AMERICAN CONSERVATISM IN 2008 AND BEYOND

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 01:14 pm
Your opinion is noted Cyclop. You still have not even come close to articulating an argument against the argument Dr. Sowell made. All you have done is accuse him of making an argument he didn't make and/or criticize the way he made it and the way I have defended it.

Those not cognitively challenged know the difference between those two things, so if you do not put yourself in the cognitively challenged group, then you know that.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 01:20 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

Your opinion is noted Cyclop. You still have not even come close to articulating an argument against the argument Dr. Sowell made. All you have done is accuse him of making an argument he didn't make and/or criticize the way he made it and the way I have defended it.

Untrue; I specifically said that his metaphors were terrible and that they do not accurately reflect the situation we face. That is a direct attack on his argument, for he uses those metaphors to justify his argument. I accused him of making no argument which he did not make, and my only criticism of your defense is the fact that it has been a poor one for several reasons. The paragraph quoted above is completely false.

Quote:
Those not cognitively challenged know the difference between those two things, so if you do not put yourself in the cognitively challenged group, then you know that.

I don't really believe you are capable of discerning who is cognitively challenged and who is not, Fox, based on your performance over the last few pages.

Cyclotpichorn
Setanta

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 01:22 pm
Keep in mind, though, that it is not Fox or any other conservative who stoops to personal reflections when stumped for an argument--that is something only the evil libruls do . . .
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 01:24 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxy: If you had ever had an American Civics class, you would likely have had extensive propaganda drummed into your head just like we conservatives have. This is why we can make such arguments and it explains how we're able to hang in there even when we get delusional.

We learned early on that propaganda has little to no relation to the truth but when spewed forth with enough volume, it can be perceived as truth.

Actually, 'delusional' is kind of a conservative's time-out space, the place where we reassemble the propaganda, safe from such nasty things as reality.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 01:41 pm
@Foxfyre,
Quote:
No I was essentially saying what I said. If you had ever had an American class in education methods, you would likely have had extensive training in the concept as an effective teaching tool. So, you're wrong. Parados is wrong. Cyclop is wrong. Wandel is wrong in your analysis of what Sowell is saying.

You forgot to mention Shakespeare was wrong, Frost was wrong and every other major poet was wrong. You also forgot to mention Johnson, Webster and every other person that compiled definitions of metaphor was wrong. That plus every English teacher in the US has been teaching "metaphor" incorrectly.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 01:51 pm
@parados,
Not only are Europeans mis-interpreting English words, but all of us who were educated in the US were taught wrong - except Foxie. It must be nice to know how smart you are because you went to the right school.

According to Foxie, only she and Sowell are right, and everybody else doesn't have a clue of what metaphors are or how to define that word.

That doesn't speak well for Foxie or Sowell; they're not properly communicating what they really want to say in the language that the majority of us understands. Guess who has the problem? LOL

I'm really sad that I was unable to attend the same school as Foxie.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 02:32 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Attacking the form of the argument, as long as it is legal, is not permitted in formal debate, Cyclop. You have to attack the substance of the argument. That you have not done. No debate coach/judge ANYWHERE will let you get by with saying that something is terrible without logically articulating why it is terrible. You cannot attack/criticize him personally and you can't attack/criticize me personally and win the debate and if you continue to build strawmen and throw in red herrings, you will be scored very VERY low and your opponent will win by default by simply following the rules.
Debra Law

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 03:25 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

Addendum to Dr. Sowell's comments, he forwarded a subsequent e-mail to clarify further re Sharia law and added: "It is a possibility after surrender, though not as something that we are likely to drift into otherwise."

He at other times has also noted that the final column as printed is somewhat different from the one he submitted. In our recent correspondence, he couldn't say for sure whether the 'debt' vs 'deficit' issue was his mistake or the editors, but he emphasized again that he intended to say 'deficit'. But phrases are omitted or restructured to fit a given space in the newspaper and, while editors do attempt to keep the integrity of the writer's intent, they do sometimes confuse things, and the writer has little control over that. (I can testify to that from my own newspaper experience when what I thought was a necessary paragraph or phrase was cut in the interest of allotted space.)

