking down the path of infidelity and sin. Because Foxfyre refuses to share the entire content of her email exchanges with her idolized Sowell, our minds are left to wander toward that particular gutter. Foxfyre could place our suspicions to rest by immediately releasing unredacted copies of the emails, but she doesn't subscribe to transparency. Maybe we could ask the NSA to surveill these email exchanges in the interests of national security.
maporsche

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 05:19 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Did he say during the campaign that he would be following GWB's Iraqi withdrawl policy?
JTT

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 05:36 pm
@Debra Law,
Quote:
our minds are left to wander toward that particular gutter

Gawd, how I love it when you talk dirty! Say 'gutter' again will ya please, in that same throaty voice.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 05:39 pm
@maporsche,
I'm not sure what Obama said during the campaign except he would be bringing home our troops. His statement to the troops about 2011 seems like his latest declaration. I'm sure that can change depending on what the generals tell him.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 06:13 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Did he say during the campaign that he would be following GWB's Iraqi withdrawl policy?

July 3, 2008
Quote:
Obama Pledges to Withdraw US Troops From Iraq
By VOA News
03 July 2008

The presumptive Democratic Party U.S. presidential nominee, Barack Obama, says he will begin ending U.S. troop involvement in the war in Iraq on his first day in office.

Obama told reporters Thursday that on his first day in office, he will instruct the five top U.S. military officers, the Joint Chiefs of Staff, to end the war "responsibly and decisively." He also said he intends to remove U.S. troops from Iraq at a pace that will lead to a total withdrawal in 16 months.

The Illinois senator said this is the same position he has long held on Iraq.
http://www.voanews.com/english/archive/2008-07/2008-07-03-voa81.cfm?CFID=246352481&CFTOKEN=45307109&jsessionid=6630195489f53b7fbaa2672f355c147b1a4

February 3, 2009
Quote:
Generals Seek To Reverse Obama
Withdrawal Decision
By Gareth Porter
03 February, 2009
Inter Press Service
WASHINGTON, Feb 2 (IPS) - CENTCOM commander Gen. David Petraeus, supported by Defence Secretary Robert Gates, tried to convince President Barack Obama that he had to back down from his campaign pledge to withdraw all U.S. combat troops from Iraq within 16 months at an Oval Office meeting Jan. 21.

Obama informed Gates, Petraeus and Joint Chiefs Chairman Adm. Mike Mullen that he wasn't convinced and that he wanted Gates and the military leaders to come back quickly with a detailed 16-month plan, according to two sources who have talked with participants in the meeting.

Obama's decision to override Petraeus's recommendation has not ended the conflict between the president and senior military officers over troop withdrawal, however. There are indications that Petraeus and his allies in the military and the Pentagon, including Gen. Ray Odierno, now the top commander in Iraq, have already begun to try to pressure Obama to change his withdrawal policy.
http://www.countercurrents.org/porter030209.htm

February 27, 2009
Quote:
President Obama announced his decision at Camp Lejeune, N.C., on Friday. His plan generated support
across party lines.
By PETER BAKER
Published: February 27, 2009

CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. " President Obama declared the beginning of the end of one of the longest and most divisive wars in American history on Friday as he announced that he would withdraw combat forces from Iraq by August 2010 and all remaining troops by December 2011.
The decision, outlined before thousands of camouflage-clad Marines here, underscored the transformation in national priorities a month after Mr. Obama took office as he prepared to shift resources and troops from increasingly stable Iraq to increasingly volatile Afghanistan. . . . .
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/28/washington/28troops.html?_r=1

June 24, 2009
Quote:
US reneges on Iraq withdrawal promises
Thu, 25 Jun 2009 14:48:24 GMT
http://able2know.org/topic/113196-573#post-3688064

Debra Law

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 06:54 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
our minds are left to wander toward that particular gutter

Gawd, how I love it when you talk dirty! Say 'gutter' again will ya please, in that same throaty voice.

Speaking of minds in the gutter and talking dirty, I think CI was making an sexual innuendo about swallowing:

cicerone imposter wrote:
Nothing like Foxie's spoon fed rhetoric from Sowell. She swallows before chewing.

There again, Foxie could end all of this speculation over her true relationship with Sowell if she would simply disclose the emails.

0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 08:00 pm
@Foxfyre,
How like a MAC there Fox..

Quote:
US reneges on Iraq withdrawal promises

You do realize that the story has NOTHING to do with withdrawal from Iraq but rather is about the withdrawal of troops from major cities to bases outside cites. But you want to somehow pretend it shows Obama lied.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 08:13 pm
@Debra Law,
Given that debt and deficit have such very different meanings, I am surprised that Mr. Sowell has not asked to have a correction published by his editor.

Perhaps someone would like to write to/email the original source of ff's Sowell reference, supply them with the contents of Mr. Sowell's emails as provided by ff, and suggest they make the correction as suggested by Mr. Sowell?