So Foxfyre and Sowell are pen pals now? Post those emails, Foxfyre. I want to read what Sowell actually or allegedly wrote in its entirety rather than digest the tiny spoonful of what he might have said which you have filtered through your own sieve for our consumption. In that sentence, I may have been illustrating in a metaphorical way the manner in which Foxfyre "feeds" words to those she considers to be "uneducable."

ALSO (and as an aside, would everyone please give Gov. Palin a cyber high-five for making the word "also" one which we now associate with verbal coherence or the lack thereof), it is interesting that either you or Sowell would suggest that his editor may have intentionally substituted the word "debt" in Sowell's column in place of the word "deficit" in order to save the space of three characters.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 03:40 pm
@Foxfyre,
Did we really send 8 BILLION to combat the H1N1 flu? Are you F'ing kidding me.

And I agree with RP. A vote to send money to Iraq is a vote in favor of Iraq.

I told people during the campaign who said that they were voting for Obama because McCain "wanted to keep troops in Iraq for 100 years", that they were clueless and that with either McCain or Obama the troops were going to be there regardless.

Another Obama lie.
Debra Law

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 03:45 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

Attacking the form of the argument, as long as it is legal, is not permitted in formal debate, Cyclop. You have to attack the substance of the argument.

Therein lies the magic of Foxfyre's circular argument. No one can attack the substance of Sowell's argument because Foxfyre alleges that no argument was made. Instead, she tells us, Sowell merely placed metaphorical illustrations on a piece of paper, and metaphorical illustrations are by Foxfyre's definition unassailable. She claims that Sowell's appeal to unrealistic extremes is not used as "evidence" to support his thesis, only to illustrate some elusive point in a metaphorical way. Because only she and Sowell possess intelligence, and all others are cognitively challenged, Sowell's brilliant, but elusive point simply escapes our comprehension which she has spoon fed to the "uneducable numbnuts" to no avail. Therefore, because it is impossible in Foxfyre's world that is devoid of logic to attack that which is unassailable, you have not attacked the substance of the argument.

And round and round she goes on her merry-go-round.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 03:48 pm
Seriously 4 pages of BS posts about a metaphor or not a metaphor.

This thread is boring.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 04:04 pm
@maporsche,
I agree that the stupidity over the metaphor is boring. It is to me too, but it wasn't my idea. I would have liked to have gotten into the meat of the thesis, but the numbnuts too often won't allow that.

I did not want to invade Iraq but once it was decided, I wanted to use overwhelming force to end it quickly and decisively. I didn't get either wish.

I have a huge problem with those who voted to go to war now claiming they were 'fooled' into it. By golly, if we are going to elect people to represent us, we have the right to expect them to do their homework and KNOW what they're voting for on something that important and that expensive.

I still believe our only honorable option is to win in Iraq and leave the people in full control of their destiny. But if we are simply planning to fail there, then I want the troops home now.

Wouldn't you love to be a fly on the wall to see where all the 'flu' money is going? If I was in charge, I would have issued instructions on symptoms and what to do if you have them, instructions for how to avoid being exposed, keep track of the number and severity of cases, and maybe offer a nice cash prize for the first medical group or pharmaceutical company who came up with a vaccine that works. That would have cost a far sight less than $8 billion and probably would have accomplished more.

Now they want us to trust them with a mega billion dollar stimulus pkg, a 3.5 billion budget, trillion dollar deficits for years to come, a government takeover of the financial industry, auto industry, energy, and healthcare, and not question any of it?

It's maddening.

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 04:06 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Did we really send 8 BILLION to combat the H1N1 flu? Are you F'ing kidding me.

And I agree with RP. A vote to send money to Iraq is a vote in favor of Iraq.

I told people during the campaign who said that they were voting for Obama because McCain "wanted to keep troops in Iraq for 100 years", that they were clueless and that with either McCain or Obama the troops were going to be there regardless.