It is odd that he is willing to leave himself so poorly represented. Or perhaps he realizes his regular readers cannot differentiate between the terms?

Debra Law

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 08:36 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Given that debt and deficit have such very different meanings, I am surprised that Mr. Sowell has not asked to have a correction published by his editor.

Perhaps someone would like to write to/email the original source of ff's Sowell reference, supply them with the contents of Mr. Sowell's emails as provided by ff, and suggest they make the correction as suggested by Mr. Sowell?

It is odd that he is willing to leave himself so poorly represented. Or perhaps he realizes his regular readers cannot differentiate between the terms?

I checked the website where his columns appear and thus far there hasn't been a correction posted. This makes me wonder if Foxie is telling the truth concerning the exchange of emails on this very subject. Surely if Sowell acknowledged the significant error to Foxie as she alleges he did, then it seems to a reasonable person that he would immediately post a correction to his column in order to maintain some semblance of credibility.

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/sowell1.asp
ehBeth

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 08:40 pm
@Debra Law,
Perhaps you'd like to bring it to the attention of the Jewish World Review that Mr. Sowell has advised one of his email correspondents that the editor changed a fairly significant word?

(I'd thought of doing it myself, but it's probably best coming from an American, IMNSHO)
Foxfyre

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 09:05 pm
@ehBeth,
Perhaps it would be best not to misrepresent what the correspondent said as she did not say that the editor changed a fairly significant word. He didn't say that and I didn't say that. But if any would care to correspond with Dr. Sowell and check it out for yourself, I believe you can find his email address on his website or probably through any of his syndicates.
0 Replies

genoves

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 10:58 pm
Foxfyre, EhBeth and Debra L A W--It would appear from the substance of the article below written by Dr. Sowell that he does indeed know the meaning of the national debt.

Note:

Jewish World Review Nov. 25, 2004 / 12 Kislev, 5765
Thomas Sowell

A taxing experience
http://www.NewsAndOpinion.com | When liberals in the media or in politics start being alarmed about the national debt, it means just one thing: They want higher taxes. The thought of reducing spending would never cross their minds.

As we are endlessly reminded, the federal government's debt has reached record levels during the Bush administration. That enables the liberal media to use their favorite word " "crisis" " and adds urgency to doing their favorite thing, raising taxes.

Since we have a larger population than ever and a larger national income than ever, it should hardly be surprising that we also have a larger national debt than ever. But what does it mean?

Donald Trump probably has a bigger debt than I do " and less reason to worry about it. Debt means nothing unless you compare it to your income or wealth.

How does our national debt today compare to our national income? It is lower than it was a decade ago, during the Clinton administration, when liberals did not seem nearly as panicked as they seem today.

As a percentage of the national income, the national debt today is less than half of what it was in 1950 and about where it was in 1940 " back in those "earlier and simpler times."

If someone were to produce a political dictionary, "crisis" would be defined as a desire to pass a law and "national debt" would be defined as a desire to raise taxes. And the two in combination would mean a desire to discredit the existing administration.

If it seems that raising taxes is the only way to reduce the national debt, at least when so much spending is mandated by "entitlement" programs, that only shows the need for an economic dictionary. "Taxes" is one of those treacherous words with more than one meaning, enabling politicians to shift back and forth between meanings when they talk.

0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 08:04 am
@parados,
Obama DID campaign on having us out of Iraq in 16 months after taking office.
Now he does seem to be backtracking on that.

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 08:47 am
@mysteryman,
Parados frequently has problems reading and comprehending what is actually said, though he seems to have a lot of company in that lately.

The article he referenced did mention withdrawal from Iraqi cities but it also was quite clear that it was dealing with our total military presence in Iraq and, if correct, there is no serious plan for withdrawal in our near future.
parados

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 09:19 am
@Foxfyre,
I don't have any problems with reading Fox. You however seem to have a problem with being civil in that you continue with snide comments about me. I guess if you can't comment on the article you have to comment on me.

Let's put the comment by Casey in context with what he ACTUALLY said.
http://www.armytimes.com/news/2009/05/ap_army_casey_iraq_052609/
Quote:

Casey’s calculations about force levels are related to his attempt to ease the brutal deployment calendar that he said would “bring the Army to its knees.”

Casey would not specify how combat units would be divided between Iraq and Afghanistan.

There is nothing there to say that combat troops will be in Iraq since he didn't specify which country they would be in.
I'm sorry that I am better informed than you are. It seems you can only respond by making snide comments and calling me names and then denying you did that.

By the way Fox, here is the definition of "metaphor"...
Quote:
A figure of speech in which an implied comparison is made between two unlike things that actually have something in common
Something can NOT be a metaphor for itself. You were asked what it was a metaphor for and your response showed it was NOT a metaphor by any definition of the word.
blatham

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 09:24 am
Whatever the future of the conservative movement might be, it will surely continue to have a fundamental component related to moral virtues and support for that fundamental unit of society, a man, a woman, children and another woman or man or restroom buddy. A movement pure as the driven slush.