Another Obama lie.

I think we should wait to see if the troop withdrawals happen according to the schedule, which starts next month IIRC. If it doesn't, I agree - it will have been a lie.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 04:10 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I'm not sure how anybody can call it a lie until the deadlines established by Obama is not met.

From USA Today:
Quote:
Obama officially announces Iraq troop withdrawals
Buzz up!
Like this story? Share it with Yahoo! Buzz

Q1x00102_9 USA TODAY's Tom Vanden Brook reports that President Obama has officially announced his plans for a sharp cutback in troops in Iraq. He says Obama, in a trip to Camp Lejeune in North Carolina, said the U.S. combat mission in Iraq will end in August 2010 with the removal of about 90,000 troops.

Here's Vanden Brook's file:

The president plans to leave a force of about 50,000 to advise and support Iraqi security forces and conduct counter-terrorism missions. By removing most troops from Iraq over the next 18 months, Obama will free up forces to fight in Afghanistan and relieve stress on Marine and Army forces that have been repeatedly deployed. There are about 142,000 troops in Iraq, where violence has fallen sharply to 2004 levels. Last week, Obama ordered 17,000 more troops to Afghanistan to bolster the U.S. force of 38,000 fighting a growing insurgency there.

About two brigades per month can be removed from Iraq. Brigades consist of about 3,500 troops. However, the pace of withdrawal will likely be dictated by security concerns in Iraq. U.S. commanders, for instance, have maintained high levels of forces during elections there. National elections in Iraq are scheduled at the end of this year.

Obama's plan has drawn criticism from leaders of his own party. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid told reporters that the residual force of 50,000 U.S. troops is too large.

Update at 12:22 p.m. ET: Obama tells the troops: "Let me say this as plainly as I can -- by Aug. 31, 2010, our combat mission in Iraq will end." He also said all U.S. troops would be out of Iraq by the end of 2011.

"America’s men and women in uniform have fought block by block, province by province, year after year, to give the Iraqis this chance to choose a better future," the president said. "Now, we must ask the Iraqi people to seize it."

Update at 2:18 p.m. ET: Rep. Dennis Kucinich, who was a candidate for the Democratic presidential nomination in 2008, says he supports the president for "taking a step in the right direction in Iraq, but I do not think that his plan goes far enough."

"You cannot leave combat troops in a foreign country to conduct combat operations and call it the end of the war," the Ohio Democrat says. "You can’t be in and out at the same time."
Foxfyre

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 04:21 pm
I don't know anything about this source, but given the extreme silence regarding troop withdrawal in Iraq and pretty much a news blackout on Iraq at all, I suspect this may be correct and the surrogate media hopes nobody will notice:

Quote:
US reneges on Iraq withdrawal promises
Thu, 25 Jun 2009 14:48:24 GMT

The United States retracts its initial promise of commitment to withdrawing its troops from Iraqi cities by the end of the month of June.

On Wednesday, a spokesman for the US military in Iraq, Brigadier General Steve Lanza, said a number of the country's troops are to remain in the urban areas after the June 30 deadline, Reuters reported.

Earlier, the US commander in Iraq, General Ray Odierno, had claimed that the military was 'absolutely committed' and had largely honored the US security agreement signed with Baghdad.

The security agreement envisages a withdrawal from the war-torn country.

Lanza cited "stability" concerns for maintaining some troop level in "Joint Security Stations" to train and advise Iraqi security forces.

The remaining contingents are to be 'extremely small", he claimed.

The US official added that "on 1 July we're not going to see this big black puff of smoke as everybody leaves the cities" based on the military's claim that it had managed to bring about a respite in al-Qaeda-linked attacks.

This is while Pentagon officials have been using "rises in violence" to prolong the US military presence in the oil-rich country.

Late last month, US Army Chief of Staff Gen. George Casey said Washington was to maintain its combat troops in Iraq for another 10 years despite the agreement.

He cited global trends which were "pushing in the wrong direction" to explain potential "fundamental changes" in the Army.

The military's recurrent decision changes have put an end to Iraq's hopes of regaining its sovereignty and the complete US troop withdrawal which the US had vowed would take effect by 2011.
http://presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=99036&sectionid=3510203

But if this is true, I bet the true disciples will nevertheless go right on trusting and believing everything they're being spoon fed about government healthcare, deficits, spending, stimulus, new jobs, and all the other stuff.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 04:28 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxie wrote:
Quote:
But if this is true, I bet the true disciples will nevertheless go right on trusting and believing everything they're being spoon fed about government healthcare, deficits, spending, stimulus, new jobs, and all the other stuff.

Nothing like Foxie's spoon fed rhetoric from Sowell. She swallows before chewing. LOL

She puts everybody in the same category as she herself puts herself and her MACs in all the time.

Obama's been in office for only six months, and you have no evidence that the government's health care (now in committee), deficits, spending stimulus and new jobs are not proven. Job loss for last month was half of the going rate for the preceding six months. What do you want? Miracles? Go pray to your god for that!~
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 04:28 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
Thomas Sowell, who is on the record that he is NOT a registered Republican, presented a column this week that could have been written specifically for this thread. I hope all who think the stability of our nation may depend on the Democratic majority being defanged in 2010 and President Obama defeated in 2012 will read this and think about what he is saying.

Dr. Sowell wrote and wrote and wrote during the campaign valiantly attempting to warn us what we were getting with Barack Obama, but he went largely unheeded. So far, just about everything he warned us about has come true or is coming true. That, in my opinion, greatly increases the odds that he is correct about this too:

Thomas Sowell wrote:
Both the domestic and the foreign policy direction of the current administration in Washington are leading this country into dangerous waters, from which we may or may not be able to return. . . . a nuclear-armed sponsor of international terrorism like Iran are not things from which any country is guaranteed to recover.

Just two nuclear bombs were enough to get Japan to surrender in World War II. It is hard to believe that it would take much more than that for the United States of America to surrender " especially with people in control of both the White House and the Congress who were for turning tail and running in Iraq just a couple of years ago.

Perhaps people who are busy gushing over the Obama cult today might do well to stop and think about what it would mean for their grand-daughters to live under sharia law.

The glib pieties in Barack Obama's televised sermonettes will not stop Iran from becoming a nuclear terrorist nation. Time is running out fast and we will be lucky if it doesn't happen in the first term of this president....

Foxfyre, the self-ordained most intelligent and the most educated and the most cognitively superior person to ever live and post on a discussion board, has proclaimed that Thomas Sowell, her personal pen pal, is the great NONPARTISAN soothsayer and his dire predictions of future doom and subjugation at the hands of a nuclear Iran will likely come true! What can be done says the fear-mongering soothsayer and his devout follower and pen pal? Well, before we reach that very, very SCARY point of no return which we are fast approaching maybe even tomorrow, we must overthrow the Democrats!!!!!!!!! or else!!!!!!!!

The conservative army of right wing soldiers have no choice--unless they want their granddaughters to live under sharia law--but to answer the call. As expected from those who play these "O Fortuna" moments of our lives, these soldiers are crawling out of the woodwork and gunning down abortion doctors and museum guards in order to defeat the democrats and to stop nuclear Iran! We must give these selfless patriots a cup of tea!
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 04:32 pm
@Debra Law,
They're already drinking something, and it's not tea. Whatever it is, they've lost all reality and common sense. They arrive at conclusions nobody on this planet has, and she still claims to be the best educated of all!

What a putz!
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 04:34 pm
@Debra Law,
Quote:
Thomas Sowell, who is on the record that he is NOT a registered Republican ...

He must be preparing the faithful for a soon to come admission of some sort of sexual deviance/dalliance?
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 04:35 pm
@JTT,
Maybe, he's preparing himself to run for president, and declare himself a MAC. LOL
0 Replies